Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
Not to Worry

Default Hunting on Long Island

I am thinking of hunting on Long Island. I understand I need landowner permission, tree stands etc., but I cannot find the rules and regulations online. Does anyone have a link that shows all of the current rules?

I guess the big question I have is if crossbows are allowed?
Not to Worry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Here's some info...

http://www.bestcrossbowsource.com/cr...new-hampshire/
Not to Worry (10-30-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
jetlag100

I thought there was no hunting allowed on the islands? Enlighten me
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag100 View Post
Hunting on the Islands makes so much sense. Hardly anyone is on the islands in November and there are far too many deer on many of the islands. It seems like a perfect way to keep these rat like animals in check as well as the terrible Lyme disease they proliferate.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default go to section 301.03

Parts of it cover Governor's Island and Long Island. Permits needed on both.

One of these days I need to take the course (again) and start hunting again.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
DickR

Default Bwmanh

It is my understanding that the bulk of the taking of deer on Long Island is done through the BWMANH organization (http://www.bwmanh.org/), although there may be participants not associated with BWMANH who take deer with permission of landowners where the tree stand is placed.

The program was begun in 1996 to address the overpopulation of deer on Long Island. The preferred term is "deer reduction" rather than "hunting." A minimum of one acre of land is required to qualify a property to be used in the program, although two abutters providing permission with a total area meeting the minimum can make their properties available. The landowner can impose any restrictions on how the property can be used for the purpose, and of course the state has is own rules.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:20 PM   #7
Newbiesaukee

As I am still on Long Island this does affect me. My understanding, which may be imperfect, is that only bow and arrow is allowed and I believe there are retrictions to certain days.

It is my observation that there are far fewer deer now than there were even a few years ago. I am not against the hunt, but I doubt this would have much real effect on Lyme disease, but, absent any real data, only an opinion.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
Tomt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag100 View Post
I was also under the assumption there was no hunting on islands. Evidently there are some exceptions

"Long Island and Governor’s Island Deer Permits: allows the taking of deer on Long and Governor’s Islands, respectively. Written landowner permission required on forms available at the Region 2 office in New Hampton or at Headquarters in Concord. Many special restrictions. All ages. For more information, contact the Wildlife Division at 603-271-2461."
Tomt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:51 AM   #9
Kamper

I think the 'no hunting on islands' refers to guns. In the past though, the state has hired 'marksmen' to cull on at least one of the islands.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:49 AM   #10
Greene's Basin Girl

At one time the state only allowed disabled people hunting privileges on Long Island
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:11 AM   #11
DickR

Default Location of state rules for Long Island

If you want to look up the rules, see section Fis 301.032 here:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rule...es/fis300.html

Fis 301.032 Long Island Deer Permit.

The program runs from October 1 to December 15, with no taking of deer on weekends until November 1, nor on Columbus Day, or the four days beginning Thanksgiving Day. The landowner can further restrict this.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
Not to Worry (10-31-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 09:25 AM   #12
Tired of Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
The preferred term is "deer reduction" rather than "hunting." .
Preferred by who?

I hunt and help control the deer population by KILLING deer. I don't "harvest or cull or any of the PC terms. I kill them which in turn helps in controlling the population.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tired of Waiting For This Useful Post:
MAXUM (11-02-2014), Sue Doe-Nym (11-01-2014), upthesaukee (10-31-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 11:13 AM   #13
Not to Worry

Default Peta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of Waiting View Post
Preferred by who?

ToW

I guess that depends on which PETA group you belong too...People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals OR People Eating Tasty Animals.
Not to Worry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Not to Worry For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (11-14-2014), Tired of Waiting (11-01-2014), WakeboardMom (10-31-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 03:15 PM   #14
Kamper

FWIW: Hunting is a sporting activity. Culling is a task/chore/job/responsibility.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #15
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
At one time the state only allowed disabled people hunting privileges on Long Island
That was my understanding as well. I wonder when this law was changed?
Old 11-01-2014, 11:23 AM   #16
sum-r breeze

Default No fur coat for you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
As I am still on Long Island this does affect me. My understanding, which may be imperfect, is that only bow and arrow is allowed and I believe there are retrictions to certain days.

It is my observation that there are far fewer deer now than there were even a few years ago. I am not against the hunt, but I doubt this would have much real effect on Lyme disease, but, absent any real data, only an opinion.
Make sure you wear an ORANGE HAT when you go out of the house!!!!
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #17
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I did my part in deer population control, after just a mere hour on my stand this morning I dropped a 140 # dressed spike buckaroo. Now that's going to be some good eating. Easy 30 yard shot with the 50 cal.

There were some really nice looking deer being checked in this morning. Good luck to all the hunters out there.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (11-02-2014), secondcurve (11-01-2014), Tired of Waiting (11-02-2014), Winnisquamguy (11-02-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #18
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze View Post
Make sure you wear an ORANGE HAT when you go out of the house!!!!
As long as we seem to be straying from the topic....why orange? It always seemed to me that orange would almost be camouflage in the autumn forest. I am sure the hunters out there have the correct answer. Just curious.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
jetlag100 (11-01-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #19
jetlag100

Quote:
As long as we seem to be straying from the topic....why orange? It always seemed to me that orange would almost be camouflage in the autumn forest. I am sure the hunters out there have the correct answer. Just curious.
A favorite story: My Father in-law asked my Mother in-law to please buy him some new hankies for his hunting trip. She went and bought him white ones....he was pissed because he wears them hanging out of his back pocket! He didn't want to be mistaken for a white tail...LOL Still makes me wonder if she bought them on purpose
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jetlag100 For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (11-01-2014), sum-r breeze (11-10-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #20
fatlazyless

...says...I dunno about Deer Island but rite here on Meredith Neck ..... yesterday afternoon, Saturday, there was three older guys all decked out in camo head-to-toe with brite orange vests and hats and hunting rifles walking along the Meredith Neck Rd until one of them took a miss-step while avoiding a State of NH pothole and u-know he fell down into that deep pothole in the crumbly paved road there for about a minute until he was able to climb out of that deep, deep pot-hole in this un-numbered State road, the Meredith Neck Rd, and continue on his hunt for a deer.

There has been so many deers running around down there by the former Camp Monotomy that it should be pretty easy to find a deer to shoot..... but just be carefull and be sure to watch out for all those state potholes.....yikes! And, all the smarter deers have left for the swim across the water to nearby Bear Island becuz they know it's not legal to hunt on the island....so's just the dumb deer are left for easy hunting.....so's it's time to go line up the sights and go squeeze off a Camp Monotomy, former girl scout camp, deer dead today buddy! What with all the potholes, and all the deers, this road is definately a slow-go ....... kaboom!
Old 11-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #21
MAXUM

Quote:
It's not just orange it's "hunter orange", and the reason why is because believe it or not it stands out in the woods, similar to the florescent yellow the construction workers wear. It is imperative to wear this color so that other hunters can SEE you as you walk through the woods. When it's low light or in dense areas there is no mistaking that orange as it really stands out.

The reason is for safety obviously and even though most hunters do wear it some "old timers" don't which I cannot understand. Or there are complete idiots that go out in full head to toe camo which makes them impossible to see unless you happen to spot movement. There are sadly those hunters out there that are not very careful - will take a shot at a running animal (stupid beyond belief) and not pay close attention to their surroundings if they see something they want to take a shot at. The bright orange helps in identifying other hunters in the woods even at great distances. A hat is the best since it's the most elevated part of your body.

Please for all the NON-HUNTERS out there, if you take a walk in the woods this time of year, especially if you bring your animals with you wear plenty of orange too and put some on the animals too! It'll keep everyone safe both hunters and non hunters alike.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (11-02-2014), secondcurve (11-02-2014), upthesaukee (11-02-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #22
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
There has been so many deers running around down there by the former Camp Monotomy that it should be pretty easy to find a deer to shoot.....
Quite sure that is all posted so the "dumb deer" running around there aren't as dumb as you may think.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #23
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Hunting on the Islands makes so much sense. Hardly anyone is on the islands in November and there are far too many deer on many of the islands. It seems like a perfect way to keep these rat like animals in check as well as the terrible Lyme disease they proliferate.
"Rat Like animals"?? Not sure what Deer you've been seeing their an awesome looking animal to see all times of the year in my opinion. Sure they can pass on disease but what animal can't?? Wonder if their worried about catching Aids from us???
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #24
sum-r breeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
It's not just orange it's "hunter orange", and the reason why is because believe it or not it stands out in the woods, similar to the florescent yellow the construction workers wear. It is imperative to wear this color so that other hunters can SEE you as you walk through the woods. When it's low light or in dense areas there is no mistaking that orange as it really stands out.

The reason is for safety obviously and even though most hunters do wear it some "old timers" don't which I cannot understand. Or there are complete idiots that go out in full head to toe camo which makes them impossible to see unless you happen to spot movement. There are sadly those hunters out there that are not very careful - will take a shot at a running animal (stupid beyond belief) and not pay close attention to their surroundings if they see something they want to take a shot at. The bright orange helps in identifying other hunters in the woods even at great distances. A hat is the best since it's the most elevated part of your body.

Please for all the NON-HUNTERS out there, if you take a walk in the woods this time of year, especially if you bring your animals with you wear plenty of orange too and put some on the animals too! It'll keep everyone safe both hunters and non hunters alike.
I was just being a wise ass but you make a very good point!!
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #25
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
"Rat Like animals"?? Not sure what Deer you've been seeing their an awesome looking animal to see all times of the year in my opinion. Sure they can pass on disease but what animal can't?? Wonder if their worried about catching Aids from us???
They multiply like rats, they carry more diseases than rats and certainly do more damage than rats (car accidents and endless damage to bushes, flowers and gardens, etc.) so in my opinion they are like rats and quite frankly worse than rats. I'm not advocating the elimination of deer rather just a substantial reduction (50% in most areas) in their numbers to bring the herd to a sustainable level in the many over populated areas of the northeast.
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
rander7823 (11-11-2014)
Old 11-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #26
secondcurve

Quote:
Wonder if their worried about catching Aids from us???
Have you been doing something with the deer we wouldn't expect?
Old 11-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #27
jrc

I do a lot of hiking and I have my hunter orange hat for this time of year. I'm amazed when other hikers tell me not to bother because hunting isn't allowed near hiking trails. You can't teach some people.

That said, hunters accidentally shooting hikers is an exceedingly rare occurrence. I found one report in whole country in the last four years. Most hunters are pretty careful.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #28
Misty Blue

Default Blaze orange

I hunt, at least when I can. It pleases me to no end when walkers, joggers and dog walkers are showing their orange. Fido too!

So why orange. It is because deer's eyes don't work like ours.

It has to do with rods and cones in the eyes. Deer are nocturnal and can see in very low light but are very color blind.

We can see a good part of the color spectrum but aren't good at night vision. Remember "ROY G BIV?

Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet? Deer see at the end of the spectrum so Red And Orange are hard for them to see. Us people, we are on the other end of the spectrum and can see them great.

Funny but your old Grand Pa probably wore a woolen jacket and pants that were checkered red and black. Warm, quiet and possibly the most difficult thing for a deer to see!

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:22 PM   #29
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I do a lot of hiking and I have my hunter orange hat for this time of year. I'm amazed when other hikers tell me not to bother because hunting isn't allowed near hiking trails. You can't teach some people.

That said, hunters accidentally shooting hikers is an exceedingly rare occurrence. I found one report in whole country in the last four years. Most hunters are pretty careful.
JRC, was that the one in MA where the hunter shot a woman walking her dog (he was a state trooper). I don't remember all of the details.

My dog comes out every week for snomo trail work days, I always tie orange flagging tape in a bow around his neck.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote