Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 08:30 AM   #301
camp guy

Default Staffing issues for Summer of 2021

COVID, and all activities associated with COVID, became political, and once that happened the element of truth vanished behind a smokescreen of statistics. There is no easier way to confound an issue (any issue) than to start describing it with the use of numbers.
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
jtenner208 (01-08-2022)
Old 10-06-2021, 08:43 AM   #302
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
I’m curious the source of your information. I no longer trust any main stream media outlet. They all report/indoctrinate to support their narrative be it left or right.

The American labor force is currently 160 millionish workers. CDC states we are somewhere around 75% Vaxed. That leaves 40 million unvaxed. Yes some will cave but I believe the number will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 to 10% who will not. I draw this hypothesis from umbers reported by the teacher and hospital unions in the big cities on how many have not caved there.

Your reference to the Massachusetts state police union is contradicted by this Main Street source (not to be hypocritical) https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...-covid-vaccine

It states dozens did walk, but that’s irrelevant because the deadline is not until October 17th
Seems extreme to no longer trust any mainstream outlet, and ironic to imply that outlets outside the mainstream are more reliable. Groups outside the mainstream are typically even more focused on some narrow agenda, pretty much by definition.

I try to evaluate everything I read to understand potential bias and look for weaknesses. Some places--such as Fox and MSNBC--are obviously more biased than others--such as Wall Street Journal and New York Times. (I've tried to use balanced examples.)

On the specific examples you've asked for--Think has already provided a reference for the police. United Airlines has been covered in the Times, Fox vaccine requirements have been covered by Marketwatch.

But instead of discounting what I've written because you don't like the sources, I hope you'll check for yourself and let us know if you think United Airlines is paying a big price in lost labor, or if you doubt that Fox has been very tough on unvaxxed employees.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:15 AM   #303
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Seems extreme to no longer trust any mainstream outlet, and ironic to imply that outlets outside the mainstream are more reliable. Groups outside the mainstream are typically even more focused on some narrow agenda, pretty much by definition.

I try to evaluate everything I read to understand potential bias and look for weaknesses. Some places--such as Fox and MSNBC--are obviously more biased than others--such as Wall Street Journal and New York Times. (I've tried to use balanced examples.)

On the specific examples you've asked for--Think has already provided a reference for the police. United Airlines has been covered in the Times, Fox vaccine requirements have been covered by Marketwatch.

But instead of discounting what I've written because you don't like the sources, I hope you'll check for yourself and let us know if you think United Airlines is paying a big price in lost labor, or if you doubt that Fox has been very tough on unvaxxed employees.
Again here in lies another example as pointed out by Newbiesaukee. Of the sources you label as biased, you list Fox, which has shifted its biased a great deal ever since Murdoch stepped down and put it in the hands of his children. It’s audience is shrinking on a daily basis. On the non-biased side you list the New York Times. Seriously? A great deal of the miss information generator about the previous administration was originated there. Now proven as miss-information, there’s been minimal to no retraction.
The Following User Says Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
DEJ (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 10:34 AM   #304
gillygirl

Quote:
Again here in lies another example as pointed out by <b>Newbiesaukee</b>. Of the sources you label as biased, you list Fox, which has shifted its biased a great deal ever since Murdoch stepped down and put it in the hands of his children. It’s audience is shrinking on a daily basis. On the non-biased side you list the New York Times. Seriously? A great deal of the miss information generator about the previous administration was originated there. Now proven as miss-information, there’s been minimal to no retraction.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/fox-news-bias/

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/new-york-times/

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 10-06-2021, 10:41 AM   #305
FlyingScot

Quote:
Again here in lies another example as pointed out by Newbiesaukee. Of the sources you label as biased, you list Fox, which has shifted its biased a great deal ever since Murdoch stepped down and put it in the hands of his children. It’s audience is shrinking on a daily basis. On the non-biased side you list the New York Times. Seriously? A great deal of the miss information generator about the previous administration was originated there. Now proven as miss-information, there’s been minimal to no retraction.
When you say Fox has shifted its bias, I am not aware of this--do you mean more to left or more to right? As I understand it, they still broadcast several hours every night with hosts who minimize the need for vaccines and/or decry vaccine mandates. Also, Murdoch's more liberal son was fired, his more conservative son promoted, right?

I listed the Times as less biased than Fox and MSNBC, and I stand by that. If you have proven misinformation from the Times, please post instead of just asserting. I am not aware of any mistakes in the Times news sections that they have not corrected themselves. (Obviously the Times and Journal both have opinion sections laced with strong bias)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2021, 02:06 PM   #306
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Bias?

Christian Science Monitor beat them all for straightforward non-bias. They make the case for smallwe outfits that are not more left or right as suggested above. Unfortunately, the business model didn't work as well. Newspapers in general have their $$ problems, and want to be sensational to get readers, as do the TV networks. I watch both Fox and MSNBC. Of late, the reporting is amazingly similar, although each has some obvious slant in who they invite for guests. Politicians appear to refuse interviews from the opposition network resulting in self-made bias. At least Fox and MSNBC are pretty open. ABC, CBS and NBC, which I watch less frequently, seem to just sneak it in and pretend it's all news. Remember, we're just talking news here. The evening commentator shows are not pretending to be unbiased, so you (should) know what you're getting..
Old 10-06-2021, 07:42 PM   #307
John Mercier

All of that still has nothing to do with the number of employment openings as compared to those to fill them in the local area.

We had a labor shortage before covid, and will have one long afterward.

People seem to think when a business shuts down, it is like the past, where the newly unemployed seek another employment opportunity and fill a position - that isn't what is happening.

What is happening is the employees are seeking another employment opportunity, and because the business cannot find skilled reliable help, the business is shutting down.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:34 PM   #308
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
All of that still has nothing to do with the number of employment openings as compared to those to fill them in the local area.

We had a labor shortage before covid, and will have one long afterward.

People seem to think when a business shuts down, it is like the past, where the newly unemployed seek another employment opportunity and fill a position - that isn't what is happening.

What is happening is the employees are seeking another employment opportunity, and because the business cannot find skilled reliable help, the business is shutting down.
Not all businesses will close do to this labor crisis. From the Laconia Daily Sun
https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...2ced6930f.html
Old 10-06-2021, 09:46 PM   #309
John Mercier

I did not state all business.

Businesses that supply the environment that the limited labor supply has to offer will succeed.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:50 AM   #310
phoenix

Default quit rates

over 4M people quit their jobs in September. New Hampshire's quit rate compared to August was up 39% third highest in the country
Old 11-26-2021, 08:13 AM   #311
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Yup. We talked about this back in early summer, when we were discussing the end of the unemployment bump, hiring difficulties, and the phrase "great resignation."

Sometime after that, "The Big Quit" was coined.

As best I ever saw, the unemployment bump everyone blamed on the help shortage was negligible. It appears people weren't returning to work because the jobs they'd be returning to sucked or didn't pay well enough to jump through hoops.

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...d.php?p=358362

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2021, 10:07 AM   #312
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Seasonal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
over 4M people quit their jobs in September. New Hampshire's quit rate compared to August was up 39% third highest in the country
Is this the usual end of summer in NH tourist jobs?

(BTW, I was always taught that 'M' is the Roman numeral for 1,000, so 4M means 4,000. 4 Million would be 4MM. )
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Mgirard (12-01-2021), TCC (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 06:14 PM   #313
John Mercier

4 Millon, the roman numeral would not have a ''4'', and it is nationwide... with NH having comparable results.

People leaving for other jobs that they feel fit them better.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:30 PM   #314
camp guy

Default Quit rates

As a purist you are correct about 4MM, but over time the "purity" factor has slipped, considerably, and a hybrid, if you will, has emerged wherein people use "M" for "million" and whatever number they need to represent how many, not using an appropriate Roman configuration. "K" seems to be what is used instead of "M" when trying to indicate "thousands", along with the appropriate number to represent how many. Trying to represent a large number using the correct Roman numeral configuration would get rather cumbersome for everyday use and simplicity.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:08 AM   #315
LoveLakeLife

Camp Guy is dead on. MM is 2,000 in Rome.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 11-30-2021, 07:50 AM   #316
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I find it fascinating that Roman numerals are even used anymore.

To me they are nothing but a pain.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:24 AM   #317
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Hmmmm

I think it's fun to see what year that old time TV program was filmed. MCMLXIV!

Dave