Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2016, 09:22 PM   #1
Browndog

Smile Building Island Home

Hi, I am thinking about maybe some day in the future about building a home on Winnipesaukee, and after growing up on the island my whole life I would like to build on a an isalnd to give my kids the full experience that I got growing up. I am looking to see if anyone knows of a good builder in the area, that maybe specializes in island property. I havent bought a piece of land yet, because I want to see prices of building a home, before getting too involve. I need to keep my head above water if you know what I mean? So if anyone knows any builders who they strongly reccomend, let me know. Thanks
Browndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
Hi, I am thinking about maybe some day in the future about building a home on Winnipesaukee, and after growing up on the island my whole life I would like to build on a an isalnd to give my kids the full experience that I got growing up. I am looking to see if anyone knows of a good builder in the area, that maybe specializes in island property. I havent bought a piece of land yet, because I want to see prices of building a home, before getting too involve. I need to keep my head above water if you know what I mean? So if anyone knows any builders who they strongly reccomend, let me know. Thanks
Browndog: Congratulations on pursuing your dream of securing an island property for your family. I don't have any recommendations on a builder but as the economy has improved in recent years it has been harder and harder to get contractors to bid on projects never mind to actually complete projects. Given this reality and the fact that as you allude to the cost of building on an island is high due to the difficulty of getting there why not consider an existing property that someone else has already incurred the cost of developing?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Where?

If you find a builder you like and land you like and they are in different geographic areas, say Wolfeboro and Laconia, the logistics may cost a lot more. Most islands are pretty well developed, so there isn't much inventory of open lots that have good water, the exposure you want etc. I'd suggest you figure out where you want to be first, looking at things like exposure, cost to build a dock (deep or shallow water?) electricity, nearby mainland docking, etc. Then look for a builder. And, if you want financing, that's not like the mainland either. There are several threads on all of these issues
Operating out of Gilford, I like Island Support Services.

Last edited by Descant; 03-26-2016 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Added builder name
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:55 AM   #4
Bear Island South

http://islandservicecompany.com/

Check out Island Services in Meredith
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:30 PM   #5
Barney Bear

Default Fabulous Contractor

We highly recommend the Island Service Company in Meredith. They do high quality work and are great to work with. The ISC provides a wide variety of services including installing and removing seasonal docks, sewage system installations and servicing, opening and closing camps, and winter protection services. [See contact information in a previous post]. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #6
radioman

Default Building An Island Home

I wish to cast my vote for Island Services as well. I have known those guys for 15 years and never have I heard a single bad word about anyone and only great praise for their work!!
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:34 PM   #7
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

I view the main obstacle as being the non-existence of desirable vacant island lots. On Welch, I know of none. And sales of existing camps are rare. But looking for the rare to come along may beat looking for the lot that does not exist. So pick islands of interest to you, watch the RE ads and plan to buy an existing camp. Then renovate to your liking.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:26 PM   #8
Browndog

Smile

Thank you to all that have tajen the time to give me great advice. To be perfectly honest with you all, I one want to build because it has always been a dream of mine, whether or not that means tearing an existing cottage down, and second I want to build because my son who is 12 is in a wheelchair with severe autism, so I want to build so I can have the home suit his needs. I do see what you mean though when it comes to finding vacant land, and even properties with homes on them, it is nearly impossible right now to find the perfect location, and trust me I am looking everywhere, end to end, but I do prefer the Wolfeboro area because thats where my parents have now resided. Thanks to all for the good advjce, and please keepit coming.
Browndog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Browndog For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (03-27-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 06:38 PM   #9
DesertDweller

Here's a lot on Rattlesnake Island posted on this site:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...?do=ad&id=8159
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:21 PM   #10
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Well if you are serious about island property, the listing agent Nancy is awesome to work with and I personally recommend you consider having a chat with her and her husband. They not only specialize in island property but are islander's themselves. They are the best.

Like every piece of property you look at there are a number of considerations to keep in mind. It's really hard to figure this out without really spending some time out on the lake and look around. Once you do it will help narrow your search target.

Once you do find a place though - there is nothing like it!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Browndog: Congratulations on pursuing your dream of securing an island property for your family. I don't have any recommendations on a builder but as the economy has improved in recent years it has been harder and harder to get contractors to bid on projects never mind to actually complete projects. Given this reality and the fact that as you allude to the cost of building on an island is high due to the difficulty of getting there why not consider an existing property that someone else has already incurred the cost of developing?
There is truth in this statement about local builders. My last project back in 2009 was a disaster. Fired two builders that claimed to be 'premier builders' and renew my construction loan and permits 3 times at additional expense in order to complete the project. Good luck in finding a reputable builder.

You should consider a prefab home. Benson Woods out of Walpole recently built a very good friend of mine lake property. The company manage the project from start to finish in less than one month, not including the fabrication of the building and landscaping.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:50 AM   #12
SachemIslander

Default Built recently

We built from scratch on Mink starting about 3 years ago. It was a dream of mine as well. PM me if you have questions.
SachemIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:00 PM   #13
Descant

Default Prefab

Prefab has a lot of advantages for island construction. Modular may be a little tougher if you need a crane to place modules that are 12 x 40. Our camp (built 1960) was 4 x8 panels with roof trusses. Four men could carry and place everything, no heavy equipment and we only had to cut trees that were in the actual footprint. Of course, we had a backhoe to build the septic system, and that required some clearing for the leach field which is a raised mound. We had to barge over the gravel, sand, topsoil, etc.
Island Support Services does a lot of work on Rattlesnake if you like that lot that was listed above. Big plus: they have their own barge so they aren't at the mercy of an independent barge owner when it comes to barging equipment and materials.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:17 PM   #14
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
Hi Browndog,

I would highly recommend that you contact Steve Buzota of Island Support Services. Steve has an excellent reputation of doing quality work at decent prices. Steve has been building homes on the islands for years and knows all the ins and outs of island building.

Good luck!

Dan
Old 03-27-2016, 08:20 PM   #15
Descant

Default Phone

Call 293-4357; 293-HELP for Steve at ISS.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:38 AM   #16
codeman671

We built years ago on the islands. Steve at ISS built a log home for us, a kit that I got out of Canada. We were probably one of his first whole houses on the islands.

I would use Steve again in a heartbeat. Great guy.

There is a lot more to island building (and a lot more costs) than mainland building. It isn't for the feint of heart, and not for someone that needs to watch their checkbook carefully. Expect delays, cost overages, etc. Make sure you are available to be up there constantly to keep the process moving along.

Being that there really isn't anything out there for what I would call great lots, you may be better looking for a fixer. There are always a few lots on Rattlesnake for sale, but it takes a certain type of islander to want to deal with the wind and waves. We were in a protected harbor and had flat water when it was nasty "outside".

We have been looking around a bit ourselves, but just haven't found a lot we are in love with, or a fixer that makes sense for us. I lost a deal on one almost 2 years ago, and am still a bit sore on the way that one played out.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:55 AM   #17
Orion

Default beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Hi Browndog,

I would highly recommend that you contact Steve Buzota of Island Support Services. Steve has an excellent reputation of doing quality work at decent prices. Steve has been building homes on the islands for years and knows all the ins and outs of island building.

Dan
Make sure you get your quote in writing!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:09 AM   #18
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Make sure you get your quote in writing!
Fact. Whenever you get a quote for ANYTHING get it in writing!
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #19
Blue Thunder

Default short and sweet...

Building a home on an island adds AT LEAST 30% to the total cost of the project. Been there, done that.

BT
Old 03-30-2016, 08:51 AM   #20
Orion

Default sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
Fact. Whenever you get a quote for ANYTHING get it in writing!
It was a relatively small job (under $3K) and once upon a time, a handshake would have been enough. Sad.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:53 AM   #21
Orion

Default Maybe....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Building a home on an island adds AT LEAST 30% to the total cost of the project. Been there, done that.

BT
May be true, but your land costs will be less than half!
Old 03-30-2016, 09:50 AM   #22
Pricestavern

"...but it takes a certain type of islander to want to deal with the wind and waves."

Meaning, not quite right in the head!
But the views are magnificent!
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pricestavern For This Useful Post:
codeman671 (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 11:07 AM   #23
Orion

Default Not all islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
"...but it takes a certain type of islander to want to deal with the wind and waves."

Meaning, not quite right in the head!
But the views are magnificent!
Ah, but not all islands are created equal and many have access with only very rare, or no, "too rough to go" days.

And yes, we're all a bit crazy out here, but we're "family".
Old 03-30-2016, 12:17 PM   #24
CaptT820

Default New Islander

BrownDog-
I was in your shoes about 4 years ago, when the hunt for island property for me and my wife began. Not to immediately kill the dream, but it took us 3 1/2 years to find the right island parcel. We have literally looked at every available parcel over that time period. We closed on our Sleeper's Island property last October.

What islands are you looking at? I assume non-bridged islands. Depending on the island, the price can vary widely. Cow Island has some of the larger parcels on the lake, but you'll pay for it. Rattlesnake Island has by far the least expensive parcels on the lake nearly every year on the broads side of the island, but you NEED a breakwater (see cost at $25K-$50K on top of the land cost).

The direction the parcel faces is key and affects price as much as anything. Southern and Western facing parcels command a 25-50% premium over an East or Northern facing parcel. For the shoulder seasons (April, May, October, November) it is awfully nice to have the sun on your face when the water may be too cold to go in.

Cow Island parcels go for $225-$400K without a cabin. Rattlesnake Island parcels go for $90-175K without a cabin. Sleepers parcels go for $105-160K without a cabin. Basically to get a parcel with an existing USABLE structure you are looking at $200K minimum.

My wife and I were very fortunate to get a southern facing parcel on Sleepers for less than $150K. The previous owner had owned the property from 1972-2015, so like others have said, the properties do not become available very often.

Island property may be 30% more costly to develop, but they cost about 75% less to buy in the first place, so it lets you get your foot in the door.
CaptT820 is offline   Reply With Quote