Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2014, 08:14 PM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Power Outage

We lost power in Gilford a few minutes ago.

For those of you with web cams, power went out on Welch island about an hour ago.

Looks like my new generator just might save Thanksgiving for us!

Dan
welchislandman (11-27-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 11:02 PM   #2
chasedawg

Default Power outage

Lost power in Tuftonboro. Generator kicked on with no problem. Feel sorry for those who have to cook Thanksgiving dinner with no power. Thank you Generator Connection.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (11-27-2014)
Old 11-27-2014, 01:23 AM   #3
Eric Weiss

Default power down

Lost power just after 5pm in Alton.. still out at 1am. Hoping the crews can get things back before morning or Turkey day will prove to be interesting to say the least! :-) Does anyone one know if it's isolated pockets of outages or a cascade event?
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:59 AM   #4
ericnh

Default Power Outage map

http://www.psnh.com/outage/
ericnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:37 AM   #5
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Lucky in Gilford

We got lucky on this one. Never lost power or cable/phone in our subdivision, yet. All of our utilities are underground, I'm assuming that helped some.

On this Thanksgiving Day.. remember to say a Thank You to all of the public servants, police, fire, tow drivers and utility workers. Whatever over time they earn for this storm is well deserved.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:03 AM   #6
kjm45

Any outages in Wolfeboro?
kjm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:47 AM   #7
pjard

I am in Gilford and still have power...thank goodness, we have 35 people coming today. The latest outage map on the PSNH site say 65% of Gilford is out. Yikes...
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:00 AM   #8
Bear Island South

Our camera is out on Bear Island...we usually close up on this weekend but last Sunday was nice we took care of it then.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:30 AM   #9
DRH

Default West Alton

We lost power about 6:30pm yesterday. Still out at 7:30am today.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:20 AM   #10
RLW

Smile

Alton mountain appears to have lost it for about 8 hours along with cable. cable went out last and I believe it came back at the same time as power. Having no clocks that plugs in (battery) it is hard to tell exactly how long the power was out as the generator takes care of those type of problems.
We do have both now.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:07 AM   #11
Island Girl

Default Are you traveling?

We lost power here in MA at 12:30 yesterday... back just after 4. I am cooking the turkey.. luck was with us. Otherwise we would have had to travel in the snowstorm to my daughter's house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
We lost power about 6:30pm yesterday. Still out at 7:30am today.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:20 AM   #12
Mboro_Bill

Default Power outages in Suissevale?

The Suissevale business office answering machine was working earlier and the Moultonboro Bay Cam is still working but we are between the two and have seen very isolated outages before. Anyone know the extent of outage in Suissevale if any? We were planning on heading up in the morning.

TIA,
Bill V
Mboro_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #13
IslandRadio

Default No power on Rattlesnake

Looks as if the power went out on Rattlesnake just after 5:09 Wednesday afternoon.

Power is out here (in Townsend, MA) as of about 10:30 this morning. Cooking Thanksgiving food on generator power (something to be thankful for!).
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #14
Lakegeezer

Default Outage map

The NH Coop web site has a map of who is out. Here is the link. At the moment, it looks like 51% of Moultonborough is out. Glad I am out of town and not hosting the Thanksgiving dinner this year.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:05 PM   #15
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

An easy way to track the power outage in the Gilford area is to look down the column of webcam thumbnails on the WeirsCAM page. Right now the Echo Shores Cam, Snake Eyes, Smith Cove CAM and Varney Point CAM are all black and stuck on images from about 5 last night.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #16
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mboro_Bill View Post
The Suissevale business office answering machine was working earlier and the Moultonboro Bay Cam is still working but we are between the two and have seen very isolated outages before. Anyone know the extent of outage in Suissevale if any? We were planning on heading up in the morning.

TIA,
Bill V
Power was out at 4PM to 5:30 PM Wednesday, then 8PM Wed to 5AM Thurs, then out 9:30AM to 12:30 PM Thurs... its on this moment. The bay cam in on the house UPS which will last for days. Many streets are blocked with limbs of all sizes. Generator is still in the shed.

Glad I have a gas range and coal heat !
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #17
PaugusBayFireFighter

No power here near Christmas Island. I don't expect power to be on for a few days. There are trees down on powerlines everywhere around here.
My generator is paying dividends.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #18
Long Island Baba

Default Still no power on Long Island

We are still out. Nothing since 8pm Wednesday night. Called NH Electric Co-op and outtage was unknown. Huh? No estimate for restore, but likely tomorrow. Huh?
If you are without power I recommend you report in. Another family on LI called in and they too were unknown.
Geez.
Enjoy the quiet! Thank goodness for smart phones and recharging in a car!
Long Island Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:24 PM   #19
Kamper

Us southerners are taking hits too. I woke up at 3 with no power. Decided to grab some extra blankets instead of setting up the genny. I know folks who are still in the dark so will probably have company tonight.

Good luck to everybody!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #20
Fargo

Default No power

Still no power by the GI bridge in Wentworth Cove, doesn't look like the island has power.
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #21
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

We got power back at about 3:40 pm today here in West Alton; nice but not soon enough to save the day. While we have some generator support, it is not enough to put on Thanksgiving dinner for a large group. Fortunately they can all come tomorrow so the bird will get cooked only a day late. It won't be quiet with 5 grandchildren here but the activity will be welcome.

We hope that all the rest still waiting will get power back soon.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #22
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
We got power back at about 3:40 pm today here in West Alton; nice but not soon enough to save the day. While we have some generator support, it is not enough to put on Thanksgiving dinner for a large group. Fortunately they can all come tomorrow so the bird will get cooked only a day late. It won't be quiet with 5 grandchildren here but the activity will be welcome.

We hope that all the rest still waiting will get power back soon.
Our power was restored at the same time. Sorry your Thanksgiving dinner plans were upset, but it's good the family members can return tomorrow.

I drove to Gilford this morning and saw many trees down, broken limbs, etc. And the heavy, wet snow has the tree branches bending way down. The temp. didn't rise enough today for much of the snow on the trees to melt, so they are still very weighted down.
Slickcraft (11-27-2014)
Old 11-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #23
RLW

Smile

Mboro_Bill, I was just browsing through the forum and noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum after joining back in July 2006. We are glad that you have come aboard and joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Great to see you back after short sabbatical from the forum. Hope to see you more often joining in with the members.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #24
bclaker

We had a few flickers, but never lost power completely. Our power lines are under ground like Steve A's and we are close to the high lines in Laconia. We did lose power though, a few years ago.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:11 PM   #25
Mboro_Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Power was out at 4PM to 5:30 PM Wednesday, then 8PM Wed to 5AM Thurs, then out 9:30AM to 12:30 PM Thurs... its on this moment. The bay cam in on the house UPS which will last for days. Many streets are blocked with limbs of all sizes. Generator is still in the shed.

Glad I have a gas range and coal heat !
Thanks wifi. I wondered if you had backup power for the cam. Hopefully they will have the power restored tomorrow when we come up. If not we have the wood stove for warmth and the gas grill to cook on. Also hope the roads are clear. Maybe I should bring the chain saw with me.

Bill
Old 11-27-2014, 07:32 PM   #26
Mboro_Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
Mboro_Bill, I was just browsing through the forum and noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum after joining back in July 2006. We are glad that you have come aboard and joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Great to see you back after short sabbatical from the forum. Hope to see you more often joining in with the members.

Thanks RLW. Last couple of years we haven't been been able to get up to NH as much as we used to and I did not check the forum as frequently. I hope to do better in the future.

Hope everyone is having a great Thanksgiving.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #27
Mboro_Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
The NH Coop web site has a map of who is out. Here is the link. At the moment, it looks like 51% of Moultonborough is out. Glad I am out of town and not hosting the Thanksgiving dinner this year.
Thanks LG. I found this map earlier today but there were no reported outages near us. I checked again when we got home this evening and there are several more reports now - several are near us so I am pretty sure we have no power. Hopefully better news tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:03 PM   #28
lobstadanca

Default No Power in West Alton

We've had no power since Wednesday at 6:00 PM in West Alton. Trees and wires down all around us. So grateful that we have a generator. Cable and internet came back this afternoon. We were able to have our Thanksgiving dinner although it was a challenge. My heart goes out to everyone who has no power and heat. Thanks to all who are working hard to restore power to everyone. It seems we may not have ours until the weekend...hoping it will be sooner.
lobstadanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:56 AM   #29
smith point boater

Thumbs up Power Back

Power came back around 5am on Smith Point. Happy to get up and turn off the generator!!! If you saw the trees down just in this area it is astounding they got the power back to us this quick. Great job and thank you to those that made it happen
smith point boater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smith point boater For This Useful Post:
lobstadanca (11-29-2014)
Old 11-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #30
Natt

Default Power outage

Generator kicked on just fine. Runs the pump, refridge, freezer, some lights but not the elec oven in the gas stove. Got the wood fired oven going on the screen porch for the bird, came out great. First time we've done a whole turkey in it. We'll do another prime rib in the wood oven for Christmas.
Natt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #31
DickR

Yes, power on Long Island went around 8pm Wednesday, came back on for our part (NE) around 7pm Thursday. When the lights began to flicker now and then, I filled a big pot with water for drinking. That was a night to have the woodstove going, although I let it burn out late evening after turning in for the night. The house didn't lose more than a couple of degrees overnight. Thursday am we transferred much of the refrigerator contents to buckets of snow out on the deck, although some frozen stuff had thawed a bit. Buckets of water from the lake took care of toilet flushes and sponge bathing. Wife's after me to get going on a standby generator (again).

That NHEC map showed an area on the southern part of LI with about 60 customers still out as of late morning today. Overall they have restored about 90% of over 80,000 customers.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #32
Fargo

Default Power on

Power came on in Wentworth Cove by the GI bridge at noon today. Still lots of trees just waiting to fall down it appears.
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #33
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

FYI for everyone.

I just got a robo call from PSNH, figured I'd relay the content. They have brought in crews from all over to help out and have made significant progress in repairing MAJOR circuits which clearly need to be done before they can start tackling anything else. They anticipate having all customers restored no later than late Monday at this point.

I've been out of power since Wednesday evening here at the homestead in Hooksett and there is a fair amount of physical damage to the power lines around and no sign of any crews in the area yet. They have a lot of work to do to clean up after this storm.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #34
Kamper

It feels strange (but not bad) to have power when we were dark for so long the last two times.

I just found out one of my Nashua colleagues is still out and went to a hotel. I told her she could use my old genny but her husband has already left for work so she will stay at the hotel another night. If they aren't up tomorrow I'll go hook up their furnace for them and give them some cords for the basics. They don't have a 'cleaner' or battery backup so she won't be able to work but at least they won't blow all that on accommodations.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #35
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natt View Post
Generator kicked on just fine. Runs the pump, refridge, freezer, some lights but not the elec oven in the gas stove. Got the wood fired oven going on the screen porch for the bird, came out great. First time we've done a whole turkey in it. We'll do another prime rib in the wood oven for Christmas.
Nice! That is one of the finest stone ovens I have ever seen
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Natt (11-28-2014)
Old 11-28-2014, 06:55 PM   #36
Closetzguy

Sawyer Point area was back on around noon today!
Closetzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #37
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Weirs

A lot of power came back on in the Weirs Beach, White Oaks Road area about 7:00 PM tonight.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:36 AM   #38
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
A lot of power came back on in the Weirs Beach, White Oaks Road area about 7:00 PM tonight.
We got our power a little earlier, say 2:00. I saw they were headed towards the Weirs after our downed wire was repaired in front of the old CI Motel.

I was super prepared for this. Had the snowblower fueled and ready to go. The generator was also prepped with all the power cords and such ready to be deployed at a moments notice. I store them in my garage, at the ready for anything.
The only thing I didn't plan for was the most obvious. The large garage door I have, with an auto opener, doesn't work without electricity duh!
My back is why I retired and vertical lifting something as heavy as this is a huge no no for me. Had I not left the door open I would have been up the creek without a generator or snowblower.
Note to self...open garage door before any impending doom.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:44 AM   #39
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
We got our power a little earlier, say 2:00. I saw they were headed towards the Weirs after our downed wire was repaired in front of the old CI Motel.

I was super prepared for this. Had the snowblower fueled and ready to go. The generator was also prepped with all the power cords and such ready to be deployed at a moments notice. I store them in my garage, at the ready for anything.
The only thing I didn't plan for was the most obvious. The large garage door I have, with an auto opener, doesn't work without electricity duh!
My back is why I retired and vertical lifting something as heavy as this is a huge no no for me. Had I not left the door open I would have been up the creek without a generator or snowblower.
Note to self...open garage door before any impending doom.
Can't you just disconnect it?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:52 AM   #40
ApS

Lightbulb Suggestion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
The only thing I didn't plan for was the most obvious. The large garage door I have, with an auto opener, doesn't work without electricity
I have the same problem. Consider using an inexpensive "cable winch". (Come-along).

All that is needed is two large eye-bolts or screw-eyes. Install each piece of hardware close to a vertical line between the bottom of the door and the eave. When not needed, they can both be removed and readily re-installed. (Smaller eye-bolts or screw-eyes can be substituted using short lengths of stout line).

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #41
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Or......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
I have the same problem. Consider using an inexpensive "cable winch". (Come-along).

All that is needed is two large eye-bolts or screw-eyes. Install each piece of hardware close to a vertical line between the bottom of the door and the eave. When not needed, they can both be removed and readily re-installed. (Smaller eye-bolts or screw-eyes can be substituted using short lengths of stout line).

Mount the eye bolt on the door next to where the door opener arm attaches to the door and then mount the other to a rafter back in the area of the motor. Hook the cable winch to the eye at the motor, and the hook on the cable to the eye on the door. Unlatch the arm from the opener chain / cable and start cranking.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:48 AM   #42
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Can't you just disconnect it?
Yes, disconnecting an electric door opener is easy but then you need to lift the door, which isn't, especially with a back full of rods and bolts!

The solution is easy. I moved the generator into another outside storage area. Now if the power goes out I will run the generator and push the button!
Old 11-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #43
tis

Good, so you are all set. I can almost open my garage door with two fingers when it is disconnected. I wonder, are some easier than others?
Old 11-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #44
Lakeboater

Default weight and springs

tis, it depends on how heavy the door is and how strong the springs are.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #45
tis

Thanks, Lakeboater. I am glad I don't have to struggle with mine when I have power issues!
Old 11-29-2014, 05:50 PM   #46
Blue Thunder

Whether an overhead door has an opener or not, the spring adjustment should be the same. It shouldn't be any more difficult to open once the door has been disconnected from the opener.....
Old 11-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #47
Lakegeezer

Default Standby current

A battery backup (UPS) on just the garage door circuit shouldn't cost much and will let you have an operation cycle or two before the battery goes dead. Match the wattage of the motor to capacity of the backup unit.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #48
Kamper

I'd just move the snow blower outside and maybe put tarp over it.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #49
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Whether an overhead door has an opener or not, the spring adjustment should be the same. It shouldn't be any more difficult to open once the door has been disconnected from the opener.....
I have a motorized opener on my boathouse door and I have the two coiled springs wound tight enough that if I pull the safety release cord to the opener I could probably lift the door with one hand.

I could be wrong, but I assumed that the more work the springs did the less the wear on the motor would be. Now the motor doesn't have to work too hard to lift the door. You just have to be sure that the tension from the springs is even on both sides or the door will try to go up crooked. Not good! (I made that mistake)
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #50
wynndog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post

That WILL vary if the door is heavy wood,or a double door. I've had all 3.
wynndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:23 AM   #51
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynndog View Post
That WILL vary if the door is heavy wood,or a double door. I've had all 3.
Blue Thunder is correct, a heavy door should have a stronger spring. Any door's spring tension should be adjustable so that when the opener cable is disconnected the door will balance in the half open position.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/adjust-...ion-50655.html
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Blue Thunder (11-30-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 07:25 AM   #52
fatlazyless

Default ..... stormy tree tunnel?

Meredith Neck Rd, on the flat stretch close to the Camp Monotomy swampy-deer habitat area, now has a tree arch; a tree large enough that got all bent over the road weighed down by the icy snow at the start of the storm and it makes a tunnel, tree arch over the road big enough to drive a big town Kenworth snowplow underneath it.

I know that the State of NH owns this road, for some unknown reason, while the Town of Meredith does the snow removal, but do not know if it is the NH-DOT or the Town who has responcibility for removing this storm created large tree arch that's bent across and over the road.

It makes for a very scenic photograph so hopefully this new tree tunnel will be just left in place ..... like wow ..... just looky at that .... !
Old 11-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #53
Bear Island South

are you so fatlazyless that you can't even take a picture.

did you know with todays technology that you can take pictures with your phone and post them on the internet.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #54
SIKSUKR

Any overhead door should almost be almost neutral balanced and require very little effort to open manually. If it isnt then the springs should be checked/adjusted so excessive strain is not put on the motor/drive.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #55
Pine Island Guy

Default Pine Island back on the grid...

Thanks to NHEC, Pine Island power was restored this morning!

One item that helps is for island folks to walk along the power line trail to see what damage has occured (if they can). This helps NHEC understand what kinds of crews/materials are needed for restoration. For PI it was a nice walk in the woods Sunday morning, and found one tree across the lines, but no broken wires or downed poles. I then called in and gave them that update.

Obviously stay safe and stay clear of any wires!

Nice that even during a power outage we still have Verizon 4g and UPS to the webcams and house systems so we can monitor security, temperature, power, etc remotely.

When is ice in?!?! -PIG

Last edited by Pine Island Guy; 12-01-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote