Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-20-2020, 04:20 PM   #1
WinnisquamZ

We are asked to wear a mask to protect others. In Shaw’s today I saw three individuals no mask going the wrong way down each lane that are and I will be kind “very large”. If we assume they are “at risk individuals” why must I wear a mask if they are unwilling to help themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 05-20-2020, 04:57 PM   #2
coolyourjets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
We are asked to wear a mask to protect others. In Shaw’s today I saw three individuals no mask going the wrong way down each lane that are and I will be kind “very large”. If we assume they are “at risk individuals” why must I wear a mask if they are unwilling to help themselves.

Because you are the “bigger” person and care about yourself and others, even if they don’t care about themselves. The same reason you drive a reasonable speed limit while others fly by at 90 mph.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coolyourjets For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (05-20-2020), newbie (05-22-2020), Newbiesaukee (05-20-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 05:48 AM   #3
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,628 Times in 563 Posts

Speaking of statistics.....director of Health and Human Resources said yesterday that not a single healthy person has died of COVID in NH
80% were in long term care facilities and the rest were people who were compromised.
COPD,asthma,diabetes and high blood preasure put you at greater risk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-23-2021), Seaplane Pilot (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 07:21 AM   #4
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Speaking of statistics.....director of Health and Human Resources said yesterday that not a single healthy person has died of COVID in NH
80% were in long term care facilities and the rest were people who were compromised.
Perhaps trivial, but asthma does not seem to be an independent risk factor for Covid-19. There are multiple references to this in the literature. It is not an established fact, but it is interesting.

The problem is that I find it hard to believe anything I read. I am definitely not a conspiracy theorist, but perhaps not believing anything has been the purpose all along.

Although Samiam is basically correct, there is still a great deal we do NOT know about the novel coronavirus and low risk people including children DO die of the disease.

What we do not know is still, to me, the most concerning part of the pandemic.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Old 05-21-2020, 07:25 AM   #5
Flylady

Default High Risk Population

Quote:
This may be correct however based on my observations, what is the total percentage of "at-risk" population in NH? Seeing a large number of overweight people and seniors, I am guessing it is very high.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2020, 07:38 AM   #6
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylady View Post
This may be correct however based on my observations, what is the total percentage of "at-risk" population in NH? Seeing a large number of overweight people and seniors, I am guessing it is very high.
Yes....18% of NH residents are 65 or older and the NH obesity rate is 28%. NH is one of the “oldest” states and about in the middle for obesity.

Of course, you can be both old and fat.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Old 05-21-2020, 09:28 AM   #7
FlyingScot

Excellent article in today's Times describing how an earlier lockdown would have saved tens of thousands of people. A couple of things occur to me:

1) NH, due to its remote location, shut down earlier in its cycle than NY and Mass. So this is consistent with Sam's point.

2) As different states reopen at different speeds, we can see whether models like this are basically correct or incorrect. If these models/stats are worthwhile, we should expect to see fast openers (Georgia?) experience higher growth in the months to come.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/20/u...ng-deaths.html
Old 05-21-2020, 12:23 PM   #8
coolyourjets

Quote:
What makes this interesting is that there are over 7 million people in the US with undiagnosed diabetes. There are almost 4 million with undiagnosed heart disease. So many people are walking around thinking they are (relatively) healthy simply because the issue that makes them high risk has yet to be diagnosed.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:05 PM   #9
Taz

Quote:
Hind sight is 20/20 as they say. This is why looking back on it now long term care facilities/nursing home etc should have been in lockdown, protect the most vulnerable but let the rest who are healthy conduct normal daily activities and not shut everything down leading to a very hurt economy that some may never recover from or at least take years to recover from.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:15 PM   #10
Taz

Default spread

Now the CDC is saying Covid-19 is not spread easily from surfaces or objects. If thats true that could go a long way to opening things up.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #11
ishoot308

Thanked 4,958 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Now the CDC is saying Covid-19 is not spread easily from surfaces or objects. If thats true that could go a long way to opening things up.
Yes, that is what I read also.... and for some reason its OK to fly on a full airplane, which is happening every day now but we can't eat in a restaurant!
Old 05-21-2020, 02:22 PM   #12
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Yes, that is what I read also.... and for some reason its OK to fly on a full airplane, which is happening every day now but we can't eat in a restaurant!
That's kind of the point I was making last week. Despite the best of intentions there are 1001 ways we can all be exposed and probably have been but people are not dropping dead in the street by the hundreds. Considering how many people I see using masks and gloves wrong they might as well go be going around coughing on everything and licking the door handles.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:37 PM   #13
Taz

Default mask/gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
That's kind of the point I was making last week. Despite the best of intentions there are 1001 ways we can all be exposed and probably have been but people are not dropping dead in the street by the hundreds. Considering how many people I see using masks and gloves wrong they might as well go be going around coughing on everything and licking the door handles.
Yup, Masks are a joke, I don't know how many I see walking around with the mask on their chin. My wife who knows how to use a mask says most people are not using them properly. Also, how many know how to remove gloves without contaminating something or transmitting to your hands when removing? I saw my wife the other day somehow remove them by turning them inside out and disposing of them. How many people know that or do that? And now that the CDC is saying its not easily transmitted by touching surfaces or objects, maybe its moot.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:58 PM   #14
coolyourjets

Quote:
Yup, Masks are a joke, I don't know how many I see walking around with the mask on their chin. My wife who knows how to use a mask says most people are not using them properly. Also, how many know how to remove gloves without contaminating something or transmitting to your hands when removing? I saw my wife the other day somehow remove them by turning them inside out and disposing of them. How many people know that or do that? And now that the CDC is saying its not easily transmitted by touching surfaces or objects, maybe its moot.
Soooo...if someone walks around with their mask on their chin, I guess they're not wearing a mask, right. In that case, I would say they are absolutely ineffective. When worn properly, they offer some protection from you, possibly an asymptomatic carrier transmitting the disease to someone else.

As far as the movie drama some are trying to make this: No, people are not dropping the streets. They are however dying in hospitals after what can be a horrible period of illness.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/brian-h...virus-florida/
The Following User Says Thank You to coolyourjets For This Useful Post:
TCC (05-22-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 05:04 PM   #15
gravy boat

Quote:
Hind sight is 20/20 as they say. This is why looking back on it now long term care facilities/nursing home etc should have been in lockdown, protect the most vulnerable but let the rest who are healthy conduct normal daily activities and not shut everything down leading to a very hurt economy that some may never recover from or at least take years to recover from.
No matter how slowly or how fast businesses open up there will always, ALWAYS be those who will complain. I can't tell you how many people I still see online out there insisting that anybody no wearing a mask is being selfish. REALLY? I continue to social distance everywhere I go so a mask is not necessary. I have worked from home for 2+ years already and have seen even fewer people since early March. I disinfect as I go wherever I go. And I haven't seen my father who is in hospice in a nursing home since early March. And yet it's not enough for some people. Nothing ever will be for them.

Perhaps the complainers simply have zero concept about what business owners are going through as we continue lose income (2.5 months and counting, people) because we've sacrificed to help everyone by staying home while losing business and money. And not one of those people asking us to continue sacrificing will turn around and sacrifice a thing to help business owners financially. Not a one. Nobody has offered to sacrifice for ME by taking over my mortgage payments for the last 2.5 months. Nobody has offered to pay off MY vehicle to thank me.

So....if you are elderly or just afraid, then stay home. Same if you're immune compromised in any way. Just stay home and be safe and then you have no worries. And please accept that the rest of us need to get back to work. Because someone has to earn money to pay taxes to keep the government funded AND keep feeding social security and the other programs many of the complainers rely on.

I wish you all good health.

GB

Last edited by gravy boat; 05-21-2020 at 06:43 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to gravy boat For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (05-21-2020), Hillcountry (05-21-2020), ishoot308 (05-21-2020), jbolty (05-21-2020), Major (05-21-2020), SAMIAM (05-22-2020), Seaplane Pilot (05-21-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (05-21-2020), tis (05-23-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 06:00 PM   #16
FlyingScot

These posts remind me of an interesting article I read today that pointed out one of the ironies we're in--plenty of people with no expertise at all are completely confident they know the right answer or see the government's flaws very clearly, yet all of the epidemiologists preface their remarks by saying that there are many things we do not know.

Maybe we all need to step back and acknowledge that we're learning this stuff real-time
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-23-2021), Flylady (05-22-2020), Newbiesaukee (05-21-2020), TCC (05-22-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 07:43 PM   #17
garysanfran

Default When I have no knowledge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
These posts remind me of an interesting article I read today that pointed out one of the ironies we're in--plenty of people with no expertise at all are completely confident they know the right answer or see the government's flaws very clearly, yet all of the epidemiologists preface their remarks by saying that there are many things we do not know.

Maybe we all need to step back and acknowledge that we're learning this stuff real-time
I've always planned for the worst, and am happy if the best occurs.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Too many people I've know have always assumed "Everything will be OK". without the knowledge to make such an assumption.

The next months, years and decades will disect this event. Exposing the corruption that is occurring, the false news for political/financial gain, false science based on grants, ignorance, arrogance, ya d de ya de ya!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (05-22-2020), upthesaukee (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 08:45 PM   #18
dickiej

Basically, all the experts are just guessing....we really have no base line to use for comparison....this whole event has been fly by the seat of your pants trial and error. And, always remember, we only get the information the government wants us to know. I'm no conspiratorialist, but I can't help that we aren't getting the whole story....just saying....
Old 05-21-2020, 07:54 PM   #19
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy boat View Post
Nobody has offered to sacrifice for ME by taking over my mortgage payments for the last 2.5 months. Nobody has offered to pay off MY vehicle to thank me.
Sure I / we have.

You got a check for $1200.00 recently, didn't you?

My tax dollars at work.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:38 PM   #20
gravy boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Sure I / we have.

You got a check for $1200.00 recently, didn't you?

My tax dollars at work.

Nice try, but NO. Not a dime from the government in any way, shape or form. So I, along with YOU, get to see MY tax dollars at work.

No stimulus check. No SBA help. Nothing. Oh, we asked about the SBA loans through our bank but the money was gone fast. And no PPP because we are self-employed.

So again, ZERO assistance received from ANY government entity or person.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:26 PM   #21
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy boat View Post
Nice try, but NO. Not a dime from the government in any way, shape or form.
Now that is weird: I thought a check went out to all who filed tax returns in 2018 and / or 2019.

I was talking to someone who said they got paid twice.
gravy boat (05-24-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 12:07 PM   #22
gillygirl

Quote:
I just need someone to come up with a mask that doesn't fog my glasses.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 05-21-2020, 02:28 PM   #23
Mr. V

Quote:
NO, it won't, at least is shouldn't fo "a long way:" maybe "a short way."

The key is social distancing: avoid coming in contact with anyone less than six feet away.

Can't do that in planes, concerts, games, most restaurants.

OK for big box stores, car dealers: businesses with lots of room and the ability to truly maintain AND ENFORCE necessary social distancing.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:54 PM   #24
Taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
NO, it won't, at least is shouldn't fo "a long way:" maybe "a short way."

The key is social distancing: avoid coming in contact with anyone less than six feet away.

Can't do that in planes, concerts, games, most restaurants.

OK for big box stores, car dealers: businesses with lots of room and the ability to truly maintain AND ENFORCE necessary social distancing.
So are you going to social distsnce for the rest of your life? People waiting for a vaccine, think that's going to make everything better? 10'S of thousands die every year from the flu even with flu shots. Can't even get the flu shot right because it mutates and different strains evolve. Covid doesn't manifest into symptoms for many, most who get it recover, most that do die have compromised health just like the flu. Eventually gov'ts will have to allow reopening and let it run its course. Status quo can't continue forever. Covid is not suddenly disappearing. It's here for good.

Last edited by Taz; 05-22-2020 at 04:48 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Taz For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 12:55 AM   #25
Mr. V

Quote:
So are you going to social distsnce for the rest of your life?
No, just til I get innoculated.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:16 AM   #26
ApS

Red face Statistics...

Quote:
COPD, asthma, diabetes and high blood pressure put you at greater risk.
The good news...:

Nobody will die of heart attacks, flu, strokes, cancer, etc....during that period. (snark)
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (05-22-2020)