Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-02-2024, 04:17 PM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Boat Show

The boat show in Boston this year is a month earlier than normal. It starts next week for those interested....

https://www.newenglandboatshow.com

Dan
upthesaukee (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 11:31 PM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

I'm the guest of my grandson. A family tradition. We're going on Wednesday, January 10.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 06:33 PM   #3
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
The boat show in Boston this year is a month earlier than normal. It starts next week for those interested....

https://www.newenglandboatshow.com

Dan
Rumor has it there'll be something new at the Glendale docks this spring!

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2024, 07:11 PM   #4
SAB1

They got pushed to a new time slot
Something else got booked in the boat show normal time slot. Hard to believe since they had it for eons.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 07:29 PM   #5
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post

lol! Yup! It was totally my wife’s idea and fault so I’m in the clear!

Dan
Old 01-03-2024, 08:50 PM   #6
steve-on-mark

Quote:
lol! Yup! It was totally my wife’s idea and fault so I’m in the clear!

Dan
That's actually not the story I heard.....kidding, it's true... you're off the hook!

Old 01-04-2024, 09:08 AM   #7
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post
A Tiki boat with a liquor license?
Old 01-07-2024, 03:49 PM   #8
Cobalt 25

"A Tiki boat with a liquor license?"

...and a head?
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 04:17 PM   #9
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 View Post
"A Tiki boat with a liquor license?"

...and a head?
Ask and you shall receive...the head is already a thing on the big one!

Old 01-12-2024, 08:49 PM   #10
ishoot308

Default Boat Show

Went to the Boston boat show today and must say I was impressed!…No it was nothing like the Miami show…nor should it be… but for New England the best one I have been to!

Once again, Winnisquam Marine blew doors with 38 boats on display! Great job Winnisquam Marine and WOW! On their Facebook page there are many pics.

My favorite boat in the show however and I will say once again, are the Ranger Tugs….Dam, those boats are just so dam nice! Pics below. When I hit the lottery or retire and sell my home, I will own this boat and navigate to Exuma!

The show this year is well worth attending! I have been for many years in the past but this year was the best as there were many more exhibitors and the amount of boats there were really impressive! I recommend you go…

Dan
Attached Images

Hillcountry (01-12-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 10:22 PM   #11
Descant

Glad to hear the good report. We had to reschedule and will attend Saturday. Never done Miami, but did Atlantic City, NYC, Newport and Ft Lauderdale. There's a red Ranger Tug on Welch in the cove.
Old 01-12-2024, 11:24 PM   #12
Hillcountry

Quote:
Went to the Boston boat show today and must say I was impressed!…No it was nothing like the Miami show…nor should it be… but for New England the best one I have been to!

Once again, Winnisquam Marine blew doors with 38 boats on display! Great job Winnisquam Marine and WOW! On their Facebook page there are many pics.

My favorite boat in the show however and I will say once again, are the Ranger Tugs….Dam, those boats are just so dam nice! Pics below. When I hit the lottery or retire and sell my home, I will own this boat and navigate to Exuma!

The show this year is well worth attending! I have been for many years in the past but this year was the best as there were many more exhibitors and the amount of boats there were really impressive! I recommend you go…

Dan
Sure is a beauty, Dan!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 11:06 AM   #13
ishoot308

Default Nordic Tug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
There's a red Ranger Tug on Welch in the cove.
I believe the one you are referring to is a “Nordic Tug”…nice boat but different manufacturer. Same trawler style design though which I love!

Dan
Old 01-13-2024, 11:10 AM   #14
Descant

You're right.
Old 01-16-2024, 10:42 AM   #15
Skippermark

Quote:
Once again, Winnisquam Marine blew doors with 38 boats on display!

My favorite boat in the show however and I will say once again, are the Ranger Tugs….
We went too and were really impressed. There were several dealers from the Lakes Region present, but the Winnisquam display was huge.

Those Ranger Tugs are amazing. My son's 23 and being young you'd expect him to like the fast boats. He likes those, but he really likes the tugs...loves the idea of heading out and just stopping wherever you want, no need to find a hotel and all that.

I'd better start buying those lottery tickets too!
Attached Images

Skippermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 11:59 AM   #16
Descant

I was totally amazed by the number of boats with outboards--2 or 3 at 300hp each. I'm sure the tugs with a single (diesel?) engine will be fuel sippers.
Old 01-16-2024, 02:26 PM   #17
WinnisquamZ

Reading the boat show was a good take. Anyone buy a new boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 06:26 PM   #18
Descant

I really liked the 21' electric launch aimed at happy hour cruising. $49K including trailer seems a little heavy for a handful of such cruises in any given year. Maybe if I were on the mainland as a full time resident?

I miss the large area that used to be set aside for non-dealer vendors, electronics, accessories, clothing, teak furniture, etc. There were a few of these, but the number seems to decrease every year. Maybe because manufacturers are adding more of these products to the original package? That's certainly the case with electronics.
Old 01-17-2024, 07:37 AM   #19
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

The state of the economy and gas and grocery prices seem to be taking their toll on recreation spending.

Many dealers at the boat show reported business to be off by as much as 40% compared to the shows of previous years. There are several local dealers with large amounts of new 2023 boats that remain unsold. More of this will shake out. Many dealers have reduced their factory orders for 2024 boats until they clear out the unsold 2023 boats. They really need to move the 23's

If someone were in the market for a new boat now there may be some really good deals on new 2023 boats out there. Some boats will be sold below boat show pricing just to move unsold inventory.

If you have had your eyes on a new boat it won't hurt to visit a dealer and make an offer.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Major (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 09:42 AM   #20
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The state of the economy and gas and grocery prices seem to be taking their toll on recreation spending.

Many dealers at the boat show reported business to be off by as much as 40% compared to the shows of previous years. There are several local dealers with large amounts of new 2023 boats that remain unsold. More of this will shake out. Many dealers have reduced their factory orders for 2024 boats until they clear out the unsold 2023 boats. They really need to move the 23's

If someone were in the market for a new boat now there may be some really good deals on new 2023 boats out there. Some boats will be sold below boat show pricing just to move unsold inventory.

If you have had your eyes on a new boat it won't hurt to visit a dealer and make an offer.
Seeing the same. New boat prices have dropped substantially over the past two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 10:42 AM   #21
Skippermark

Quote:

There are several local dealers with large amounts of new 2023 boats that remain unsold. More of this will shake out. Many dealers have reduced their factory orders for 2024 boats until they clear out the unsold 2023 boats. They really need to move the 23's
Unfortunately, this seems to be the trend across other industries too. Drive past any auto dealer, and you'll see rows and rows of 2023 cars and trucks. The manufacturers want to get the 2024s out, but dealers have so many 2023s, they can't take anymore.

Boats are sort of like cell phones. They don't really change much year to year, and if I was in the market, I'd totally buy a 2023 because you're still getting the same factory warranty and likely paying significantly less.
Skippermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 12:19 PM   #22
Descant

Many issues here. The big jump in new boater numbers during the pandemic has likely leveled off. Are those people deciding the boating sports aren't as exciting as they thought? In many cases, whether dealer or private sale, you can't sell a boat if the new owner doesn't have a place to store it. Some dealers won't provide summer slips if you don't use them for winter storage too, etc. etc. Even if a marina can build more rack/valet space, there's a saturation point, as with trailers, as to how many boats can all be ready at the same time on Saturday morning. It's not all prices and interest rates. This is a complicated market.
Old 01-17-2024, 01:28 PM   #23
ishoot308

Quote:

Everything you say is very true! The only issue I see is that the MSRP on boats is NOT coming down and if anything continues to increase due to inflation and the cost of goods and materials.

The MSRP on boats is up at least 40% since 2021 (i’ll let you figure that out). So while we may see more dealer discounts off MSRP, whatever you pay for a boat now will still have been a lot cheaper in 2020….and yes while everything increases in price, these increases in materials over the last 3+ years have just been ridiculous and no dealer discounts will ever make up for it!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 01-17-2024 at 02:11 PM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 04:14 PM   #24
Descant

Default Msrp

I'm sure somebody out there has a more accurate wording for what MSRP really means. My guess is, that in a few years, as new models are introduced, the MSRP will trickle down. All the boats I've bought for myself have been used, so MSRP didn't mean much. I have been following boat slips, a necessity as noted above. 2-3 years ago at MVYC slips were selling overnight for whatever the asking price was, sometimes at a premium, and, it appears, for cash. There are currently 4 slips listed at MVYC and they've been on the market for some time. To buy a larger boat (at discounted MSRP) and ~$200K for a slip is a very limited customer base. I also follow vacation real estate and almost every day I get emails for price drops in diverse vacation RE markets. One lender told me that the people who paid top dollar in the pandemic aren't getting the rental returns they expected and are selling, without a profit (Amelia Island). People who bought with a HELOC are feeling the crunch as their interest rates went up. This isn't exactly a recession--we're talking about investments and recreation, but it is still a pattern. Markets should improve this year as they usually do with an election, and I expect we'll see good times again in 2025.
Old 01-17-2024, 05:26 PM   #25
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I'm sure somebody out there has a more accurate wording for what MSRP really means. My guess is, that in a few years, as new models are introduced, the MSRP will trickle down.
Unfortunately, I don’t think you will see the Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price go down on boats unless the cost of manufacturing that boat goes down. That just isn’t going to happen….it may level off but will never decrease.

I took the time to look up how much boats have gone up due to the hyper inflation we are experiencing…according to NMMA data, the average cost of an outboard equipped boat has gone up a whopping 44% in the past four years….

Dan
Old 01-17-2024, 06:26 PM   #26
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don’t think you will see the Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price go down on boats unless the cost of manufacturing that boat goes down. That just isn’t going to happen….it may level off but will never decrease.

I took the time to look up how much boats have gone up due to the hyper inflation we are experiencing…according to NMMA data, the average cost of an outboard equipped boat has gone up a whopping 44% in the past four years….

Dan
Just like cars, when they have trouble selling them the manufacturer offers discounts off MSRP and lower finance rates.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 06:50 PM   #27
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Just like cars, when they have trouble selling them the manufacturer offers discounts off MSRP and lower finance rates.
Exactly…

Dan
Old 01-17-2024, 10:39 PM   #28
Descant

Quote:

Dan
Thanks for the research. It is hard to comparer outboards this year with outboards from 4 years ago. So many boats this year had three or even four motors at 300 hp or 350 hp. I don't think that was the case a few years ago. Obviously, I didn't do an inventory, but the number of boats with multiple BIG hp outboards was dominant. Not so many kayaks, dinghys, sailboats this year. Outboard power was big.
Old 01-20-2024, 09:03 PM   #29
John Mercier

Quote:
I guess that would depend on their margins and how far they can afford to compress them.
Yamaha left snowmobiling, so maybe they are going harder into marine - but a little too soon to know for sure.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 08:07 AM   #30
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
I guess that would depend on their margins and how far they can afford to compress them.
Yamaha left snowmobiling, so maybe they are going harder into marine - but a little too soon to know for sure.
At some point, even if you're losing money, you have to move inventory to make room for newer models.
It's not like selling lumber, the lumber model doesn't change from year to year.
A 2X4 is still the same 2X4 from one year to the next.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 12:21 PM   #31
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
At some point, even if you're losing money, you have to move inventory to make room for newer models.
It's not like selling lumber, the lumber model doesn't change from year to year.
A 2X4 is still the same 2X4 from one year to the next.
I know of one dealer with multiple lines who usually orders over 100 new boats from one manufacturer each year. He has 70 left over 2023 models and has ordered 10 2024's. He may order more as time goes on but he wants to see how the 2023 boats are moving before he commits to more.

Most, if not all, area dealers are experiencing the same thing. Expect great pricing this year!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote