Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2022, 06:26 PM   #101
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Oh my... segregating the snowmobilers!!
I kind of had that thought too.... But with all the heavy clothes, it might be a good idea.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (12-15-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 07:48 PM   #102
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I kind of had that thought too.... But with all the heavy clothes, it might be a good idea.
Honestly it makes sense and I have seen it done this way in many other places. Snowmobilers when stopping need to remove layers of clothes, gloves, helmets, GPS units, etc, etc. A little extra room or room designed to accommodate snowmobilers and their gear would be very welcome I would think. I say kudos to them for making special accommodations!…

Dan
chasedawg (12-15-2022), secondcurve (12-14-2022), tis (12-14-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 09:52 PM   #103
Lakegeezer

Default Catering to snowmobilers

Off topic but on tangent, Haffner's Gas station (where 603 Fuel used to be on RT 25, across from Lake Kanasatka) is also setting aside eating areas for snowmobilers, with extra hooks on the wall for gear. Sounds like a good trend.
Old 12-14-2022, 12:16 AM   #104
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Honestly it makes sense and I have seen it done this way in many other places. Snowmobilers when stopping need to remove layers of clothes, gloves, helmets, GPS units, etc, etc. A little extra room or room designed to accommodate snowmobilers and their gear would be very welcome I would think. I say kudos to them for making special accommodations!…

Dan
I also think there's a different culture/expectation between everyday diners and groups of snowmobilers—I know whenever I go ATVing we've got...energy.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 09:34 AM   #105
secondcurve

Quote:
Kind of makes sense with the bulky clothing and boots, etc. Maybe at some point she makes that area a casual bar area? It sounds like she is trying….,
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (12-15-2022)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2022, 11:47 AM   #106
baygo

Quote:
Can you please give directions to there by sled from Tavern 27
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 02:07 PM   #107
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

I'm OK with having extra hooks and such but if you're trying to keep the "dirty" sledders or bikers out of the main dining area, that is different.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 08:37 AM   #108
secondcurve

Quote:
I'm OK with having extra hooks and such but if you're trying to keep the "dirty" sledders or bikers out of the main dining area, that is different.
I’ve entered restaurants as a “sledder” at the pizza barn on rte16 and as a a guy in a jacket going to a nice dinner in Boston. Same person but different dining needs at different points in time. Thus, I don’t think it has anything to do with “dirty sledders” but rather what type of experience a particular patron is seeking at a particular meal. She is trying to offer both types of dining experiences. I think that is good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Longtimelurker (12-15-2022), Susie Cougar (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 08:56 AM   #109
tis

Quote:
I think because of people talking about how stuffy she has tried to make it compared to what it was, is the reason we wonder if a separate section is degrading. It probably is not meant that way at all.
chasedawg (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 10:10 AM   #110
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Nothing wrong with a restaurant having a casual section and finer dining section to cater to both patrons.

Canoe does this by generally seating parties with children downstairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (12-15-2022), winterharbor59 (01-22-2023)
Old 12-15-2022, 01:27 PM   #111
watrskir

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
I’ve entered restaurants as a “sledder” at the pizza barn on rte16 and as a a guy in a jacket going to a nice dinner in Boston. Same person but different dining needs at different points in time. Thus, I don’t think it has anything to do with “dirty sledders” but rather what type of experience a particular patron is seeking at a particular meal. She is trying to offer both types of dining experiences. I think that is good.
I totally agree. And even with todays "clean fire" snowmobiles, your snowmobile gear smell like snowmobile... What might be ok for the group your with or other riders around you. Might not be appealing to others that don't ride.
watrskir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to watrskir For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 07:38 PM   #112
WinterHarborGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Nothing wrong with a restaurant having a casual section and finer dining section to cater to both patrons.

Also Woodshed does this with pub vs. dining room, and does it well, I think.
WinterHarborGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinterHarborGuy For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (12-15-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 05:47 AM   #113
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. But, you do have a choice. Can the snowmobilers go into the dining room if they want to?
Old 01-14-2023, 10:33 PM   #114
nplbw1

Default The Pine Cone is gone, get over it!

My wife and I decided to look for a new restaurant in the area tonight so we went to the "Winnipesaukee Forum" for restaurant advice. After reading all the bad things people were saying, we decided to check out the Birch & Vine for ourselves. When we arrived, we were greeted by one of the waitresses coming in to work who held the door for us. We sat at the bar and the hostess came over and said she needed to go over the evening meals with the staff and apologized that there would be a short wait to place an order. The bartender came over right after, was friendly and said she had to go to a short meeting about the dinner menu and quickly got us a drink. We sat for awhile, looked over the menu and decor with concern from what this forum had presented. The place was immaculate (including the bathrooms) and the menu had a nice variety of choices. We ordered an appetizer and while i tried to decide on which beer on tap to have, one of the waitresses gave her opinion on a couple which was very much appreciated and I enjoyed. We ordered our entrees which were very good and we had great conversation with some of the other locals. When the dinner check was delivered, we thought it seemed reasonable. Is this a burger joint? NO. Is is a clam shack? NO. It's a decent restaurant with fair prices (have you been to the new Woodshed?). I'm not sure who thinks this place is way over priced but we found our new place to go. BTW, the hostess was the owner and she seemed to welcome several customers by name. If you haven't been, check it out for yourself.
nplbw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nplbw1 For This Useful Post:
BrownstoneNorth (01-15-2023), ishoot308 (01-15-2023), KennyFromBoston (01-16-2023), MRD (01-15-2023), phoenix (01-15-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 03:58 PM   #115
jetskier

Post Dined There Last Weekend

My wife and I dropped in for dinner last weekend.

We were politely greeted as we entered and given the option of seating at several open tables. It was early, but the restaurant filled up quickly.

My wife ordered "lobster soup" as an appetizer which was actually lobster neuberg (including 2 full claws) with a puff pasty cap. She was delighted with the dish and wished we ordered two - I had the shrimp cocktail.

For dinner, I had the duck and she had the scallops. Both were terrific.

The food overall was some of the best that we have had in the lakes region and our only disappointment is that they had sold out of most of the desserts. We had been told that the desserts are exceptional.

I can't speak to the history of the restaurant, but we found everything to be great and we will certainly be back.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post:
BrownstoneNorth (01-15-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 05:49 PM   #116
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplbw1 View Post
My wife and I decided to look for a new restaurant in the area tonight so we went to the "Winnipesaukee Forum" for restaurant advice. After reading all the bad things people were saying, we decided to check out the Birch & Vine for ourselves. When we arrived, we were greeted by one of the waitresses coming in to work who held the door for us. We sat at the bar and the hostess came over and said she needed to go over the evening meals with the staff and apologized that there would be a short wait to place an order. The bartender came over right after, was friendly and said she had to go to a short meeting about the dinner menu and quickly got us a drink. We sat for awhile, looked over the menu and decor with concern from what this forum had presented. The place was immaculate (including the bathrooms) and the menu had a nice variety of choices. We ordered an appetizer and while i tried to decide on which beer on tap to have, one of the waitresses gave her opinion on a couple which was very much appreciated and I enjoyed. We ordered our entrees which were very good and we had great conversation with some of the other locals. When the dinner check was delivered, we thought it seemed reasonable. Is this a burger joint? NO. Is is a clam shack? NO. It's a decent restaurant with fair prices (have you been to the new Woodshed?). I'm not sure who thinks this place is way over priced but we found our new place to go. BTW, the hostess was the owner and she seemed to welcome several customers by name. If you haven't been, check it out for yourself.
We also have had a great dinner here !
Never , never ever , pay attention to forum reviews of new / changed establishments that are in the same location as a old standby establishment. Especially if the new restaurant charges a dime more then the restaurant that went under or if they attempt to make changes. The locals can’t handle change
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
phoenix (01-15-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 06:42 PM   #117
knowit

Just don’t go in your work clothes. They will ask you to leave.
knowit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 07:01 PM   #118
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowit View Post
Just don’t go in your work clothes. They will ask you to leave.

That is just horrible!!!!! I saw this: This is not going to help this restaurant at all.

"A pretty sad day when a member of our small community, who is one of the most honest and hard working people I have had the privilege of knowing and growing up with, is refused service and asked to leave because of the work clothes he was wearing"
winterharbor59 (01-22-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 01:44 AM   #119
Mr. V

Quote:
"A pretty sad day when a member of our small community, who is one of the most honest and hard working people I have had the privilege of knowing and growing up with, is refused service and asked to leave because of the work clothes he was wearing"
It depends on the work and the clothes.

Cops and attorneys cool.

Aromatic sewer workers: not cool.
Old 01-19-2023, 12:40 PM   #120
barefootbay

The haters just won’t quit will they !
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:19 AM   #121
WinterHarborGuy

Quote:
That is just horrible!!!!! I saw this: This is not going to help this restaurant at all.

What is the source of the quoted text? Is that a Facebook post?

If true, yes…a very bad look, is this a “I heard this happened” story, or a named person said it happened to them?
WinterHarborGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 04:58 PM   #122
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterHarborGuy View Post
What is the source of the quoted text? Is that a Facebook post?

If true, yes…a very bad look, is this a “I heard this happened” story, or a named person said it happened to them?

It was on a Tuftonboro forum and posted by someone I know very well and know that he would not post something that was not true. I heard by rumor mill who was not allowed in. I have no dog in this fight and don't care either way but I certainly don't feel banning people will help this restaurant.
WinterHarborGuy (01-23-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 06:30 PM   #123
secondcurve

Quote:
It was on a Tuftonboro forum and posted by someone I know very well and know that he would not post something that was not true. I heard by rumor mill who was not allowed in. I have no dog in this fight and don't care either way but I certainly don't feel banning people will help this restaurant.
The lakes region is a pretty casual place. I can’t imagine anyone being turned away for clothing unless they were dressed like a vagabond. There must be more to the story.

Thanks

Last edited by secondcurve; 01-20-2023 at 07:30 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
granitebox (01-20-2023), Susie Cougar (01-20-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 07:46 AM   #124
secondcurve

Quote:
How did the winter go for Birch and Vine? Were the snowmobilers OK with the separate area? Any accommodations for full time residents over the winter? Updates would be appreciated.

Thank you