Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-02-2008, 06:40 AM   #1
dpg

Default Signs, Signs, Signs

Driving home Sunday I noticed something that I found to be rather crazy. All the way down rte 93 there's signs every 2/10's of a mile which state rte 93 mile 46.6 then 46.4 then 46.2 ALL the way down the highway and also heading north. Is this really necessary and what's the purpose for installing hundreds and hundreds of signs simply marking every 2/10's??
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:45 AM   #2
AC2717

Default yup

those have been there for awhile extremly annoying!
Old 09-02-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Lightbulb My guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Driving home Sunday I noticed something that I found to be rather crazy. All the way down rte 93 there's signs every 2/10's of a mile which state rte 93 mile 46.6 then 46.4 then 46.2 ALL the way down the highway and also heading north. Is this really necessary and what's the purpose for installing hundreds and hundreds of signs simply marking every 2/10's??
I wondered about those signs too until I remembered the last time I needed to know exactly where I was on the highway.

It probably helps the police to better explain a location when they write a ticket or make a report. Ever try to tell AAA exactly where you broke down? Or reported an accident? Or traveled in a caravan? It's very handy to have a nice specific reference of where you are on the road. You could also use the markers to help check the accuracy of your speedometer or odometer. There are probably more reasons others will add.

One of my favorite "rather crazy" roads sign is:

This warning about menacing sidewalk protection is near a sharp CURVE in the road. (really)

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:52 AM   #4
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper of the Sea Que View Post
...It probably helps the police to better explain a location when they write a ticket or make a report. Ever try to tell AAA exactly where you broke down? Or reported an accident? Or traveled in a caravan? It's very handy to have a nice specific reference of where you are on the road...

Al pretty much hit the nail on the head here.

I think many folks would be surprised at the volume of 911 calls that are placed daily from motorists. Many motorists, especially those travelling through the State, are usually not very aware of their location. These mile markers make it very easy for a motorist and responding emergency personnel to easily pinpoint the location of needed aid. And as Al has alluded to, it makes it easy for emergency personnel and dispatch centers to pinpoint the location of their assets and dispatch them appropriately where aid is needed.

I can tell you personally that they are utilized on a daily basis and have proven their worth many times over in minimizing response time to calls for service.

Yep, just like a bad case of hiccups, they can be very annoying when you place them up front in your thoughts....but I believe the distraction is far outweighed by their benefits!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:31 AM   #5
chipj29

I have noticed that in the winter time, when a car skids off I-93 in the snow, it will take out one of those mile markers almost every time. It is kinda funny, like they have a magnetic forcefield pulling the sliding car into it.

Anyway, I think they are a good idea. Probably wasn't cheap to do, but a good thing to have for safety. I have heard that they really increase emergency response time.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
Merrymeeting

My favorite is currently on Kings Highway / Middleton Rd in Middleton

It says "Road Construction Next 5.02 Miles"

The decimal point is extremely small, so when you first see it, it appears you will be driving in construction for 502 miles! Then you realize what it really says, which makes you wonder if the measurements are really that exact and will you notice

Wouldn't "Next 5 miles" be good enough?
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:08 AM   #7
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Al pretty much hit the nail on the head here.

I think many folks would be surprised at the volume of 911 calls that are placed daily from motorists. Many motorists, especially those travelling through the State, are usually not very aware of their location. These mile markers make it very easy for a motorist and responding emergency personnel to easily pinpoint the location of needed aid. And as Al has alluded to, it makes it easy for emergency personnel and dispatch centers to pinpoint the location of their assets and dispatch them appropriately where aid is needed.

I can tell you personally that they are utilized on a daily basis and have proven their worth many times over in minimizing response time to calls for service.

Yep, just like a bad case of hiccups, they can be very annoying when you place them up front in your thoughts....but I believe the distraction is far outweighed by their benefits!
Yeah I suppose they would be a help for emergencies but their just annoying when your tooling down the highway. Especially when your wife and dog are sound asleep. If only the dog would stay awake for some conversation.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
sa meredith

Default driving home...

I frequently drive home, from exit 23 to 2, at 6 AM on Saturday mornings (I work just about every Saturday), and often times, because of Friday night activities, I feel less than perfect (get it?). Any those darn things get into my head, and I can't stop looking at them. Somehow, they make the drive and hangover a bit worse. It's tough, after seeing one of them, to ignore them. Drives me bonckers...
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #9
KBoater

Default Speed signs

The latest thing in FL inside communities is to post speeds such as 19 or 21 as the miles on the speed sign. The object is to catch the drivers attention. It works.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #10
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Mile Markers

I like the Mile Markers. I do about 50,000 miles per year as a "traveling salesman". I have called in accidents, obvious "impaired" drivers and breakdowns. The various 911 or State Police have always thanked me for reporting the exact location of the problem. I think they help to maybe get rescue or police to the right place ASAP. JMHO.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:17 AM   #11
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

My favorite sign is "BRAKE FOR MOOSE"....first time I saw one I said to myself....."Dam...good thing that sign was there....if I saw a moose cross the road,I'd never think to stop....just drive right into him,wreck the car and kill the moose"......D.O.S......saving lives every day
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #12
Merrymeeting

I've often wondered how the moose and deer know to only cross at the designated crossings...and if they don't, do they get a jaywalking ticket?

Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote