Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2007, 11:33 AM   #1
hilltopper

Default Meredith snowmobilers / Sno-Streakers members

I moved to Meredith in May. I plan to do the bulk of my riding in Northern VT, but would still like to check out the Lakes Region trails.

Trail 15 borders my property. I'm probably 5 or 6 miles north of Lake Winni on trail 15. If you come off Meredith Bay, head north to 15, and then north on 15, you cross Keyser Road which is basically where I'm located..

Judging from what I can see from the trails along route 104 towards and into New Hampton, the club has been doing some grooming on trail 300 (I could be mistaken). I'm wondering if bodies of water not yet being frozen would/is keeping the groomers from heading north on 15 towards Center Harbor? Please don't misinterpret this post as complaining. I ask because I'd like to bring the sled home from northern VT this weekend but probably won't until the trail is packed or groomed. After all, my Yamaha Viper isn't exactly a powder sled!

http://www.sno-streakers.com/maps.html

Thanks for any feedback!

hilltopper
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
trfour

Post The Trails Are Not Open Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
I moved to Meredith in May. I plan to do the bulk of my riding in Northern VT, but would still like to check out the Lakes Region trails.

Trail 15 borders my property. I'm probably 5 or 6 miles north of Lake Winni on trail 15. If you come off Meredith Bay, head north to 15, and then north on 15, you cross Keyser Road which is basically where I'm located..

Judging from what I can see from the trails along route 104 towards and into New Hampton, the club has been doing some grooming on trail 300 (I could be mistaken). I'm wondering if bodies of water not yet being frozen would/is keeping the groomers from heading north on 15 towards Center Harbor? Please don't misinterpret this post as complaining. I ask because I'd like to bring the sled home from northern VT this weekend but probably won't until the trail is packed or groomed. After all, my Yamaha Viper isn't exactly a powder sled!

Thanks for any feedback!

hilltopper
hilltopper,

Trails are not open for riding yet; http://www.sno-streakers.com/trailreports.html

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
secondcurve

Trfour:

I think the trail updates are stale on that site. I rode 53 miles on Saturday the 23rd. Obviously, conditions have worsened since that time due to the rain, but there was a period of very good sledding last week. We went from Tuftonboro through Castle in the Clouds (The one trail that remains open) and into the Ossippee Mountains and through to Mount Whitter then south on the railroad tracks to the crossover trail that leads back to Tuftonboro. All in all it was a spectacular ride. I'm not sure of the condition of Winnipesaukee, but the in land route was excellent.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Sno-Streakers Snowmobile Club

I have not been real impressed with this clubs website. I expect more info and update more often. Many other clubs have nice up to date web sites. I know they are volunteers. Maybe this club is having a tougher time getting active volunteers.

I have been a member of this club in past years and do most of my riding in Meredith, Moultonboro, Plymouth & Rumney. I really love the Rumney/Plymouth trails.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
hilltopper

I actually ran into and spoke with the guy that does the web site the other day. Real nice fella so I made it a point not to comment on the web site (although I tend to agree with Old Hubbard Rd).

Apparently the scoop is that the state is not allowing access to the RR tracks in the Merdith area until January 3rd. Sounds like the groomer, which is new by the way, is somewhere down accross the road from Hart's and obviously needs the RR tracks to access it's trail system. What I don't understand is that I see obvious signs of snowmobiles using those same tracks (I think they are the same) when driving along Winona Road heading the back way from Meredith to Ashland.

Another thing I didn't understand is, looking at the trail map on the Sno-Streakers web site, to groom the northern parts of their trail system (15 headed toward Center Harbor and the trail that heads to Little Squam) the groomer would have to take trail 15 accross Lake Waukewan. However, the gentleman I talked to stated that the groomers do not cross bodies of water, which is understandable. So, how do the northern sections get groomed (or do they not get groomed)?

hilltopper
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2007, 10:04 AM   #6
trfour

Default Trail Conditions

An update from the state of NH. http://www.nhtrails.org/Trailspages/...oTrlCndtn.html

Trail openings can be delayed due to weather conditions, so it's a good idea to call ahead of time.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:06 AM   #7
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Grooming

The trails over by The Mug and behind Aubouchons Hardware heading toward Little Squam have never been maintained well. I'm not sure that the trails are even wide enough to handle the width of the groomer. In fairness to the club, they bought this groomer new about 3-4 years ago and the groomer really has not seen much action. We have not had good snow fall amounts since the grommer was purchased. I think the railroad beds in Meredith officially open begining of January. Good question about crossing the lakes. How do you groom the other side?? I REALLY enjoy the trails up Plymouth & Rumney area. The only problem with that is getting from Meredith to Plymouth/Rumney and back is sometimes bumby.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
hilltopper

Where did you go on the 29th Old Hubbard Road? I did 70 miles in northern VT that were mostly excellent. Still a lot of water bars. Had to turn around at one that I wouldn't have driven my truck through!
Old 01-02-2008, 09:08 PM   #9
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Where did we ride??

Quote:
Where did you go on the 29th Old Hubbard Road? I did 70 miles in northern VT that were mostly excellent. Still a lot of water bars. Had to turn around at one that I wouldn't have driven my truck through!
We trailered our sleds up to the Common Man in Plymouth. From there we hit the best trails!! We went up Plymouth toward Rumney & Warren. We hit several trails as we head to Lyme. They we spectacular!! We did 65-70 miles.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #10
hilltopper

Have definitely heard great thinks about that Baker River Valley club. Can't wait to get over there.

Looks like they recently groomed the section of trail 15 by my place. Get it while you can. This warmup unfortunately looks like it will have a serious impact on Lakes Region trails.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #11
Weirs guy

Quote:
Apparently the scoop is that the state is not allowing access to the RR tracks in the Merdith area until January 3rd.
hilltopper
Seems to me that the RR tracks are/could/used-to-be used by the Winni railroad till after Jan 1st?

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:26 AM   #12
imalocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirs guy View Post
Seems to me that the RR tracks are/could/used-to-be used by the Winni railroad till after Jan 1st?
Even though some people have been riding the rails, they are not officially opened to snowmobile traffic until Jan 6th.
imalocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:18 AM   #13
hilltopper

So I wonder how trail 15 by my place (where it crosses Keyser Road) got groomed? If the groomer is across the road from Hart's it would need to (1) use the railroad tracks and (2) cross Waukewan to access this section of trail 15. Maybe the Moultonborough club came south with their groomer?
Old 01-04-2008, 04:56 PM   #14
ossipeeboater

Quote:
So I wonder how trail 15 by my place (where it crosses Keyser Road) got groomed? If the groomer is across the road from Hart's it would need to (1) use the railroad tracks and (2) cross Waukewan to access this section of trail 15. Maybe the Moultonborough club came south with their groomer?
check out sledNH.com, lots of good snowmobiling info their including the lakes region and winnoturn in a moultonboro club member who could probably answer if they do that part of the trail system.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #15
imalocal

Quote:
The groomer that the club has is able to drive over the road, so it can access that end of town via the roads.
imalocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #16
hilltopper

Thanks for the info. Here's hoping this warmup won't end sledding in this area, but I suspect it will until the cold and snow resume...
Old 01-09-2008, 08:52 PM   #17
Old Hubbard Rd

Default No response from Sno-Streakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd View Post
I have not been real impressed with this clubs website. I expect more info and update more often. Many other clubs have nice up to date web sites. I know they are volunteers. Maybe this club is having a tougher time getting active volunteers.

I have been a member of this club in past years and do most of my riding in Meredith, Moultonboro, Plymouth & Rumney. I really love the Rumney/Plymouth trails.

I still have not heard back from from any of my emails sent to the Sno-streaker.