Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2006, 04:07 PM   #1
tricia1218

Thumbs down SpeedPass

I finally decided get the speed pass for the Concord tolls. I received my Mass Speed Pass and much to my surprise this thing is huge, like 1984 cell phone huge.
I showed it to a couple of friends who also have the Mass speed pass and they laughed at how big it was compared to theirs. There is no way I can mount this on a windsheild!?!
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #2
TomC

Default there are 2 types

one is a (roughly) square 3" to a side that attaches to the windshield with a sort of velcro type system (made of rubber/plastic). the other is larger and meant to mount on the front bumper/plate of the car.

Maybe you got the latter?
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:26 PM   #3
jrc

If you have certain cars with special glass, the windshield ones don't work. Maybe they send you a license plate version if your car model is one of the ones that don't work.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:01 PM   #4
Pepper

TomC and jrc - I think you guys hit the nail on the head. Depending upon how you answer the questions in the online questionairre, you will either qualify for the windshield version, or the front-mount version. Sounds like Tricia's got an unfavorable windshield, and got stuck with the monster version!
Old 06-22-2006, 03:22 PM   #5
tricia1218

Yes i do believe i received either the bumper mount or the 1806 version of the speedpass oh well, I will get over it, and on the road if I am ever in need of a 6 ft peice of plastic i will be all set!
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2006, 09:44 PM   #6
Airwaves

Default So is this a one shot deal?

So how does this thing work?

I don't often have to travel to MetroWest these days, however on a recent occasion that I had to make the trip it was terrible!

Are the EZ Passes and Fast Lane passes and whatever else individual states want to call them, compatible?

I am more than willing to invest in one if I know that it is also interchangeable with NH, MA, NY, RI, VT, ME, CT etc.

Is it?
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:50 PM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Check out this link

this may help you figure out where you can use EZ Pass. Kinda like Presque Isle ME to Virginia Beach VA !!!!!

http://www.ezpassnh.com/static/info/facilities.shtml

hope that helps.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #8
William_Philipp

Default Yeah the big one...

Yeah I have the big EZ pass for my truck on my license plate. Only problem with it is..well this is my third one in 2 years, they always break, I think because of constant highway use it must get hit with stuff.
William_Philipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:50 PM   #9
The Worm

Default Speed Pass & Privacy

Interesting article regarding Speed Pass and privacy issues in today's Salem (MA) newspaper.

News
Police can use E-ZPass data to track drivers

(single page view)
(view as multiple pages)

MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) — E-ZPass data can be a useful tool for police — a fact highlighted by the state police investigation of congressional candidate Gary Dodds' accident.

Dodds crashed his car into a guardrail on the Spaulding Turnpike on the night of April 5. He said he wandered away, swam across the Bellamy River, then huddled in the woods for warmth until he was found a day later.

Dodds, 41, of Rye, has not been charged with any crime. However, state police have said his account of the accident did not jibe with certain facts and that there is evidence of three crimes related to the extensive search for him after the accident: theft of services, falsifying physical evidence and false public alarms.

In court papers unsealed last week, investigators said that when Dodds was found, his shoes were soaking wet, yet his clothes were dry. He spoke of a head injury, but had no visible bumps or bruises on his head and there was no damage to the car indicating that he had hit his head, police said. Also, no one saw or heard him cross the river.

Dodds also said he never drove through the Dover toll that night, but E-ZPass data showed his car passing through both the Dover and Rochester tolls.

Since the electronic toll system was installed last summer, there have been six law enforcement requests for E-Z Pass data showing the time and place each transponder passes through a tollbooth, said Department of Transportation spokesman Bill Boynton.

Transportation Commissioner Carol Murray said the first request came from the FBI and involved a bank robbery.

The other four requests came from the Merrimack County attorney's office; the Middlesex County district attorney's office in Massachusetts; and Massachusetts State Police (two requests). Authorities did not release any more information about those cases.

New Hampshire, one of the last states on the east coast to join the E-ZPass system, has tighter restrictions on the release of information than some other states.

"As you can imagine, privacy issues we knew would be big. Other toll authorities told us what to expect," Murray said.

The data is exempt from the state's Right to Know Law, meaning it is not public. Information that identifies vehicles, their owners and drivers, or the E-ZPass account holder can be used only for administering the system.

"Where a citizen travels is no one's business but his own," said state Rep. Neal Kurk, R-Weare, a leading privacy advocate in the Legislature.

Law enforcement agencies must persuade a judge there is evidence of a possible crime and get a subpoena to obtain transponder information from the Transportation Department. The data is not kept in-state, to make it more anonymous, Murray said.

Electronic data is kept for 60 days and video images of the license plates on vehicles passing through the tolls are retained for 30 days under the Transportation Department's rules, unless there is a violation. Then, they are kept longer, Murray said.

"We do not hand over information to someone who wants to see if his son or daughter went through the tolls or if somebody's boyfriend went through the tolls," she said.

In Dodds' case, state police asked for the records shortly after the accident, while he was still missing, Boynton said. It showed that Dodds went south through the Dover tolls at 7:39 p.m. His accident occurred on the southbound side of the highway at 8:17 p.m., but north of the toll plaza. Dodds was found about a mile away, 27 hours later.

The Worm...
The Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:35 AM   #10
Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves
So how does this thing work?

I don't often have to travel to MetroWest these days, however on a recent occasion that I had to make the trip it was terrible!

Are the EZ Passes and Fast Lane passes and whatever else individual states want to call them, compatible?

I am more than willing to invest in one if I know that it is also interchangeable with NH, MA, NY, RI, VT, ME, CT etc.

Is it?
We live in the metrowest area and although we hardly use the Pike, we bought the fastlane module when it first came out. We've only had to replace it once so far (knocking on wood). We have used it all the way down to MD on the EZ pass systems to visit my sister and love the fact that we can now use it at the tolls in NH. Before NH, our balance hardly went down at about .40 cents a trip to the mall on ocassion but it does go down a lot faster going through NH now. We just keep replenishing it as needed. But it's a heck of a lot better than sitting in line at a toll. My son just got one for graduation from his uncle. He bought his I believe on line from NJ EZ pass system. He said it was cheaper. Hope this helps in your decision.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:14 AM   #11
ghfromaltonbay

Default Out of state EZ Pass

The only problem with having a non-NH EZ pass is the fact that you pay the full toll in NH. I have an EZ Pass from the NY Thruway authority and get the discount when using the Tappan Zee, George Washington Bridge, and the Triboro bridge authority bridges to Long Island. I also get the off-hour discounts on the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway. Yet, because I don't have a NH EZ Pass I pay full price on the Everett & Spaulding Tpke. as well as at the Hampton Tolls on I-95! I think this is unconstitutional. Why do we have to pay full fare in NH while travelling on U.S. Interstates? Aren't these federal highways??? The NY Thruway authority did not charge me anything for the transponder and yet they can afford to allow discounts for any EZ Pass user no matter what the state of origin. NH is ripping us off.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:32 AM   #12
jrc

I agree that the state of your residence should not be used to determine toll charges. But it is and I'm sure it's constitutional, it's really no different than colleges having different tuitions for in-state students.

But the state where you purchased your transponder should not be used to determine toll charges. If NH wants to give discounts to it's citizens, why should it matter that I got my transponder in NJ long before NH adopted EZPASS? I guess I'll have to break down and switch to an NH transponder.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:43 PM   #13
ghfromaltonbay

Default Federal highway system

My questioning of the constitutionality has to do with the fact that all of these roads are interstate (federal) highways and therefore I questioned why 1 state can penalize non-residents on federal roads. None of the other states along the northeast corridor penalize non-residents.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:09 AM   #14
Skip

Default Thought your inquiry was "tongue in cheek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay
My questioning of the constitutionality has to do with the fact that all of these roads are interstate (federal) highways and therefore I questioned why 1 state can penalize non-residents on federal roads. None of the other states along the northeast corridor penalize non-residents.
Didn't respond to your first post on constitutionality as I thought you may have been using hyperbole to make a valid point....

Anyway, even though the roads we are talking about are designated (in most part) as part of the national highway system, the roads are in most cases maintained largely by the State in which they are located with funds received in part by the toll system.

Yes, many of the roads were built with and are still partially maintained by federal grants. However, a significant amount of maintenance, upkeep and expansion is borne by the residents of the State in which the road may be located along with assistance by the user in the form of tolls.

Remember, the Troopers that patrol the highways, the road crews that clean, repair & plow the ways and the State agencies that coordinate repairs, upgrades and future expansion do so at the State level with State supplied funding.

And since each State in the northeast corridor have differing ways of raising State revenues using vastly different methods of taxation, each State is free to approach the toll issue as it's lawmakers believe is fair and equitable.

Just as it is not unconstitutional for each State to have it's own varying method of general taxation to sustain State government (even though each State government recieves untold financial assistance from the federal coffers) it is not a violation of someone's constitutional right that these same States approach road toll levies from different perspectives.

Skip...
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote