Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2006, 07:40 PM   #1
JL Girl

Default Things that Go Bump in the Night (Daytime too!)

Have been meaning to write this one for a while. What, in your opinon, Forum-ers, is the road with the worst frost heaves? I thought the Neck Road wasn't too great with its heaves just before the Geneva Point and Trexlers turns, but when I traveled to Wolfeboro on Route 109, about a mile or two past Suissevale, I encountered the worst frost heaves I've ever seen. Talk about continuous "hills and valleys" frost heaves....in addition, the middle of the driving lanes along a good portion of Route 109 are beginning to heave up, scattering asphalt, as if giant worms lived beneath and wanted to get out! You cannot drive the speed limit in this stretch but of course, there were those that went "barreling over" them! Hope to see some "nominations!"
JL Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:07 PM   #2
arthurc

Try Route 171 out of Wolfeboro. It's a disaster.
arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:38 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Rte 140 Alton to Belmont, although it is starting to smooth down a little.

Close to home, Rand Hill Rd from Alton Mt Rd to Rte 11 out by 11D made bouncing balls out of the smoothest riding vehicles. Nice scrape marks on the pavement right after a few of them .
Old 03-30-2006, 10:50 PM   #4
Pepper

I have no idea what the name of the road is, but if you travel from downtown Belmont toward the outlet malls on Rte 140, and make a right hand turn down past Pine Gardens, the road eventually takes you over the bridge at the reservoir. The last section of road, between the reservoir and Rte. 3 is the most horrible thing I've ever encountered! Waldo and I were on that road on Monday, with my poor mother-in-law in the backseat - I encountered the first HEAVE without warning as it was hiding in a batch of shade. The front of the car went airborne, and I hit the brakes HARD. We then proceeded to pick our way along for the next quarter mile or so, doing about 4mph and weaving around the hazards. Some fellow in a pickup truck going the other way was traveling at about 60 and nearly flew off the road before getting under control and proceeding along.

I cannot imagine what the folks who live on that road must require in the way of car repairs after a month or so of those conditions!
Old 03-31-2006, 07:10 AM   #5
Paugus Bay Resident

Without a doubt 140 from Alton to 4 Corners. There is a spot by GIW where you almost have to stop. Last week I saw a cruiser on the side of the road with radar No body can go the speed limit, let alone over it

Rte 3 from the Belknap Mall to the Outlets is a close second, followed by anywhere on Union Ave.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2006, 09:15 AM   #6
Merrymeeting

I would second the vote for 109 in the Suissevale area. It's been like that for decades. I would add a vote for Rt. 28 from Locke Lake Colony to the Alton Circle.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote