Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Have you registered your snowmobile in NH for 2012
Yes 34 25.00%
No 102 75.00%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
Lakegeezer

Default Snowmobile Registration 2012

With the lack of good snow for snowmobiling in the lakes region, have you registered your snowmobile yet?
Old 01-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

X2 last weekend!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
HomeWood

I'm going to bring up my sled next week, but I'll leave it on the trailer if the conditions are the same as now. If I don't bring the sled, a huge blizzard will roll in and the riding will be fantastic. That's my luck!
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
Lake Fan

Been wondering the same thing. We do most of our riding on the lake in between chasing tip up flags. The way things are looking, ice skates might be more useful than the sleds.
Lake Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
watrskir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
With the lack of good snow for snowmobiling in the lakes region, have you registered your snowmobile yet?
YUP...registered at the beginning of Dec. Hoping to use it at least once!
watrskir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default As they Say Vote EARLY and OFFTEN

As they Say Vote EARLY and OFFTEN?

To those procrastinating about registering, The Clubs need your Registration money desperately in the coming physical year. Why you ask? The last several years even with good snow conditions overall Registration has been down significantly. As you know the Trails are funded solely by Snowmobile Registrations. This means there will be less and less money for New Grooming Equipment and Trial Maintenance. On top of this there will be NO Federal RPT Grants issued in 2012. Not sure how our National Legislators voted on this?

In past years with high registration numbers Clubs could shoot for a New Groomer (depending on needs) and 3 Trail Projects. This has been whittled down to New equipment being the exception and may be one Trail Project. Several years ago it was broken down to a choice, if you were looking for a New Groomer and Trail Works funds you the choice of one and not the other. There has been talk that in the future there would be more emphasis on spending monies on Refurbishing Groomers rather than buying New.

You should talk to your County Director some time and see how much goes into spreading what little funding is available when trying to share it equitably through out the State.

WINNOCTURN
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WINNOCTURN For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (01-30-2012), VitaBene (01-30-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #7
dpg

Sorry but I'm lovin the warm, snow-less winter so far... Us snow-haters were due...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
Lakegeezer

Default support your local clubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
As they Say Vote EARLY and OFFTEN?

To those procrastinating about registering, The Clubs need your Registration money desperately in the coming physical year.
The alternative that I chose was to join the club for the year - they need the $30 more than I - and stiffed the state.
Winnisquamguy (01-30-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
boat_guy64

Default Registered them all

I registered all 3 sleds. Have about 500 miles in so far this year. A little behind schedule for miles, but not too bad. If you love riding, you have to go where the snow is...
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
The alternative that I chose was to join the club for the year - they need the $30 more than I - and stiffed the state.
Currently Snowmobiling is dedicated funds. You didn't stiff the statesman. The clubs can use the money and Grant-in-Aid could use it too. Grant-in-Aid is the mechanism that the Bureau of Trails uses to distribute registration dollars back to the clubs for trail construction, equipment purchases, and grooming.

Registrations have been down in recent years due to the economy and will be way down this year due to the low snow and the economy. This is causing a huge scale back in funds being appropriated to clubs for the above mentioned items. Throw in the loss of RTP grants and it is almost a perfect storm for snowmobiling. Our sport will surely suffer.

Ohh, one other thing that is hurting clubs is the lack of volunteers. People are soo busy trying to keep up that clubs are not getting the volunteers as they did in the past. That and the fact the people aren't retiring at the same rate has the current retiree's getting a bit too old to be out working the trails like they used to and the new crop of retiree's aren't retiring quite yet.

We surely need a few good snowstorms!

Last edited by Irrigation Guy; 01-30-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Irrigation Guy For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (01-30-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 07:41 AM   #11
Belmont Resident

Default Where does the money go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor View Post
Currently Snowmobiling is dedicated funds. You didn't stiff the statesman. The clubs can use the money and Grant-in-Aid could use it too. Grant-in-Aid is the mechanism that the Bureau of Trails uses to distribute registration dollars back to the clubs for trail construction, equipment purchases, and grooming.

Registrations have been down in recent years due to the economy and will be way down this year due to the low snow and the economy. This is causing a huge scale back in funds being appropriated to clubs for the above mentioned items. Throw in the loss of RTP grants and it is almost a perfect storm for snowmobiling. Our sport will surely suffer.

Ohh, one other thing that is hurting clubs is the lack of volunteers. People are soo busy trying to keep up that clubs are not getting the volunteers as they did in the past. That and the fact the people aren't retiring at the same rate has the current retiree's getting a bit too old to be out working the trails like they used to and the new crop of retiree's aren't retiring quite yet.

We surely need a few good snowstorms!
Every few years registration fees go up. And although we no longer ride in NH it seems that every state is in the same boat. Where is the money going? Cost keep going up and clubs keep asking more, yet they should be getting more.
NH resident registration is almost the same as ME none resident, higher at $94 if you elect not to join the club yet NH has a fraction of the trails ME has. Even worse in Maine, resident registrations are only $41 while none resident are $89, yet many clubs in ME consist of mainly out of state or none resident volunteers doing trail work.
I used to do a lot of volunteer work for more than one club and always asked why it is none residents pay so much more yet seem to appreciate the trails more?
I used to agree with having separate resident and none resident registrations, but now I’ve come to realize that there should be no difference in the cost. We all ride the same trails why should there be a cost difference. What they should do is come up with a means to compensate those who do put time in doing trail work and have a reduced registration rate or none at all. But there are a lot of reasons that couldn’t work as well.
It is the same FEW who do all the work and get nothing but self satisfaction for having helped out.
For the time being this snowmobiler has stopped giving his time to the clubs. If the state I ride in is going to charge the residents less then half of what I pay then let them do the trail work or raise their rates and maybe residents will appreciate the trails more and want to help out with them.
At over $100 in gas to commute back and forth I’ve given up. I’ll pay my $89 and ride those same trails that will still be there weather I help out or not.

Think snow and happy trails!
Old 01-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Every few years registration fees go up. And although we no longer ride in NH it seems that every state is in the same boat. Where is the money going? Cost keep going up and clubs keep asking more, yet they should be getting more.
NH resident registration is almost the same as ME none resident, higher at $94 if you elect not to join the club yet NH has a fraction of the trails ME has. Even worse in Maine, resident registrations are only $41 while none resident are $89, yet many clubs in ME consist of mainly out of state or none resident volunteers doing trail work.
I used to do a lot of volunteer work for more than one club and always asked why it is none residents pay so much more yet seem to appreciate the trails more?
I used to agree with having separate resident and none resident registrations, but now I’ve come to realize that there should be no difference in the cost. We all ride the same trails why should there be a cost difference. What they should do is come up with a means to compensate those who do put time in doing trail work and have a reduced registration rate or none at all. But there are a lot of reasons that couldn’t work as well.
It is the same FEW who do all the work and get nothing but self satisfaction for having helped out.
For the time being this snowmobiler has stopped giving his time to the clubs. If the state I ride in is going to charge the residents less then half of what I pay then let them do the trail work or raise their rates and maybe residents will appreciate the trails more and want to help out with them.
At over $100 in gas to commute back and forth I’ve given up. I’ll pay my $89 and ride those same trails that will still be there weather I help out or not.

Think snow and happy trails!
Registration in NH had not gone up since 2004 before this most recent increase. Yes along the way joining a club became mandatory unless you wanted to pay a $30 surcharge per sled. This change may be seen as an increase by some but for those who already join a club it was not.

NH and Maine are totally different in the way trail funding goes. NH currently has dedicated funds Maine does not.

With exception of the northern most club (who need more control than having an all volunteer workforce can provide)all trail work and grooming in NH is done by Volunteers. Without Volunteers snowmobiling could not exist period.

I find it disheartening that someone who is as avid about snowmobiling as yourself would take the stance you are taking. The trails will be worse because of it. Just remember that if everyone took that stance or got tired of doing the lifting for others there would be no trails at all.

Edit: A lot more information about snowmobiling in NH including a breakdown of where the money goes can be found here:

http://www.nhstateparks.org/experien...formation.aspx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irrigation Guy For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (01-31-2012), watrskir (01-31-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 02:18 PM   #13
Irrigation Guy

Some won't click the link so I copied all the information below: Please review so as to avoid any confusion this is so very vital to the sport we all enjoy sooo much.

Where can I rent a snowmobile?
Snowmobile Rules and Laws

All snowmobiles and OHRVs must be registered if operated off of the owner’s property. A registration is a privilege to ride off of your own property on approved trails or with written land owner permission. There are no additional trail user fees in N.H.

2010/2011 OHRV or snowmobile registrations are valid from the date of issue through June 30, 2011 and are not prorated. New registration decals are typically available from OHRV Registration Agents.

When registering an OHRV or snowmobile the owner must:
Must be at least 18 years of age, present a valid driver’s license or non driver photo ID, and apply in person.
Must present a valid N.H. driver’s license or N.H. non driver photo ID to qualify for resident rates.
May bring previous registration certificate to the registration agency, or must provide the following vehicle information: year of manufacture, make, model, displacement, primary and secondary colors, and VIN. OHRVs are not titled in N.H. – no title, bill of sale or previous registration is required.
Will receive a new registration certificate and two decals. Must affix one decal on each side of the cowling or on the outside of the windshield, clearly visible and not obstructed.
Click here to view a brochure of the current rules, registration fees and other registration information.
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/OHRV...aws_Digest.pdf

For more information visit the N.H. Fish and Game site at: http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/OHRV/ohrv.htm

Resident (club member) - $64 | cost breakdown http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/..._Club_2010.pdf
Resident (non-club member) - $94 | cost breakdown http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/...nClub_2010.pdf
Non-resident (club member) - $84 | cost breakdown http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/..._Club_2010.pdf
Non-resident (non-club member) - $114 | cost breakdown http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/...nClub_2010.pdf

Effective July 1, 2010: Your registration fees are working to keep New Hampshire’s snowmobile trails some of the best and safest in the East. The state’s snowmobile community supported a fee increase in 2010/2011 to protect the quality of our trails.

How are the fees distributed? Most registration fees are distributed directly back to snowmobile clubs for trail maintenance activities through the N.H.Bureau of Trails Grant-in-Aid Program.

Why the increase? The answer is simple - costs are up. Clubs needed additional funds to avoid having to cut back on trail maintenance activities. Costs for fuel, bridge materials and grooming equipment have risen sharply, while fees have not changed since 2004.

What else are fees used for? Fees also pay for Snowmobile Safety Education and enforcement, which help make our trails safer for all users.

How do NH's registration fees compare to other states? New Hampshire’s snowmobile registration fees are still the lowest in New England.

Maintaining the Trails - Most registration fees are returned to local snowmobile clubs to help pay for trail maintenance through the Grant-in-Aid program run by the N.H. Bureau of Trails. This program does more than provide funding for fuel to groom the trails – it is also used for summer construction, including supplies such as bridge materials, and allows the Bureau of Trails to provide funding to maintain existing grooming equipment
and help replace worn-out equipment.

A Safer Ride - Registration fees also pay for Snowmobile Safety Education and Enforcement, coordinated by N.H. Fish and Game. Our safe trails help promote snowmobiling as a family friendly winter recreational opportunity. To find a class, visit the NH Fish and Game's OHRV and snowmobile information web page.

Reputation for Excellence - New Hampshire is nationally recognized for its wealth of wide, well-groomed snowmobile trails. By encouraging snowmobile club membership, providing Safety Education and enforcing OHRV laws, we are working together to provide you with a safe and enjoyable riding experience. These high standards are maintained by your registration fees.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Irrigation Guy For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (01-31-2012), VitaBene (01-31-2012), watrskir (01-31-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #14
Belmont Resident

Default Ok

So your numbers just proved that NH is more expensive then ME even without the added club fee for residents. But that really doesn’t make any difference because what drove us to ME was the 45 mph speed limit and the very limited off trail riding in NH.
As for my decision to no longer volunteer I'll live with any shortfalls.
But remember it’s a lot easier to criticize others when you probably help out in your local area, while we were driving 250 miles just to get to the club. And seeing the same people every time made me rethink my decision to help.
Also one thing that is very different from my experiences in ME. The local business owners who benefit from the influx of business tend to donate most if not all of the materials for bridges, excavating projects etc as well as gas money for the groomers.