Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
steve-on-mark

Default trail conditions to Castle in the Clouds

We're coming up to Gilford for the weekend with sleds and are wondering how the trail conditions are and what is the best way to get to the Castle in the Clouds. Thanks for any info!!
steve-on-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
hazelnut

Steve,

Conditions on the Moultonboro trail system have been fantastic this year due in large part to the team of volunteer groomers that put hundreds of hours of their time into grooming.

With that said you can access the Castle trail a couple of different ways. From Gilford - if you come across the ice there are access points in Winter Harbor, 19 Mile bay and Ambrose Cove in Moultonboro. Either way you want to eventually find Corridor 15. If you want to skip going across the middle of the lake you want to access the Meredith Trail that takes you into Center Harbor. You can get to Meredith via the RR Tracks from Paugus bay.

Once you are in Meredith bay if you go next to Lago you will access the trail that takes you to Center Harbor. You will eventually end up on Kanasatka and then you will continue down 15 on Moultonboro Neck. You will cross the lake at Ambrose cove marina and head across Route 109 to the base of the Castle trail. If you haven't been in a while there is no direct access to the Castle itself. The closest you get is about 1/4 of a mile away in a clearing below the castle itself. You can look at it there and then continue up several miles to the top of Mount Shaw where there are spectacular views of Mount Washington and Ossippee Lake.

Hope this helps.

Pick up a Moultonboro Trail map at practically any convenience store in a 10 mile radius. It will help you immensely.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
steve-on-mark

Thanks for the info!! Did I mention that my wife has an aversion to riding on any surface that at times is in liquid form! :-) Can we take 15 from the Weirs and stay on land all the way?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Dhuberty24

It is a long ride, but possible. You will have to jump on the ice in Meredith, to get to the trail by lagos. I know all the trails up there if you have any questions.
Dhuberty24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dhuberty24 For This Useful Post:
steve-on-mark (03-04-2011)
Old 03-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
David531

Default Shaw Mountain

The Castle is ok, you can see it from the trail, but really the main attraction would be the top of Shaw Mt. Great views, and trails getting there, if i recall, if you keep going, you can get to Ossippee from there.

We're going to be leaving from Gov Is. saturday morning heading to Alton Bay for lunch, then around the north shore and back where we started. If the snow is still a small fraction of what it was last week, it should be fantastic riding. the 10 inches of snow last friday was great.

Cheers, David
David531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
steve-on-mark

Thanks... how long of a ride would it be from Patrick's in Gilford to Mt Shaw... I assume it's a shorter through Meredith than it would be through Alton!
Old 03-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post
Thanks... how long of a ride would it be from Patrick's in Gilford to Mt Shaw... I assume it's a shorter through Meredith than it would be through Alton!
Again it totally depends on your willingness to travel by ice. From Gilford it is a long ride to Moultonboro via trail From lake it can be as short as you want it to be, like 20 minutes give or take, to the base of the Castle Trail.

By land you are looking at around an hour +/- 10 minutes. As was stated in a previous post you MUST travel over an ice surface at least three or four times from Gilford to the Castle trail. Once over Paugus bay, another in Meredith Bay, then on Lake Kanasatka and finally Ambrose Cove.

When on the tracks between Weirs and Meredith you will want to look to your right well before you come into the bay area and there is a steep drop off the tracks on to the lake. Then you access the trail next to Lago. That trail takes you up and over Route 25B and into Center Harbor, eventually on Kanasatka and then down the Moultonboro Neck and over Ambrose Cove.

Have fun. PM me for more info.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
codeman671

Tell Kathy to suck it up and ride on the ice

J
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:22 AM   #9
trfour

Default I Was Lucky Enough To Ride Over Lake Winnipesaukee...

For and Many Many years living here on The Great Lake. We would start out from Paugus Bay and visited Alton Bay, Wolfeboro Bay, Winter Harbor, Meredith, Ambrose Cove and others. When the Great Lake is safe and frozen, the Castle trails are very easy and accessible from anywhere including from Patrick's, out of Gilford Beach. Remember that All snowmobile maps will show you dotted lines of any trails over Lakes and ponds and any bodies of water. Ya, you need by all means to pay close attention to these.

Yes, I'm an old timer, and that is why I can state very clear that most of my enjoyable riding evolved from here.
You can check out an evaluation at any time; http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...=500&ppuser=83

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:37 AM   #10
steve-on-mark

Default ice ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Tell Kathy to suck it up and ride on the ice

J
You can lead a horse to " frozen water"....
Old 03-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
CHSLTD

Thumbs up Great Conditions!

Rode from Gilford to Mt Shaw yesterday and the trails were fantastic... Get out now I think we may be done after the rain and warm temps this week...
CHSLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
CHSLTD

Thumbs up Lake Conditions...

The lake was a bit lumpy in spots but was VERY rideable...
CHSLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #13
jetskier

Default Great Conditions Today.

I rode from Laconia to Mt Shaw this afternoon. I took the trail along rt 25 on the way out and the lake on the way back.

The trail to Mt Shaw is in very good condition...I expected heavy traffic today but it was actually rather light. There is a lot of loose snow in the switchbacks and some snurt in spots. The trail from Ambrose is very washboard and slow.

The lake was great...except for the ridge some idiot plowed to a bob hut...could not see it in the fog (and covered with snow) this morning and took a tumble. Just take care in the area of bob huts as the snow can cover hidden obstacles (as I found out ).

I expect the trail conditions to deteriorate pretty fast if we get warm weather and especially if we get rain. We could use another foot of snow to keep the season going.
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #14
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
The trail from Ambrose is very washboard and slow.
We hope you enjoyed our trails in Moultonboro. Luckily this trail is very short as well. Please consider making a donation for the replacement of the machine we used to groom it with(utilizing 100% volunteer operators) as our previous machine was damaged beyond repair.

Donations can be made here:

Thanks!

Last edited by Irrigation Guy; 03-06-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #15
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor View Post
We hope you enjoyed our trails in Moultonboro. Luckily this trail is very short as well. Please consider making a donation for the replacement of the machine we used to groom it with(utilizing 100% volunteer operators) as our previous machine was damaged beyond repair.

Donations can be made here:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...d2ddf64505aee9

Thanks!

Great Idea with the donation button! I just tried to donate but got an error?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #16
David531

Default lake ice

We had a nice ride from Gov Is. to Alton Bay, a few slush spots, good lunch at Shibleys. then went north to Wolfboro, and then headed west along the north shore, a few more slush spots. We were going to the west end of Bear Is. and then down to Gov. Is. but the fog was so bad at that pooint, navigation was getting difficult. We ran into what apears to be an ice road someone has been plowing from gilford beach to some point on north shore. We followed that south past welch Is. and got back to gov. is... The low cieling and fog came and went and then the sun came out with blue sky for a while, really crazy weather. So we took a short ride to center harbor to see the mt washington surrounded by circulators. The lake riding was awsome, still very cushy from last weeks snowfall. those slushy areas give me the heebee geebees.
David531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #17
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Great Idea with the donation button! I just tried to donate but got an error?
Try it now or here:

Old 03-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #18
hazelnut

Quote:
Try it now or here:

Just donated! Thanks for a great season LR.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #19
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Just donated! Thanks for a great season LR.
Thanks! We only have a few very dedicated volunteers who make it all happen and without the snowfall we have had it still wouldn't be possible.

We will shortly be undergoing a larger than normal turnover on our board of directors(several have continued on longer than they would have liked) and with the loss of one groomer we need all the help we can get.

We are just starting to work on funding the new grooming equipment needed but have announced the changes on the board of directors here:

http://www.moultonborosmc.org/
Old 03-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #20
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts
Default Fyi...

As of this morning there is no snow left on the lake. Nothing but glare ice and lots of water!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #21
secondcurve

Quote:
Try it now or here:

I just donated. I hope everyone will consider a donation. These folks are great!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #22
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
i just donated. I hope everyone will consider a donation. These folks are great!
Thank you!
Old 03-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #23
jetskier

Post I just donated

It looks like the rain and warm weather are going to end the season locally. When I left at 1:00, it was 50 degrees with steady rain and there was standing water on the lake. The trails looked like they would be showing dirt by the end of the day.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #24
Irrigation Guy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
It looks like the rain and warm weather are going to end the season locally. When I left at 1:00, it was 50 degrees with steady rain and there was standing water on the lake. The trails looked like they would be showing dirt by the end of the day.

Jetskier
Thank you for the donation. We will have some bare spots for sure but are hopeful the season has not ended. Some snow would sure help, but only time will tell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Irrigation Guy For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (03-07-2011)
Old 03-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #25
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post
You can lead a horse to " frozen water"....
How did you make out? Did you swing by the island? I haven't been out at all.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:08 AM   #26
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
How did you make out? Did you swing by the island? I haven't been out at all.
We made out fine... Kathy overcame her fear and followed me out on the ice. I don't think she was happy doing it, but she followed... and survived!
We didn't swing by the island..... baby steps!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #27
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Again it totally depends on your willingness to travel by ice. From Gilford it is a long ride to Moultonboro via trail From lake it can be as short as you want it to be, like 20 minutes give or take, to the base of the Castle Trail.

By land you are looking at around an hour +/- 10 minutes. As was stated in a previous post you MUST travel over an ice surface at least three or four times from Gilford to the Castle trail. Once over Paugus bay, another in Meredith Bay, then on Lake Kanasatka and finally Ambrose Cove.

When on the tracks between Weirs and Meredith you will want to look to your right well before you come into the bay area and there is a steep drop off the tracks on to the lake. Then you access the trail next to Lago. That trail takes you up and over Route 25B and into Center Harbor, eventually on Kanasatka and then down the Moultonboro Neck and over Ambrose Cove.

Have fun. PM me for more info.
Because the weather was overcast on Saturday we decided that making it to Mt. Shaw wasn't a priority. We had a wonderful ride , stopped at Mugs in Winter Harbor, and had an ice cold beer and the best cheeseburger I've had in ages!!!