Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-03-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
searay220

Smile Snowmobiling conditions ?

Can anyone tell me of the how the conditions are for snowmobiling around the lake? My sleds are in Alton not far from rt22 snowmobile trail. I don't mind trailering them if the conditions are better on the north side of the lake.Thanks
searay220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
Lakegeezer

Default Lake is fine

Snowmobiling in the north-eastern part of the lake is fine. Lots of other people's tracks, and it all seems solid as a rock. A few of the narrow passageways have open-water (like always), and unfortunately they also have skimmer tracks. There is also a small slushy area around Loon Island, near a long crack in the ice. Trails leading from the lake are in pretty good shape, but cover is still a bit thin.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
jetskier

Default Trails Open?

Are the trails open?

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
searay220

Red face Got pics

I would love to see some pictures of people snowmobiling on and around the lake. It's a tease I know but can't wait to get up there for Feb vacation week. Please post I need a new screen saver. Thanks
Old 02-04-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I'll get some posted next weekend. I did ride this weekend and forgot my camera. To bad, I could have had some awesome pictures. Headed up for the fishing derby and will have camera in hand.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
searay220

Default Where to snowmobile?

I am interested in where there is some good snowmobiling conditions. Are any of the trails in good condition or is the lake the best place to do some riding? And is the lake snow covered or just shear ice. I more interested in knowing this information for the Alton Bay area. Any feedback would be helpful because I would like to take a ride up this weekend. Thank You
Old 02-06-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
Woodsy

The only decent riding is on the lake... there is a thin cover of snow and its pretty smooth...

The trails pretty much stink... not very much snow cover in the woods, very thin on the exposed trails.

IMHO - Stick to the lake.... you'll have a blast!

Woodsy
Old 02-09-2007, 12:50 PM   #8
Alsobig

So your saying stick to the lake for some good riding... I will be heading up tomorrow to wait for my trap to "Tip Up" but until they do I will be cruising around on my sled taking in the sorta warm weather... 29 for a high tomorrow... NICE!
Alsobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #9
jetskier

Thumbs up Snowmobiling Today

Hi all,

We went out on the lake snowmobiling today and I thought that I would give you the low down before you ride this weekend. We rode from Meredith out past Welch island and back.

Most of the ride was thin packed snow with areas of glaze ice. It was quite cold with the unabated wind. Dress Warm!

There are some nice areas of snow on the leeward side of the islands.

The riding is generally quite good and the lake is reasonably smooth. We crossed about 5 ice rifts during the ride; none of them were particularly large.

On areas of glaze ice, it is very difficult to change direction and studs are highly recommended for safe stopping.

The ice fishing derby is in the final preparation and there are a number of bob huts on the lake. Predictably, there are a ton of them in in Meredith.

Happy riding!

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:42 PM   #10
searay220

Smile Let it snow

I can't understand it my right thumb is twitching??
Old 02-14-2007, 05:21 PM   #11
Paugus Bay Resident

Groomer was out in Gilford for most of the day.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:24 PM   #12
secondcurve

Any updates on trail conditions? I'm looking forward to cruising the Ossipee Mountains this weekend.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:24 AM   #13
Skip

Smile Castle Trail should be open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve
Any updates on trail conditions? I'm looking forward to cruising the Ossipee Mountains this weekend.
The State & the Ossipee Valley Snowmobile Club have groomed the open trails in the Castle area from the Ossipee side as of yesterday, so I know that is one trip I'll be making this weekend!

If you cross over the Ossipees in to the Route 16 area you will find the OVSC trails off of the Corridor 19 trail bed to be packed & groomed and excellent south to Ossipee Lake and north and west through White Lake State Park, out to Wonalancet and Chocorua and over the hump to Sandwich Notch.

You should also be able to head further east on to the Scrub Oak Scrambler trails towards Maine, although I have no first hand reports yet as to their grooming status.

Anyway, in celebration of the storm I have taken the next week off and will be sledding out of camp on Ossipee Lake....I'll keep an eye out for you on the trails. I'll be on a red & black 06 Fusion 900 most likely with a couple of black with green 98 Cat ZLs in tow (a ZL 500 & 600).

I'll be sleddin' by day and most likely in the OVSC groomer (Tucker Sno-Cat) many of the nights I'm up there, going to try and cram a whole season in to one week!

Maybe we'll ctoss trails somewhere up there!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:09 AM   #14
secondcurve

Skip:

Thanks for the information. It sounds like you are a serious sledder! I'll be on one of a couple of green, Artic Cat two up Panther 570s. Not the power that you'll be cruising on (at least during the day) but they will get me out to see all the sites. Have fun and be safe.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:05 PM   #15
RGA645

Skip - don't you ever work, you must have one of those cushy government jobs a friend of mine from Dover always used to complain about.
RGA645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:39 PM   #16
Skip

Default Endless vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGA645
Skip - don't you ever work, you must have one of those cushy government jobs a friend of mine from Dover always used to complain about.
Work? Not sure....I'll have to check my job description when I get back, as soon as the snow melts!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:21 PM   #17
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Moultonbor Trail Conditions

Moultonboro Snowmobile Club Trails Report

The following update will be posted to our website.

2-19-07

The trails saw heavy traffic over the weekend. The groomers where out,but with the dry powder snow conditions deteriorated rapidly. We will be out grooming all week day and night so be aware. Best riding can be found on red hill. See you on the trails.

Brian Hall
Trail Administrator
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote