Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2016, 03:28 PM   #1
BoulderBronco

Default Winni to Burlington Vt

Anyone ever done that journey? Looking at the maps it looks possible. It looks like a good junction to get to the VT trails is going North via trail 5 to Wells River. However I can't find any junction between the NH trails and Vt trails. I would assume they exist. But would hate to get halfway there and not be able to continue.
I'm assuming lodging, gas, food, VT registration etc. will be relatively easy when going through towns.
So really just wondering if anyone is familiar with a trip like this that could shed any light on trails that may connect but may not actually be mapped out? Any other advise or suggestions would certainly be welcome also.
Thanks
BoulderBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:47 PM   #2
ultrarider

Yea you can do it. You have to cross the river at McIndoe Falls (west of Monroe) If you look at this map find Littleton NH. take trail 10 west to Monroe, then cross the river at McIndoe Falls. That would be an awesome trip.
If you get a map for you GPS from Backwoods GPS Trails, It would show all the fuel, hotels, restaurant, etc. accessible from the trail. You could plan it out good with it.

http://backwoodsgpstrails.com/SledMap/SledMap_J_E.html
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:18 PM   #3
SAB1

Just an FYI in you don't have, VT requires insurance in order to ride.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:41 PM   #4
ultrarider

Default Winni to Burlington Vt

Insurance required in VT. That's good to know, but I don't why anyone would choose not to have insurance on these machines?
Old 12-28-2016, 05:06 PM   #5
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Get a trail map from VAST, I have one and they are great... but I will say even with a map the numbering system in VT is confusing in places. Last time I rode there I got all mixed up.

It'd be a pretty ride - no doubt a full day, maybe more to get there.

Yes VT does require insurance so have proof of it with you and there is a state wide speed limit just as there is in NH.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2016, 06:29 PM   #6
BoulderBronco

Thanks for the info everyone. Our sleds are not even worth insuring so not sure I would go through with it. They are in excellent shape, but 20 years old. I was also estimating ROUGHLY 6 hours each way. But if the speed limit is limiting and we can only do 20-30 the whole way, that would really increase the travel time. I'm also not sure what to expect for trails. Nice wide, flat groomed trails would be great, but I would expect a lot of narrow washboard trails. Maybe 50/50?
The Following User Says Thank You to BoulderBronco For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (12-29-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 09:22 PM   #7
SAB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarider View Post
Insurance required in VT. That's good to know, but I don't why anyone would choose not to have insurance on these machines?
You would very surprised......
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:33 PM   #8
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderBronco View Post
Thanks for the info everyone. Our sleds are not even worth insuring so not sure I would go through with it. They are in excellent shape, but 20 years old. I was also estimating ROUGHLY 6 hours each way. But if the speed limit is limiting and we can only do 20-30 the whole way, that would really increase the travel time. I'm also not sure what to expect for trails. Nice wide, flat groomed trails would be great, but I would expect a lot of narrow washboard trails. Maybe 50/50?
It's not so much a matter of insuring your sled as it is about carrying liability insurance in VT.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
BB. Just like auto insurance: states could care less whether you have insurance coverage for damage to your sled, or theft. What they do want is proof of liability insurance that covers you for bodily injury to others and property damage to others. For what is probably less than a couple of hundred dollars a year, it is not worth putting all your assets, current and perhaps future, in jeopardy.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 12-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #10
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
You would very surprised......
I think your right and would bet that 25% + - of snowmobiler's do not carry liability coverage. Huge risk takers!

Dan
Old 12-29-2016, 10:35 AM   #11
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarider View Post
His answer sums up the attitude towards insurance. They only think it covers their machines when they should be more concerned about taking somebody out going around a corner.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:23 PM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default VT sticker

Several years ago, out of state sleds are required to purchase an environmental sticker. No longer a requirement?
Old 12-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #13
BoulderBronco

I understand the liability argument. But our family has been riding sleds on Winni for 30+ years and we typically stay on the lake or on our property. So honestly, insurance was never even on our minds. But it is now. Thanks.
I would strongly argue the "huge risk" theory however. For something to be a huge risk, the odds of a bad situation have to be pretty high. Even doing a lot of trail riding the odds of an accident are quite slim. That's certainly no excuse and I would agree that insurance is a good idea. Let's just put it in the correct context.
Now that we are getting more into riding on trails in potentially more dangerous situations with other riders, we will certainly look into the insurance thing, especially with a trip like this.

Back on the topic at hand; I looked at the map ultrarider posted (Thanks Ultra). The problem seems to be getting to the VT trails in an efficient manner. Going all the way North to Littleton/Monroe seems a long way to go in a less than desirable direction. Is there any other way to cross over to VT farther south to make the trip as direct as possible?
Old 12-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #14
DickR

Quote:
Back on the topic at hand;.... The problem seems to be getting to the VT trails in an efficient manner. Going all the way North to Littleton/Monroe seems a long way to go in a less than desirable direction. Is there any other way to cross over to VT farther south to make the trip as direct as possible?
I'm just curious (I'm not a snowmobile rider), but I wonder if any enterprising folks near such borders, where major rivers and developed downtown areas physically separate trail systems, operate snowmobile "ferry" services. I can imagine coming to a trailhead, driving the snowmobile onto a 4-6 machine trailer, and being hauled a few miles or more by truck/passenger van to the next system. Reservations and cell phone contact when near would be part of it.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:32 PM   #15
ultrarider

The only other place I see to cross the river into VT is near Walpole which is west of Concord
Old 01-04-2017, 08:31 AM   #16
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Get a trail map from VAST, I have one and they are great... but I will say even with a map the numbering system in VT is confusing in places. Last time I rode there I got all mixed up.
For the most part, VT trail numbers coincide with the route numbers they follow. For example if you are on corridor 100 you are traveling in a similar direction as US Route 100, if you are on corridor 15 you are traveling a similar route as VT Route 15. Of course this is not very helpful if you are not familiar with the roads up there.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:56 AM   #17
rsmlp

Default 6 hours?

Quote:
Wow, that's impressive, it takes an hour to get from LI to the summit of Mt Roberts?
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote