Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
baygo

Default Complimentary Sled Recovery

iif you have a breakdown or mishap on the Prison Loop come by and get me at Tavern 27. I have an UTV with tracks that can tow your sled back to my place. Then you can contact your mechanic to make arrangements.

This is a complimentary service.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
BaileyBecca (01-04-2014), BroadHopper (01-07-2014), FLAG! (01-16-2014), HellRaZoR004 (01-04-2014), Lakemamma (01-06-2014), Longtimelurker (01-04-2014), Major problem (01-05-2014), Old Hubbard Rd (01-04-2014), trfour (01-04-2014), Webbsatwinni (01-06-2014), WINNOCTURN (01-05-2014)
Old 01-05-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
Lakesregionanonymous

Default Fyi

Last I checked, UTV's do not meet the same standards as snowmobiles. Regardless if they have tracks or not. Snowmobiles are the only machine legal on our snowmobile trails. Please don't destroy our trails.
Lakesregionanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Exclamation Under Specific Regulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesregionanonymous View Post
Last I checked, UTV's do not meet the same standards as snowmobiles. Regardless if they have tracks or not. Snowmobiles are the only machine legal on our snowmobile trails. Please don't destroy our trails.
Tracked OHRV Registration Requirements

As of July 1, 2012, in order to operate on state-approved snowmobile trails, an OHRV (wheeled vehicle) that has had the wheels or tires removed and replaced with tracks, cleats or skis, MUST be properly registered in New Hampshire as a snowmobile.

The tracked OHRV must meet the definition of a snowmobile as defined by law.
The OHRV, with the tracks on, cannot exceed 54 inches in width and 1,200 pounds.

If operating as a wheeled vehicle, a New Hampshire OHRV registration is required.

Machines operated as a tracked OHRV on snowmobile trails in the winter, and as a wheeled OHRV, must be dually registered in New Hampshire; both an OHRV and snowmobile registration are required. Both sets of decal stickers must be displayed on the machine.

Even though they are allowed under these provisions it does not mean they are welcomed on Snowmobile Trails and to some LAND OWNERS an ATV is an ATV no matter how you dress it up.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
wifi

I'll take notes on not publicly offering to help someone out....
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post

The tracked OHRV must meet the definition of a snowmobile as defined by law.
The OHRV, with the tracks on, cannot exceed 54 inches in width and 1,200 pounds.

Just measured the Kabota and learned it is 67" wide. I will unfortunately have t rescind my offer. i wish those people who cheerfully took my money for club membership and registration were aware of this.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #6
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Types of UTVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
Just measured the Kabota and learned it is 67" wide. I will unfortunately have t rescind my offer. i wish those people who cheerfully took my money for club membership and registration were aware of this.
Baygo,

There are 2 Classes of UTVs, the 54'" and the wider class, which the designation escapes my memory. There was discussion of this at the Fish & Game meeting held at the SHALAMAR early last Fall. There were no definite guidelines presented as to how the Larger "UTVs" would be handled.

I would say there may be some confusion as to how each is classified? If it were used as a Trial Work piece of equipment it may qualify? But then there could be all sorts of complications, insurance and liability to mention a few.

You would think those doing the Registrations would know the distinction between the two. I would not go as far as to blame the Club for this mistake, unless there were more of an involvement in this situation.

AS they say, No Good Deed goes unpunished.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
jtb9212

Default Fyi

Baygo:

OHRV laws are enforced by NH Fish and Game. We as a club are not an enforcement organization by any means. We are responsible for maintaining trails, grooming trails, signing them, and obtaining landowner permission for their use. I am the one personally responsible for obtaining these permissions.

To be honest I am not exactly familiar on whether tracked UTV's are permissible or not. If they are not and you happen to run across Fish and Game while out with your UTV they will fine you and more than likely direct you off the trail system. You should call them and find out.

I am not sure what you are trying to say or imply by "I wish those who cheerfully took my money for club membership and registration where aware" means.

You offering to rescue sleds or anything else for that matter has nothing to with the Belknap Snowmobilers. However, if we have a landowner that makes any complaint about a snowmobiler, ATV, of UTV I would address it with the Bureau of Trails or Fish and Game as we are a guest on the landowners property and must do everything in our power to appease them so we do not loose portions of our trail system.

Jon T. Bossey, President and Trail Administrator
Belknap Snowmobilers Inc.
jtb9212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default From Fish and Game

Jon,

What I posted earlier was off the Fish&Game website.

Registering your OHRV in NH

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/OHRV...istration.html

Sounds like there may have been little notice of this change?

WINNOCTURN

PS: Glade to see you (your Club) posting club news here.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #9
Major problem

If you were dragging a trail grooming mat/blade and were working with the blessing of the local club then I don't think anyone would have a problem.

You'd have to know what you're doing, dragging a dis-abled sled on a trail is irresponsible and ruins the trail for others. Maybe use a drag-mat to put the broken sled on?

I'm an ATV 'er and happy to see some leeway on winter use of other off-highway vehicles. I understand the idea of protecting the snow base for quality trails but tracked OHVs seem to have less of an impact on the trails than sleds because they're less likely to be roosting or rocketing from the start. They're not digging holes. The biggest objection is having slow moving obstacles blocking trails. (tracked ATV/UTV s are a lot slower than sleds.)

Maybe a large UTV with a flashing yellow strobe light and operated for volunteer, trail safety/maintenance purposes should be welcomed and applauded. Its not the same thing as opening the gates to the barbarian ATV hordes.

Work it out with the club responsible for those trails.
Major problem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #10
Webbsatwinni

No good deed ( or offer ) goes unpunished. I've never been to your tavern, but I will now! Thanks for the offer to help if we have issues. Is the tavern trail access sable? If so, can you post where? Is this the tavern near lakeport?
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Webbsatwinni For This Useful Post:
Lakemamma (01-06-2014)
Old 01-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #11
HellRaZoR004

Thumbs up

I'm with the last post. I appreciate the good gesture and will make sure to stop by and check your place out.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (01-13-2014), Lakemamma (01-06-2014), Old Hubbard Rd (01-05-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #12
HomeWood

Would it not be safer to just get the broken sled off the trail, so it is no longer a hazard? I would be more worried about an abandonded sled around that blind corner or on that steep hill than a tracked UTV on the trail for 20 minutes making a recovery. The OP did not mention one thing about joy riding on the trail, it was simply a generous offer to help out fellow sledders in a jam. Again, no good deed goes unpunished.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeWood For This Useful Post:
baygo (01-10-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 05:38 AM   #13
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Wow

I am with Webbsatwinni, no good deed does go unpunished. A local restaurant owners who has a place just off the trail system is offering free help to those in distress and he is being slaughtered. Baygo I applaude you for your effort and as someone who has a place in South Down and has not been to your establishment I will make sure we stop by the next time we are up.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
baygo (01-10-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #14
Happy Gourmand

Baygo, What a great and generous offer. I'm not a snowmobiler so I won't be able to take you up on it. I've not been to Tavern 27 either. I can tell you that I won't be jumping on a snowmobile any time soon, but I will tell you that Tavern 27 will be an item on my bucket list that I will be able to check off when the winter season makes way for warmer weather,
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
baygo (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #15
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni View Post
No good deed ( or offer ) goes unpunished. I've never been to your tavern, but I will now! Thanks for the offer to help if we have issues. Is the tavern trail access sable? If so, can you post where? Is this the tavern near lakeport?
Webbsatinni; thank you and all others for your support. Yes we are trail access able. Tavern 27 is located in Laconia on Parade Rd (Rte 106) just North of South Down Shores, and across the road from the trail. Find the prison loop and you'll find us in either direction. I look forward to serving you.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #16
Lakepilot

We aren't snowmobilers, so will probably never have to be rescued, but we have been to Tavern 27 and it's great.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:10 PM   #17
Lakemamma

Baygo, we just bought some sleds and would love to come there by sled. Do we park our trailer off Parade rd to get on those trails? We have been to your restaurant several times by car and everything is fantastic......
Lakemamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #18
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesregionanonymous View Post
Looks like someone is a coward who went out of their way to create an anonymous handle simply to post their opinion. I'm an avid snowmobiler, and I do not condone the use of ATVs on snowmobile trails. However, I fully support helping out an individual in need on the trails in any way possible. Thank you for you $.02 of immaturity. I hope it's you who is broken down needing help sir. Karma.