Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
Rattler

Default Why I Dislike Snowmobilers

I purchased property on the broads side of Rattlesnake two years ago. We love our summer home and have spent the past two years working very hard and making many improvements. This last summer we literally spent tens of thousands of dollars on landscaping in order to make a dramatic improvement to the looks and accessibility of the cottage. This involved terracing, many stone walls, and three sets of landscape timber stairways -- well over 40 stairs in all. We spent last summer on the island in a constant state of construction.

The gentlemen who did the great landscaping work for us went out last weekend to check on our place. He just called to inform me that snowmobilers are driving through our property on their way to and from the lake and, in their disregard for other people's hard work, property and effort, have dislodged stones in our stone walls and chewed up our landscape timber stairs. The fact that snowmobilers would drive all over private property, run their machines up and down landscaping stairs, and knock over terraced stone walls shows an incredible disregard for their sport.

I hate to paint all snowmobilers with such a broad brush, but, unfortunately, people like me who aren't snowmobilers tend to encounter those that are in unfortunate situations like this.

Sorry if this seems like venting. I don't expect anyone to offer up a solution. However, the idea that I would take my car and drive over a snowmobiler's property, knocking down bushes, destroying walkways, messing up their lawns, etc. doesn't even enter my mind. The fact that it does enter the minds of some people out on snowmobiles is mind boggling and sad...
Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:08 PM   #2
Lakegeezer

Default Try a sign

You shouldn't have to do this, but next year, try a sign. Most (there are still some bad apples) sledders will honor the standard "no snowmobiling" sign. In contrast, many snowmobilers will go where there are already trails. So, if a dozen or more sleds have been through your property, and there is no signs saying "please don't", then its likely others will follow. Snowmobilers are having the same problem as those that want to raft on the lake. Too much growth, and too many restrictions coming with the growth. Snowmobiling is all but dead once you get off the lake, but it will take another 10 years for the sledders (and their business to the area) go away for good.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:27 PM   #3
Rattler

Default Thanks for the Suggestion

LG, thanks. At a minimum, I will look into posting signs next season -- although it's a little like closing the barn door after the horse has turned up missing. The damage is done, and I'm on the hook (not the fun-loving snowmobilers) to pay to get it repaired.

What's key in your reply is that I "shouldn't have to." In the same way that I don't currently have a sign here at my permanent residence saying "No driving cars or bicycles on the lawn or up my front steps", I really shouldn't have to have one at Rattlesnake. If snowmobilers showed the kind of common sense and courtesy that they would expect others to show around their property and possessions, we'd be OK. I might have once considered finding a way to allow snowmobile access from my property to the lake that steered sledders away from the finished landscaping, but not now. Now I'm thinking signs, chains, fences, barriers, Web cameras, etc. -- whatever it takes to keep them out or catch them if they continue to trespass and break the law.

One more point: I'm having a hard time justifying your argument about there being a "trail" there that somehow makes it OK for subsequent sledders. Sort of like if someone breaks the law before me, it's OK for me to break it, too. If snowmobilers are using that logic to define where they can and cannot travel around the lake, things will never get better.

Last edited by Rattler; 03-07-2005 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Add title
Old 03-07-2005, 05:47 PM   #4
KonaChick

Lakegeezer there are many great trails off the lake that many snowmobilers enjoy..granted w/out the proper amount of snow they aren't fun but with the inches we've had this year I can tell you from first hand experience my family and I have enjoyed many hours riding them! We also love the openeness of the lake too..what do you mean in ten years the snowmobilers will be all but gone off the trails? Is this in reference to global warming? and btw..one needs a good base of snow on the lake to enjoy lake riding as well. Sorry to hear about your experience with snowmobilers rattler..there is nothing to say that will ease your frustration. Is there anyway you can get out there to see the damage yourself? Hopefully it's not as bad as your contractor said and can be easily fixed..hopefully, will cross my fingers for you!
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:39 PM   #5
ITD

Rattler, I don't blame you. I own a snowmobile and would never dream of riding up someone's stairs. Or in their yard for that matter. All the trails I've been on that are near houses are clearly marked. I suspect that the culprits are either local or snowmobile regularly in the same locale and know exactly what they are doing. I would put the signs up immediately to help prevent further damage or better yet if possible spend some time watching because I'm willing to bet they'll be back and you can catch them in the act. It's amazing the aggravation and expense a couple of pea brains can cause.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2005, 07:57 PM   #6
Zee

Angry Disgusting behavior

Rattler I am sorry for the damage to your property. As stated by others, there are always a few bad apples that spoil the sport for the rest of us. Some very generous people who have allowed snowmobiles on their property have declined in subsequent years because some won't follow the rules and stay on the trails and keep speed and noise reasonable. I have often heard from veteran sledders, that the culprits should be caught and turned over to those of us who follow the rules. Broken rules and jerks ruin the sport and its reputation. Remember 99.9% of us would never knowing damage private property. I sincerely hope the damage is not excessive.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:59 PM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Angry Another unfortunate example

It is indeed unfortunate that in the space of a few short days, we get to read of some really bonehead decisions by snowmobilers. Sorry Rattler, and I know it is of little comfort to know you are not alone. There is another thread with similar type stories: http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1613

Back when my Dad had snowmobiles, back in the 1980's, on more than one occasion we would have someone come right up the trail to our house, and turn around on our front lawn. Dad used to say it was a good thing the garage door was closed...

Sorry for your damage, and I suggest contacting the Mt. Major Snowmobile Club
http://www.mountmajorsnowmobileclub.com/ and let them know what has happened and ask if it is possible for you to get "no snowmobile" signs for your property. I certainly would understand posting your property, and hopefully can be done at no cost to you.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:24 AM   #8
chipj29

Default Not all are bad!

Rattler, I am sorry that your property was damaged by what would appear to be reckless snowmobilers. I agree with the others that say a few bad apples spoil the bunch. A vast majority of us are very courteous and would never even consider intentionally damaging someones property. I also know that it is possible that after the first couple of sleds passed through your property, others not so familiar with the trails may have followed them accidentally. In the case that upthesaukee mentioned, the same thing happens to me. I have a trail right off the main trail that dead ends in my back yard. I have neglected to put up a dead end sign, so occassionally I have stray snowmobiles turning around in my yard. They are simply lost and following my own tracks. If someone had come into my yard and knowingly damamged my property, I would be peeved also. My first recourse would be to put up a sign. I too would be on the hook for the damages, but I would be sure to do what I could to avoid the situation in the future.

Now with that said, there is NO excuse for going through someones property intentionally, and causing damage.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:42 PM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Snowmobiles on private property

My family owns a lot of acres in Gilford. The local snowmobile club have ask us if they can use the property to connect some of their trails. They were a great group of people. The put up signs and place bridges across streams. Most of the snowmobilers are very courteous and pretty much police themselves. We had very little problems. I'm sorry you had problems. Tell the local clubs and they will spread the word.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:03 PM   #10
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Rattler, as a snowmobiler and a person in business who counts on them for a huge chunk of my winter's business,I am also,sorry and angry that a few yahoos would do that.No one I know would dream of driving on private land.Hopefully,with the ground frozen ,the damage will be superficial.
All of the hotels,restaurants and stores rely on them to get through the winter and would find it pretty tough going without them but that certainly doesn't give them the right to trespass.
It's the same with summer boaters.We need them also,being a vacation area ,but a few of them spoil it for others as well.
I don't blame you for being upset and I agree that you should post your property.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:21 PM   #11
trfour

Angry More Brain Power Needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee
It is indeed unfortunate that in the space of a few short days, we get to read of some really bonehead decisions by snowmobilers. Sorry Rattler, and I know it is of little comfort to know you are not alone. There is another thread with similar type stories: http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1613

Back when my Dad had snowmobiles, back in the 1980's, on more than one occasion we would have someone come right up the trail to our house, and turn around on our front lawn. Dad used to say it was a good thing the garage door was closed...

Sorry for your damage, and I suggest contacting the Mt. Major Snowmobile Club
http://www.mountmajorsnowmobileclub.com/ and let them know what has happened and ask if it is possible for you to get "no snowmobile" signs for your property. I certainly would understand posting your property, and hopefully can be done at no cost to you.

You are right, Uppy!

To get into snowmobiling in the first place, people spend lots of money.

Sleds, trailers, outfits, accessorries, "just to mention a few".

Then comes Lodging, fuel and some more.

Then comes... " ( NO SNOW ) !!!"

People do not like to see all of this, "MONEY SPENT" , and not having enough left in there budget, to travel to where the ( SNOW IS ) !
( thus, they tend and will ride, where the SNOW ISN'T! ).... And, If you do not Believe me,........ ( Simply return to this thread )!

Simply put,... there hasn't been enough snow here, to ride on, "UNless, you would like to tare up Peoples stairways, and, or property!

Us snowmobilers, enjoyed a good snowmobile season here in 2002....... " I have not registerd or taken a ride on my snowmobile since then, " due to the lack of "SNOW, and I couldn't afford to load up and travel to where it was!"

My point......... "SNOWMOBILES WERE DESIGNED FOR SNOW."

PS... You may tire of riding on the Great Lake if there is enough snow over the ice to keep your sleds engine cool, but if you find that you would like to enjoy some food,, go to a movie, get gas, or what ever. If your riding a snowmobile and there isn't enough SNOW, PARK IT, and or take the car, and don't even be afraid to Walk!.... ( PLEASE USE BRAIN POWER )

Thank you,
trfour

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 03-08-2005 at 11:25 PM.
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:37 AM   #12
ApS

Question The Solution not asked for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler
"We...have spent the past two years working very hard and making many improvements. This last summer we literally spent tens of thousands of dollars on landscaping...to make a dramatic improvement to the looks and accessibility of the cottage. This involved terracing, many stone walls, and three sets of landscape timber stairways -- well over 40 stairs in all. We spent last summer on the island in a constant state of construction.

"...snowmobilers are driving through our property on their way to and from the lake and...have dislodged stones in our stone walls and chewed up our landscape timber stairs. The fact that snowmobilers would drive all over private property, run their machines up and down landscaping stairs, and knock over terraced stone walls shows an incredible disregard for their sport.

"...Sorry if this seems like venting. I don't expect anyone to offer up a solution."
Boy, I don't like coming to the possible defense of snowmobilers -- or any other motorized boors -- but consider my take on this:

I recall a recent acre-sized lot clearing on "The Broads" side of Rattlesnake Island this past July -- maybe August. I noted that there were no trees left on a very steep lot.

To a newbie snowmobiler -- and with your improvements hidden by our most recent deep snowfalls -- the now-invisible opening might appear as a giant sloped ramp, allowing easy access to the interior of Rattlesnake Island from Winnipesaukee's ice.

When the cottage is built there -- if that is, in fact, your lot -- I'd add a tight row of fast-growing hemlocks, and maybe keep them trimmed to about eight feet to preserve your view, soil, and maybe your landscaping.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:07 AM   #13
Mink Islander

Default My take

I suspect you're right that someone saw this as an easy access point. Considering, however, that all of Rattlesnake is private property, why would anyone think it's ok to ride over someone's property (yard really in this case). They wouldn't go across someone's residential property on the mainland (or perhaps I give too much credit there too) because the owner might well be home and have something to say/do about it. It's simply that it's quiet around the islands in the winter and the less considerate folks out there think it's ok to go anywhere their sled will take them.

My advice would be to put up a snow fence and signs as part of your fall preparations. With luck, that's all the discouragement they'll need.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:08 AM   #14
Rattler

Default Some Additional Details

Acres, the cleared lot your reference is not my lot. Not a tree was touched when we did our landscaping work.

I think you're right, however, in your comment that the terracing and stairs we put in make the property inviting to sledders. The other point is that the property is located approximately at the end of the construction road on Rattlesnake. I think snowmobilers travel that road, entering from the boat access at the northwest point of the island, and then when the road ends just travel down the hill encountering my property as the last obstacle before getting to the lake.

This, of course, begs Mink Islander's point of why they're on private property in the first place -- and why they would consider it OK to sled across what is very apparently somebody's front yard. (My contractor told me there is very little snow in the front yard due to the strong nortwest winds that are common on that side of Rattlesnake. So my assumption is that they knew what they were doing). Interestingly, as snowmobilers travel around the side of the cottage, there is the opportunity to keep going down a reasonably steep slope straight down to the lake -- as opposed to turning and sledding through the stairs and finished landscaping in the front. My take is that it was just too inviting to take the easy way out. I guess I just need to make my property a lot less inviting route to and from the lake next winter. I want to thank all the posters for the suggestions on how to do that.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:10 AM   #15
RLW

Thumbs up I can, but I can't believe people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander
My advice would be to put up a snow fence and signs as part of your fall preparations. With luck, that's all the discouragement they'll need.
I've read all the input to this subject and I know I'll be repeating some, but I just can't see people doing this knowing damn well that the chances of them ruining and/or making it harder for the rest of us is definate possiblilty. I'm starting to think that the ones that do it are only around for a one or two day visit so they do not give a darn.
I don't believe it is the homeowners task to do as the qoute suggests. There is enough work to close a cottage up in the fall without putting up snow fences that the wind will probably blow down during the winter. hopefully signs would do the trick, but with no one around during the winter months also makes it very hard.
Best of luck with the problem and hopefully the ones that started it will be long gone for the rest of this snowmobiling season.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:00 PM   #16
codeman671

Default damage

I am sorry for the damage done as is everyone else who has replied. I am the president of a snowmobile club in the seacoast area and have certainly seen my fair share of what snowmobilers that simply do not care can do to property. In my experience the people that usually do this type of damage do not live anywhere near the place they are riding, most come up from Mass (sorry about the stereotyping) since they have no place to ride there. Other typical offenders are local kids who have not matured enough yet to realize the consequences of their actions.

The state as well as local businesses profit greatly from the industry so it is not necessarily right to call all snowmobilers bad people. There are many charities that receive generous donations yearly from the industry such as Easter Seals. Snowmobilers can do good as well.

From a club standpoint we cannot really police property that is not posted. If we see someone doing a wrongful action we can try to intervene or at least contact authorities who can. We have no legal jurisdiction. My advice would be to post it! You need to protect your hard work and investment. I agree that it sucks to have to post your own property to keep others off but without doing it someone caught in the act of tresspassing could have more of a legal arguement. As funny as it may sound try a battery or solar powered motion activated deer camera, you could possibly snap a picture of the offender and get a registration#. Good luck!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:27 PM   #17
Mink Islander

I think it was a seacoast snowmobile club member -- but I'm just stereotyping -- sorry. You have no idea at all who did this so why guess? In my experience, jerks live in every state (some even on the coast if you can believe that!) and unfortunately there isn't an age limit to join that club either.

I suspect a snow fence and some no snowmobile/no trespassing signs on both ends of the property would be enough of a deterrent to discourage the bad behavior. I have actual experience with snowmobilers following my tracks onto my wife's family property on Bear Island (yes, not Mink) thinking it was an unmarked trailhead only to discover that, no, it only led to a camp. Turned around and left. Sad but true that once one sled makes a path, others are likely to follow. I doubt most sledders are looking to cause intentional damage. If warned off an area, I think they'll abide.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:48 PM   #18
codeman671

Easy Mink Islander...Yes there are jerks everywhere. Do some research on the number of violations each year and where the offenders are from. The people who do the bulk of the wrongdoing in our area are not from our area. Period. We could debate on where these people are from all day long but it wil not solve anything and obviously we all have our own opinions. I have experience as well as both a rider in other areas and a landowner with state approved trails that run through my own property. And this (me) rider from the seacoast was not the jerk in question...I do hope they are caught.

If landowners want to keep people off their property they cannot just hope for the best. They need to take action and make it ABSOLUTELY CLEAR that tresspassers are not wanted. If someone comes on to your property and crashes doing harm to themselves or their machine they could sue you, whether or not they would win remains to be seen but is it worth the headaches/legal fees? Protect yourself. The state offers a blanket insurance policy to clubs and protects registered landowners from legal issues. The state policy does not protect posted property, this is between the landowner and the offender.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:36 AM   #19
Lakegeezer

Default Others dislike snomos too

http://www.theunionleader.com/articl...?article=52011 (registration may be required).
Snowmobilers tell of near-miss
LYNDEBOROUGH — A group of snowmobilers said they narrowly escaped injury Sunday when they came across a length of fishing line stretched across a trail in the woods...... There were fresh tracks in the snow, so Brian and I followed them to a nearby house," Jamie Gauthier said. "A man came out and we asked him if he had a problem with snowmobiles. He said that he did, and after we went back and forth with him, we left and reported it to the police."
Old 03-16-2005, 07:58 AM   #20
chipj29

Default Insane!

That is the most irresponsible thing I have ever seen. I can't even place into words, nicely anyway, what I feel about people who would do such a thing. Had the first snowmobliler not seen the fishing line, he could have been killed, and the 2 following him may have had the same fate. Absolutely unbelievable. The sad thing is that since no one got really hurt, the people who did that will probably get off relatively easy. If you don't like snowmobiles, fine. You don't have to like them. Be constructive about it, don't try to kill someone! Oh boy I could go on and on!! But kudos the the lead rider for riding in control and at a speed where he could see the fishing line across the trail.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:17 AM   #21
Mink Islander

Default So stupid

Hard to imagine what goes on in the mind of anyone who would intentionally try to injure someone this way. Very serious stuff. I'd be surprised if the police don't pursue this actively, but who knows.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:10 PM   #22
Pepper

Default Attempted Homicide!

As far as I'm concerned, the cretin that placed that line across the trail should be charged with attempted homicide! I sincerely hope that they are able to positively identify the subject, and are able to build enough of a case to prosecute!

Just makes me absolutely sick!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2005, 09:27 PM   #23
codeman671

We had a guy in Durham that lived on the Lamprey River who did not like snowmobiles buzzing by his property on the ice (not even close to his house-he had a decent chunk of land) who decided he would take his backhoe and punch holes in the ice in hopes of deterring snowmobiles and helping the ice-out sooner. Needless to say he got stuck and after a call to the PD by a snowmobiler he never did that again. The officer was a snowmobiler which made things even stickier for him...Many people including skaters, ice fisherman, hikers, etc use the river as well. I cannot believe someone could be so reckless...Makes you wonder...
Old 03-17-2005, 11:00 AM   #24
DRH

Default WMUR Info

Here's a link to WMUR's website about this: WMUR
Old 03-18-2005, 01:43 PM   #25
GWC...

Default Why I like vigilante justice of the old wild west…

“Geha said the charge would have been harsher, due to the intent of the crime, but no injuries were incurred.”

“Juvenile faces charges over fishing line on trail”
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 02:12 PM   #26
Ski Man

Obviously, the ice is no man's property, but I don't see how it would be illegal to scatter some logs around your property before the first snowfall to make it impossible to snowmobile there.
Ski Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 07:23 PM   #27
Island Girl

Default Post the property

If the land in question has been used for snowmobile trails for years, it would be prudent to block the way with logs that could be seen in the deepest of snowfalls and well posted so as not to create a hazard and to service notice that the trail is no longer open. This idea came from a friend and I think it is great advice.

IMHO

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:36 PM   #28
trfour

Post And remember,..

If the land in question has been used for access by snowmobilers, for years, please also post a sign giving alternative way, or ways around this obstruction.
A pinch of sugar will help everyone far more than a ton of salt. Could save the landowner some grief or dammage, and could also save a snowmobilers life!

Please think about this.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 03-18-2005, 09:39 PM   #29
secondcurve

Default A barricade?

Island Girl:

I think you have been away from the mainland for too long. You should come ashore and see what has been going on recently. All kidding aside, If a land owner doesn't want snowmobilers on his/her property, then simply notifying the local snowmobile club would result in the trail being closed, diverted, etc. No need to barricade the trail. Simple communication works.

Most snowmobilers are well behaved and thoughtful. Yes, there are some bad apples, but in general snowmobilers and the economic activity they bring to the Lakes Region are beneficial to the masses. By the way, if you do decide to come ashore do so soon as the ice will be getting quite thin in the not so distant future.

Your friend,

Franklin

Last edited by webmaster; 03-19-2005 at 02:22 PM.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 10:35 PM   #30
DRH

Default More to it than that, I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve
Island Girl:

I think you have been away from the mainland for too long. You should come ashore and see what has been going on recently. All kidding aside, If a land owner doesn't want snowmobilers on his/her property, then simply notifying the local snowmobile club would result in the trail being closed, diverted, etc. No need to barricade the trail. Simple communication works.

Most snowmobilers are well behaved and thoughtful. Yes, there are some bad apples, but in general snowmobilers and the economic activity they bring to the Lakes Region are beneficial to the masses. By the way, if you do decide to come ashore do so soon as the ice will be getting quite thin in the not so distant future.

Your friend,

Franklin Fartsnatcher
Secondcurve, I believe the "trail" in question is simply an old work road that goes through the woods on Rattlesnake. To my knowledge, it's not really a "snowmobile trail" at all, but more a path that snowmobilers have found, and it ends at Rattler's property. As far as I know, it's not a "trail" that any snowmobile club maintains, and it is on private property. I think IG's advice, and that of the other posters, is correct ... to post the property and put up a very obvious barricade of some kind to let folks know that's the end of the trail, and that they have to turn around a go back the way they came.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:48 PM   #31
Pepper

Default I beg to differ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve
... All kidding aside, If a land owner doesn't want snowmobilers on his/her property, then simply notifying the local snowmobile club would result in the trail being closed, diverted, etc. No need to barricade the trail. Simple communication works.

Most snowmobilers are well behaved and thoughtful. Yes, there are some bad apples, but in general snowmobilers and the economic activity they bring to the Lakes Region are beneficial to the masses. ...
I certainly don't wish to start a flaming competition, but I must beg to differ with some of what's been said here. Recent events in the region have proven that even if a trail is CLEARLY MARKED OFF LIMITS and thoroughly barricaded - it still will not deter some riders. Full-size jersey barriers bearing the message No Trespassing have been ignored, in favor of flattening saplings on both sides to access a closed area of private property! Clubs can mark the trails all they want, there will still be those who feel the signs mean nothing. This is not to say that all riders are bad, it simply means that every effort needs to be made to ensure that property is not damaged - particularly if it is not frequently occupied. I agree completely with IG and TRFour. Sorry, SecondCurve.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:56 AM   #32
secondcurve

Don:

Maybe the Rattlesnake folks should mark a trail to ensure that the snowmobilers go where the landowners want them to be. I think lots of signs and a clearly marked trail would work. Alternatively, the island folks might want to pay to install machine gun nests at random points along the island, since many of them are away during the long cold winter months.

Your friend,

Franklin

Last edited by webmaster; 03-19-2005 at 02:18 PM.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 07:31 AM   #33
Mink Islander

Default Snow fences

Which is why I suggested snow fences around the landscaped area as a deterrent. You're probably not going to keep all the sleds off Rattlesnake in the winter, even with signs, but chances are you will protect your property this way from the few who would disregard the signs.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:50 AM   #34
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

A sad commentary when we all try to give advise to a landowner on how to prevent hundreds of dollars worth of damage to their property by spending even more money for fences, the chainsaw to cut down logs, etc.

If the access to your property is in two locations, one on and one off, try putting together 3 or 4 saw horses (a few 2x4's and the sawhorse brackets. Place them at the entrances onto your property across the trail with private property signs on them. The ones at the lake end can be at the bottom and top of the stairs with perhaps some string or construction tape blocking off the stairs. Still money spent, but at least the sawhorses can be used in the summer for construction projects, put a sheet of plywood on them for buffet tables, etc, and a lot easier to put out than rolling logs in place or erecting/taking down snow fencing. I would also get some extra private property signs, attach them to small boards with eyelets on the back, and you can use bungee cords or twine/small rope to attach them to trees to mark your property line in winter, and take the unsightly signs down in the summer (hopefully no four wheelers on the island in the summer ).

Hopefully that will work, be relatively short money, be easy to put out in the fall, and easy to take down in the spring. Sorry for your trouble.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:42 PM   #35
bdbd

Default It's about common sense, respect for property

It's a real shame that a property owner has to bear the burden of spending even more money (and probably lots of time when closing up a cottage for the season) to protect his/her investment from damage by a few bad apples. It's my sense that people who use the property of others for other types of recreation -- I'm thinking particularly of hunting -- have a good record of making sure that they are welcome on the property first.

It would be nice if the snowmobilers who assume that it's OK to travel through someone's yard would realize that the burden should be on them to make sure it's OK before they do it. I'm not talking about a burden in a legal sense -- I'm talking about the burden of using common sense and exercising the same courtesy and respect for property that they would undoubtedly expect for their own property.
bdbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:55 AM   #36
Belmont Resident

Default trfour

You are correct about a lot of what you say I see it in Maine also.
But according to the weather stations many of NE including NH and ME are above normal for snowfall this year. The problem was after a storm the groomers wait to long to get out and the trails in this area get trashed before they even have a chance. Not sure about other areas but in Belmont that is what I've observed. Also I've seen trucks driving on the snowmobile trails in Belmont this year.
This is why I'm glad they made everyone register in Maine. I hope it stays that way for good. I've noticed a drop in the yahoo's in the last 2-3 years.
Although as NH gets more and more crowded I suppose Maine will eventually become more and more like NH has become. When that happens I expect to see a speed limit imposed.
Fortunately for us we ride off trail. In Maine there are thousands of miles of roads open to riding. With our long track sleds we can do an easy 200 miles of riding in 4-5 foot snow where no one else has ventured.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:02 PM   #37
trfour

Post Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident
You are correct about a lot of what you say I see it in Maine also.
But according to the weather stations many of NE including NH and ME are above normal for snowfall this year. The problem was after a storm the groomers wait to long to get out and the trails in this area get trashed before they even have a chance. Not sure about other areas but in Belmont that is what I've observed. Also I've seen trucks driving on the snowmobile trails in Belmont this year.
This is why I'm glad they made everyone register in Maine. I hope it stays that way for good. I've noticed a drop in the yahoo's in the last 2-3 years.
Although as NH gets more and more crowded I suppose Maine will eventually become more and more like NH has become. When that happens I expect to see a speed limit imposed.
Fortunately for us we ride off trail. In Maine there are thousands of miles of roads open to riding. With our long track sleds we can do an easy 200 miles of riding in 4-5 foot snow where no one else has ventured.
First of all, thank you, BR.

It takes many snowstorms, ( in succession ) to build up a solid base to groom, in the first place... And also, it was very cold here for most of the early ( spread out storms ). Powdered snow is blown away very quickly by novice riders, thus not leaving much left for grooming.

I must tell you that after totaly rebuilding the first sled that I puchased, ( a 1981 Intruder, for $300.00 ), I was guilty of wanting to do the same thing and went out riding in the first snowstorm of that season with some friends, but did not enjoy seeing the sparks flying off of the skegs of my skis, and the very Ill handling of the sled. I learned that if there is not a good base of snow, if you try to steer around a tree, or any other inmovable object, guess what, You could buy the farm! I was so very fortunate in those early days, having some stock car and drag racing experience, that if it ain't handling, get off the track and give them some room to make it better.
Too many people are killed every year by riding in minimal snow conditions. Check out the trail conditions for the area that you want to ride ahead of time, from the beginning of the season, to end. ( If the trails are open ), they have been groomed.
For New Hampshire, http://www.nhsa.com/ and click on trail conditions.

Air temps are getting warmer, Lake water temps, as well, sorry but it is getting high time to park them snowmobiles, for this year!

I hear you about Maine... Have enjoyed the same there, as well. I have a pin and a gold card.

Last edited by trfour; 03-25-2005 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:01 PM   #38
NonVoting Taxpayer

Default Snow Fence

Put up the orange snow fence. Worked for my neighbor about five years ago and no snowmobiles have used it since. The trail goes right by his house, but some felt the need to go off the trail and use the slope of his yard when the trail turned to ice and dirt. Not sure if this will work at your place since you do not seem to have a trail going up along side. Worth a try.
NonVoting Taxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote