Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2004, 06:51 AM   #1
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Tappan Zee Bridge Webcam

Thought this might be of interest for those who use this bridge on the way to the lake.
Tappan Zee Bridge Camera
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 09:52 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Exclamation Firewall users take note

In order to view this cam, I had to temporarily disable my firewall. May have to do the same thing with Win XP's Service Pac 2's firewall. Dialups can choose a slower refresh rate or manual refresh rate. Great cam RG, just glad I don't have to drive over it.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:13 PM   #3
Pepper

Default Yep!

Yep! That's a great reminder of why I moved up here! Thank heavens I don't have to travel in traffic like that anymore!
Old 10-02-2004, 04:00 PM   #4
ghfromaltonbay

Default Thanks RG

Thanks RG,

I do use the bridge on my 5 hour trip to NH. That spot is about 25 miles from home on my 310 mile trip. Thank goodness this summer has been pretty good and I never hit any traffic on my way. The worst trip as I recall took me 90 minutes to do those first 30 miles.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:21 AM   #5
glennsteely

Default When I was little......

......I loved that bridge on our way to the lake. It meant we were finally out of New Jersey, and on our way to the lake. Mine is an 8 hour trip, being from South Jersey, and for the 19 years I have been driving the trip myself, I cant stand the area, the construction on 87/287 has been going on for years and years and doesnt seem like it is done yet! There are alot of memories from the trip in general, the tap bridge, construction on 84, the rest areas that we would stop for lunch, and of course parking on the NJ parkway on the way home, but the best was, without a doubt, pulling into Meredith and getting that first glimpse of the lake, after 8 hours in the car, and knowing it was going to be a great summer, as they always are......
glennsteely is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2005, 01:47 PM   #6
luna

I have to agree with glennsteely. As a child we spent summers in Maine (we live outside Philly) and the Tappan Zee was always a highlight of our trip, certainly the highlight of the first 200 miles! I still glance over my shoulder(yes, as I'm driving) to try to catch a glimpse of NYC. There always seems to be a lot of traffic but it moves. The rest of 287 is a nightmare. I have serious plans to relocate to the big lake this summer and part of the reason is to never have to make the looooong drive again (I leave at 5am now to get up there and beat the worst of the traffic).
luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 02:32 PM   #7
gtxrider

Default 1/2 hate it!

I don't mind the Tappan Zee bridge on the way up to the lake. I think it is the anticipation of what lies ahead. Conversely the bridge is a nightmare on the return trip. Usually traffic from there to home, Rt 287, GSP, NJ Turnpike and RT 22, and the realization its back to the grind. Perhaps it dates back to being a kid and the knowlegde that school would be starting soon.

Ah, two weeks from today we will be at and perhaps on the lake.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 05:18 PM   #8
ApS

Question Winnipesaukee to Scranton?

Southbound (and off-season), I've been using the full length of the Mass Turnpike (aka I-90) to I-87 South to 84 West (Scranton PA and on to 81, etc.)

How much time am I adding rather than to take the usual I-84 route through Connecticut? It sure seems seamless enough using all the Mass Turnpike, etc.

Should I take to Taconic Parkway (instead of I-87) to I-84 and Scranton?

Bite the bullet and take I-84 through Hartford? I sort of miss the Tappan Zee mile-marker. (A tiny bit).