Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-14-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Moultonboro Snowmobile Club Trails Closed

Moultonboro Snowmobile Club

Trails will remain closed till at least this weekend.

From Paul Driscoll,
With the approach of December 15th we wanted to make an important announcement: The trails are currently closed. We have about 6 inches of snow before it started snowing today. Today it snowed about 3 inches and it's now raining. The club has had a busy Fall doing trail work and will be re-opening the Swallow Point Trail. We are very happy that this trail will once again be open. The ground is still very wet and with the recent cold the ground should start freezing up. With more snow and continued cold weather, will start opening gates and packing the trails.
Important Note: We are in the process of removing the bridge behind the Joal Tree Farm and installing culverts. We hope to have the work completed by January 1. At this time the bridge and trail are impassable, should the trails open please stay away from this area until the work is complete.
Please obey our trail signs and be respectful of the many sensitive areas within our trail system.
Thank you.

From Steve Janaitis,
Trails will remain closed. A few of us tried riding yesterday. Snow cover is thin, but the water & MUD are awful. Also all gates and cables will remain closed to protect the landowners property. The other issue is Joal Tree Farm. The bridge on Roy Putnam's land is still not finished. It is in operation only for his business. Each access has been snow fenced for his current business. On Dec 27th or 28th, Don Lamein will be putting in the culverts.

Other Issues,
Robs/Fullers is no longer open for GAS or FOOD.

There is food and fuel available at Murphy’s Greens Conner (RT 25 and Moultonboro Neck Rd).

Skelley’s has food and fuel on RT109

Townsends Hometown Grocery (old Emporium) food and fuel (RT 25 Moutlonboro Center)

Red Hill Auto (Dave Fullerton) on RT 25 Center Harbor, Fuel only.

Currently there is no trail access off Lake Kanasatka to Corridor 15 heading back to Center Harbor and Meredith at this time. We are presently working on an alternative.

Some Good News!
With eventual better conditions the Swallow Point Trail will be opened this Season. The SPEED through this Trail is set at 10mph as requested the Swallow Point Association. This is a very fragile situation with regards to keeping this trail open for this season and future seasons. If you see any jeopardizing the current and future opening of this trail please let them know how fragile this is. If they do not want to listen and cooperate try to get their registration numbers so that we me be able to take further action.

New Trail Maps
The new Trail Maps are in and those who purchased them through their 2009-2010 Application should be receiving them sometime this week.

Snowmobile Safety Course 12/19/09
If we get a little more snow by Saturday, we will be able to ride the test
course. Tomorrow will be another warm day, but light snow on an off on
Thurs & Friday will help.

Our Tucker 1000 was finally brought back to use last week. It will most likely be going by the end of the week to check trail conditions; you know blow downs, washouts and any other trail problems.

George

Check our website for further updates www.moultonborosmc.org

Last edited by WINNOCTURN; 12-15-2009 at 02:38 PM.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WINNOCTURN For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (12-16-2009), trfour (12-14-2009)
Old 12-14-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
rider

Default Detour

Until the bridge repair is finished. Is there going to be a deture or something or is it planned on being finished before the trails are ride-able? I live right off of Jerry Shaker so this is an important part of the trail for me. BTW, I just joined the club this past week. Is this weekend going to be a work weekend?
rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Lakegeezer

Default questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
will be re-opening the Swallow Point Trail. Other Issues,
Robs/Fullers is no longer open for GAS or FOOD.

Currently there is no trail access off Lake Kanasatka to Corridor 15 heading back to Center Harbor and Meredith at this time. We are presently working on an alternative.
Great news. The season is coming and with the cold forecast, the ground should freeze up nicely. Just a few questions...

Where is Swallow Point?

Is the closed Kanasatka trail the one that goes through Fullers/Robs Gas station - or only the one headed west to Center Harbor?

Will the trail to fuel at the Emporium in Moultonborough be open? They also have some food. I've seen some signs of a trail on the southern side of the street.

What is the status of trails on the Ossipees? Same as last year? Is there any movement towards getting the trails to Bald Peak, Black Snout or Faraway re-opened?
Old 12-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
Great news. The season is coming and with the cold forecast, the ground should freeze up nicely. Just a few questions...

Where is Swallow Point?

Is the closed Kanasatka trail the one that goes through Fullers/Robs Gas station - or only the one headed west to Center Harbor?

Will the trail to fuel at the Emporium in Moultonborough be open? They also have some food. I've seen some signs of a trail on the southern side of the street.

What is the status of trails on the Ossipees? Same as last year? Is there any movement towards getting the trails to Bald Peak, Black Snout or Faraway re-opened?

Where is Swallow Point? It is a section of the KONA trial that runs along the Neck rd., from around the old Veggy shed to Kona Farm Rd. With out this 1/4 mile stretch all of "US" are with out a way to get up and off the Neck by land. We were having to wait till the Lake Froze to get off the Neck.

Kanasatka trail Fullers/Robs to Kanasatka will be open. It is the trail going off Kanasatka to Center Harbor/Meredith Corrider 15 that is a problem.

Emporium in Moultonborough be open? Yes, as you observed it is already marcked. It is now Townsends Hometown Grocery.

trails on the Ossipees? We are limited to one Trail this year. Mount Shaw trail will be open. We had to close off the second trail we had last year.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider View Post
Until the bridge repair is finished. Is there going to be a deture or something or is it planned on being finished before the trails are ride-able? I live right off of Jerry Shaker so this is an important part of the trail for me. BTW, I just joined the club this past week. Is this weekend going to be a work weekend?
Right now there is no way to detour in that area. It may be some time befor the Lake is Safe to ride and the choices of riding on the Neck are limited. If you can get to the Power Line trail you could come all the way up and ride to Robs, then turn back and the the Kona trail, do the "Kona Loop", head down the Far Echo Trail. The you would loop back up to the Power Line Trail and head home to shaker Jerry. All in all you could possibly put 20 miles on your sled.

We need colder temps and more Snow!

Yes there will be trail work Saturday, depending what we find on the trails for blowdowns, water and soforth.

Last edited by WINNOCTURN; 12-15-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
ITD

George,

What happened with the Center Harbor to Kanasatka trail, why did it close?
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:38 AM   #7
HomeWood

How do you get to Murphys aka Greens by sled? I've seen sleds there but could never figure out how they got there. I'll need to go there since Fullers is no longer an option.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #8
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
George,

Also, does this basically cut off 15 north to Moultonborough? The only way I've ever gotten from Meredith to CH to M'boro was using Kanasatka.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
Shreddy

Default Murphy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
How do you get to Murphys aka Greens by sled? I've seen sleds there but could never figure out how they got there. I'll need to go there since Fullers is no longer an option.
Instead of crossing Moultonboro Neck Road when coming from the MSC clubhouse area toward Fullers take a right on the road and ride along the road and follow the trail through the park. After going through the park it brings you out by Subway. Go up through Dasilva Motorsports and cross the road and you should be all set.
Shreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:58 PM   #10
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default 1%ers DID IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
George,

What happened was after that 1% of riders that can not obey the Rules, the Landowner said enough! There were some shrubs that because we did such a good job of marking, fencing and policing became a target for these bast#%#$@s. so now we all suffer.

We are still trying to find a solution. One is dependent on the Lake Freeze soon.

If you see anyone who appears to be jeopardizing the trails try to get a Registration Number off their sled. We do not condone TRAIL RAGE.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #11
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post

What you need to look for is Local Trail 201. We refer to it as the Commerce Trail. Coming off Kanasatka, after you ride Jennifer's Path just as you go back in to the woods there is where 201 turns down to Murphy's. It also comes up through the Play Ground, goes in front of Unique restorations, behind DaSilvas and then across to Murphy's as if you were coming from the VK.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2009, 08:55 AM   #12
ITD

Quote:
What happened was after that 1% of riders that can not obey the Rules, the Landowner said enough! There were some shrubs that because we did such a good job of marking, fencing and policing became a target for these bast#%#$@s. so now we all suffer.

We are still trying to find a solution. One is dependent on the Lake Freeze soon.

If you see anyone who appears to be jeopardizing the trails try to get a Registration Number off their sled. We do not condone TRAIL RAGE.

That's awful George, I'm thinking it's probably just a few yahoos causing most of the problems. The club should take up a collection to buy a few cameras and remote dvrs to set up in the problem areas to see if we can catch a few of these morons. Wouldn't cost that much and might go a long way with land owners who are on the fence. Thanks for your hard work.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #13
hilltopper

Quote:
What you need to look for is Local Trail 201. We refer to it as the Commerce Trail. Coming off Kanasatka, after you ride Jennifer's Path just as you go back in to the woods there is where 201 turns down to Murphy's. It also comes up through the Play Ground, goes in front of Unique restorations, behind DaSilvas and then across to Murphy's as if you were coming from the VK.
Goota ask again... does this basically cut off 15 north to Moultonborough? The only way I've ever gotten from Meredith to CH to M'boro was using Kanasatka.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #14
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
Goota ask again... does this basically cut off 15 north to Moultonborough? The only way I've ever gotten from Meredith to CH to M'boro was using Kanasatka.
Hilltopper,

Right now we are looking at having to possibly use the Lake. You would follow "15" into Center Harbor, turn down the Service road leading out of the Lagoon area. This will bring you out at Red Hill auto and Red Hill Dairy. There is a trail that crosses RT25. It runs between several houses and then gets you on to the Lake. Here it where it gets tricky. You need to get to Salmon Meadow Cove to hook back up with "15". I need to check to see if there is a trail through Crane Wood the could get you to the cove quicker. I will try to get more information on this.

We are still trying to contact several landowners to see if we can reconnect the trail to Kanasatka.
The Following User Says Thank You to WINNOCTURN For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (12-19-2009)
Old 12-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #15
hilltopper

Quote:
Hilltopper,

Right now we are looking at having to possibly use the Lake. You would follow "15" into Center Harbor, turn down the Service road leading out of the Lagoon area. This will bring you out at Red Hill auto and Red Hill Dairy. There is a trail that crosses RT25. It runs between several houses and then gets you on to the Lake. Here it where it gets tricky. You need to get to Salmon Meadow Cove to hook back up with "15". I need to check to see if there is a trail through Crane Wood the could get you to the cove quicker. I will try to get more information on this.

We are still trying to contact several landowners to see if we can reconnect the trail to Kanasatka.
Good luck George, and thanks for the effort! If this area stays closed off, will the Meredith club groom 15 to Center Harbor? If I remember correctly, the M'boro club took over this stretch last year.

15 seems to be a pretty well traveled trail. There's gonna be a lot of confused riders if this stays closed!
Old 12-18-2009, 09:46 PM   #16
trfour

Default For All Of The Snowmobiler's Out There...

Respect the Landowners, keep all of our trails Open! Obey All rules and signage of and on the trails Everywhere!... Stay focused on the Pie In The Sky, and Do not get caught trying to destroy it from the rest of US...
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #17
hazelnut

So I'm guessing George that the waterfront owners on Kanasatka closed the access through their yard? That is really too bad. I can understand the frustration they must feel. Is there any way they would open it back up if there were snow fence installed? Actually do I recall such a fence was there last year? What a bummer. That is a pretty critical access area.

Thank You for all of your hard work.

H-nut
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #18
hazelnut

Posted to clarify the area for others to see.
Attached Images

hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #19
rider

If the trail is closed, how come the new trail maps doesn't say that is? Is the trail planned on re-opening or something
Old 12-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #20
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Open for Suggestions? (that will work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider View Post
If the trail is closed, how come the new trail maps doesn't say that is? Is the trail planned on re-opening or something

We did not get to the printer in time. We may have to plan for the "OR SOMETHING" initially. The trail will be heavily marked from the Lagoon in Center Harbor to Gliden Road.

We will be grooming from Gliden Rd. to Coe Hill Rd, the same as we did last year. It is only from Gliden Rd to the Lake that is closed.

Anyone out there known a land owner on Kanasatka that would be willing to help out?

Agian we are still trying to work this out.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:47 AM   #21
EricP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
So I'm guessing George that the waterfront owners on Kanasatka closed the access through their yard? That is really too bad. I can understand the frustration they must feel. Is there any way they would open it back up if there were snow fence installed? Actually do I recall such a fence was there last year? What a bummer. That is a pretty critical access area.

Thank You for all of your hard work.

H-nut
Yes there was a fence but I am guessing the shrubs in question were up by the road/driveway before reaching the fences. Very unfortunate to say the least.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:07 PM   #22
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Thumbs up Bridge gone, culverts installed, gates open

Copied From LocalRealitor

Bridge gone, culverts installed, gates open, early season riding with water bars and unseen hazards. Please ride with caution.

Still no luck with Corr. 15 off Kanasatka. Anyone have any pull on the western shore?
The Following User Says Thank You to WINNOCTURN For This Useful Post:
rider (01-05-2010)
Old 01-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #23
rider

Default Trail Conditions

Rt. 15 from where it crosses Lake Winnipesaukee to junction 18 was in poor condition with minimal snow coverage. It was ridable but water bars and mud holes along the power lines and bare spots in the trees made is a little tough. Rt. 201 up to Red Hill and around it was in fair condition with the better of the riding on the north side. Hopefully with a little more snow and a little more cold temps. Rt. 15 across the lake and up to Castle in the Clouds will be ridable.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #24
HomeWood

I'm guessing that you are able to ride that area of the lake now. ??
Old 01-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #25
rider

Default Didn't go on the lake

I didn't go on the lake yet, still don't trust the ice yet. I have a house down on the lake and rode from there to red hill.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #26
HomeWood

Oh, gotcha. I was thinking it might be a little early.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #27
Capt Bart

Ambrose cove crossing has 10"
Capt Bart is offline   Reply With Quote