Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-29-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
loony

Question Proposed Meredith Roundabouts

below is the latest proposal for the roundabouts.

Here's the link to the complete document:
http://www.meredith3-25.com/PDF%20Do...esentation.PDF

DIZZYING!!!
Attached Images

loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
Gatto Nero

That's interesting stuff. Where are they going to get the money? A pedestrian underpass? Yikes!
Old 03-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
jrc

Won't a pedestrian underpass next to lake flood with lake water?

Is there no problem a roundabout won't solve?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
66WINN

Default Route 3

Fascinating. But no boat launch? Hope this doesn't change the character of the area. It is so quaint now. I would hate to see it turn into a highspeed traffic zone. I don't really mind the delays for a few days when the other days are deserted.
66WINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
wildwoodfam

Default Fabulous - progress comes to the lake!

Will be nice to keep things moving along and through Meredith on Saturdays for sure! The entry's to Leavitt Park and Patrician Shores will make turning in and exiting these areas less of a theme park ride and more normal, I fear for my elderly parents whenever they say they are going to visit Patrician Shores. The thgouht of them getting slammed from behind or having to zip out onto 25 is frightening with those blind curves!!

Will this ever happen???? Who knows! Seems to me to be a pretty expensive and pretty LONG TERM project.
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2008, 08:15 PM   #6
froggy

One page says May 2005 study. Pretty grand idea!
Almost THREE years! Have we seen anything more recent?
I don't think so.

There will be such an uproar with the taking of Hesky Park, which has deed restrictions!

Let us all conclude that nothing is in the near future; otherwise it'd be all over the newspapers local & state, and other media.

It's NOT a done deal!

Last edited by froggy; 03-29-2008 at 08:49 PM.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:36 AM   #7
fatlazyless

If all three new roundabouts get built, that will make for four roundabouts within about a one mile stretch of Rt 3-25. The new existing roundabout at the top of Ladd Hill on Rt 3. The proposed roundabout at the intersection of Rt 3 & Rt 104. The proposed roundabout at the big intersection of Rt 3 & Rt 25. The proposed roundabout at the intersection of Rt 25 & Pleasant St.

1,2,3,4.....that's four roundabouts....count em!
Old 03-30-2008, 08:18 PM   #8
froggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
If all three new roundabouts get built, that will make for four roundabouts within about a one mile stretch of Rt 3-25. The new existing roundabout at the top of Ladd Hill on Rt 3. The proposed roundabout at the intersection of Rt 3 & Rt 104. The proposed roundabout at the big intersection of Rt 3 & Rt 25. The proposed roundabout at the intersection of Rt 25 & Pleasant St.

1,2,3,4.....that's four roundabouts....count em!
Removing launching ramp and Hesky Park just will not happen.

Disclaimer: I have no vested interest!

I recall the big discussions when Meredith Rotary invested so much in Park improvements, after researching all the deed restrictions; many will not allow that to happen. Mark my words - for the next half century or more.

Yes, but the "plan" was made three years ago, with no actions since - no hearings or design work.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
donnamatrix

Default Roundabouts in Meredith

There is a committee comprised of various Meredith people (business owners, residents, town officials, etc) that is and has been looking at possibilities of putting in roundabouts at intersection of Route 25/Route 3, on Route 25 where the Hannaford's store is now being built, and also replacing the lights that now exist at intersection of Route 104/Route 3.

MVSB owns all the land from corner of Route 25/Route 3 up Route 25 to where end of shopping center is located.

Clearly, if they build a roundabout at Route3/Route 25, space will need to come from somewhere... and the logical places to go would be Aubucon/Zackey's Pizza on one side, and Bootlegger's on the other. They probably will get resistance from carving space away from the Inn at Bay point parking lot and the Mill Falls Parking lot. However, if the state wants to, I assume they can take what they want thru eminent domain laws.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #10
ITD

I think a pedestrian underpass and barriers to prevent jaywalkers would solve 90 percent of the traffic issues in Meredith. I just don't see a roundabout working well with the heavy traffic the area sees on peak times, especially Sunday afternoons. The lights seem to work well, the back ups occur with people pushing the cross buttons stopping traffic in all four directions constantly. Then traffic has to stop for people crossing at the boat ramp. Routing these people under the road would free everything up in my opinion.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:28 PM   #11
lake4life

I hope they hire a different engineering firm than that wreck-waiting-to-happen at the top of the hill. Ever see a loaded semi try to negotiate that thing?
lake4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:10 PM   #12
fatlazyless

You know that since the new roundabout was built at the top of Ladd Hill on Route 3 in Meredith, there has not been even one single fender-bender, let alone an accident with personal injuries. Not even one. That is an excellent safety record and says good things about the ability of the local drivers....correctimondo?

And, did you know, that Keene has a new roundabout that was opened in 2007, and it has had something like 60 accidents including one head-on collision. The Keene roundabout has two lanes while the Meredith roundabout has one lane.

It would be interesting to learn why the Meredith one is so much more accident free than the one in Keene?
Old 03-31-2008, 05:59 PM   #13
Windrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake4life View Post
I hope they hire a different engineering firm than that wreck-waiting-to-happen at the top of the hill. Ever see a loaded semi try to negotiate that thing?
Yes, lake4life, I've seen several and they haven't had a problem, actually zipped right through. Perhaps some drivers are more capable than others but it seems that if they know what they are doing, it's no problem. Sorry but the roundabout works and has been a success.
Windrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:00 PM   #14
froggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
There is a committee comprised of various Meredith people (business owners, residents, town officials, etc) that is and has been looking at possibilities of putting in roundabouts at intersection of Route 25/Route 3, on Route 25 where the Hannaford's store is now being built, and also replacing the lights that now exist at intersection of Route 104/Route 3.

MVSB owns all the land from corner of Route 25/Route 3 up Route 25 to where end of shopping center is located.

Clearly, if they build a roundabout at Route3/Route 25, space will need to come from somewhere... and the logical places to go would be Aubucon/Zackey's Pizza on one side, and Bootlegger's on the other. They probably will get resistance from carving space away from the Inn at Bay point parking lot and the Mill Falls Parking lot. However, if the state wants to, I assume they can take what they want thru eminent domain laws.
ONLY to the movie theater, NOT the shopping center.

LET's contact any member of that committee and get the real story!
And not speculate! A post here can seem very speculative.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:12 AM   #15
Dave M

Fatlazyless, one of the reason for more accidents might be is that Keene has a state college. Meredith sees traffic on weekends, they see it every day and most of the year with kids driving. Been out there with my daughter years ago to look at the college and couldn't believe how busy Keene area was. I'm sure the 2 lanes doesn't help much though. I have no problems with roundabouts as long as they're in the proper place. Meredith is not the right place. You would have constant traffic coming from Rt25(Center Harbor) on weekends so every else would be bottled up.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:31 AM   #16
chipj29

I would think a pedestrian OVERpass would be better in Meredith. Underpass, even just the word, seems so dark and dreary. I would think that the tourists would want to be able to see the lake as they walk through that part of town.
Not to mention cost. Would seem at least to me that an underpass would be a lot more expensive.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:27 AM   #17
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy View Post
ONLY to the movie theater, NOT the shopping center.

LET's contact any member of that committee and get the real story!
And not speculate! A post here can seem very speculative.
Looks like you'll get your chance to hear the real story. "Members of the public will have a chance to better understand the planning study of the Route 3 and 25 corridors during a series of information sessions." Check out this article in The Citizen. http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...467/-1/CITIZEN
Old 08-16-2008, 07:24 AM   #18
sea_n_ski

Default Rotary was built wrong

I had a friend of mine who works for a national firm specializing in road design up this summer. He said the rotary in Meredith was designed incorrectly and the entrance and exit angles are not in line with national standards. How does a large truck pulling a tailer get through there?

Have you driven around that rotary? They had plenty of space yet they made it so tight. Doesn't make sense.

I think the pedestrian underpass solves most of the problems. People crossing the road backs up traffic and causes safety hazards. Maybe they should do that right away and see how it affects traffic. Maybe we don't need a rotary.
sea_n_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:49 AM   #19
Rose

Default It's a roundabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_n_ski View Post
He said the rotary in Meredith was designed incorrectly and the entrance and exit angles are not in line with national standards.
It's actually not a rotary, it's a roundabout, and there is a difference. This link explains the differences and includes a picture of a roundabout being built within a rotary.

My husband used to drive tractor-trailer for a living...he said it wouldn't be a problem for a competent driver. He made it through trailering the boat with no problems.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:53 AM   #20
twoplustwo

How does a large truck pulling a tailer get through there?

I make it through there with an F-250 and a horse trailer just fine. The cobbles are meant to be driven over for trucks that need the room, although I've never had to go up and over them. The visual perception without taking the cobbles into account does make it look as though a tractor trailer could never negotiate through there without issue, but the cobbles aren't there to be pretty (although they do look nice), they actually have a purpose.

I wasn't a fan when it went in, but I'm used to it now as it no longer annoys the poo out of me when I go through it. It's purpose was to slow traffic down and control it's movement, so it certainly accomplished that on busier days. Do I want two more in Meredith? I'd prefer a bypass up and over the entire town but my full support of the tourism industry won't allow me to say that.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:37 PM   #21
no-engine

Quote:
I had a friend of mine who works for a national firm specializing in road design up this summer. He said the rotary in Meredith was designed incorrectly and the entrance and exit angles are not in line with national standards. How does a large truck pulling a tailer get through there?

Have you driven around that rotary? They had plenty of space yet they made it so tight. Doesn't make sense.
Totally correct. It needs to be larger diameter. When there is constant line entering at one road, another can not enter from another road, as traffic keeps coming, w/o any breaks.
I grew up and learned to drive same in a town, about half mile from a circle of larger diameter. State engineers have issues with common sense!
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:49 PM   #22
nj2nh

Ugh. I hate that rotary between the Weirs and Meredith. It is just awful. I really didn't see the need for this one and I don't see the need for the others in downtown Meredith. Really, this is a total waste of money.

I know, there are days when the traffic is abysmal, but better bad traffic than accidents and those rotaries (or roundabouts as my GPS calls them) are just accidents waiting to happen. No one know who has the right of way and that backs up the traffic something fierce!

Now, if you could find a great way to turn left out of Hart's Turkey Farm or Burlwood Antiques, I would be all for it.

nj2nh
(who grew up in Ma and knows all about rotaries)
Old 08-17-2008, 07:27 AM   #23
sea_n_ski

My friend said the entrance and exiting angles are incorrect. It doesn't matter if its a rotary or run about. Its too difficult to get in and out of it.

If they put a runabout in Meredith, What are they going to do to bootleggers and the Pizza shop? They are right on the road now. I heard someone bought the building the Pizza shop and hardware store are in. Can anyone confirm it?
sea_n_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:19 AM   #24
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
I heard someone bought the building the Pizza shop and hardware store are in. Can anyone confirm it?
That building is owned by Meredtih Village Savings Bank and has been for some time.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #25
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor View Post
That building is owned by Meredtih Village Savings Bank and has been for some time.
Confirm same!!!

The existing Meredith rotary/roundabout needs to be larger diameter to be much safer. If drivers read the signs, it's clear that entering yields.

ALSO, entering a highway or interstate YIELDS, as the yellow triangles depict - where did one attend driver ed?

BTW, those circles up for discussion, will be the end of any sanity, if there is sanity on the roads!
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:33 PM   #26
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post
....ALSO, entering a highway or interstate YIELDS, as the yellow triangles depict - ....

Well, when I drive in NH they do but in RI they use their blinkers when entering to warn everone to move over. If you don't you get the "greeting".
Old 08-19-2008, 08:37 AM   #27
chmeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy View Post
One page says May 2005 study. Pretty grand idea!
Almost THREE years! Have we seen anything more recent?
I don't think so.

There will be such an uproar with the taking of Hesky Park, which has deed restrictions!

Let us all conclude that nothing is in the near future; otherwise it'd be all over the newspapers local & state, and other media.

It's NOT a done deal!
I wouldn't be so sure, it looks like by the website that they are planning on going forward with design next year and construction 2010. There are also more recent versions of the plans than the 2005 one attached here.

http://www.meredith3-25.com/Project%20Schedule.htm

Quote:
My friend said the entrance and exiting angles are incorrect. It doesn't matter if its a rotary or run about. Its too difficult to get in and out of it.
I've worked on roundabout design before, and I don't really see any problems with the entry angles, at least one the Route 3 approaches. The only thing that seemed unsual to me was how flat the truck apron (cobbles) is, it usually has a steeper outward slope.

The design of a roundabout is intentionally tight. Slowing down entering and circulating traffic increases safety and actually increases capacity. The latter may seem counterintuitive at first, but the slower you drive the closer you can safely drive behind the guy in front of you, thus more cars make it through at a time. The truck apron allows the roundabout to appear narrow while still providing plenty of room for a tractor trailer to make it through without damaging anything.

I have had no difficulty entering and exiting the roundabout myself. What do you find difficult?

I'll be interested to see if they move forward with the full plan. Its pretty dramatic to say the least. I do agree that it looks difficult to fit a roundabout in by Bootleggers without taking a lot of land.
chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:33 AM   #28
WeirsBeachBoater

We will need new signs. Welcome to Meredith, Intersections designed by NASCAR. Or a Rite Aid Sponsored Sign telling where to get motion sickness pills for all the people dizzy from all the circling around!
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:03 AM   #29
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Roundabouts let traffic move slowly but steadily.......they sure look better than a big tangle of wires,poles and traffic lights.I travel that road every day and they have my vote.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:18 AM   #30
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

"It's actually not a rotary, it's a roundabout, and there is a difference."

No there isn't...A Hemroid is a Hemroid!

They can't pave rt109 but they can put more of these idiotic traffic confusers down in Merideth?

That said there is evidence they save lives. So I guess I'll live with some Preparation H.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/maga...ures/22640.htm
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:35 PM   #31
chmeeee

Rotary just means traffic circle, nothing more. Thus a rotary could be a roundabout, but doesn't have to be. A roundabout is a specific type of traffic circle that follows certain important design standards, the most important ones resulting in limited speed. Narrower circulating lanes, smaller diameter, and sharper entrance angles all reduce speed, thus improving intersection efficiency and safety.

Also, in general a circle is much safer. You have in effect removed the possibility of the high speed broadside collision, which are the most dangerous at traffic signals. When people crash at a roundabout, its either arear-end (same as a signal, but less often) or a narrow angle, sideswipe-type collision. They may result in damaged fenders and egos, but probably won't kill you.

Also, I agree with the above post about aesthetics. A roundabout is much more attractive than a traffic light, and generally actually requires less pavement in the end, since you don't need all kinds of turning lanes. Note that I mean less pavement, not less land, since the circle does usually occupy more land.

chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote