Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default 2008 Timberman 8/16-17

The Timberman race is on for August 16 and 17... if you've never been to see it. You should... wonderful event. Each year they have over 3000 entrants from all over the world. This race includes many of the worlds topped ranked triathletes.

http://www.timbermantri.com/timberman.html

I'm one of the many volunteers. And we need a little help from an "early bird" on Sunday 8/17.

If anyone on the forum could be available at around 5.30 am (yep am), that has a pontoon to help set the markers for the swim course... I have a 20'er but we need to set 9 markers. So a second boat would be VERY helpful. We would need you off Ellacoya State Beach at around 5.30 am. (Boat ramp. very shallow... that's why we need pontoons) A Pontoon with a GPS/Plotter would also be very helpful as the course is set to very specific specs. And checked by the national race officials.

The swim portion starts at 7.00am and will conclude about 8.15 to 8.30...

Then we go back out and pick up the markers. You may also be asked to have some film crews/ photographers on board that record the swimmers during the race.

Contact me via email if you think you could help. (sa12@metrocast.net)

You'll get a nifty Timberman volunteer tee shirt for your efforts and a spectacular view of the swimmers from the water!

Thx SteveA

Added 7/17 - We may also need a few jetskiers. They are used to patrol the swim area and carry a "rescuer" to assist any of the swimmers that cramp up. The fine folks from Lake Shore Park have provided most of the jetskis for many years, but we may need a few more due to the number of entrants this year.

Last edited by SteveA; 07-17-2008 at 06:16 AM. Reason: added info
SteveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:40 AM   #2
SIKSUKR

Darn,I saw the PWC need and thought that would be great.I just checked my schedule and I have to work at 10:am. in Manch.Sorry Steve,don't think I can make that work.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Thanks for trying!

SIKSUKR Thanks for trying. Too bad you have to work!
Old 08-18-2008, 06:39 AM   #4
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default What a great weekend !

The 2008 Timberman was spectacular. 980 athletes for the Sprint on Saturday and 2200 for the 1/2 Ironman on Sunday.

Here are a few photo's.

Sprint Finish (Swim)

Name:  Timberman 2008 07.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  136.9 KB

Sprint Finish Line (Run)

Name:  Timberman 2008 14.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  143.5 KB

Sunset 8/17 from the LSP Footbridge.. note the swim markers for the 1 and 1/2 mile swim for the 1/2 Ironman on Sunday

Name:  Timberman 2008 19.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  83.1 KB

Half Mile (Long Leg) Check out all the volunteers with a birds eye view!

Name:  Timberman 2008 25.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  107.4 KB

Team Hoyt .. Father Dick Hoyt tows his son Rick in the swim portion of the race.
for more on this remarkable team read here. (Read the Who We Are section.. )

http://www.teamhoyt.com/index.html

Name:  Timberman 2008 26.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  115.9 KB
Old 08-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
SIKSUKR

Sorry I missed that event Steve.Looks like LSP had lots of activity this weekend.I managed to get to the lake at 3 pm Sunday and had to negotiate through the runners to get to the Glendale ramp.That Dick Hoyt is just one incredible man!I'm really sorry I did not get to see him in the swim leg.What an inspiration!
Old 08-22-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
scubajay1153

Default A great weekend!

Was there in the Laconia FD boat both days and it was quite a great pair of events. Other then a few well intentioned people with minimal kayak experience needing assistance and shooing away a couple people who got to close for saftey we had a very uneventful couple of standbys. I was very impressed to learn about Mt. Hoyt and his son, just shows the love a parent has for their child is the strongest one around. Maybe next yeat we will feild a team of firefighters to run in the sprint.......hm....maybe....
scubajay1153 is offline   Reply With Quote