Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2022, 07:02 AM   #1
Momofthreema

Default Southdown/Long Bay or Wolfeboro

After pausing our search for a couple of years, we are planning to buy a home in the area in the next year or so. We’ve narrowed it down to the Southdown/Long Bay Area in Laconia or the downtown area of Wolfeboro. We will have a boat at a marina/mooring either way. We have friends in Southdown, and they love it, and it does seem really nice, but we love the small town feel and walkability of Wolfeboro. It’s about 20 minutes further for us to drive to Wolfeboro. Any insider tips on either of these areas that we are not considering?
Momofthreema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:13 AM   #2
8gv

When you say the boat will be on a mooring or at a marina, how important is that for you?

The availability of either may drive your purchase.

At Long Bay you can buy a home with a deeded boat slip, buy one without a slip and hope to buy or rent someone else's slip or wait forever for a mooring.

There was an attempt to get more moorings approved by the state but the answer was "no".

While I can't speak to South Down's current boat situation it may be similarly full.

They do have racks that are privately owned which are occasionally rented out.

I live in Long Bay and it is a very good place for walking around but you'll not be walking to shops or dinner.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:35 AM   #3
Momofthreema

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
When you say the boat will be on a mooring or at a marina, how important is that for you?

The availability of either may drive your purchase.

At Long Bay you can buy a home with a deeded boat slip, buy one without a slip and hope to buy or rent someone else's slip or wait forever for a mooring.

There was an attempt to get more moorings approved by the state but the answer was "no".

While I can't speak to South Down's current boat situation it may be similarly full.

They do have racks that are privately owned which are occasionally rented out.

I live in Long Bay and it is a very good place for walking around but you'll not be walking to shops or dinner.
Ok, all great to know, thanks! So we should really look for a house with a deeded boat slip, I didn’t know that was a possibility. Also, it looks like the HOA fees are a lot higher at Long Bay compared to South Down, is that because of the pool?
Old 08-09-2022, 07:37 AM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

One thing I've come to appreciate about living in an association is that we rarely leave once we get there—it's gated, similarly to SDS/LB, so we walk the roads or take golf carts everywhere, which is pretty cool.

That being said, when we looked at SDS, what we could afford would've been far from the water. In my opinion, anything more than ~3-5 minute walk changes the nature of being "on the water" and anything >10 minutes changes being "near town."

So, for me, it would be a calculation including the following:
1. How close to the lake/boat/town would we be and what are the realistic walking times?
2. How many friends do we have in the association?
3. How much do I like the style of home including: garage, outdoor stuff (screen porch, BBQ, fire pit), private seating, view.
4. What are the total associated costs—HOA fees vs. taxes, etc.?

This is exciting—good luck!

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:49 AM   #5
Momofthreema

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
One thing I've come to appreciate about living in an association is that we rarely leave once we get there—it's gated, similarly to SDS/LB, so we walk the roads or take golf carts everywhere, which is pretty cool.

That being said, when we looked at SDS, what we could afford would've been far from the water. In my opinion, anything more than ~3-5 minute walk changes the nature of being "on the water" and anything >10 minutes changes being "near town."

So, for me, it would be a calculation including the following:
1. How close to the lake/boat/town would we be and what are the realistic walking times?
2. How many friends do we have in the association?
3. How much do I like the style of home including: garage, outdoor stuff (screen porch, BBQ, fire pit), private seating, view.
4. What are the total associated costs—HOA fees vs. taxes, etc.?

This is exciting—good luck!

Agreed, it’s all a balance! My husband would be fine with a huge lot in the middle of nowhere, but I need neighbors or a walkable town and so do my teens. I’d like a way to cool off when we’re not on the boat, either jump in the pool or jump in the lake without needing to get in the car. I like the idea of an association pool, because this will be a second home, at least for the next 5 years, so I don’t love the idea of a private pool when we won’t be there all the time. But we can’t afford lakefront, so the appeal of the associations with lake access are incredibly appealing.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2022, 08:04 AM   #6
Major

Default South Down/Long Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofthreema View Post
Ok, all great to know, thanks! So we should really look for a house with a deeded boat slip, I didn’t know that was a possibility. Also, it looks like the HOA fees are a lot higher at Long Bay compared to South Down, is that because of the pool?
We owned in South Down from 2001-2009 and have lived full time in Long Bay since 2008. Both communities are great! South Down has greater options for boating since it has boat racks in which you can valet your boat. Boat racks come up for sale from time-to-time, or may be part of the unit you are buying.

Long Bay has nicer beaches (IMHO) and the pool is great if you have children who like pools. The docks in Long Bay are terrible in my opinion. They are narrow and somewhat rickety. Also, the waves from Paugus Bay seem to hit the Long Bay docks much harder than the South Down docks.

Regarding fees, the Long Bay fees have gone up significantly since we first bought in Long Bay. They are now $2,300 per year. The reason for the great increase is to boost the Association's reserve. The fees for South Down aren't trivial since there are association fees for the condo complex, for the recreational association and the boat association if you belong.

Good luck. You can't go wrong either way.
Major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:10 AM   #7
Momofthreema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
We owned in South Down from 2001-2009 and have lived full time in Long Bay since 2008. Both communities are great! South Down has greater options for boating since it has boat racks in which you can valet your boat. Boat racks come up for sale from time-to-time, or may be part of the unit you are buying.

Long Bay has nicer beaches (IMHO) and the pool is great if you have children who like pools. The docks in Long Bay are terrible in my opinion. They are narrow and somewhat rickety. Also, the waves from Paugus Bay seem to hit the Long Bay docks much harder than the South Down docks.

Regarding fees, the Long Bay fees have gone up significantly since we first bought in Long Bay. They are now $2,300 per year. The reason for the great increase is to boost the Association's reserve. The fees for South Down aren't trivial since there are association fees for the condo complex, for the recreational association and the boat association if you belong.

Good luck. You can't go wrong either way.
Thank you so much, this is incredibly helpful! Interesting about the fees, one of the current listings in Long Bay has the monthly fees listed as $500/mo, which would be $6000 a year, do you think that’s just an error in the listing, or do some Houses pay more?
Old 08-09-2022, 08:51 AM   #8
Major

Quote:
Thank you so much, this is incredibly helpful! Interesting about the fees, one of the current listings in Long Bay has the monthly fees listed as $500/mo, which would be $6000 a year, do you think that’s just an error in the listing, or do some Houses pay more?
Although Long Bay has single family units (save two duplexes, I think) some of the houses are built on common land, referred to as villages, meaning you own the structure but not the land. My home is on a lot that I own, and my fee to Long Bay Association II is $2,300 per year. I would guess that the $500 per month figure is for village and association fees combined. Two homes for sale are located in Bay Reach and the other home for sale is located in The Willows. I am not sure about the fees charged by the villages. I would definitely drill down on this. Also, with any purchase of a condominium, I would review the last 3 years of the association's minutes to make sure everything is copacetic.

Good luck!
Old 08-09-2022, 09:56 AM   #9
Momofthreema

Quote:
Although Long Bay has single family units (save two duplexes, I think) some of the houses are built on common land, referred to as villages, meaning you own the structure but not the land. My home is on a lot that I own, and my fee to Long Bay Association II is $2,300 per year. I would guess that the $500 per month figure is for village and association fees combined. Two homes for sale are located in Bay Reach and the other home for sale is located in The Willows. I am not sure about the fees charged by the villages. I would definitely drill down on this. Also, with any purchase of a condominium, I would review the last 3 years of the association's minutes to make sure everything is copacetic.

Good luck!
Ok, got it! I will work with our realtor to dig up all of this info. Really appreciate the details!
Old 08-09-2022, 10:01 AM   #10
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Every area will have positives, and negatives.

I enjoy visiting Wolfeboro and the shops on Main Street but there are a limited number of stores that are not high priced. We often go over by boat and patronize the restaurants.

The other side of the lake (Gilford/Laconia) has a lot of stores including two grocery stores and Lowes and WalMart.

If the home you buy is to become a full time home, as opposed to a weekend/vacation home, the proximity of stores becomes important. When you no longer commute from your present house that portion of your decision will no longer matter.

Some Saturday's while working on home projects (and because I am a poor planner) I end up at Lowes 2 or 3 times. It makes it easier because it is close by.

There are going to be trade offs wherever you buy but as has been said, the arrangements for a boat should be a serious consideration in the discussion.

Last edited by TiltonBB; 08-11-2022 at 06:36 AM.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:12 AM   #11
Momofthreema

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Everyone area will have positives, and negatives.

I enjoy visiting Wolfeboro and the shops on Main Street but there are a limited number of stores that are not high priced. We often go over by boat and patronize the restaurants.

The other side of the lake (Gilford/Laconia) has a lot of stores including two grocery stores and Lowes and WalMart.

If the home you buy is to become a full time home, as opposed to a weekend/vacation home, the proximity of stores becomes important. When you no longer commute from your present house that portion of your decision will no longer matter.

Some Saturday's while working on home projects (and because I am a poor planner) I end up at Lowes 2 or 3 times. It makes it easier because it is close by.

There are going to be trade offs wherever you buy but as has been said, the arrangements for a boat should be a serious consideration in the discussion.
Yes to all of this! When we moved to our current house from a city with two targets within 10 minutes, I was shocked at needing to drive 30 minutes for a lowes or Target. Excellent point. We’re hoping to buy a house that we can put our own stamp on, so trips to Lowes will be frequent!
Old 08-09-2022, 10:21 AM   #12
thinkxingu

Quote:

One of the benefits of public forums like this is hearing things you wouldn't have considered—what you mention about the changes from going part to full-time are good.

Because of that, however, I needed to look up Wolfeboro to see about building/home supplies, and, besides the hardware store downtown (which, by the way, I would KILL for in my home town), there's a Hancock Lumber. Besides (maybe) tad higher prices, I gotta think those would suffice.

Still would need to know about grocery stores...

Old 08-09-2022, 10:30 AM   #13
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Ok, got it! I will work with our realtor to dig up all of this info. Really appreciate the details!
I have lived in both South Down and Long Bay from 2007 to 2016. Both communities are great and have pluses and minus' at to better beachs, boat facilities and a pool.

I did prefer Long Bay as it has two beaches and the pool, additionally if you live in Long Bay you can still rent a slip or rack in South Down from a private owner.

It is important to remeber in both communitites there are master HOA's (Long Bay and South Down) then ther are sub HOA's in each little community if Long Bay (I was in Prides Point) and most homes in South Down are also in sub HOA's although there are homes in South Down that do not have sub HOA's along Crimsom Drive and Drummers Trail.

In 2017 i moved from Long Bay to the Meredith Bay community, which I love but just like anything else there are plus' and minus'. I miss the easy access to the snowmobile trails in the winter and it is a realtively flat community for jogging where Meredith Bay doesnt really have clear acces to the trails and is extremely hilly. On the other hand when boating I do not have to deal with the conga line coming through the channel, our HOA fees included membership to Akwa Marina so we have a beach, two pools and a resturant and it is a much smaller community.

As far as Wolfboro, I love the town and usually visit 2-3 times a year, I prefer this side of the lake.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:51 AM   #14
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I have lived in both South Down and Long Bay from 2007 to 2016. Both communities are great and have pluses and minus' at to better beachs, boat facilities and a pool.

I did prefer Long Bay as it has two beaches and the pool, additionally if you live in Long Bay you can still rent a slip or rack in South Down from a private owner.

It is important to remeber in both communitites there are master HOA's (Long Bay and South Down) then ther are sub HOA's in each little community if Long Bay (I was in Prides Point) and most homes in South Down are also in sub HOA's although there are homes in South Down that do not have sub HOA's along Crimsom Drive and Drummers Trail.

In 2017 i moved from Long Bay to the Meredith Bay community, which I love but just like anything else there are plus' and minus'. I miss the easy access to the snowmobile trails in the winter and it is a realtively flat community for jogging where Meredith Bay doesnt really have clear acces to the trails and is extremely hilly. On the other hand when boating I do not have to deal with the conga line coming through the channel, our HOA fees included membership to Akwa Marina so we have a beach, two pools and a resturant and it is a much smaller community.

As far as Wolfboro, I love the town and usually visit 2-3 times a year, I prefer this side of the lake.
Hi Joey, great info! Just one minor correction, South Down now prohibits Long Bay owners from renting a rack or a slip at South Down. They changed it just after you left in 2017. It sort of pissed me off at the time since I had been renting a rack since 2009 and helped contribute to funding the boat yard during the down times. However, as a result, we are now at Lakeport Landing and couldn't be happier. A covered boat slip and we can come and go as we please without having to worry about valet service or open docks when we return.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:14 AM   #15
joey2665

Quote:
Hi Joey, great info! Just one minor correction, South Down now prohibits Long Bay owners from renting a rack or a slip at South Down. They changed it just after you left in 2017. It sort of pissed me off at the time since I had been renting a rack since 2009 and helped contribute to funding the boat yard during the down times. However, as a result, we are now at Lakeport Landing and couldn't be happier. A covered boat slip and we can come and go as we please without having to worry about valet service or open docks when we return.
Major, wow that a huge change, one of the reasons I left was my slip owner sold his home and slip and no other were available to rent or for sale in Long Bay. I love the convienence of taking the cart to the boat.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:09 PM   #16
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:

The hardware store in Wolfeboro is excellent. It is a shorter walk from the docks to the store than it is from one end of Lowes to the other when you find yourself in the wrong department. And is easier to find knowledgeable staff. One thing I do like about big boxes is that I can order something in the local store for delivery to the FL store, and be sure of what I'm getting and return policy.

Boating?
Friends on Narragansett Bay keep their boat on a mooring and there is a launch to get them out and back. Works very well. If you have to row out and back in a dinghy, in the rain/wind, I'd say NO WAY! Watching the availability of slips and valet move up and down as marinas are bought and sold, I'd want to own my slip or rack if at all possible. Renewing a rental slip/rack can fail unexpectedly and you are always subject to rent increases. It is not unusual for rent to be due all at once for the year, no monthly payments. If you're buying a boat from a dealer, he will work hard to find a slip but that doesn't mean it is renewable in a subsequent season. Get the biggest one you can--you may want a bigger boat someday, and it will be easier to sell/rent should that become part of your plan.
Winter? Belknap County taxpayers get season pass discounts at Gunstock.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 01:27 PM   #17
jetskier

Post Not quite

Quote:
It is permissable for a private berth owner to rent to a Long Bay owner. South Down owns 65 berths which are rented annually; I believe that they are preferentially rented to South Down owners and if there is availability to Long Bay owners.

jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 01:45 PM   #18
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
It is permissable for a private berth owner to rent to a Long Bay owner. South Down owns 65 berths which are rented annually; I believe that they are preferentially rented to South Down owners and if there is availability to Long Bay owners.

jetskier
That was not my experience. I rented from a South Down rack owner and received a letter from Carol Downing from Irwin's saying that I was prohibited from renting any more. I believe there is a prohibition from renting to Long Bay owners, unless it recently changed.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:45 PM   #19
marinewife

Not sure about your budget, but everything under the sun has been bought in Wolfeboro since Covid for very inflated prices. Corinthian Boat Club has a 5 yr + wait, and downtown has been clogged like I've never seen in 10 years with traffic. It is walkable, and there are 2 food markets, with the Mill St Market shop also being an option for both meat and seafood.

It's a nice little town but November - April are pretty quiet months, so the other side may have more to offer you on the whole. Spending time in all of your choice areas will probably give you the right gut feeling and plan. Good luck to you!
marinewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 01:52 PM   #20
Major

Default Mea Culpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post

jetskier
Hi Jetskier, you are correct, it is permissible for a private owner to rent. The person I rented from sold his home, and Carol related that SDSC prohibits renting its racks to Long Bay owners, but allows private rentals. The year my rack was sold, there were little or no racks available. Sorry!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
jetskier (08-09-2022), joey2665 (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 02:12 PM   #21
knowit

Just compare the taxes of Wolfeboro vs Laconia. That makes it pretty simple to me at least.
knowit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 04:35 PM   #22
8gv

I pay Long Bay fees of $1,750/year and my "village" fee is $500/year.

We own our home and lot.

Real estate agents and their clients sometimes get the fee numbers wrong.

Due diligence is a must.

Regarding an owned boat slip:

Check with the town to see what the annual taxes are.

Also, there may be an annual fee for general dock maintenance.

If your intention is to make it your permanent residence in five years you may benefit from waiting a while.

The vacation home demand here may have peaked and more reasonable prices could be on the horizon.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:24 PM   #23
jetskier

Post I do it now.

Quote:
That was not my experience. I rented from a South Down rack owner and received a letter from Carol Downing from Irwin's saying that I was prohibited from renting any more. I believe there is a prohibition from renting to Long Bay owners, unless it recently changed.
I have been renting a rack to a Long Bay owner the past 3 seasons. I am not sure why Carol told you that it is problematic.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:27 PM   #24
jetskier

Post Makes sense

Quote:
Hi Jetskier, you are correct, it is permissible for a private owner to rent. The person I rented from sold his home, and Carol related that SDSC prohibits renting its racks to Long Bay owners, but allows private rentals. The year my rack was sold, there were little or no racks available. Sorry!
Makes sense...TY
Old 08-09-2022, 06:58 PM   #25
Momofthreema

Quote:
I pay Long Bay fees of $1,750/year and my "village" fee is $500/year.

We own our home and lot.

Real estate agents and their clients sometimes get the fee numbers wrong.

Due diligence is a must.

Regarding an owned boat slip:

Check with the town to see what the annual taxes are.

Also, there may be an annual fee for general dock maintenance.

If your intention is to make it your permanent residence in five years you may benefit from waiting a while.

The vacation home demand here may have peaked and more reasonable prices could be on the horizon.
Yes, agree 100%…we are just getting back into the market because we see the beginning of the softening, we missed the run up by about 6 months in 2020, so we decided to pull back and watch. I think there will be a definite softening over the next 24 months, so we’re hoping to find a desirable house at a price we think is reasonable. We’re seeing sooooo many houses priced 200k-300k higher than what they were bought for 2-2.5 years ago. That’s usually not sustainable over the long term. Not trying to time the market, but also trying to be smart with our hard earned dollars. 🤞
Old 08-10-2022, 09:28 PM   #26
Juiced06GTO

Tons of great info in this thread! My wife and I are also seriously considering a second home around the lake now that things seem to have slowed a little, just watching the price reductions come through on Zillow has got me excited again! Good luck with your search!
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Juiced06GTO For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-11-2022), DotRat (08-11-2022), joey2665 (08-10-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 06:50 AM   #27
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I hate associations. I was on a board once and the politics are ridiculous.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:39 AM   #28
8gv

Associations are not for everybody.

Whenever there are humans involved it can get interesting.

That said, I could not live where I live and enjoy the amenities of this nice neighborhood without an HOA.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:29 PM   #29
Taz

Default Paugus Bay

I would never want to keep my boat in Paugus Bay. Why would you want to have to navigate Paugus Bay and the channel every time you want to get out to the lake?
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:51 PM   #30
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
I would never want to keep my boat in Paugus Bay. Why would you want to have to navigate Paugus Bay and the channel every time you want to get out to the lake?
What is Paugus Bay like in terms of chop/wave action? The Weirs is among the absolute worst areas, so I can see having a lot of days I wouldn't want to come out the channel, but is Paugus Bay ok by itself?

Old 08-11-2022, 07:00 PM   #31
Momofthreema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Ok, I’m not being fresh, I honestly want an insider’s opinion. I kind of find the limbo out of Paugus to be fun, but I only do it a couple of times a summer. If you could leave your boat anywhere on the lake, where would you dock it? We are totally open to suggestions
Old 08-11-2022, 07:11 PM   #32
FlyingScot

Quote:
Ok, I’m not being fresh, I honestly want an insider’s opinion. I kind of find the limbo out of Paugus to be fun, but I only do it a couple of times a summer. If you could leave your boat anywhere on the lake, where would you dock it? We are totally open to suggestions
Finally--a wise man! We spend 9 month dreaming of the bliss of being on our boats, then we can't stand delay/time seeming to move slowly once we're out there...
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:24 PM   #33
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
What is Paugus Bay like in terms of chop/wave action? The Weirs is among the absolute worst areas, so I can see having a lot of days I wouldn't want to come out the channel, but is Paugus Bay ok by itself?

Paugus is relatively calm. The busiest area is coming into the channel and near Long Bay. Closer you get to lakeport more calm it usually is. But remember it’s not that big.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 08-11-2022, 09:10 PM   #34
LoveLakeLife

Quote:
My ideal dock space would be a small cove toward the middle of the south side of lake where it’s calm, e.g., Fish, Salmon Meadow, Ash, Wentworth, Mill, Glidden Coves or the leeward side of an island.

LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:24 PM   #35
8gv

Paugus Bay...

When we head out to the main lake we chuckle about the fact that the folks in Paugus Bay are heading out through the Weirs channel while a similar number of boats are heading into Paugus Bay.

Then it goes the other way later in the afternoon!

It doesn't bother me to traverse the channel.

The people watching can be interesting.

As for chop in the bay, the docks at Long Bay are best used bow in but that means the rollers from wake boarders, tubers and farmers (those who only know how to plow) pound the stern.

I am glad to have a mooring!
Old 08-12-2022, 09:48 AM   #36
brk-lnt

Quote:
We had a place in South Down, with a boat, for 10 years. Paugus Bay was great, at least then. Generally calmer and less crowded than the rest of the lake, a good sandbar, Naswa, Margate, etc. It's basically a mini version of the larger lake, so you can go and do stuff without being too far away, which is nice at times if the weather looks dicey, or you don't have all day for boating. And of course, a 10 minute ride through the channel gets you to the rest of the lake.

All things considered, if/when we decide to get another place on the lake, Paugus Bay and Southdown/Longbay would still be at the top of our list for options.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:33 AM   #37
garysanfran

I wish there were public docking in Paugus Bay for access to Shaws, Hannaford, Lowes, downtown Laconia, etc. That would open up a whole new dimension to Paugus.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:42 AM   #38
John Mercier

Downtown Laconia?
You mean Lakeport?
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:48 AM   #39
garysanfran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Downtown Laconia?
You mean Lakeport?
Yup. I stand corrected.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 02:03 PM   #40
Momofthreema

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
We had a place in South Down, with a boat, for 10 years. Paugus Bay was great, at least then. Generally calmer and less crowded than the rest of the lake, a good sandbar, Naswa, Margate, etc. It's basically a mini version of the larger lake, so you can go and do stuff without being too far away, which is nice at times if the weather looks dicey, or you don't have all day for boating. And of course, a 10 minute ride through the channel gets you to the rest of the lake.

All things considered, if/when we decide to get another place on the lake, Paugus Bay and Southdown/Longbay would still be at the top of our list for options.
I'm so happy to hear this! I think we are definitely leaning back toward those neighborhoods and it is such a great endorsement to hear that you would move back!
Old 08-12-2022, 02:08 PM   #41
joey2665

Quote:
I'm so happy to hear this! I think we are definitely leaning back toward those neighborhoods and it is such a great endorsement to hear that you would move back!
You wont be disapointed. I am happy in Meredith Bay but if I moved anywhere ele it would be back there. Just an FYI I do prefer Long Bay over Southdown
Old 08-12-2022, 02:13 PM   #42
Momofthreema

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
You wont be disapointed. I am happy in Meredith Bay but if I moved anywhere ele it would be back there. Just an FYI I do prefer Long Bay over Southdown
Thanks! There is something about Long Bay that I like better too! The only downside is the lack of boat storage, but we can figure that out. One of the properties that was available went under agreement in the last couple of days, so it seems like the neighborhood is still in demand!
The Following User Says Thank You to Momofthreema For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 08:02 PM   #43
John Mercier

I am not sure what it would take for lakefront/lake access property to actually go ''out of demand''. There are only so many lots.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:14 PM   #44
8gv

A plague of frogs?
Old 08-12-2022, 09:33 PM   #45
Momofthreema

Quote:
I am not sure what it would take for lakefront/lake access property to actually go ''out of demand''. There are only so many lots.
So…you are correct, it doesn’t go out of demand…it becomes less desirable in a market downturn for anyone who looks at it as an investment. Yes…it’s a heck of a lot of fun to have a place on the lake, but there is always a risk when you buy in a “vacation” town. Typically vacation(lake centered, mountain centered, beach centered etc) homes are the most highly volatile type of real estate, so there are always peaks and valleys that are exacerbated in those types of markets. What will be interesting to watch this time around is if the ability to work remotely for many upper management executives makes this downturn less severe.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:15 PM   #46
John Mercier

I think we are in the ''six foot pit'' rule... so it may not have the downturn that is expected.
Old 08-13-2022, 08:05 AM   #47
Momofthreema

Quote:
I think we are in the ''six foot pit'' rule... so it may not have the downturn that is expected.
What’s the “6 foot pit” rule, I’ve never heard that term before
Old 08-13-2022, 08:36 AM   #48
John Mercier

Same as some call the ''rocking chair'' rule.

My grandfather used to say as you neared retirement, you would realize that you had enough resources to pursue some of the things you may have wanted earlier in life, but could not afford or were too financially cautious at the time to splurge on.

As the Boomers, the largest population in the US yet to reach that stage, continue into that stage... the demand for those things increases to the point that demand is relatively constant.
Old 08-13-2022, 09:31 AM   #49
FlyingScot

Quote:

My grandfather used to say as you neared retirement, you would realize that you had enough resources to pursue some of the things you may have wanted earlier in life, but could not afford or were too financially cautious at the time to splurge on.

As the Boomers, the largest population in the US yet to reach that stage, continue into that stage... the demand for those things increases to the point that demand is relatively constant.
I agree with this. In addition to age demographic is the average wealth of today's buyers vs yesterday's.

Years ago, people would strive to afford a lake house, and buy as soon as they could, taking out a mortgage in the low six figures. When that home appreciated it was a significant percentage of their net worth. it could be cashed in for a meaningful improvement in lifestyle elsewhere.

Today it's millions for a waterfront property. Buyers are using gains from their employee stock options or stock portfolio. These buyers are often set for life. (Really--would you drop $2-3MM on a vacation spot if you weren't set?) Thus these new buyers will not tempted to sell for lifestyle/cash considerations. Thus their holding period is likely to be longer, diminishing future inventory
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 12:33 PM   #50
Momofthreema

Quote:

Yup, I can totally see that, it’s actually a huge part of why inventory was so low over the last two years. In the past as people aged, they wanted to downsize, move to single level living or a condo, now those condos often represent an uptick in cost over their current living situation. Many young people couldn’t/can’t buy first time homes because people are staying put as they age. It’s a really interesting demographic change and it’s effecting the two biggest groups in the baby boomers and the millennials. Hopefully there will be something left for those of us in the often forgotten Gen X crowd ��
Mainly it will be super interesting to watch how this shakes out locally over the next 24 months. Other parts of the country have definitely had the brakes slammed on in the real estate market, but it hasn’t quite reached New England yet. The good news is, we are back to a place where buyers can do inspections, and other due diligence before signing their names on the dotted line. So even if there isn’t a huge price drop, being able to do due diligence on a 600-800k investment will definitely help me sleep better at night!
Old 08-13-2022, 02:28 PM   #51
John Mercier

Well, the peak Boomer birth year was 1959... so I still think it has a lot of fire.

You'll see some properties with price reductions because the ''set for life'' aren't so set. I have met more than my share of those over the last couple of years.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
Momofthreema (08-13-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 05:37 PM   #52
8gv

Earlier in this thread I incorrectly posted what my Long Bay and Village fees are.

The correct numbers are:

Long Bay $2,300

Village $500

I humbly apologize for providing fake news.

Old 08-13-2022, 05:53 PM   #53
Momofthreema

Quote:
Earlier in this thread I incorrectly posted what my Long Bay and Village fees are.

The correct numbers are:

Long Bay $2,300

Village $500

I humbly apologize for providing fake news.

You are so good. Thank you for setting the record straight
Old 08-13-2022, 08:08 PM   #54
joey2665

Quote:
You are so good. Thank you for setting the record straight
The village or sub HOA fees vary by each village. When I left prides point 5 years age we were 2500.00 per year but that included landscaping and snow removal for common area and road but also all your house landscaping and snow removal additionally mulch and trimming for your home plus snow removal for your driveway walkway to the front door and a path to you propane tank. A good deal as far as HOA fees go.

Old 08-15-2022, 07:25 AM   #55
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Hoa

I've shopped around the Lakes Region for a 'decent' HOA. I settled down at Wildwood Village on Lake Winnisquam. We do have limited mooring for boats and storage for kayaks/canoes. HOAs on Lake Winnipesaukee is way too expensive and the lake is too busy for my taste.

Forget about Squam Lake. When properties are up for sale, the Squam Lake Association pretty much governs what you can and cannot do with the property, like an HOA.

Newfound Lake is another gem. Lately, properties have skyrocketed as it is in big demand! My sister lucked out decades ago, buying buildable land on Newfound. She already had offers quadrupled what she paid for!

Unless you have deep pockets for LB/SD and Wolfeboro it will pay to shop around.
Old 09-07-2022, 07:49 AM   #56
Momofthreema

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I've shopped around the Lakes Region for a 'decent' HOA. I settled down at Wildwood Village on Lake Winnisquam. We do have limited mooring for boats and storage for kayaks/canoes. HOAs on Lake Winnipesaukee is way too expensive and the lake is too busy for my taste.

Forget about Squam Lake. When properties are up for sale, the Squam Lake Association pretty much governs what you can and cannot do with the property, like an HOA.

Newfound Lake is another gem. Lately, properties have skyrocketed as it is in big demand! My sister lucked out decades ago, buying buildable land on Newfound. She already had offers quadrupled what she paid for!

Unless you have deep pockets for LB/SD and Wolfeboro it will pay to shop around.
That's great to hear! We looked at a couple of homes attached to that neighborhood. Do people get together for neighborhood gatherings? Does it feel safe? We aren't looking at only gated communities, but there is something appealing about that with South Down and Long Bay.
Old 09-08-2022, 06:41 AM   #57
beantownbaby

Quote:
That's great to hear! We looked at a couple of homes attached to that neighborhood. Do people get together for neighborhood gatherings? Does it feel safe? We aren't looking at only gated communities, but there is something appealing about that with South Down and Long Bay.
We live in South Down and really love it here. There is as much or little social scene as you want. It feels safe and there are so many things available to enjoy, as well as nice people.
beantownbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beantownbaby For This Useful Post:
Momofthreema (09-15-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 08:25 AM   #58
8gv

As an added bonus we get to observe "gate jousting" or its aftermath on a regular basis.

It's amazing how invisible those gate arms can be!
Old 09-08-2022, 09:14 AM   #59
joey2665

Quote:
As an added bonus we get to observe "gate jousting" or its aftermath on a regular basis.

It's amazing how invisible those gate arms can be!
Lol. It's pretty funny and unbeleivable how often it happens. My ex still lives there and in my new community where i have been for 5 years it has only happened once.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:45 AM   #60
Momofthreema

Quote:
Originally Posted by beantownbaby View Post
We live in South Down and really love it here. There is as much or little social scene as you want. It feels safe and there are so many things available to enjoy, as well as nice people.
That's so great to hear! We definitely love being part of a neighborhood, getting together with neighbors etc, but also just like to light a fire in the backyard and relax. Are there any rules about outdoor firepits in the neighborhood?
Old 09-15-2022, 06:17 PM   #61
8gv

To have a real firewood fire it must be 25' from any structure per the fire dept. and HOA rules.

A propane fire pit seems to be exempt from that,

I am waiting for my new electric powered fire pit because that's how I roll.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:35 PM   #62
thinkxingu

Quote:
That's so great to hear! We definitely love being part of a neighborhood, getting together with neighbors etc, but also just like to light a fire in the backyard and relax. Are there any rules about outdoor firepits in the neighborhood?
When we looked at Southdown, there were no fire pits allowed—that was for the condo-style rather than the standalone homes. Definitely check the HOA docs if that's something you're looking for.

Old 09-29-2022, 12:48 PM   #63
laketrout

Quote:
Yes, agree 100%…we are just getting back into the market because we see the beginning of the softening, we missed the run up by about 6 months in 2020, so we decided to pull back and watch. I think there will be a definite softening over the next 24 months, so we’re hoping to find a desirable house at a price we think is reasonable. We’re seeing sooooo many houses priced 200k-300k higher than what they were bought for 2-2.5 years ago. That’s usually not sustainable over the long term. Not trying to time the market, but also trying to be smart with our hard earned dollars. ��
Best of luck trying go find a home that is priced reasonably. at is time in lb Or sds ! Great for sellers beware of Laconia property taxes.Both sds or lb are great communities having lived in both. I live in Long bay now the beaches are a lot nicer IMO.

Last edited by laketrout; 09-29-2022 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Typos
laketrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:57 AM   #64
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
Best of luck trying go find a home that is priced reasonably. at is time in lb Or sds ! Great for sellers beware of Laconia property taxes.Both sds or lb are great communities having lived in both. I live in Long bay now the beaches are a lot nicer IMO.
I live in Long Bay too and can second the beaches. They are very nice and not nearly as crowded as the SD beach, especially during holidays.