Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
Misty Blue

Default Here's your sign...

Hi Folks!

I have a problem. About 20 years ago my wife, Deb, came home from Heaths with a 1968 century! She picked a 3 by 5 card off of the cork board and made the call. We cleaned her up and named her the "Deb's Joy".

I went to Pauquette signs and spoke to Annie (from Annie and the Orphans) When he asked me if I wanted the "good gold paint" I said yea, sure, fine. It was 300 bucks! I didn't understand that gold leaf was more that gold paint.

So here is the favor. The sign is in great disrepair. The varnish is flaking off of it (I have refinished it twice) and I am afraid to use chemicals or sand over the gold leaf for fear of more damage.

I know that Annie would do it for me at an honest price. I'm just not sure that I want to go there.

Any advice on chemicals, tools, magic that can be used to restore the sign?

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:41 PM   #2
fatlazyless

www.artist-on-the-loose.com she could probably repair it very nicely with faux pseudo gold leaf paint, made by Rustoleum....she never turns down an art redo project.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:06 PM   #3
dpg

Not sure why you don't want to go to Annie?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:03 AM   #4
WJT2

Default Gold Leaf

I am a little confused. "good gold paint" as you refer is it paint or actually gold leaf? Gold Leaf is not cheap and process requires artist talent such as a sign person. If it is $300.00 for Gold Leaf that's not a bad price from quotes I'm hearing. Is Annie going to prep the sign before lettering and is that inlcuded in the $300.00? The sign should be stripped and re-stained and 3-5 coats of varnish, sand after last coat with very fine sandpaper, the letter, then a final coat of varnish over the sign.
WJT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:17 AM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Be true to Deb's Joy character

If you maintain Deb's Joy as a show quality classic, no question that gold leaf is the answer. If she is just maintained as a nice family boat, you could do gold paint and still look very nice.

In any event, I have always preferred a name board instead of applying something directly to the hull. When you sell or otherwise dispose of the boat, keep the name board, along with a nice picture. Hanging on the wall, it's conversation and memories for generations to come. If you have to re-letter at some future time, it's easy to take the name board to the shop in the trunk of your car, while the boat is snuggled away for the winter.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2015, 05:55 AM   #6
Misty Blue

Default Annie

I have absolutely no problem with Annie or his prices. I was just asking if there was a 'Do it yourself" job that I could do.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote