Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Red Hill Dari

I was out for a ride on my bike a couple of days ago and stopped in at the Red Hill Dari for a quick bite. I just had a cheeseburger and fries- very good and reasonably priced.

What really impressed me was the positive attitude of the servers and appearance/ cleanliness of the place in general- it was immaculate. I also like the fact that all of the condiments are right there outside the window (including wetnaps) without having to ask for them.

Good job Red Hill!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Cristen (09-13-2009), RI Swamp Yankee (08-31-2009), twoplustwo (08-29-2009)
Old 08-29-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
twoplustwo

Default it's a gem

SamIAm has a great place in the Dari - Mickey runs it wonderfully, our kids have a nice, safe, clean place to work (thanks!!), and it's the best lobster roll around. The food is excellent there, always. You can't ask for more of a business or an employer (of your kid).

If you saw a very short, curly-headed dirty blonde with a big smile at the window, she belongs to me. The Dari keeps her in gas money all summer. And lets me keep my money all summer
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (04-09-2012), RI Swamp Yankee (08-31-2009)
Old 08-29-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
jrc

OK where is it?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
OK where is it?
Downtown Center Harbor. Next to the Red Hill Irving Gas Station.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
RI Swamp Yankee (08-31-2009)
Old 08-29-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
Pineedles

Default Lobster Roll

I visited them last week and had the Lobster Roll with fries. A generous portion of both makes me glad that I live (summer time) within walking distance of a true icon of Center Harbor, or is it actually Moultonborough, right on the line I guess. They've been there as long as I can remember. Does anyone know about the beginnings of this establishment?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
phoenix

we went today and both had lobster rolls and were great on a rainy day
Old 08-30-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
Janet

Try the clams - they are the best!
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
SamIAm has a great place in the Dari - Mickey runs it wonderfully, our kids have a nice, safe, clean place to work (thanks!!), and it's the best lobster roll around. The food is excellent there, always. You can't ask for more of a business or an employer (of your kid).

If you saw a very short, curly-headed dirty blonde with a big smile at the window, she belongs to me. The Dari keeps her in gas money all summer. And lets me keep my money all summer
Awhile back in another thread I asked if Samian owned the Rd Hill and someone commented that he owned the VK, which I knew. This has he confused, does he also own Red Hill?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
twoplustwo

Default Samiam

Quote:
Awhile back in another thread I asked if Samian owned the Rd Hill and someone commented that he owned the VK, which I knew. This has he confused, does he also own Red Hill?
Yup. He's a one man dynasty
Old 08-30-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post

Yup. He's a one man dynasty

Wonder if he's looking to adopt a kid!
Old 08-30-2009, 01:02 PM   #11
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
On top of the VK and Red Hill I am not sure but I think he still owns the Coe House and is leasing it out?
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:45 PM   #12
RI Swamp Yankee

I have passed it many times and wondered it it was a good place to stop. Now I know, thanks.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #13
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default A little history of RH Dari

If memory serves me correctly, the "Maid" was owned/operated by one Paul Champaign (or Champlain) and his wife (late 60's/70s), Dick Tower also owned it (in addition to Longwood Farms - currently Canoe - and the Woodshed). Not sure of exact order (Paul first or Dick first). Other readers may recall. My brother worked at both Longwood Farms and the Woodshed (as bartender) in his day, and spent one winter (year between college and graduate school) renting a room at Martha Oliver's house on Sheridan Road. Needless to say, Martha was an amazing cook/baker, and my brother gained a few pounds that year. I recall reading on this forum that SAMIAM still uses some of Martha's dessert recipes.

Old friends and next door neighbors at the lake (John and Mary Jane Ives), whom we also knew from Connecticut, actually LIVED in the "Maid" several winters, and I remember visiting them with my husband in the dead of winter in probably 1973, and having drinks with them at the "Maid".

I worked at the Old Country Store for many summers (working my way up from penny candy to the cheese counter and finally the clothing floor). Dick Tower also ran the little Coffee Shop at Old Country Store (no longer there; the former space is now packed with merchandise) Never worked at the "Maid" (Red Hill Dari), but did work one summer at Ken Smith's "Country Fare Inn." I was not a very good waitress. Sweet memories of working at lake during the summers in high school and college. Forgive my ramblings!
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redwing For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (09-02-2009), Winnigirl (09-02-2009)
Old 09-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #14
RI Swamp Yankee

Due to a discussion in another thread I "Googled" Red Hill Dari and found this picture:

Now I know what I have been missing.

added: The picture was part of a review here:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/red-hill-dari-moultonborough
Old 09-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #15
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Redwing, I just saw your post on the Red Hill dari.......gotta hand it to you....you have a great memory. When Dick Tower opened the Woodshed, it was so hugely successful that he sold Longwood Farms to me in 1972 and the Dari maid to Paul Champagne so he could give his full attention to the Woodshed. I eventually ended up with the Dari maid, so I feel like I'm following Dick around
I knew the Ives,also.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #16
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Maybe you'll own the woodshed next, Samiam????!!!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #17
NHKathy

Default Yum!

Went to RedHill Dairy on Labor Day, my mother-in-law and I had the Lobster Rolls and My hubby and father-in-law had the whole belly clam rolls - can you say YUM?! They were so delicious!
Never thought of ordering food there before until I came across this thread - only went there for ice cream. Gotta love this forum!
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #18
garysanfran

Default French fries...

Perhaps the best I've had.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #19
Newbiesaukee

We go to the VK at least once a week, but I had never been to the Dari Barn.
Last week we had guests and took them to Red Hill Dari for lobster rolls which were terrific and the fries were the best I have had. Who knew....apparently lots of people just not me.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #20
EricP

Went there last week for the first time. I had a fishermans platter and my wife had the lobster roll. Both meals were very good, we'll go back.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:25 AM   #21
Cristen

I stopped at Red Hill Dari in August for the first time. Had a lobster roll for lunch and it was delicious! The outdoor seating area they have is very nice and CLEAN (which is very important to me....a little OCD).

Overall, I think it's a great little spot to grab a bite to eat in the Center Harbor area.

Last edited by Cristen; 09-14-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:41 PM   #22
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen View Post
I stopped in Red Hill Dari in August for the first time. Had a lobster roll for lunch and it was delicious! The outdoor seating area they have is very nice and CLEAN (which is very important to me....a little OCD).

Overall, I think it's a great little spot to grab a bite to eat in the Center Harbor area.
...a little OCD?? I know better than that!
Old 09-14-2009, 07:17 AM   #23
Cristen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
...a little OCD?? I know better than that!
OK OK....a real lot!! LOL
Old 09-15-2009, 11:38 AM   #24
dpg

Red Hill closes up too early for the season...
Old 09-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #25
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Red Hill closes up too early for the season...
When, exactly, do they close?
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #26
twoplustwo

Default samiam might need to correct me...

...I believe at this point they are open Thursday through Sunday, and they close for good every year after Columbus Day weekend. I'm always sad then
Old 09-16-2009, 10:54 AM   #27
dpg

Not positive but I believe I've looked for them open during the fair weekend and they were not. I could be wrong, I usually am.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #28
twoplustwo

Default if I remember correctly...

...my daughter was serving up lobster rolls and ice cream last Columbus Day at the Dari.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #29
Turtle Boy

We went there by boat this summer and had a great lunch...the annual fried food splurge. Clean, friendly, great food...we'll probably make this one an annual affair. It's also nice to walk around town before lunch.
We had one minor concern...it was a very hot day and we noticed the tarter sauce was sitting outside in a big container. Warm ketchup is no danger but potentially warm milk based foods can be a problem. I imagine they are able to swap out the tarter sauce and keep it cool but we would have been happier had we received a little paper container from the frig. We didn't ask or say anything because we were very satisfied anyway and just went a bit heavier on the ketchup instead. And while I havn't reveiwed all the posts of Red Hill, there seem to have been no problems. We gave them an A. We also shared our food with the sparrows, which is probably not great (teaching birds to beg and its consequences) but sometimes hard to resist. One of the best days of the summer 2009 season.
Turtle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #30
SAMIAM

You have a good eye,Turtle Boy and you're right.Tartar sauce should always be kept cool.We have a special insulated cold pack dispenser for that,with a spare liner so that it can be changed frequently.Probably was being washed when you came by.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:17 AM   #31
Turtle Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
You have a good eye,Turtle Boy and you're right.Tartar sauce should always be kept cool.We have a special insulated cold pack dispenser for that,with a spare liner so that it can be changed frequently.Probably was being washed when you came by.
We had such a great day at your place...can't wait to come back...see you next year. And sorry about the sparrows...couldn't resist.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #32
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Boy View Post
We had such a great day at your place...can't wait to come back...see you next year. And sorry about the sparrows...couldn't resist.
Sometimes the little buggers fly right down into the trash cans for a snack........you go to throw something in and they fly out of there and startle you.........we don't care,though.Who doesn't like birds?
Old 09-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #33
Seeker

Quote:
My wife and I went today around 3:45 for our first time. We were heading over to check out the steamboats and do a little shooting and decided to give it a try. She had a lobster roll which she thought was very good but not great - said the lobster seemed a bit watery, possibly previously frozen. Absolutely nothing wrong with that if it's done right. As a commercial lobsterman I used to freeze a lot of meat for the winter in brine and after it was served I don't believe anyone could tell the difference. I had a pt of clams and a small onion rings. Clams were some of the best I've had in this area but not equal to Farnums or the Clam Box. Small onion rings were more than the 2 of us could finish and excellent. Fries were as good as any I have ever had anywhere. Certainly cannot complain about the portion size or the very reasonable prices.

We will definitely be back but have to try VK first.

BTW The tartar sauce was outside and I took a small squirt in one of the cups and it was not cold or cool so I passed.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:02 AM   #34
wifi

Default Was that you Seeker?

I was there about the same time, had a delicious Lobster Roll for take out with nice lite (not soggy) fries
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:18 AM   #35
VitaBene

Default Opening 2010?

Samiam, I see that the sign has changed to opening soon- any insider info on the date?
Old 04-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #36
SAMIAM

Thanks for asking VB.....looks like this coming weekend...weather permitting. We were hoping to get open earlier, but couldn't spare Mickey from the VK due to losing Zack.....tough shoes to fill but we're getting there.
Starting to get some beautifull small clams out of Canada....yum!
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
wifi (04-25-2010)
Old 04-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #37
VitaBene

Quote:
Thanks for asking VB.....looks like this coming weekend...weather permitting. We were hoping to get open earlier, but couldn't spare Mickey from the VK due to losing Zack.....tough shoes to fill but we're getting there.
Starting to get some beautifull small clams out of Canada....yum!
Thanks for the info! See you there soon
Old 04-27-2010, 01:27 PM   #38
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Thanks for asking VB.....looks like this coming weekend...weather permitting.
Looks like temps near 80 so get ready for great food at the RHD.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #39
twoplustwo

Default It's open, it's open!!!!

My recuperating-from-knee-surgery teenager and I are wolfing down lobster rolls, onion rings and fries as I type. The little one chowed on a cheeseburger. I don't care how cold it is out there, or the fact that it snowed 10 inches up in Littleton yesterday (of course her surgery was at Littleton Hospital!), summer is here when the Dari is open
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
Pepper (04-29-2010)
Old 04-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #40
DoTheMath

Great place - have stopped there many-a-time for lunch, or for a quick and "early dinner" on the way home from the weekend. You know that it's good with the VK connection, (best breakfast in New England btw!) and the fish sandwich is one of my fav. items on the menu - plus, you can't beat the price!
DoTheMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:32 AM   #41
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheMath View Post
Great place - have stopped there many-a-time for lunch, or for a quick and "early dinner" on the way home from the weekend. You know that it's good with the VK connection, (best breakfast in New England btw!) and the fish sandwich is one of my fav. items on the menu - plus, you can't beat the price!
Drove by Red Hill Dari tonight and it looked open to me.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:32 AM   #42
phoenix

We are up for a work weekend and stopped long enough to go to Red Hill for lobster rolls. They were great and still best for the money. Next time will get the clams
Old 05-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #43
kunamola

Default Fond memories are made at places like this

My sons fondly remember stopping for the biggest ice cream cones in the world! at the Red Hill Dairy when they were in elementary school and their grandfather took them to day camp at The Science Center in Holderness. On the way home he would buy them a large cone just for the joy of watching them eat it all. Grandfather is gone now but the boys, now young men, talk about him each time we pass by or stop at The Red Hill Dairy. Places like this make fond summer memories.
kunamola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kunamola For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Guy (05-02-2010)
Old 05-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #44
Cristen

Stopped in a couple of times for lunch this season. So happy it's open again!
Old 06-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #45
old coot
Deceased Member

Default Red Hill Dari

As my Father's Day treat, my youngest son took me to the Red Hill Dari. He knows I love their delicious whole belly fried clams. We also each had an order of french fries, the best I've ever had.
With the world's best clams and fries, you can't go wrong at the Red Hill Dari.
old coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #46
Turtle Boy

Stopped by yesterday...wife and I got two kiddie cone soft serve...nice to get a reasonable size cone at a reasonable price. Sometimes at other places you get TOO MUCH ice cream and you feel guilty not finishing it. We're always happy when we go to Red Hill Dairy.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:36 AM   #47
twoplustwo

Default us too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old coot View Post
As my Father's Day treat, my youngest son took me to the Red Hill Dari. He knows I love their delicious whole belly fried clams. We also each had an order of french fries, the best I've ever had.
With the world's best clams and fries, you can't go wrong at the Red Hill Dari.
That's where we took my husband for Father's Day, it was gluttonous and fabulous, as always
Old 06-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #48
sunset on the dock

Looking forward to our yearly Red Hill splurge.
sunset on the dock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:01 PM   #49
RI Swamp Yankee

Default My review

I went there on 8-11-10 and my only dissapointment is that I had never stopped before after having pased by many times over the years.

Soft Serve: While vacationing in North Conway my wife and I had soft serve at Dairy Queen several times so based on comments here we had to try the soft serve, we each had a "kiddie" size. I had a black and white and the vanilla was rich and the chocolate really tasted like chocolate. My wife had the black raspberry and it was great. Probably the best soft serve we have ever had, really like hard ice cream.

Lobster Roll: I just had to take a picture. (see below)

The fries looked undercooked but they were not. They were crisp and the best I have ever had. The bun was lightly toased, had a thin piece of lettuce to keep the lobster from falling through the bun and stuffed full of chunks of lobster lighly coated with mayonnaise. Perfect! The cole slaw was great too!

Fried Clams: We stopped again late afternoon and got a "Clam Boat" (smaller version of a Clam Plate) to take back to camp for supper. The clams were also great, tasty and not too much batter, but seemed more like clam strips with no bellies. I did enjoy them. Same great fries and slaw and a roll all well packaged "to go".

The only tables are outside but the umbrellas provided ample shade on a sunny day and it was pleasant sitteing there. I also have to compliment the two young ladies at the window, they were smiling, pleasant and not anoyed by stupid questions.
Attached Images

Last edited by RI Swamp Yankee; 08-16-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: spelling
RI Swamp Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #50
Irish mist

RI Swamp Yankee you have made me hungry That's a great picture. I've never been to Red Hill, but I'm going soon.

Last edited by Irish mist; 08-17-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #51
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks RI Swamp Yankee!

Thank you very much for providing such a great review RI Swamp Yankee and many more thanks for the picture to go with it!!! A picture is worth a thousand words.

Just like Irish Mist, I've never been to Red Hill Dari, but I'm going soon! That lobster roll and those fries look delectable!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #52
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
Thank you very much for providing such a great review RI Swamp Yankee and many more thanks for the picture to go with it!!! A picture is worth a thousand words.

Just like Irish Mist, I've never been to Red Hill Dari, but I'm going soon! That lobster roll and those fries look delectable!
Just in case any of you want to try Red Hill Dairy, IT IS PRACTICALLY ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE CENTER HARBOR FORUM FEST SITE THIS WEEKEND!!!!!
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lucky1 For This Useful Post:
Meredith lady (08-17-2010), SAMIAM (08-17-2010), VitaBene (08-17-2010)
Old 04-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #53
phoenix

coming up next weekend will Red Hill be open . Looking for the first lobster roll of the season
Old 04-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #54
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
coming up next weekend will Red Hill be open . Looking for the first lobster roll of the season
They were open today when I drove through Center Harbor and the sign read "100% Lobster Roll".
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #55
phoenix

that is great
Old 04-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #56
phoenix

anyone know when they will open this year
Old 04-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #57
Hermit Cover

Default Opening.....

Mother's Day weekend I hear!
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #58
AKADQ

Thumbs up Good Job !

Had an hour to spare before we had to pick up our youngest son in Center Harbor from a birthday party last night. Wanted a quick bite to eat and stopped into Red Hill Dairy, my wife and I shared the fisherman's platter. The crew at Red Hill did a great job as we got our food quickly with very little wait as people were coming and going. The food was excellent and cooked just right and the value was even better. Thanks Red Hill for dinner !

Last edited by AKADQ; 08-10-2014 at 08:48 AM. Reason: spelling error
AKADQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #59
phoenix

Thx siamiam for both red hill and village kitchen
Old 08-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #60
SAMIAM

And thank you for supporting us. Your support all summer allows us to stay open year round at the VK and get through the winter with no layoffs.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:24 AM   #61
phoenix

What are your hours in September Sam . Will you be open during the week or only weekends