Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2022, 08:04 AM   #101
sunset on the dock

Yes, having a Winni speed limit was popular then as it is now. If you listened to the testimony in Concord in February, 6 marinas on the lake have come out as being against HB 1424 and one marina owner even showed up to testify in person against the bill. Now Lake Winnipesaukee Association, NH Lakes Association and Lakes Region Conservation Trust have joined in opposition. Fast forward to last Tuesday and no surprise a bipartisan rejection, 15:3, to kill the bill.
sunset on the dock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 10:10 AM   #102
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
As I recall, wasn't the driver also the president of SBONH, Safe Boaters of New Hampshire which opposed a Lake Winnipesaukee speed limit. .... ..... and it got mega-tons and tons of attention in the NH media and NH news.
In 2010 it was Scott Verdonck (OCDACTIVE here on the forum). Not sure about previous to that. I think SBONH is no longer.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 11:12 AM   #103
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
As I recall, wasn't the driver also the president of SBONH, Safe Boaters of New Hampshire which opposed a Lake Winnipesaukee speed limit. .... ..... and it got mega-tons and tons of attention in the NH media and NH news.
She was the President of the NH Recreational Boaters Association (NHRBA).
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Boatbottom952 (03-07-2022), codeman671 (03-03-2022), fatlazyless (03-03-2022), upthesaukee (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 11:27 AM   #104
fatlazyless

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 was about two years prior to 2010 with regard to who was president of the Safe Boaters of New Hampshire on that infamous, rainy, foggy night of the Diamond Island crash.

Similarly, the NH Marine Trades Assoc. has a website or an organization(?) to promote wake boarding with a You Tube, "Wake Responsibility Wave Study" .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daa0...ature=youtu.be .... Sep 1, 2020 ....2:09 at their website or organization(?) that is named www.boatingnh.com

...... A-mazingly ..... this video link actually works ..... 3-cheers! .....
Old 03-03-2022, 01:13 PM   #105
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Tuesday, June 17, 2008 was about two years prior to 2010 with regard to who was president of the Safe Boaters of New Hampshire on that infamous, rainy, foggy night of the Diamond Island crash.

Similarly, the NH Marine Trades Assoc. has a website or an organization(?) to promote wake boarding with a You Tube, "Wake Responsibility Wave Study" .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daa0...ature=youtu.be .... Sep 1, 2020 ....2:09 at their website or organization(?) that is named www.boatingnh.com

...... A-mazingly ..... this video link actually works ..... 3-cheers! .....
There where two entities which fought against the speed limit...

Safe Boaters of New Hampshire (SBONH), who's preseident fought for the speed limit but was not the person involved in the Diamond Island Crash, and was on this forum as OCDActive..... SBONH tried to hold on, but lack of involvement from members caused it to die out.

Now the person who crashed into Diamond Island... was part of and I believe president of NH Recreational Boaters Association (NHRBA), which also died, because of the incident on Diamond island as well as loss of interest after the speed limit was enacted....
Old 03-03-2022, 01:38 PM   #106
znh

All of this just seems kind of silly and a huge waste of money and resources...of which how much is taxpayer money?

If I watch 100 boats cross the Broads on a Saturday afternoon, maybe 10% of them could even break the 45 MPH speed limit if they tried, in flat water, by themselves on their boat.

I have also seen most of the boats that can easily do 45+ go that fast and without any issues or real safety concerns. I was told by a Marine Patrol officer that they issue less then 10 speeding tickets a year on Winni.

So what is really the issue here? It's not income from the state writing speeding tickets, it's not really an issue of need as most boats can't and wouldn't go much faster. Just seems like a lot of time and energy and resources wasted for a such a non-issue. Just keep it as it is and move on...
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 06:30 PM   #107
phoenix

Glad it was defeated but like the moultonboro rec center it keeps coming back
tummyman (03-03-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 06:09 AM   #108
swnoel

How many boaters on the lake have actually been affected by this law? My guess is not many can or want to travel over 45MPH. My boat will do 40+/- mph at WOT and is a a very unpleasant ride. Course bass boats and cigarette style hull boats are designed for those high speed rides, but I'd guess they can't be very pleasurable either.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 07:04 AM   #109
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

There are a lot of boats on Winnipesaukee, and most jet skis, that will exceed the 45 MPH speed limit.

I don't think the speed limit is enforced much, if at all. It would come in to play in the reconstruction of serious accident. In many boats the engine computer leaves a trail so after an accident the engine RPM at the time of the accident could be used with reasonable accuracy to determine the boat speed.

I regularly see boats and jet skis exceeding the speed limit, without incident. The law was, and remains, a feel good law.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
DEJ (03-04-2022), Seaplane Pilot (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 07:43 AM   #110
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
There are a lot of boats on Winnipesaukee, and most jet skis, that will exceed the 45 MPH speed limit.

I regularly see boats and jet skis exceeding the speed limit, without incident. The law was, and remains, a feel good law.
For kayaks and stand-up paddle boards, the speed limit definitely makes the paddler FEEL GOOD!

For something like $300-400 at Wally World you can take yourself way out there on the big lake with a kayak/sup paddle, pfd & whistle and be good to hit the wide open water spaces out there.

Kayaks and sups tend to be somewhat invisible to motor boats and will show up way out beyond the spar markers in the motorboat channels so the speed limit makes the lake a safer place to go paddle the Lake Winnipesaukee big waters.

Motorboats certainly seem to have a lot of needs ..... a motorboat need registration, NH boater certificate, gasoline, insurance, and rocky water at least 5' deep while a kayak/sup only needs a paddle and .... a BIG SMILE!
Old 03-04-2022, 08:12 AM   #111
swnoel

Quote:

I don't think the speed limit is enforced much, if at all. It would come in to play in the reconstruction of serious accident. In many boats the engine computer leaves a trail so after an accident the engine RPM at the time of the accident could be used with reasonable accuracy to determine the boat speed.

How do you know how fast they're actually going?
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:16 AM   #112
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
How do you know how fast they're actually going?
I am a trained observer. I also have a radar gun. I didn't state that I knew how fast they were going, only that they had exceeded the 45 MPH limit.

I have a pontoon boat and a V hull boat, both of which have GPS speedometers (and both capable of speeds in excess of 45 MPH).

I have been out in my boats, of course only doing 45, and been passed by boats going faster.

Any questions?
Old 03-04-2022, 09:01 AM   #113
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by znh View Post

I have also seen most of the boats that can easily do 45+ go that fast and without any issues or real safety concerns. I was told by a Marine Patrol officer that they issue less then 10 speeding tickets a year on Winni.

So what is really the issue here?
I suspect no speeding tickets have been issued on my residential street for the entire year. And I suspect no tickets have been issued regarding dogs pooping in the park down the street. That does not mean that we should make these activities legal.
The Following User Says Thank You to sunset on the dock For This Useful Post:
mswlogo (03-05-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 10:23 AM   #114
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
I suspect no speeding tickets have been issued on my residential street for the entire year. And I suspect no tickets have been issued regarding dogs pooping in the park down the street. That does not mean that we should make these activities legal.
That is a false equivalency.... Rules/Laws on the road have nothing to do with rules on the water. The reasons for both are vastly different.

The DAYTIME speed limit on the lake has had ZERO effect on lake safety. There were no high speed (>45MPH) accidents before the speed limit... there have been no high speed (>45MPH) accidents since the passage of the speed limit. During the day a boaters visibility is measured in miles, not yards or feet.

Almost every accident on this lake has occurred at NIGHT and involved alcohol. There have been other mitigating factors as well, reduced visibility, operator error, etc etc.

The speed limit is a feel good law that luckily is rarely enforced. I would prefer the MP deal with the boneheads who do not know the ROW rules and the NWZ rules. Usually the 150' rule doesn't get me riled unless they are danger close (<40')

Woodsy
lakewinnie (03-05-2022), TiltonBB (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 10:36 AM   #115
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Who do you post as usually?
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 10:46 AM   #116
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
That is a false equivalency.... Rules/Laws on the road have nothing to do with rules on the water. The reasons for both are vastly different.

The DAYTIME speed limit on the lake has had ZERO effect on lake safety. There were no high speed (>45MPH) accidents before the speed limit... there have been no high speed (>45MPH) accidents since the passage of the speed limit. During the day a boaters visibility is measured in miles, not yards or feet.

Almost every accident on this lake has occurred at NIGHT and involved alcohol. There have been other mitigating factors as well, reduced visibility, operator error, etc etc.

The speed limit is a feel good law that luckily is rarely enforced. I would prefer the MP deal with the boneheads who do not know the ROW rules and the NWZ rules. Usually the 150' rule doesn't get me riled unless they are danger close (<40')

Woodsy
Well your take on this seems to be somewhat at odds with the 83% of the Transportation Committee who voted to kill the bill this week, bipartisan no less. And the 80% of reps who supported the SL 11 years ago. And the greater than 80% of reps from towns bordering the lake that supported the SL 11 years ago.
Old 03-04-2022, 10:47 AM   #117
fatlazyless

"The speed limit is a feel good law that luckily is rarely enforced." ... Woodsy[/QUOTE]

Hey Woodsy, you used to have a Donzi ...... do you still have it and use it?

Was it a Donzi Sweet-16 or a Donzi much larger and what's it got for an engine?
Old 03-04-2022, 10:54 AM   #118
Woodsy

Quote:
"The speed limit is a feel good law that luckily is rarely enforced."

Hey Woodsy, you used to have a Donzi ...... do you still have it and use it?

Was it a Donzi Sweet-16 or a Donzi much larger and what's it got for an engine?
Why does that matter? I make no secret of who I am or what boat(s) I possess.

Woodsy
Old 03-04-2022, 11:09 AM   #119
Woodsy

Quote:
Well your take on this seems to be somewhat at odds with the 83% of the Transportation Committee who voted to kill the bill this week, bipartisan no less. And the 80% of reps who supported the SL 11 years ago. And the greater than 80% of reps from towns bordering the lake that supported the SL 11 years ago.
Sunset...

It's safe to say that most of the transportation committee has nothing to do with representing Lake Winnipesaukee. Only 2 lakes region towns are represented, but and only 1 representative ron the committee is from a town bordering the lake.

Nor does it change any of the facts I posted above.... ZERO accidents at a speed >45MPH.

Personally I don't really care or worry about speed when I am on the water. Its a rare day when I cruise faster than 45MPH, even though my boat is capable of 1.5X that speed.

Woodsy

Last edited by Woodsy; 03-04-2022 at 12:11 PM. Reason: 1 Rep from lakside town
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 11:43 AM   #120
sunset on the dock

Sorry Woodsy...Karel Crawford is from Moultonboro and voted to kill the bill. Not that that matters...people from all parts of the state boat on Winnipesaukee and like you have their own opinions. And as said, 11 years ago greater than 80% of reps from towns bordering the lake supported the speed limit.

And I was pleased to learn that the Lake Winnipesaukee Association and Lakes Region Conservation Trust have formally opposed the bill. And the NH Lakes Association. And the Lake Winni Sailing Assoc. And the NH Lakes Advisory Board. And 6 Winni marinas, one of whose owners spoke at the Trans. Comm. hearing. Check out the testimony, it's quite easy, all videotaped and available online. It is quite compelling.
Old 03-04-2022, 12:13 PM   #121
DEJ

Woodsy wrote: Nor does it change any of the facts I posted above.... ZERO accidents at a speed >45MPH.
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 12:19 PM   #122
Woodsy

Quote:
Sorry Woodsy...Karel Crawford is from Moultonboro and voted to kill the bill. Not that that matters...people from all parts of the state boat on Winnipesaukee and like you have their own opinions. And as said, 11 years ago greater than 80% of reps from towns bordering the lake supported the speed limit.

And I was pleased to learn that the Lake Winnipesaukee Association and Lakes Region Conservation Trust have formally opposed the bill. And the NH Lakes Association. And the Lake Winni Sailing Assoc. And the NH Lakes Advisory Board. And 6 Winni marinas, one of whose owners spoke at the Trans. Comm. hearing. Check out the testimony, it's quite easy, all videotaped and available online. It is quite compelling.
I edited my post accordingly... thanks for pointing that out.

Like I said above I personally don't worry too much about the speed limit.

Speed limits on the roadways don't stop people from buying sports cars like a Porsche or a Corvette and driving them faster than allowed. I don't think a speed limit on the lake stops people from buying fast boats and driving them faster than allowed either.

Now if the economy tanks or hi-test gas gets ridiculous... then you might see the folks with those boats slow down a little.

Woodsy
Old 03-04-2022, 01:51 PM   #123
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
Woodsy wrote: Nor does it change any of the facts I posted above.... ZERO accidents at a speed >45MPH.
Zero? Really? You need to get your facts straight. Wonder how that swimmer did?

State of New Hampshire
DEPARTMENT OF SAFETY
Robert L. Quinn, Commissioner of Safety
Division of State Police
James H. Hayes Safety Building, 33 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH 03305

Colonel Nathan A. Noyes
Director

February 3, 2022

The following accidents have been identified as being related to speeds potentially in excess of limits set by RSA 270-D:2 X:

July 7th 5:00 pm Operator of PWC (Personal Watercraft) fell into handle bars 45 mph
July 20th 8:00am Operator struck underwater object and boat sunk 45 mph

August 23rd 8:17am Powerboat struck swimmer 65+mph

September 2nd 2:56pm PWC fall over board 50 mph

Sincerely,

Timothy C. Dunleavy
Marine Patrol Captain
Old 03-04-2022, 02:00 PM   #124
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post

State of New Hampshire
DEPARTMENT OF SAFETY
Division of State Police

Colonel Nathan A. Noyes
Director

February 3, 2022

The following accidents have been identified as being related to speeds potentially in excess of limits set by RSA 270-D:2 X:

July 7th 5:00 pm Operator of PWC (Personal Watercraft) fell into handle bars 45 mph

Sincerely,

Timothy C. Dunleavy
Marine Patrol Captain
May not be zero, but 3 incidents in 7 seasons and extremely minimal for the amount of boats on the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 02:23 PM   #125
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
May not be zero, but 3 incidents in 7 seasons and extremely minimal for the amount of boats on the lake.

I only saw 2 that fell into the "against that rules".

Thank you Woodsy for saying what you have been saying. At the time of the original bill, I know MP stated less than 1% of all boating accidents in NH had anything to do with speed.
And falling off a jet ski is just stupidity and bad driving most of the time. Yes, randomly a rouge wave, but most of the time the accidents I hear from jetskis are they jumped the wave and hit their head or another boat.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 02:25 PM   #126
sunset on the dock

Quote:

Again, as alluded to previously, just because there were no accidents on my street in the last 7 years does not mean I will advocate to have no speed limits on my street.
Old 03-04-2022, 02:59 PM   #127
TiltonBB

Quote:
Again, as alluded to previously, just because there were no accidents on my street in the last 7 years does not mean I will advocate to have no speed limits on my street.
Let's use your logic: There were probably no dog bites on your street either but shouldn't we outlaw dogs on your street just to eliminate that possibility.

It looks like only two incidents that would have fallen outside the speed limit in 9 years. That statistic, on a lake with thousands of boats, actually illustrates the opposite of what you are trying to say.

It solidifies that fact that speed is not, and has not been, a problem. It remains a "feel good" law.

Anyone who thinks that two incidents in 9 years represents a problem is kidding themselves.
Blyblvrd (03-05-2022), lakewinnie (03-05-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 03:16 PM   #128
DEJ

I always go with the experts when it comes to safety on the lake, in this case the experts are Marine Patrol, they were not in favor of this law.
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
Blyblvrd (03-05-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 04:20 PM   #129
sunset on the dock

Actually the MP did not come out as in favor or not. Ditto Marine Trades Assoc. But the NH Lakes Management Advisory Committee did come out as against the bill. It is a 19 member NH governmental agency, not simply a single head of the MP with his own agenda. And I also consider the NH Lakes Assoc. and Lake Winni Assoc. as knowledgeable stewards of the lake. And six marina owners know what helps and hurts the local economy.

But here is the really interesting part. Two of the bill's co-sponsors, Littlefield (R)( Laconia) and Dennis Thompson withdrew their support citing their objections to this reckless bill. I'm told that when a sponsor, in this case two, withdraws their support for a bill then said bill is pretty much dead on arrival. We saw a harbinger of that when the committee voted 15:3 to ITL.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:20 PM   #130
chachee52

Quote:
Going around in circles. Again, forget about the last 7 years. When there was no speed limit on the lake, speed was not a factor in over 99% of all accidents.
Again taking the speed limit off or keeping it in place has no affect on how I boat. My boat doesn't go about 45 anyway. But when laws make no sense statistically, like it did when it was first put into affect, than its a "feel good law" as others have stated.
The Following User Says Thank You to chachee52 For This Useful Post:
DEJ (03-05-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 07:20 PM   #131
John Mercier

RBOB jumped 23 cents today.
But we haven't really seen the local economy make the change as of yet.
John Mercier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 06:55 AM   #132
joey2665

Quote:
Just because there are 3 accidents on 93 doesn’t mean we need to drop the speed limit down to 45 either.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
DEJ (03-05-2022), Seaplane Pilot (03-05-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 07:06 AM   #133
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Just because there are 3 accidents on 93 doesn’t mean we need to drop the speed limit down to 45 either.

And just because there are only 3 accidents on 93 doesn't mean we remove all speed limits from said highway.

And getting back to the 2 reps who withdrew co-sponsorship and the 6 marinas who oppose the bill, to quote James Carville, "it's the economy stupid".
Safety is just one of many reasons to preserve the speed limit on the lake.

Last edited by sunset on the dock; 03-05-2022 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:32 AM   #134
Seaplane Pilot

I have contacted my state rep encouraging them to introduce a bill requiring safety flags on all kayaks. That’s a REAL safety issue, unlike the useless speed limit law.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Boatbottom952 (03-11-2022), DEJ (03-05-2022), TiltonBB (03-05-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 08:33 AM   #135
fatlazyless

Their kayak two-bladed paddle seems to get noticed, first, by a motorboat as it approaches and alters its course. Painting the blades high gloss white works good what with the paddle movement to be seen from something like 1/2-mile away, across the water.

A flag doesn't work as well as a moving twin blade paddle because the flag is stationary, unlike the paddle, and a flag just blends into the background when seen from a distance.

So, kayaks already have an identifier as seen by an approaching motorboat with the twin-bladed, moving paddle and the color bright white is a lot better than a dark color to get seen by the driver in an approaching motorboat.
Old 03-05-2022, 08:52 AM   #136
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Hey, we agree on something! A boating outing doesn't go by without a kayaker or canoeist in the middle of a busy passage being a safety hazard.

Note that I didn't say "nuisance" because everyone has access to the lake, but there's a courtesy that comes from thinking safety.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 10:34 AM   #137
joey2665

Quote:
And just because there are only 3 accidents on 93 doesn't mean we remove all speed limits from said highway.

And getting back to the 2 reps who withdrew co-sponsorship and the 6 marinas who oppose the bill, to quote Larry Carville, "it's the economy stupid".
Safety is just one of many reasons to preserve the speed limit on the lake.
Here is were you are incorrect. Nationwide due to the low accident rates speed limits were increased in many areas to 65 and 75.

So maybe the speed limit shouldn't be removed but at least increased in the daytime. Oh wait, a compromise, how original these days
Old 03-05-2022, 10:58 AM   #138
thinkxingu

If I'm not mistaken, speed limits were more about fuel conservation, right?

Old 03-05-2022, 11:25 AM   #139
LoveLakeLife

James Carville, not Larry.

LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 11:35 AM   #140
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
James Carville, not Larry.

Sorry, will correct. We have an acquaintance named Larry Carville. And I have also been corrected on another point. Three, not two co-sponsors of HB 1424 are no longer supporting the bill. John Potucek has joined Reps. Littlefield and Thompson. All three are Republicans. I know some on this forum will disagree but I would respectfully argue that when half of a bill's co-sponsors defect it seems to me that people are coming to the realization that this bill is irresponsible, reckless, and wildly unpopular.

Last edited by sunset on the dock; 03-05-2022 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-05-2022, 12:48 PM   #141
lakewinnie

Quote:

State of New Hampshire
DEPARTMENT OF SAFETY
Division of State Police

Colonel Nathan A. Noyes
Director

February 3, 2022

Sincerely,

Timothy C. Dunleavy
Marine Patrol Captain
"related to speeds potentially in excess of limits..."

I would need to know more about these three accidents to conclude that they were due to boats going over 45 mph day/30 mph night. Are these basically all of the fatal accidents where the boat/PWC was going over the speed limit? If so, thus the qualifier "potentially".

Everyone here knows that a boat going slower than the speed limit can kill a swimmer.

I don't find these statistics compelling one way of the other, without knowing more about these accidents.
lakewinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lakewinnie For This Useful Post:
DEJ (03-05-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 01:44 PM   #142
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
If I'm not mistaken, speed limits were more about fuel conservation, right?

For the highway... yes.

The US has always had a problem that some refuse to accept.
Even during our highest domestic crude oil production... we produced roughly 13/mbd and used 21/mbd.
Old 03-05-2022, 04:17 PM   #143
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
I have contacted my state rep encouraging them to introduce a bill requiring safety flags on all kayaks. That’s a REAL safety issue, unlike the useless speed limit law.
When we were going through the speed limit stuff ~2009 a couple of reps on the RR & D committee took all the safety issues that people complained about that had nothing to do with speed, and put them into a separate bill. Flags for kayaks, canoes, whistles, etc. Amazingly, people like the Camp Directors Association fought this stuff because while they were trying to teach safe boating, they were concerned that if you gave a kid a whistle, he would blow it. There's a real eye roller.
Historically speed limit bills go to the Transportation Committee and prior to 2008 there had been ~18 bills that had failed. Speed limit advocates did two things. They found a committee chair on their side who convinced the Speaker to assign the bill to his committee, not Transportation, but RR & D. Second, instead of using lobbyists, they ran a series of public surveys that showed that statewide, 62%(?) of the population thought speed limits would improve safety. Then they went around to newspaper editorial boards and convinced them to print editorials in favor of speed limits (SAFETY). Any Rep or Senator who had no personal boating experience was hard pressed to "vote against safety." It was a good strategy and it worked, even though there were no statistics demonstrating a link between speed and accidents. (On the highway, there is some evidence that weaving around and tailgating cause accidents, but speed is easier to enforce, so speed limits and radar guns get the nod.)
My recollection is that there were a handful of GFBL boats with obnoxious operators that really pushed the desire to get rid of them and speed won even though many people didn't like the noise. Noise bills were successfully passed, but the speed people apparently didn't want anything to dilute their successful message. In any event, most of the noise is gone along with the high speeds. Or, maybe the high speeds are still there, but since they're quiet, nobody notices enough to call in a complaint? Time to focus on wake boats and loud stereo as the new enemy.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-06-2022), DEJ (03-05-2022), Seaplane Pilot (03-05-2022), TiltonBB (03-05-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 07:00 PM   #144
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
My recollection is that there were a handful of GFBL boats with obnoxious operators that really pushed the desire to get rid of them and speed won even though many people didn't like the noise. Noise bills were successfully passed, but the speed people apparently didn't want anything to dilute their successful message. In any event, most of the noise is gone along with the high speeds. Or, maybe the high speeds are still there, but since they're quiet, nobody notices enough to call in a complaint? Time to focus on wake boats and loud stereo as the new enemy.
Exactly--it is the obnoxious operators that lead to clampdowns on all--GFBL guys, circling wake boats, jet skis weaving through bowriders and toons....We might debate and nitpick safety, but it's these things that spike stress levels for others and lead to hundreds of emails
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:07 PM   #145
Boatbottom952
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post

Woodsy
Not sure people will understand you Woodsy, Way Way to much Common Sense in that statement. IQ does not equal Common sense. Money doesn't equal Common Sense. It's either YOU have it or you Don't.
Boatbottom952 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boatbottom952 For This Useful Post:
camp guy (03-16-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 07:12 PM   #146
Boatbottom952
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Who do you post as usually?
Remember " Rusty "
Old 03-07-2022, 07:45 PM   #147
LikeLakes

Quote:
Sunset, I get what you are trying to say. I just don't see the equivalency. I'm guessing you mean you are on a side street, probably 25 or 30 mph limit? Let me know if I'm wrong. I agree, and I bet every person here would agree, that speed limit is appropriate and necessary for a neighborhood street.

I believe the 45 mph speed limit in large open water areas is neither needed nor effective. Just my opinion, of course. Would I consider an 80 mph limit appropriate? I don't know, but I'd have to think about it.

Now back to your street. If they implemented a 10 mph limit, would it be appropriate? Would you then perhaps advocate that yes there should be a limit, but 25 or 30 is the correct number?

Not really trying to argue with you, I really do respect the "limit is appropriate" side of the discussion. But I think part of the discord is how 45 mph is viewed by boaters like me, I'm an owner of a 60 plus mph boat and feel the limit is neither needed nor effective.
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:59 PM   #148
John Mercier

The bill was not specified to large open water.
Maybe it will get amended. Maybe they will need to wait until the next session.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:53 AM   #149
fatlazyless

Stand-up paddle boards are required to have a pfd onboard and a whistle while kayaks are required to have a pfd but not a whistle. Has something to do with the Coast Guard decision that a stand-up paddle board is a vessel .... toot-toot ... ???

And, actually wearing the pfd is not required in NH if age-16 or older, or something??? Common sense tells you to wear a pfd with a good loud whistle or maybe an air horn! Air horns come small enough to fit in a pocket on a pfd or be worn around the neck on a lanyard.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:24 AM   #150
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLakes View Post
Sunset, I get what you are trying to say. I just don't see the equivalency. I'm guessing you mean you are on a side street, probably 25 or 30 mph limit? Let me know if I'm wrong. I agree, and I bet every person here would agree, that speed limit is appropriate and necessary for a neighborhood street.

I believe the 45 mph speed limit in large open water areas is neither needed nor effective. Just my opinion, of course. Would I consider an 80 mph limit appropriate? I don't know, but I'd have to think about it.

Now back to your street. If they implemented a 10 mph limit, would it be appropriate? Would you then perhaps advocate that yes there should be a limit, but 25 or 30 is the correct number?

Not really trying to argue with you, I really do respect the "limit is appropriate" side of the discussion. But I think part of the discord is how 45 mph is viewed by boaters like me, I'm an owner of a 60 plus mph boat and feel the limit is neither needed nor effective.
30 MPH is an appropriate speed limit for my street. And 45 MPH is what the public feels is an appropriate speed on the lake. How do I justify my argument? The public has weighed in:

As noted in my previous posts:

1) 80% of the house voted in 2011 that 45 MPH was appropriate with greater than 80% of reps from towns bordering the lake.

2) The Transportation Committee with a 15:3 vote last week concurs.

3) Business agree that 45 MPH is an appropriate speed. Over 300 businesses supported the implementation of our 45/30 law a decade ago. This included marinas and this time around 6 of them are opposing HB 1424. They know what is good for their bottom line. One marina owner testified as such at the recent hearing in Concord.
I walk to the town docks in Meredith during the summer and boats are lined up waiting for an open dock space.

4) Influential organizations/stewards of the lake feel 45 MPH is an appropriate speed.

Lakes Region Conservation Trust
Lake Winnipesaukee Association
NH Lakes Management Advisory Committee
NH Lakes Association
Loon Preservation Committee
Wolfeboro Waters
NH Camps Directors Association
Lake Winnipesaukee Sailing Association
Camps Brookwoods, Deer Run, Kabeyun, Belknap, and Sandy Island Camp

I get it. You have a boat that goes 60 MPH. Rep. Bordes has a boat that will go 58 MPH. Rep. Bordes stated in the LDS article last fall that NY, the state from which he hailed, has no speed limits on lakes...wrong, Lake George for example has a SL of 45 MPH. He states that owners of $250K-$350K boats are some of the safest/responsible boaters around. Many would take issue with that given the Littlefield accident, the fatal accident occurring off Diamond island, or online bragging by an anti speed limit advocate regarding alcohol consumption. These are not hallmarks of responsible behavior.

People do not want another open invitation to have ocean going speed boats return to the Broads racing back and forth. The whole tenor of the lake has changed with implementation of the common sense 45/30 MPH speed limit. People want to enjoy all parts of the lake. They do not wish to recreate on an aquatic racetrack anymore than you would want to have a picnic on the median strip of I-93. Again, points 1-4 above show that the public agrees.
The Following User Says Thank You to sunset on the dock For This Useful Post:
tummyman (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 09:47 AM   #151
LikeLakes

Well said and as I said above, I don't think you are wrong. My stance on the limit actually isn't because of my boat, I rarely go over 45 anyway and the few times I do it's on a weekday in calm water with virtually nobody in any proximity to me. I just wonder about the research behind it. But, if most people want it, I don't have a strong enough objection to do anything more than accept it as the law.
The Following User Says Thank You to LikeLakes For This Useful Post:
sunset on the dock (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 10:06 AM   #152
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Well said and as I said above, I don't think you are wrong. My stance on the limit actually isn't because of my boat, I rarely go over 45 anyway and the few times I do it's on a weekday in calm water with virtually nobody in any proximity to me. I just wonder about the research behind it. But, if most people want it, I don't have a strong enough objection to do anything more than accept it as the law.
And I appreciate your measured stance and open minded, even tempered approach. A good lesson for many who post on this forum. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2022, 01:27 PM   #153
TiltonBB

Quote:
Many would take issue with that given the Littlefield accident, the fatal accident occurring off Diamond island, or online bragging by an anti speed limit advocate regarding alcohol consumption. These are not hallmarks of responsible behavior.

People do not want another open invitation to have ocean going speed boats return to the Broads racing back and forth. The whole tenor of the lake has changed with implementation of the common sense 45/30 MPH speed limit. People want to enjoy all parts of the lake. They do not wish to recreate on an aquatic racetrack anymore than you would want to have a picnic on the median strip of I-93. Again, points 1-4 above show that the public agrees.
The accidents you cite had nothing to do with speed. The "feel good" speed law would not have prevented either accident.

"People do not want another open invitation to have ocean going speed boats return to the Broads racing back and forth."

That was never the case. I have been on the lake some part, or all, of every summer since 1970. Were there a few speed boats passing by now and again? Sure. Were there a significant number of speed related accidents? NO Two speed related incidents in 9 years is actually proof that speed is not, and has never been, a problem.

It is a feel good law for people who would like to see Winnipesaukee become Squam lake.

Almost every jet ski on the lake can exceed 45 MPH. Many can go over 60. Should we throw them off the lake too?

People should be a lot more concerned about the shoreline damage and noise cause by the wake boats. They are a bigger, growing, problem than a few speed boats ever were.
DEJ (03-08-2022), Seaplane Pilot (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 01:58 PM   #154
sunset on the dock

Quote:
The accidents you cite had nothing to do with speed. The "feel good" speed law would not have prevented either accident.

"People do not want another open invitation to have ocean going speed boats return to the Broads racing back and forth."

That was never the case. I have been on the lake some part, or all, of every summer since 1970. Were there a few speed boats passing by now and again? Sure. Were there a significant number of speed related accidents? NO Two speed related incidents in 9 years is actually proof that speed is not, and has never been, a problem.

It is a feel good law for people who would like to see Winnipesaukee become Squam lake.

Almost every jet ski on the lake can exceed 45 MPH. Many can go over 60. Should we throw them off the lake too?

People should be a lot more concerned about the shoreline damage and noise cause by the wake boats. They are a bigger, growing, problem than a few speed boats ever were.
Nor did I say, intimate, suggest, or otherwise allude that it was speed. If you read my post carefully, I make the point that many would disagree with Rep. Bordes' contention that the owners of $250-$350K boats are some of the most safe and responsible boaters. The Littlefield and Blizzard accidents (both alcohol related), and an anti speed limit advocate boasting of excess alcohol consumption do not scream "safe and responsible behavior".

As far as PWC's that can go 60 MPH...fine, they can also go 45 MPH too.

But as said in my earlier post, points 1-4, the public (and the legislature) support our commonsense 45/30 speed limit.

I too have been on the lake since the 1970's. And the positive change in the last 10 years with our 45/30 speed limit has been immense.
Old 03-08-2022, 03:02 PM   #155
thinkxingu

Quote:
And the positive change in the last 10 years with our 45/30 speed limit has been immense.
Can you elaborate? I'm not being snarky, I'm just interested in the changes you've seen.

I've only been boating Winni since '14, but it seems like these last few years have been the "worst," and every single issue is something other than speed: bad/incapable docking, boats too close at the wrong speed (swamping), people unaware of where they are, etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
LikeLakes (03-08-2022), Seaplane Pilot (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 04:11 PM   #156
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

These threads still get out of hand I see...

Having been on the lake since 85, I can say that I have scene the speed limit do very little.... Hell when the decibel limit was first enacted, it did more to change the atmosphere of the lake then the speed limit.

I will also say that I see plenty of watercraft exceed the speed limit when it is safe to do so... (Probably some even when it is not so safe to do so).... in the end I think the legislation is still a waste of ink and the paper it was written on...

It is a feel good law, very hard to enforce, and quite honestly there are more important things for the MP to be spending their limited man power on.

As someone else mentioned, a feel less comfortable on the lake then I did just a few years ago, mainly because of the next generation of boaters, who don't seem to get the basic laws of the water, let alone worrying about their speed.
DEJ (03-08-2022), TiltonBB (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 07:16 PM   #157
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Can you elaborate? I'm not being snarky, I'm just interested in the changes you've seen.

I've only been boating Winni since '14, but it seems like these last few years have been the "worst," and every single issue is something other than speed: bad/incapable docking, boats too close at the wrong speed (swamping), people unaware of where they are, etc.

The biggest thing that has changed in the 50 plus years I have been on Winnipesaukee is the lake is busier now than it was many years ago. With that increase, I have noticed an increase of people who struggle docking, are unaware of how to properly trim a boat while underway, and are oblivious to the boats around them.

Nothing changed with the inception of the "feel good" speed limit. The speed limit had zero effect on safety on the lake. The only thing the speed limit fanatics couldn't point out is evidence that speed is, or was ever, a problem. That is why it makes no sense, it just makes them feel good. If there was evidence that speed was problem I would be glad to revisit the issue.

I am out on the lake a lot. Between 7 years operating tours 60 to 90 hours per year, and using my own boats in addition to that, I average over 300 hours per year on Winnipesaukee. I am fortunate to own a home that looks out at a wide area of the lake so I can see a lot and I am well aware of what is going on.

It is too bad there aren't better opportunities for people to learn about boat safety and handling but I am not sure the people who need the help would take advantage of it.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:09 PM   #158
chachee52

Quote:
But as said in my earlier post, points 1-4, the public (and the legislature) support our commonsense 45/30 speed limit.

I too have been on the lake since the 1970's. And the positive change in the last 10 years with our 45/30 speed limit has been immense.
Will agree to disagree that the lake is safer in the last 10 years. Growing up on the lake and boating the entire time. The I will definitely say I pick and choose the times I go out during the summer now compared to 10-15 years ago when I used to feel safe going out anytime in my 14 ft and then 18 ft boats. Now have a 25 ft and feel I'm playing dodge boat from others. As people have mentioned, it has nothing to do with speed, just people oblivious of what's going on.

And the argument that a majority of legislators support the speed limit is like saying "if everyone jumps off a bridge it must mean its a good idea". That just means the Legislators just don't care or they are getting some kind of kick back by someone?

The argument that speed limit is safer I think is what people are arguing, Its not, and there is no evidence that it is. Do a majority of people support a speed limit because a) their boats don't go above 45 anyway and B) even if their boat does go that fast, 99% of the time they don't. I think that is more the supporters of it. It just doesn't matter to people if there is a speed limit of not on the lake because it doesn't matter.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:28 PM   #159
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
Will agree to disagree that the lake is safer in the last 10 years. Growing up on the lake and boating the entire time. The I will definitely say I pick and choose the times I go out during the summer now compared to 10-15 years ago when I used to feel safe going out anytime in my 14 ft and then 18 ft boats. Now have a 25 ft and feel I'm playing dodge boat from others. As people have mentioned, it has nothing to do with speed, just people oblivious of what's going on.

And the argument that a majority of legislators support the speed limit is like saying "if everyone jumps off a bridge it must mean its a good idea". That just means the Legislators just don't care or they are getting some kind of kick back by someone?

The argument that speed limit is safer I think is what people are arguing, Its not, and there is no evidence that it is. Do a majority of people support a speed limit because a) their boats don't go above 45 anyway and B) even if their boat does go that fast, 99% of the time they don't. I think that is more the supporters of it. It just doesn't matter to people if there is a speed limit of not on the lake because it doesn't matter.
Would you try once again please, this time in English.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:17 PM   #160
John Mercier

In English, non-issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
DEJ (03-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 06:16 AM   #161
fatlazyless

Attention, all you Lake Winnipesaukee WACK-A-DOOZIES:

Going 45-mph in a boat on Lake Winnipesaukee is VERY fast and going any faster is totally WACK-A-DOOZIE!

Driving Rt 93 at 100-mph and driving Lake Winnipesaukee at speeds above 45-mph is totally WACK-A-DOOZIE ........ (period). .....

For all the sail boaters, kayaks, sup's, canoes, rowboats, and normal motor boats ...... the go fast - be loud boaters are a WACK-A-DOOZIE safety issue.

So, don't be a WACK-A-DOOZIE and obey the 45-mph speed limit!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-09-2022 at 06:51 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 08:44 AM   #162
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Lake Winnipesaukee

My opinion and a number of seasoned boaters who have been on the lake for decades can and will agree that the lake is more dangerous as the years go by. Overcrowdenous and lack of common sense are worst! I'm glad I am able to enjoy the other Lakes Region lakes on the weekends while the 'pesaukee yahoos take over. Off-season Winnipesaukee is OK.

Now if we can enforce the current laws and make the safety course more stringent with a refresher course every few years, it will go a long way.

Adding more laws without enforcement does not work!
Old 03-09-2022, 09:04 AM   #163
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
My opinion and a number of seasoned boaters who have been on the lake for decades can and will agree that the lake is more dangerous as the years go by. Overcrowdenous and lack of common sense are worst! I'm glad I am able to enjoy the other Lakes Region lakes on the weekends while the 'pesaukee yahoos take over. Off-season Winnipesaukee is OK.

Now if we can enforce the current laws and make the safety course more stringent with a refresher course every few years, it will go a long way.

Adding more laws without enforcement does not work!
I agree. Looking at the crowds on the water today, the last thing I think should happen is to get rid of the speed limit. If it were up to me (and I know it isn't) I would add resources ($$$) to the marine patrol to enable them to better enforce existing laws, create a stricter education/license program, and greatly increase the registration/lake fees on boats larger than 25 feet to help fund things. Popular and realistic? No.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 11:27 AM   #164
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
I agree. Looking at the crowds on the water today, the last thing I think should happen is to get rid of the speed limit. If it were up to me (and I know it isn't) I would add resources ($$$) to the marine patrol to enable them to better enforce existing laws, create a stricter education/license program, and greatly increase the registration/lake fees on boats larger than 25 feet to help fund things. Popular and realistic? No.
You can increase funding to Marine Patrol by checking the box on your gas tax refund to go to the Navigation Safety Fund. It's a tax deductible donation. M Money aside, Marine Patrol always has staffing problems i.e. getting trained officers who can work 3-4 months a year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 12:14 AM   #165
Bear Islander

Quote:
Attention, all you Lake Winnipesaukee WACK-A-DOOZIES:

Going 45-mph in a boat on Lake Winnipesaukee is VERY fast and going any faster is totally WACK-A-DOOZIE!

Driving Rt 93 at 100-mph and driving Lake Winnipesaukee at speeds above 45-mph is totally WACK-A-DOOZIE ........ (period). .....

For all the sail boaters, kayaks, sup's, canoes, rowboats, and normal motor boats ...... the go fast - be loud boaters are a WACK-A-DOOZIE safety issue.

So, don't be a WACK-A-DOOZIE and obey the 45-mph speed limit!
I think the word is WACK-A-DOODLE. I'd look it up but my dictionary does not speak Jive.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:22 AM   #166
fatlazyless

While it's not a dictionary word, wack-a-doozie is all about how it sounds, especially when used with multi-syllable Lake Winnipesaukee.

Is a slang word..... wack-a ..... wack-a ..... wack-a .....out there on Lake Winnipesaukee ..... it's a wack-a-doozie type of a day! .....

Is Slang as Swell as It Used to Be? ........... Yas! ....... http://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/22/op...ell-slang.html

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-23-2022 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-10-2022, 11:51 AM   #167
LikeLakes

Quote:
It is too bad there aren't better opportunities for people to learn about boat safety and handling but I am not sure the people who need the help would take advantage of it.
Agree completely. Boat handling, knowing basic boating "rules of the road", are the real issues affecting safe boating on Winni. Some additional training would help.

Alcohol is a big factor but I view it differently. Passing too close to another boat, or cutting them off, or poor docking are a problem. Boating when drunk is criminal.

Speed simply isn't a safety factor IMO.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LikeLakes For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-10-2022), DEJ (03-10-2022), TiltonBB (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 12:45 PM   #168
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Agree completely. Boat handling, knowing basic boating "rules of the road", are the real issues affecting safe boating on Winni. Some additional training would help.

Alcohol is a big factor but I view it differently. Passing too close to another boat, or cutting them off, or poor docking are a problem. Boating when drunk is criminal.

Speed simply isn't a safety factor IMO.
Speed simply isn't a safety factor because the 45/30 limit is working. Hence the support by 6 marinas and the many organizations quoted earlier.

45 MPH + alcohol = very bad
75 MPH + alcohol = very bad X factor of 10
Old 03-10-2022, 01:18 PM   #169
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Speed simply isn't a safety factor because the 45/30 limit is working. Hence the support by 6 marinas and the many organizations quoted earlier.

Let me put it a different way: Speed wasn’t a safety issue before the completely useless speed limit became law. Speed is now not a factor after the completely useless speed limit has been law for many years.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Boatbottom952 (03-11-2022), BroadHopper (03-10-2022), DEJ (03-10-2022), TiltonBB (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 01:54 PM   #170
LikeLakes

Quote:

Going back to where I started, which is that I just don't think there is much if any science behind the number 45 .... By your premise shouldn't they make the speed limit 30 mph, since 30 MPH + alcohol = less bad?

As I said, I separate alcohol usage from this because it is criminal, irresponsible behavior. We don't reduce the speed limit on our highways because it would make it safer when drunk drivers are on the road.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LikeLakes For This Useful Post:
DEJ (03-10-2022), joey2665 (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 03:28 PM   #171
codeman671

Quote:
Can you cite an accident where this has been the actual case on Winnipesaukee? Both Littlefield and Blizzard's accidents were sub-45mph situations.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-10-2022), DEJ (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 04:07 PM   #172
sunset on the dock

Cool

Quote:
Going back to where I started, which is that I just don't think there is much if any science behind the number 45 .... By your premise shouldn't they make the speed limit 30 mph, since 30 MPH + alcohol = less bad?

As I said, I separate alcohol usage from this because it is criminal, irresponsible behavior. We don't reduce the speed limit on our highways because it would make it safer when drunk drivers are on the road.

And what is the science behind 70 MPH on the highway? Can you cite that? No we don't decrease the speed limit on our highways to make it safer when drunk drivers are on the road but neither do we increase or eliminate them like you want to on the lake.
As far as codeman's recent post, I think he missed the post about a swimmer being hit at 65+ MPH on Winni in 2015. And googling fatal high speed accidents on other lakes in other states might be a worthwhile endeavor for codeman.

But again...the present speed limit law, as said, is supported by 6 marinas, and 300 businesses when it was made permanent 11 years ago, and now several high profile lake organizations (LWA, NH Lakes Assoc., LRCT, LWSA, LPC, NHCDA). And 80% of the NH house in 2011. But of course every single one of these people and organizations must be terribly wrong/misguided ?!?

Last edited by sunset on the dock; 03-10-2022 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:30 PM   #173
granitebox

Quote:
And what is the science behind 70 MPH on the highway? Can you cite that? No we don't decrease the speed limit on our highways to make it safer when drunk drivers are on the road but neither do we increase or eliminate them like you want to on the lake.
As far as codeman's recent post, I think he missed the post about a swimmer being hit at 65+ MPH on Winni in 2015. And googling fatal high speed accidents on other lakes in other states might be a worthwhile endeavor for codeman.

But again...the present speed limit law, as said, is supported by 6 marinas, and 300 businesses when it was made permanent 11 years ago, and now several high profile lake organizations (LWA, NH Lakes Assoc., LRCT, LWSA, LPC, NHCDA). And 80% of the NH house in 2011. But of course every single one of these people and organizations must be terribly wrong/misguided ?!?
Speed limits have been increased in the United States and continue to be legislated - there are roads with speed limits of 85 mph in Texas. I'm not sure citing driving speed limits support lake speed limit argument.
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to granitebox For This Useful Post:
Seaplane Pilot (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 06:35 PM   #174
John Mercier

In a way, they do.
The appropriate use and regulation of common property is usually more consensus among the masses.

With 1.3 million plus residents, some of never on the lake, the debate fall to what value to us as shareholders?

The 55 mph speed limit was to convince us to conserve fuel for the benefit of everyone including ourselves. Technology changes and so the factors lead to a different set of conclusions, that once accepted by the masses change the perception of what is the correct regulation.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:23 PM   #175
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by granitebox View Post
Speed limits have been increased in the United States and continue to be legislated - there are roads with speed limits of 85 mph in Texas. I'm not sure citing driving speed limits support lake speed limit argument.
Texas square miles: 268. Lots of open roads.
NH Square miles: 9,349

Ocean square miles: 139 Million
Winnipesaukee square miles: 71

Texas and the ocean...let 'er rip.
NH and Winni...another story!
Old 03-10-2022, 09:42 PM   #176
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Let me put it a different way: Speed wasn’t a safety issue before the completely useless speed limit became law. Speed is now not a factor after the completely useless speed limit has been law for many years.
You are missing the point: With the implementation of the speed limit nothing has changed with regard to safety on the lake. The speed limit just makes some people feel good. It's all about their feelings.
Old 03-10-2022, 10:58 PM   #177
LakeDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
In a way, they do.
The appropriate use and regulation of common property is usually more consensus among the masses.

With 1.3 million plus residents, some of never on the lake, the debate fall to what value to us as shareholders?

The 55 mph speed limit was to convince us to conserve fuel for the benefit of everyone including ourselves. Technology changes and so the factors lead to a different set of conclusions, that once accepted by the masses change the perception of what is the correct regulation.

Anyone who drove 60-80s cars knows it could be hairy, even at 75-80 mph. Aerodynamics, braking, tires and stability were poor. Headlights were weak.

Today, even the most basic ****box can do a stable 100mph with 2 fingers on the wheel.
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:41 PM   #178
John Mercier

Correct.
But you still need to convince a majority - an probably not a near majority - that the change is acceptable.

There is no science - 45 mph, 42 mph, 48 mph - could have been any chosen number... the only science is psychology of the owners. Common property - 1.3 million plus owners.
Old 03-10-2022, 11:42 PM   #179
Boatbottom952
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
How many boaters on the lake have actually been affected by this law? My guess is not many can or want to travel over 45MPH. My boat will do 40+/- mph at WOT and is a a very unpleasant ride. Course bass boats and cigarette style hull boats are designed for those high speed rides, but I'd guess they can't be very pleasurable either.
In the morning, when it's just a small chop or Flat smooth, 73 mph is quite awesome. The only thing you need to avoid is salmon guys. Flip the coin/ after 11am, No way to go that fast in a bass boat. Sometimes you hit so hard your butt cheeks are coming out your ears and your spine is 1 inch shorter.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:36 AM   #180
The Real BigGuy

I have no problem with high speed boats. I’ve been in a friend’s Fountain 15 or so years ago doing in excess of 90. Second most exciting boat ride I have ever had. It isn’t speed that is the problem. The lake is much more crowded then it was years ago and pure probability would say there are more ass-hat operators on the lake then there were years ago.

If you could guarantee me that all people doing 75 + in the broads would have the common sense to slow down and operate safely around other boats in more congested areas I’d be all for upping the speed limit. Unfortunately, you can’t and a few of “me first” operators will ruin it for all. Witness all the “no wake”, “stand on”, & “150 ft” jugheads out there.

In summation, leave the damn speed limit where it is.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (03-12-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 11:42 AM   #181
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
You are missing the point: With the implementation of the speed limit nothing has changed with regard to safety on the lake. The speed limit just makes some people feel good. It's all about their feelings.
I think that's what I was trying to say. We're on the same side of this issue, Tilton. Get rid of this useless law, and focus time and resources on issues that will actually improve safety.
Old 03-11-2022, 12:31 PM   #182
LikeLakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeDad View Post
Anyone who drove 60-80s cars knows it could be hairy, even at 75-80 mph. Aerodynamics, braking, tires and stability were poor. Headlights were weak.

Today, even the most basic ****box can do a stable 100mph with 2 fingers on the wheel.
My '68 Olds F-85 that I drove in my early 20's would definitely have been offended by this post.
Old 03-12-2022, 10:58 AM   #183
AltonCAM

Quote:
My '68 Olds F-85 that I drove in my early 20's would definitely have been offended by this post.
Not as hairy as riding your mastodon 10,000 years ago at 75-80 mph.

AltonCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 09:04 AM   #184
sunset on the dock

Apparently another one of the co-sponsors has withdrawn his support for HB 1424 which means that 4 out of the original 6 co-sponsors no longer support this bill. This speaks volumes.
Old 03-15-2022, 05:13 AM   #185
sunset on the dock

In today's LDS:

Quote:
To The Daily Sun,

I am a professional mariner and hold the highest license issued by the U.S. Coast Guard, master. I have also attained master high speed vessel, master ocean fishing gross registered 5000 ton and master ocean towing 1600 ton. My entire adult life has been spent on the water as my career.

Over the past 30 years on Winnipesaukee, I have seen big changes, far more crowded, boaters that don’t know, understand or care about the rules, a lack of courtesy towards others, and a lack of empathy towards others sharing the same waterway.

As sad as it is to see what the lake is becoming, we did see some positive changes with the speed limit, some of the go-fast boats left, making room for families, pontoon boat sales have jumped, which have far less ecological impact on the lake than others. Many of those remaining decided that chancing running The Broads at 60 was better than being caught doing 90. Human nature dictates people will always go faster than posted, just like on our highways.

As a former operator of a commercial high-speed vessel in service to the U.S. Marine Corp., training, equipment and rules for high speed vessels are far different than what is required for operating ships at 20 knots. A three person watch must be in place, within reach of helm at all times, if the deck officer needs to get up, the engineer of the watch, or EOW, must be seated in the command chair. This is in open ocean at 40 knots, with the best equipment, not a lake, filled with small boat traffic, doing up to 100 mph. Boaters have no special training or equipment, just the money to go out and purchase 100 mph boats. Being on the lake is not “safer” than being on the roads. On the road we worry, about staying in our lane, and crossing traffic. On the lake that traffic can come from 360 degrees of approach. Boats have no “lookouts”, radar or ECDIS. Instead we have distractions such as children, spilling one's “drink” and objects shifting and moving about the boat with winds and motion. The lake has small spar buoys that are all but invisible at high speeds and shallows. Add in kayaks/canoes which are harder to see while traveling at high speed. Speed means less time to react, period, which is why professional mariners require special licenses and training.

Finally, we are destroying our lake. It is already overloaded, being polluted with unburned gas fumes. The faster you go the higher the fuel burn, horsepower required to speed is not linear. So, how long can we protect this incredibly valuable asset before it gets shut down to powerboats because of the damage done? Thirteen lakes have been shut down to powerboats in New York state because of pollution. Let’s do what we can to mitigate the damage from pollution and erosion while we can, while keeping the lake safer, cleaner, and more family friendly.

John Ratcliffe

Center Tuftonboro
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunset on the dock For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (03-15-2022), KennyFromBoston (03-15-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 05:50 AM   #186
fatlazyless

"Thirteen lakes have been shut down to powerboats in New York state because of pollution." .... from above post

One lake named Thirteenth Lake in Johnsburg NY and not thirteen lakes in New York state is probably more accurate. Thirteenth Lake allows electric trolling motors.

https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/o...s-on-13th-lake

Is a wee bit confusing .... http://www.visitlakegeorge.com/recre...hirteenth-lake .... with regard to "Thirteen Lakes have been shut down to powerboats ... "

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-15-2022 at 06:50 AM.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:18 PM   #187
Boatbottom952
Banned

Quote:
"Thirteen lakes have been shut down to powerboats in New York state because of pollution." .... from above post

One lake named Thirteenth Lake in Johnsburg NY and not thirteen lakes in New York state is probably more accurate. Thirteenth Lake allows electric trolling motors.

https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/o...s-on-13th-lake

Is a wee bit confusing .... http://www.visitlakegeorge.com/recre...hirteenth-lake .... with regard to "Thirteen Lakes have been shut down to powerboats ... "

So, is it 13 different lakes that he's trying to make you believe and mis-lead the public like so many politicians do on purpose, or is that the name of ONE LAKE that has been shut down?
Old 03-15-2022, 08:14 PM   #188
fatlazyless

In 2011 or 2012, one lake named Thirteenth Lake in Johnsburg, New York was closed to gasoline engines and limited to electric motors only.

Thirteenth Lake is 329-acres, at an elevation of 1673', located in the Siamese Ponds Wilderness Area with the lake shore predominantly State of New York owned lands classifies as wilderness. Some privately owned parcels adjoin the lake.

Private homeowners and others complained about noise, air pollution and water pollution issues.

http://www.fishbrain.com/fishing-wat...hirteenth-lake
Old 03-15-2022, 09:23 PM   #189
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatbottom952 View Post
So, is it 13 different lakes that he's trying to make you believe and mis-lead the public like so many politicians do on purpose, or is that the name of ONE LAKE that has been shut down?
FLL was just trolling and you took the bait. You'll get used to it in awhile. BTW, There are several NH lakes where power boats are prohibited, or where there are like 10 mph speed limits. They're listed in your rule book.
Old 03-16-2022, 03:50 AM   #190
fatlazyless

The sentence in the quoted letter from John Ratcliffe that says " Thirteen lakes have been shut down to power boats in New York state because of pollution." is not a factual statement, and it probably was derived from the power boat shut-down on Thirteenth Lake.

......just say'n .... that's all ..... possibly a Google search showed that Thirteenth Lake in New York state was shut down and it got re-translated into thirteen lakes in New York state have been shut down.
TiltonBB (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 06:44 AM   #191
The Real BigGuy

If you Google lakes shut down to powerboats several of various sizes, in various states, come up over past years for various reasons such as erosion, pollution, etc. Most appear to be temporary closures.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 05:17 PM   #192
John Mercier

I think we may be looking at fitting more and more people into a finite space.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:19 PM   #193
Boatbottom952
Banned

Cool

Quote:
The sentence in the quoted letter from John Ratcliffe that says " Thirteen lakes have been shut down to power boats in New York state because of pollution." is not a factual statement, and it probably was derived from the power boat shut-down on Thirteenth Lake.

......just say'n .... that's all ..... possibly a Google search showed that Thirteenth Lake in New York state was shut down and it got re-translated into thirteen lakes in New York state have been shut down.
I knew the answer before I wrote the question. Was waiting for a response from that thread starter. Yes FLL, it was done with intent. It sounds much better to some to say it that way.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:53 PM   #194
sunset on the dock

This just came to my in box. HB 1424 has been defeated today, apparently with a loud enough majority voice vote that a roll call vote was not done. Rep. Bordes, the sponsor of the bill, chose not to speak. And with a vote of 15:3 against the bill in the Transportation Committee and with the defection of 4 of the bill's 6 original co-sponsors the outcome should surprise no one. There was significant bipartisan support for our present 45/30 speed limit law.

Dear 45/30 Supporters:

We are pleased to report that the NH House has voted “Inexpedient to Legislate” (ITL) on HB 1424. This action grants final approval to the Transportation Committee recommendation to kill the bill. The House action ensures the current speed limit law will remain in place.

Today’s vote was conducted by voice only, so no record or roll call will be available.