Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #101
AmericanBoatClub

Lightbulb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni P View Post
I'd love to see a Freedom Boat Club type of business up there!
Not sure if this post is too much of an advertisement? If it is I am sorry and I am sure it can be taken down, but it seems relevent.

We will be launching our club in the spring of 2011, we are very excited about it. We agree the lake seems to be lacking a great boat club. So come 2011 you will be able enjoy our fleet of boats for less than the cost of a boat slip!

Our website is underconstruction but you can find us on facebook, and I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Laconi...5126999?ref=ts
AmericanBoatClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #102
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBoatClub View Post
Not sure if this post is too much of an advertisement? If it is I am sorry and I am sure it can be taken down, but it seems relevent.

We will be launching our club in the spring of 2011, we are very excited about it. We agree the lake seems to be lacking a great boat club. So come 2011 you will be able enjoy our fleet of boats for less than the cost of a boat slip!

Our website is underconstruction but you can find us on facebook, and I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Laconi...5126999?ref=ts
Not too much of an advertisement at all. Our esteemed webmaster has stated on this forum that your type of response is perfectly acceptable.

Frankly, I think your service will be warmly welcomed by many including Don- he seems like a perfect candidate.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
AmericanBoatClub (08-25-2010)
Old 08-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #103
fatlazyless

Anyone else notice how the large commercial retail space in Meredith between the Rite Aid and the sporting goods store has never been occupied. The construction of the building was finished in November 2008 and it is still waiting for its' first commercial tenant to pay rent, occupy the space, build a store, and open for business.

So, what's taking so long? Cross Point, the owner of the strip mall that includes the Meredith Hannaford's is most likely asking themselves the same question.....like what the heck is happening....and after about 21 months being 'for rent' and unoccupied....what is the problemo with this very large vacant store?

What would be a viable business in there that could succeed for years & years.....good grief....tough one to answer? So far, after about 21 months of vacant commercial store space, the apparent answer is NO BUSINESS is a go in there. Way to go Cross Point! They have created an unused and unrentable retail space in the very same location that was home to some popular and successfull stores from 1971 to 2007.....36 years of long term, locally owned retail comes to a halt when the big money, Cross Point, spends big to buy the property, and lo & behold, Crosspoint so far for 21 months has created a very large, unrentable storefront.

Nice job!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #104
mishelmeis

I would like a pizza place that delivers to the islands. Or any kind of meal delivery out here...
Old 08-25-2010, 11:12 PM   #105
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Anyone else notice how the large commercial retail space in Meredith between the Rite Aid and the sporting goods store has never been occupied. The construction of the building was finished in November 2008 and it is still waiting for its' first commercial tenant to pay rent, occupy the space, build a store, and open for business.

So, what's taking so long? Cross Point, the owner of the strip mall that includes the Meredith Hannaford's is most likely asking themselves the same question.....like what the heck is happening....and after about 21 months being 'for rent' and unoccupied....what is the problemo with this very large vacant store?

What would be a viable business in there that could succeed for years & years.....good grief....tough one to answer? So far, after about 21 months of vacant commercial store space, the apparent answer is NO BUSINESS is a go in there. Way to go Cross Point! They have created an unused and unrentable retail space in the very same location that was home to some popular and successfull stores from 1971 to 2007.....36 years of long term, locally owned retail comes to a halt when the big money, Cross Point, spends big to buy the property, and lo & behold, Crosspoint so far for 21 months has created a very large, unrentable storefront.

Nice job!
The shopping center needs a traffic light. Maybe that would bring in a new business. I avoid it in the summer because it is too tough to get out of there and head back to Moultonborough
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2010, 07:35 AM   #106
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

To answer your question,FLL.....People are very wary of starting a new business or expanding and existing one because no one knows what the future holds with taxes.Obama care looms,He also wants to let the Bush tax cuts end which will result in a huge increase.Trillions in deficits....huge slump in home sales,retail sales are stagnant....sorry to paint a bleak picture but people in business are not looking to expand,we are circling the wagons for tough times ahead.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
CGI3 (09-11-2010), ishoot308 (08-26-2010), Pontoon Goon (08-26-2010), Ropetow (08-29-2010)
Old 08-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #107
fatlazyless

Cross Point is a Massachusetts company, managing Massachusetts shopping malls, so most likely they figured what worked for them in setting commercial rent in Mass could be used in New Hampshire. As you say Samian, the macro-U.S.-economy is struggling to recover, and the micro-local economy is seasonal Meredith.

So's, the answer is pretty obvious, we all need to go get a job working for the public sector, which includes the schools, local, county, state, and federal governments and everyone will go home happy at the end of each day's work.

Anyway, after 21-months of vacancy, maybe Cross Point cannot consider lowering the rent because the cash flow would not be enough to cover their mortgage......or something like that?
Old 08-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #108
Dr. Green

Cross Point has a certain clientele in mind, and is not very flexible. Twice I have tried to rent a space in the plaza (a smaller space) and both times, after a tour and interview and promise to get back to me, they never did. The rent was pretty high (which may be another reason why they are not attracting tenants) but given that I was willing to pay it, it was a surprise they did not get back to me (or return my phone calls).
Dr. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #109
fatlazyless

www.nh.gov/liquor/stores.shtml or www.dollartree.com come to mind as two possible tenants who could probably make the large empty storefront, next to the Rite Aid, work? The space is so large, it might be big enough for both stores at the same time.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:53 PM   #110
winniplayhouse

Though it would be nice to see a small, local business go in there, I can't imagine who would be able to take that risk. If it's going to be some kind of chain, I could see a Panera doing well there.
winniplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winniplayhouse For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (08-26-2010)
Old 08-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #111
Lucky1

I love Canoe but miss the great pizza that used to be there in part of the former restaurant.

I miss Trues and I miss Fullers!

I love Hannafords and am there two or three times each week and have never had the slightest problem getting in or out.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #112
Lucky1

Quote:
www.nh.gov/liquor/stores.shtml or www.dollartree.com come to mind as two possible tenants who could probably make the large empty storefront, next to the Rite Aid, work? The space is so large, it might be big enough for both stores at the same time.
Loved the Dollar Tree or the Dollar store in Plymouth. Got all kinds of Disney things there for kids for a trip to Disney. Much cheaper to buy a few things there for time in the hotel rooms and lines and restaurant waits.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #113
angela4design

Ooohhh! Panera! That's a brilliant idea!

That intersection at 3/25 is under review by the NHDOT for consideration and planning of a traffic circle. I'm not sure what stage it's in now, but I think it's still being planned and designed. After completed, I suppose it would go to the town for approval?? (Maybe they did that first, IDK)

That would certainly have an impact on the traffic at Crosspoint. Although, I don't expect it will make it any easier to get out!
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #114
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
Careful expressing these feelings. Area business owners are scared this might hurt their business!
Shreddy, How will the local businesses know how to improve to keep a strong business if no one ever says what could be better????
Old 08-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #115
pm203

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishelmeis View Post
I would like a pizza place that delivers to the islands. Or any kind of meal delivery out here...
How about a pizza place that makes thin crust quality type of pizza?
pm203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #116
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Shreddy, How will the local businesses know how to improve to keep a strong business if no one ever says what could be better????
Go back and read the thread...you'll see the slight debacle I was involved in.
Shreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #117
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I seem to remeber Fay's have a sailboat club in the past?
Fay's did have a sailboat club as my daughter was a member there. I would trail her boat (and sometimes another member's boat on top of her boat) off to different races around NH and VT. This would have been around the mid nineties. Don't know what happened after that.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:06 AM   #118
pit martin

I go to the ICSC (shopping center deal making) in NY and most recently in Boston. The owners of this development had a booth at both, actively seeking to locate a tenant . They obviously are looking for a National Tenant to fill the entire vacant space.
pit martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #119
Mr. V

Laconia needs an Urgency Care Clinic!

I needed a simple, outpatient procedure performed, and since I am from out of the area I had no regular physician.

Out West, we have many walk-in Urgency Care Clinics to choose from, and yes, they take insurance.

Not Laconia.

Heck, I walked into an ENT's office and they refused to see me unless I had a referral from another doctor!

So, off the the Emergency Room, which was drastic overkill for the medical issue at hand.

BTW, the ER at the hospital was not impressive: the people were good, but the physical plant leaves much to be desired.

Why no Urgency Care Clinics / walk-in clinics in Laconia?

This omission seems curiously inexcusable.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #120
Jagstersmom

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPenny View Post
There is no little kids children stores any more. I have to travel to Tilton or North Conway to purchase decent clothing for my grandchildren, nieces or nephews. I know there is TJ Maxx or Walmart but either the selection or the quality isn't there. Granted, Carters or Oshkosh is in Tilton and the same for North Conway but I would like to be able to do my Laconia/Gilford trip and find the "cute stuff" all in the same day.
Whenever we are looking for something for our grandchildren, it is a struggle, there are no little shops we can check out! If I wanted sub-standard stuff, I could find it at any Wal-Mart! A lovely boutique type children's shop would fit in with the charm of the Lakes region!
Jagstersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #121
luvmypups

Default Trader Joe's or Wholefoods

We need a Trader Joe's or Wholefood Market, there is nothing like that around here. As vegetarian and someone who eats very healthy, I find it very difficult to find what I'm looking for around here. Shaws has their natural foods section but it's not nearly what Trader Joe's or Whole Foods has to offer. There are so many people in this area that are very health conscious, vegetarian, granola loving types. I think a store like that would thrive for sure. The little natural food stores are great but just dont cut it. ALSO...I do realize there will be one in Portsmouth soon but that's much too far.
luvmypups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #122
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwu View Post
Businesses are plenty all around the lake. As a consumer, I do not have to travel far to purchase food. There are enough restaurants, stores,sub shops around. If I need to purchase anything from Walmart or Target, I make the shopping trip! Keep the area green! I would hate to end up like exit 20.
Is there open area on Route 3 past the intersection with 25? Will look as I am just curious. It is already a commercial area. Also along that road to the transfer station in Moultonborough, there is quite a bit of land that might do well with some of that exit 23 commercial business. Just don't know if either area is busy enough in winter. Being right there at 93 is a huge help to those stores in winter I am sure. What would be the harm if some of those Big Box stores came to exit 23? We all go down to that area for different things from time to time.

I also wish one or two of our restaurants would find a way to have a nice salad bar.

I am not a business person so really have no idea what the area needs. I love the lake area just the way it is most of the time! (Not when I am having to drive down to exit 20, or when I am craving a nice salad bar meal though.) At least once a day I find myself saying right out loud, "I love it here."
Old 08-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #123
Alton Bay

Luvmypups...What is coming to Portsmouth? A Trader Joes or a Whole Foods?
Philbrick's Fresh Market is very nice, if you haven't tried it.
Alton Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:05 AM   #124
twoplustwo

Unhappy I'd rather travel

Is there open area on Route 3 past the intersection with 25? Will look as I am just curious. It is already a commercial area. Also along that road to the transfer station in Moultonborough, there is quite a bit of land that might do well with some of that exit 23 commercial business.

109 in the boro? Bite your tongue. For practical reasons, no, they'd never make it through the winter and the 109/25 intersection is already a train wreck. For purely selfish reasons, I'd rather head to North Conway or Tilton for anything I can't buy local than take a gorgeous road like that and wreck it. I'm trying to imagine driving 109 to the Sandwich Fair and instead of seeing those crazy wild turkeys and the gorgeous views, seeing paved parking lots and big box ugliness. No thanks.

Had our town fathers any inkling into future economies, they would have crafted a Main Street environment off of 25 in the boro - a place where people could park and walk from shop to shop of local stuff much like you can in Meredith or Wolfeboro.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #125
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post

109 in the boro? Bite your tongue. For practical reasons, no, they'd never make it through the winter and the 109/25 intersection is already a train wreck. For purely selfish reasons, I'd rather head to North Conway or Tilton for anything I can't buy local than take a gorgeous road like that and wreck it. I'm trying to imagine driving 109 to the Sandwich Fair and instead of seeing those crazy wild turkeys and the gorgeous views, seeing paved parking lots and big box ugliness. No thanks.
Thanks twoplustwo!

I live on that road and can't imagine looking at a Walmart sign instead of Red Hill
Old 08-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #126
Tomt

I would love to see a store similar to J.Pace and sons in Saugus, Ma. I say it to my wife all the time. They have a great bakery, cold cuts, prepared foods, marinated meats, imported products. If I had any knowledge of running that type of business and the nerve to jump into the market in that area I would do it myself. As much as I enjoy alot of the food establishments in the Moultonborough area, a place like Pace's would blow them all out of the water when it comes to that type of store.

http://jpaceandson.com/index.php
Tomt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #127
twoplustwo

Default Wine'ing Butcher

Tom, you need to check out The Wine'ing Butcher in Meredith or Gilford. Wonderful foods of all kinds.

http://www.thewineingbutcher.com/
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #128
Tomt

Yes, I will try Meredith I was in the one in Gilford a couple of years ago. What they do sell is very good, from the website it looks like they have more than I remember. I will certainly make it a point to go into meredith.

Thank You
Tomt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #129
Argie's Wife

There's now Fiddleheads Market in Alton, right on Main St. They seem to feature various vendors - such as a The Meat Market, a seafood market, a cheese shop, and a bakery. Excellent wine and beer selection. Their produce is mostly local and very inexpensive.

And it appears a wine shop will be opening on Main St. in Alton, just across the street from the Town Hall. I don't know details on the dates of the grand opening or anything but I have seen an old, unused building go from "blah" to "WOW!" in a restoration project to make the market look very nice.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #130
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
.... Why no Urgency Care Clinics / walk-in clinics in Laconia? ....
THAT seems like a major need that should be addressed, maybe by the local hospital if a few local doctors can not get together and do it.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:32 AM   #131
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

There should be one in Wolfeboro too. I think it would do a tremendous business. However, can you imagine all the rules and regulations?????
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #132
Alton Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post

And it appears a wine shop will be opening on Main St. in Alton, just across the street from the Town Hall. I don't know details on the dates of the grand opening or anything but I have seen an old, unused building go from "blah" to "WOW!" in a restoration project to make the market look very nice.
Any idea when the wine shop will open?
Alton Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #133
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
Is there open area on Route 3 past the intersection with 25? Will look as I am just curious. It is already a commercial area. Also along that road to the transfer station in Moultonborough, there is quite a bit of land that might do well with some of that exit 23 commercial business.

Had our town fathers any inkling into future economies, they would have crafted a Main Street environment off of 25 in the boro - a place where people could park and walk from shop to shop of local stuff much like you can in Meredith or Wolfeboro.
No Not 109 in Moultonborough. I was speaking of that area on RTE 3 in Meredith after the intersection with Rte 25.
Past the hardware store etc.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #134
VitaBene

Quote:
No Not 109 in Moultonborough. I was speaking of that area on RTE 3 in Meredith after the intersection with Rte 25.
Past the hardware store etc.
Hi Lucky, TwoPlusTwo was referring to the road to the Mboro transfer station- that is 109 as well. I know, it is confusing but 109 shares 125 from the airport to the Old Country Store, when you take a right headed to the dump, you are on 109!
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (09-01-2010)
Old 08-31-2010, 04:13 PM   #135
SIKSUKR

Maybe there is a market for a combo wine, cheese, bakery, dog groomer, laundermat, spa, and walk-in urgent care superstore!Maybe not.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:05 PM   #136
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Maybe there is a market for a combo wine, cheese, bakery, dog groomer, laundermat, spa, and walk-in urgent care superstore!Maybe not.
What, no snowblower parts?
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:33 PM   #137
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Quote:
I love Hannafords and am there two or three times each week and have never had the slightest problem getting in or out.
You need to go food shopping two or three times a week? Man! You must have a very hungry family. Then again being a regular like that they must send someone out to stop traffic for you.....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #138
luvmypups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton Bay View Post
I heard a Trader Joe's is coming or is already there. I was down at the Hanover,Mass store about a month ago and I was telling the lady how I wished there were one near where I live and she said there is one in or coming to Portsmouth.
luvmypups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #139
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmypups View Post
I heard a Trader Joe's is coming or is already there. I was down at the Hanover,Mass store about a month ago and I was telling the lady how I wished there were one near where I live and she said there is one in or coming to Portsmouth.
Sorry, but according to TJ's website, they're opening a store in Portland, Maine - not Portsmouth, NH... I wish they were coming to Portsmouth...

(copy and paste from TJ's website

Coming Soon:
Athens, GA
New York (72nd & Broadway), NY
Omaha, NE
Portland, ME
Rochester, MN
West Des Moines, IA
Old 09-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #140
WinnDixie

Default Curious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton Bay View Post
We have "The Fresh Market" here. I know it is very much like Whole Foods...is it the Philbrick's one you'd referred to? I can tell you ours is great! Probably would take a place the size of Portland, ME...and maybe Manchester (?) to get one in...and maybe Whole Foods has that Northeast market instead. It would be sure worth a drive (at least to Manchester) occasionally to sample...either "Whole" or "Fresh"! Personally, I am not familiar with Trader Joe's. Is that on the same order?
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #141
fatlazyless

Looking at craigslist-business-Wolfeboro; the fudge store, the wine store, and store fixtures from Pronto Market are all up for sale. So, what-cha think and how-about-that?
Old 09-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #142
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnDixie View Post
We have "The Fresh Market" here. I know it is very much like Whole Foods...is it the Philbrick's one you'd referred to? I can tell you ours is great! Probably would take a place the size of Portland, ME...and maybe Manchester (?) to get one in...and maybe Whole Foods has that Northeast market instead. It would be sure worth a drive (at least to Manchester) occasionally to sample...either "Whole" or "Fresh"! Personally, I am not familiar with Trader Joe's. Is that on the same order?
Trader Joe's is much like Whole Foods - I've been to both. I think Trader Joe's offers more pre-made or frozen foods. Both hire really fun and free-spirit people and it looks like a fun place to work.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:43 AM   #143
Lakegeezer

Default Fairly priced fitness center

Having lived in Manchester for a few years, I was used to the pricing structure of "Planet Fitness", costing about $10/month. What a shock when looking for a replacement near Moultonborough! The Fitness Edge has places in Meredith and M'boro but costs are $53/month (annual is $573) with a $80 enrollment fee. I can see double the price for a rural area, but five times more seems excessive. The area could use a fitness center that is fairly priced. There are tons of people that could use it.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #144
fatlazyless

The unoccupied retail store between Rite Aid and the sporting goods, whose name I do not recall, has been empty since November 2008, when it was first reconstructed.

There used to be such a good mix of stores in there; Ben Franklin, ParaFunalia, Heath Hdwe, Brooks, Phu-Jee, & Heath Super. Tape Escape across the p-lot. Boy-O-buoy, those were the good old days........laa-tee-daaaaaa.........and this is progress?.....

And, here's hoping that empty retail space stays empty for the next twelve years.....yeah! ....(closed fist emoticon here)
Old 10-31-2010, 09:23 AM   #145
acanthus

Default Needed

A year round--reasonable pricing--grocery store in Tuftonboro.
acanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:22 AM   #146
NHBoat70

Default Region needs youthful activities

This area is awful for single people in their 20s and 30s. There is no place to go after 9pm between Columbus Day and Memorial Day besides the bars which get old really quick. Even during the summer there aren't many places around here that are geared toward the younger crowd and/or are fun.

There should be a pool hall/bowling/darts/other games place geared toward youthful members, but add some class by requiring a dress code of some sort. I'm tired of going out and seeing all these bums or "ganstas" who always cause trouble. Have a lounge some place in town where you need to wear black shoes, a buttoned down shirt and charge $5 or $10 to get in.

Its sad how everything is done through the Internet now and thanks to these stupid smart phones, there is little to no face-to-face social interaction with anyone. There are no places to meet people outside of the bar setting. If there is, please tell me!
NHBoat70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NHBoat70 For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (10-31-2010)
Old 11-01-2010, 12:06 AM   #147
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBoat70 View Post
This area is awful for single people in their 20s and 30s. There is no place to go after 9pm between Columbus Day and Memorial Day besides the bars which get old really quick. Even during the summer there aren't many places around here that are geared toward the younger crowd and/or are fun.

There should be a pool hall/bowling/darts/other games place geared toward youthful members, but add some class by requiring a dress code of some sort. I'm tired of going out and seeing all these bums or "ganstas" who always cause trouble. Have a lounge some place in town where you need to wear black shoes, a buttoned down shirt and charge $5 or $10 to get in.

Its sad how everything is done through the Internet now and thanks to these stupid smart phones, there is little to no face-to-face social interaction with anyone. There are no places to meet people outside of the bar setting. If there is, please tell me!
Your right- there aren't many places to go. Back in my teens and twenties there were a number of places to go to where you could socialize and dance. Of course that was many many moons ago!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #148
Lakesrider

Hey my thread made it to the elite status of over 10000 views....Yippeee....I am somebody now.

I agree with the no place to go comment. Noticed that as soon as I moved up here. Does everyone up here own black shoes though? Jus' sayin'!
I'd love to open a club like the Bahama Beach club of the 80's down in MA. I used to go there all the time until it burned down. I wouldn't think people would mind dressing up a bit and throwing down $10.00 every once in a while for some dancing and socializing. You are right. The bar scene gets a bit old after a while. You see the same old bar flys.....
Old 11-01-2010, 09:12 AM   #149
fatlazyless

Friday nites, 6-8-pm, at the Meredith Community Center, for just one dollar you can get instruction in climbing their 24' high 'Mt Meredith' climbing wall which includes a wicked bad overhang!

Who knows....maybe they could raise the price up to ten dollars and require 'Lakeside Semi-Formal Attire' for this weekly Friday night event and serve up an adult beverage or two or three. (See other thread down in winter sports because it will not be held on Nov 12 or Nov 26.)

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-06-2010 at 04:40 PM.
fatlazyless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #150
Lakesrider

Oh I would love to see that on video. Bunch of inebriated people trying to do a climbing wall.....That would be a barrel of laughs....

"Come on Fred...Hic....I'll...Hic...race ya to the top...hic....."
Old 11-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #151
Soapmistress

Quote:
Friday nites, 6-8-pm, at the Meredith Community Center, for just one dollar you can get instruction in climbing their 24' high 'Mt Meredith' climbing wall which includes a wicked bad overhang!

Who knows....maybe they could raise the price up to ten dollars and require 'Lakeside Semi-Formal Attire' for this weekly Friday night event and serve up an adult beverage or two or three. (See other thread down in winter sports.)
Hmmmm......rock climbing for a buck, I'm in....sounds like fun
Soapmistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #152
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

This week I took a trip to The Butterfly Place in Westford, MA. Here is a link to their site: https://butterflyplace-ma.com/

They open around Valentines Day (2/14) and stay open until October 31st. They are open 7 days a week.

For those of you that have never been to this type of business. They are a large indoor greenhouse garden with hundreds of butterflies flying all around you. Also they have a pair of Gouldian Finches flying freely inside and a lovely Koi pond. There are benches inside that you can sit down on and just enjoy the beauty that surrounds you. Also, it is 80 degrees inside there. It is a wonderful escape from Winter. It is about 70 miles from Laconia. If we had one here in the Lakes Region I would be there at least once a week in the Winter.

Below are a few images that I took there.

I think this type of business would be a wonderful and welcome addition to the Lakes Region.
Greene's Basin Girl (03-05-2011), Jonas Pilot (03-04-2011)
Old 03-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #153
SIKSUKR

Just stunning photos. That's no phone camera.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #154
Irish mist

There is STILL no dermatoligist in the Lakes Region. This is not good for the area. I had to take a family member down to Concord last week. I can't belive that we can't find a dermatoligist to set up a practice here.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #155
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
There is STILL no dermatoligist in the Lakes Region. This is not good for the area. I had to take a family member down to Concord last week. I can't belive that we can't find a dermatoligist to set up a practice here.
Adult & Pediatric Dermatology, PC, Samuel D Goos, MD
240 South Main Street
Wolfeboro, NH 03894
(603) 569-3376

Directions:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...ed=0CBkQnwIwAA
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #156
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Adult & Pediatric Dermatology, PC, Samuel D Goos, MD
240 South Main Street
Wolfeboro, NH 03894
(603) 569-3376

Directions:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...ed=0CBkQnwIwAA
Thanks Rusty. From where I am Concord is a closer drive. Laconia really needs to get their own practice.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #157
JasonG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
AS much as I love mom and Pop Stores I think a Bass Pro or even better a boaters world or a West Marine would be Great in the Gilford area in the Walmart is or even if the TJ Maxx is nto there any longer beside the Shaws
I have always wondered why there wasnt a west marine in the area.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #158
jkjoshuatree

Default A Flatbread Pizza...

I've had this argument with my wife several times (she's in the commercial real estate restaurant business) and she thinks they'd never open in the Lakes Region. She says it's not busy enough.

I disagree (lovingly of course-ha ha).

Take Patrick's Pub, for instance. They do a great business in the summer for obvious reasons and in the winter they get the Gunstock, snow mobile crowd, as well as the leaf-peepers in the fall. And because Patrick's is so popular and has consistently good food they seem to do a steady business, even in the "off" season.

Now there's a Flatbread in North Conway that does an amazing business and I'm thinking one in the Lakes Region would have a similar crowd, but maybe the summer/winter crowds would be flip-flopped because of the summer crowd at the lake and the ski crowd in NC.

Just my two cents.

I also think the Gilford area would be a perfect location!!!

Let's start a petition to get Flatbread to the Lakes Region!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #159
robmac

The Flatbread co. is looking to expand with more bowling centers at this time.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #160
jkjoshuatree

Default robmac...

Really? Do you have an "in" there?

That's a great angle with the bowling alley.

There used to be a restaurant/bowling alley in Boston that was hugely popular. I'd love to see a Flatbread/alley around Winnipesaukee.