Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-10-2009, 06:31 AM   #1
The Eagle

Default My own little survey..

Hi Guys & Gals,
The ice is slowly melting, the spring is near, and the economy is in "poor shape." I am trying to decied if I should rent a slip, for my boat as I usually do, or trailer it? The boat ramp is only about 100 yards from my home. Money is scarce, gas will most likely go up again, and so (like many of us, who are watching pennies) I am wondering, what the rest of the forum thinks? Has anyone heard, if the Marinas will lower their rental fees, in this economy, or once again have an increase? (I haven't heard anything from mine yet). Are people planning to come to the lake less often? I have a feeling I'll be spending more time at the Suissevale Beach this summer, and less time watching the Eagles from my boat. What do you think?
"The Eagle"
The Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
AC2717

Default My thought

Why spend the money, if you are that close to the water save the slip rental money and use that for boat gas this year. That is what I would do, now if it were a mile or so then I would possibly put it at a slip, the one thing you will miss though is just lounging at the slip unless you know people who have their boat there already that you can hang out

No brainer- save the cash this year
Old 03-10-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
brk-lnt

Like everything else, you have to decide what expenses in your life are "must have" and which are "optional". To me, the hassle of trailering my boat and dealing with the launch/retrieve hassle makes the cost of a slip or valet service worthwhile.

If you're eating ramen noodles already and still want to enjoy your boat, then you need to cut some expenses somewhere, and trailering might be what does it for you. Personally, I'd eat ramen before I'd deal with a boat ramp
Old 03-10-2009, 07:40 AM   #4
Orion

Default weekender?

If you need to share the ramp with the masses on the weekends, then the flexibility, eliminated waiting, and reduced stress of a dock might be worth it. If you can launch during the weekdays, then might be worth saving the $ if you need to.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #5
NoRegrets

Default You Only Live Once!

It is sad that we have such options but still need to prioritize what is important to us. When you hear of sad situations and sickness all around it is magical to step into boat and hear the sound of water slapping it. I am watching my dad's health fail. He just had to cancel the trip of his dreams to Alaska because he realized he doesn't have the strength anymore. My mother told me yesterday that he tears up knowing he can't do the things he used to do. If affordable please use the lake and try to live life to it's best. We plan to be there with our boat in April and share the summer with all who those that are blessed enough to still have a choice.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
The Eagle

Default Added Info for survey

I guess I should have mentioned, my boat is a 22 foot SeaRay, and I usually am the only one (with my wife, who can neither drive a boat, nor back a trailor up) and doing that by myself, (both launching, moving the truck, docking while I move the truck, then holding the boat while I go get the truck...can you see where this is going?) Makes the slip my solution. But I am realizing that where I keep my boat, like any marina, is pretty pricy for just a few months. Also, if I give my slip up this year, I may not be able to get one again (without a LONG waiting list). So that is what prompted this "survey," to see how others are going to handle it. Is it worth the gamble of loosing your place in the marina? Is it better to just wait until "company," comes to help launch it? We have been at the same marina for over twn years and hate to give up our spot...but business is not very good right now, and I know the marina (even though they had empty slips last year) probably won't lower their prices.
"The Eagle"
Old 03-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
Ropetow

I know there were empty slips in Alton Bay all last summer. And one can assume that this summer will have at least as many empty slips. No sign of any price-cutting, though.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
GUD 2 GO!

You may want to consider valet service too. It might reduce the price a bit but you would have someone to launch and recover the boat when you need it.
GUD 2 GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
sa meredith

Default repost

I posted this in a thread yesterday, but it seems relevant here, as well:

We just got out bill for 2009 Valet service....April '09 to April '10, including winterizing for next year....$3000 for a 24' boat.
Attached was a note explaining that their waiting list was quite extensive, so please, PAY NOW, as we need to move our waiting list along.
Maybe, but, hhhhmmmmmmmm.........
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:20 PM   #10
kjbathe

Thumbs up If you don't need the money for food and shelter...

...Get the slip. And even better, do valet (Cheaper and cleaner!)

The path to global economic recovery depends on people feeling good about themselves and life once again. Trailering and launching is a hassle. If you already have the boat, you should be watching the Eagles and enjoying the sound of waves lapping at your hull.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #11
SIKSUKR

I would think valet would be an comprimize.Less money and not worrying about the launching alone issue and ramp hassles.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #12
sa meredith

Default valet

Valet is the only way we have ever done it, so I cannot compare the two.
It seems to be a good fit for me, as it is less work. Coming in at the end of the day, and not having to worry about securing the boat, and covering it (although covering is still a good idea, to keep things clean) is very convenient. Also, there are no worries about checking the boat, if we have three or four days of rain. It's in a building.
I'm not sure, however, it is cheaper than a slip. Seems about the same, although I may be wrong.
Year round valet for the past 3 or 4 years has been $2700/$3000. Currently $3000.
And we have gotten quotes in the past for $1600/$1700 for May thru Columbus Day. This year, $1800 for May thru Colubus Day.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #13
donnamatrix

Default Where ya been?

Eagle baby: We keep our boat same place as you do. The "valet" service, which we considered last year, is only a couple hundred bucks less than the slip. I don't think they will lower their rates, I am hoping the rates don't go up!! Have you gotten an invoice from them yet for this season? Should be coming out soon...I don't own a vehicle that can tow the boat, don't own a trailer anymore, getting too old for all that crap... it's a struggle . What a mess.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #14
Toyorelle

Default valet/slip

I suggest either the valet or a slip. I have never trailered a boat, but one of our favorite pastimes at the marina I am in (when not out on our boat of course) is sitting next to the ramp and watch the boats pull in and out. There are at least 3-4 arguements between husbands and wives per day and numerous accidents due to props not being raised and/or plugs not being put back in. You will end up using the boat more and having a much better time and get more for your money if you keep it in the water or use valet.
Toyorelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #15
The Eagle

Default 2009 slip invoice

Hi Donna,
No sign of the invoice yet (you know how slow they are at sending out bills)..Valet is only about $100 or so a year less, so I am still hoping "Something," happens to make the slip still afordable. Last year there were at least 5 empty slips all summer, so I'm hoping the owner does a little "Discount" for us renter who have been there for years (over 10 year for me). I hope he lowers his gas prices too...last year he was one of the highest, even after the prices dropped everywhere else.
The Eagle
Old 03-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #16
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Ambrose Cove

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
Hi Donna,
No sign of the invoice yet (you know how slow they are at sending out bills)..Valet is only about $100 or so a year less, so I am still hoping "Something," happens to make the slip still afordable. Last year there were at least 5 empty slips all summer, so I'm hoping the owner does a little "Discount" for us renter who have been there for years (over 10 year for me). I hope he lowers his gas prices too...last year he was one of the highest, even after the prices dropped everywhere else.
The Eagle
Interesting conundrum- my house is over near States Landing Beach so we just trailer (and beach it on Suissevale). If I lived closer to AC Marine I may go for a slip. Good luck with your decision. I will say that once you get a system down, even solo launch/retrieval is a piece of cake.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #17
Dave M

Default Another option

Do you have a friendly neighbor. Assuming their dock is big enough, maybe you could "rent" a side of their dock. Probably would help them with gas money.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #18
The Eagle

Default Dave: A good suggestion

Hi Dave,
That's a great suggestion, but I don't know anyone. I've been watching for someone to "post" an opening in the Suissevale area, but if I don't see it right away, it won't be there. I know, one way or the other, I'm still going to be at the lake, maybe not ON the lake as much, but I wouldn't give it up. I work so hard and long hours all year long and that's what I work for. Now, If the economy woud just turn around, I'd be happier.
The Eagle
Old 03-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #19
momof3

Default We Valet

Eagle, I hear you!
We have been valeting since 2003, trailered up until that point. Love the valet service,but...pricey (fior me). A relative showed some interest with boating so has paid our Marina bill for the past several years, I tell you this because if it wasn't for him we would have stopped Valeting two years ago. For us this service is truly a luxury, one that if needed could be cut from the budget, I've said in other posts and i'll say it again, my husband was laid off for 10 mnths last year and the year before that was 5 mnths. As you can see with my username, I have 3 children, they are first. I do believe what another forum user said though, you live once, enjoy life to the fullest, if you can swing it do it, but if you are feeing uncomfortable with the money, trailer it, hey you still have a boat to enjoy, right?
momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #20
Flylady

Default Waiting to ask..

While not a problem I have to deal with, it seems to me that at this time of the year slip rentals are holding their prices...but if you could wait until Memorial day or later it would seem to be a better business decision for the dock companies is to rent the slip at a discount than not at all. I would be up front and ask for a discount.
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #21
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Well, I think you should just buy my boat slip (Number 29)at the Quayside Yacht club. It is only $129,000 with a 28' boat included. You can see my boat in the driveway on Oberdorf St....1st house on the right!

End of selfish plug....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #22
secondcurve

Slip prices aren't falling? The slip I rented two years ago at Quayside for $3,100 was recently advertised in the classifieds in this forum for $2,400. Prices held up by and large in 2008, but this year they won't be as stable. The trend is clearly down. The only positive for slip rentals is falling gas prices.

Last year on this forum we were debating whether the economy was in a recession and some folks were able to make a good case that perhaps it wasn't. This year the talk coming from every media outlet is whether the US economy is moving into a depression. While it hasn't been true for a long-time, it is certainly true today that the slip renter has the power over the slip owner. Don't be afraid to use it.

Slip owners looking to rent in 2009 will be more motivated to cut prices early. If I were you I'd give up my existing spot if your marina isn't open to reductions and then pounce on someone who is stuck with a slip in May. Winnipesaukee will feel the economic crunch this year....retirees and second home owners are especially exposed and some of them will be looking to rent slips at any price.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #23
The Eagle

Default 2009 Slip fee

Well I just got my slip fee for 2009. Forget about a break! The rate went up to $131 a foot, with nothing to offer! (no store, no real bath rooms, poor parking, exremely high gas) Looks like I'll be trailoring or not using it at all. Keep your eye out for my boat in the Classified!
Old 03-13-2009, 06:48 AM   #24
jrc

The reductions are hitting the small owner earlier and harder than the large marinas.

Think about it. If you have 100 slips rented out for $3000, you can make $300K. Now if you leave 10 empty you still make $270K. If you lower your rate to $2500 and fill all the slips, then you only make $250K.

Now if you only own one or two slips to rent out and no one is calling at $3000. You have a choice of $0 or lowering your price.

So look to condo based marinas, where there are many owners competing for you business. The big guys will just ride out the downturn with a few empties rather than erode there perceived value.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:53 AM   #25
momof3

Default That Stinks

Eagle,
That just stinks....When we got our bill last year the increase was of course blamed on the oil prices, gas, heating their buildings, etc... they included a letter with the rate increase stating it was for those reasons. The big joke this year was will we get a letter stating the prices went down because fuel went down, etc...no such luck, however the prices did stay the same so we're good, I guess?!?!
momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:29 AM   #26
The Eagle

Default Penny wise pound foolish

JRC ..True, he would get more $ by keeping it high and only loosing the 10, BUT..he'd loose the money for "Spring Launch," which is usually a few hundred, plus the oil change, and tune up's, and the gas he'd sell, and goodness knows the maintainence and service on those boats as well. Then there's 10 less to winterize, shrink wrap and store for the winter. Sometimes in business you have to look at the big picture and not just the quick easy buck. Too many marina's look for the quick buck, and forget about what comes along with the service. Most slip owners are very loyal to their marina when it comes to service. That's a lot of money to kiss off!
"The Eagle"
Old 03-14-2009, 07:28 AM   #27
NonVoting Taxpayer

Default Talk to the Owner

Eagle
Since you have been a long time slip renter, why not go over and talk to the owner or the mechanic about your prediciment. You might find out the almighty dollar may not be the bottom line in their business. Long time loyalty may also come into play.
NonVoting Taxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:17 AM   #28
TomC

Default the problem with a special deal..

..is that people talk. If someone finds out that the guy next to him is paying less, what's the first thing that he does? Heads to see the owner/manager to ask 1) why he wasn't given the same rate? and 2) when can he expect a refund? Then the stampede starts....

Its better to have a formal "loyalty" program or discount for repeat customers so this kind of thing doesn't happen.

It has to be tough to know what to do with the rates in these cases. You know that the waterfront taxes surely didn't decline, the staff wants a raise (though its possible to freeze wages for a little while - til everyone quits), permits/fees for hazmat permits keep going up, and so on.

I looked into starting/buying a Marina and with waterfront going for $3-$5K per foot to buy (and 1-2% per foot per year tax bill) there really isn't any money in it...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:41 AM   #29
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
.... That's a lot of money to kiss off!
"The Eagle"
Good point, the math is different in a full service marina. Lots of variables in the boat business.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #30
Kerk

Unhappy Vaporlock

I paid for my slip as an Island person and will till I sell the place! $$$$$$$ is killing it . JMHO:
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote