Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #1
Steveo

Default Diamond Island Boating Accident update

I was just wondering if there is any update on the Diamond Island boating accident. The accident occured on June 15th, 4 1/2 months later and there is not much of anything being said. In the last news report (below) on September 13th, it was stated that "the last piece of evidence being tested at an out-of-state laboratory should be available at month's end." It also says that "The grand jury is scheduled to meet next on Sept. 25."

IMO - seems like a long time not to hear any more on the incident.

September 13th article in Citizen:
Lt. Dunleavy said he anticipates that the results from the last piece of evidence being tested at an out-of-state laboratory should be available at month's end. The rest of the department investigative report has been completed and, once the last piece of information is added, the entire case file will be forwarded to Belknap County Attorney Jim Carroll for review.

As the county's top law enforcement officer, it will be Carroll's decision as to whether Blizzard should be charged with negligent homicide in connection with the crash. If Carroll believes evidence supports charging Blizzard, the case would be forwarded to a grand jury for possible indictment. The grand jury is scheduled to meet next on Sept. 25.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Kamper

Lab results may be "available" to the MP but they frequently don't issue their reports for a year or more.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
Airwaves

As I understand the Grand Jury process in Belknap county. The Grand Jury meets once a week for 6 month sessions. Jan-June, July-Dec. (source: Belknap County Attorney website)

So IF the Marine Patrol forwarded their report to the County Attorney and IF the County Attorney put it on the Grand Jury docket on Sept 25th the Grand Jury would have met only 4 times since getting it (5th tomorrow if their day to meet is Thursday)

I don't know when Belknap County releases the results of Grand Jury investigations but because of the time that has elapsed since the accident I would speculate that this is not a slam dunk case.

Of course it could be too that the investigation has cleared all involved and that the parties just have not made that public.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote