Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
rander7823

Default Simple Question

We are coming up in July for vacation. My 11 year old daughter likes to fish. We are styaing on the lake and I was going to toss a fishing pole in the car and take her down to fish. Strictly catch and release. I will be helping her but not fishing myself. Any rules I need to know about?
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
AC2717

Default Yup

Just let her always have the pole in her hands in case marine patrol comes by and asks you for your License, I am sure they would not bother you though, they are pretty good about that, as long as you do not have a pole in your hand as well
Old 05-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Unless she can do it by herself you are going to need a fishing license. I understand you can't touch the pole unless you have it.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
Rattlesnake Guy

I can tell you from previous experience that it is darn near impossible to bring a child fishing and not touch the bait or pole.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
Argie's Wife

You can get your license online at anytime [HERE]. There's even one day, three day, and seven day licenses available.

Kids under 16 years old can fish for free. There's more info [HERE].

More about the laws [HERE].

But... and not to discredit anyone here... but I don't see where it says that you must have a license to touch a fishing pole when you're fishing with someone 16 years old or younger... I would think that common sense would prevail if you were seen baiting a kid's hook or taking a fish off the hook and had only one pole and the kid was right near you that you were assisting only and not fishing...

(Just checking - before I get called "stuffy" because I'm supposed to take my little Cub Scout fishing and don't want to set a bad example by getting in trouble for "game stealing!")

I totally agree with your comment, RG!

And did you know....
On the first Saturday in June each year, New Hampshire Fish and Game offers the public an opportunity to fish for free. It’s called Free Fishing Day, and residents and nonresidents may fish in water bodies throughout the state without purchasing a license. While the fishing may be free, the day is not a free-for-all. Participants must abide by all current New
Hampshire fishing regulations; an Atlantic salmon permit is required to fish for brood stock salmon in the Merrimack and lower Pemigewasset rivers.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
rander7823 (06-01-2009), wifi (05-30-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2009, 07:13 AM   #6
tis

Well, Argie's wife, I may be wrong but ages ago that is what we we told by Fish and Game. So we have always followed that rule. Maybe they don't know the rules or the rules have changed. (We all know some MP's don't know some of the rules.) I think the assumption is that if you are helping your child, you are fishing. I am not saying I think it is necessarily a good rule as I don't see the harm in helping a child if you are not fishing yourself but I can also see their point that if someone did not want to buy a license but were really fishing themselves, and fish and game came along, they could tell F&G that it was their child fishing not themselves.
I also agree with you RG, that is why I mentioned it. You are surely going to help bait the hook or take the fish off at some point, if nothing else!
It will be interesting to see how this controversy turns out. license or not?
Old 05-30-2009, 08:32 AM   #7
Argie's Wife

Smile

I believe you - that just seems really extreme!

My kid would have a greeeaaaaattttt story to tell the Cub Scout troop... "Hey! Guess what my mom got in trouble for?!!!!!" He's already ratted me out for not wearing a seat belt when I backing out of the driveway...

BTW...

I learned last night when I was reviewing the F&G website that you can get a LIFETIME LICENSE - it's prorated by age, of course. (I can't think of a better b-day gift for an avid fisherman!) Very cool!
Old 05-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
hoopdawg

if you have your child with you and the child is fishing and under the age of 16 you as the parent must have a LICENSE
hoopdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:12 AM   #9
Bear Island South

I guess I better get my license, my 4 year old started fishing this weekend, I can say he baited the hook with a worm he found under a rock and reeled this one in himself. I assisted with getting it on the dock and taking it off the hook, we released back into the lake after the photo shoot.
Attached Images

Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
jrc

Fist of all a Marine Patrol officer has never asked me for a fishing license. I expect only a Fish and Game officer will ask you.

Second, here is the law:
214:2 License Required; Exception. –
I. The provisions of RSA 214:1 shall not apply to resident land owners while upon their own land or to the owner's children under 16 years of age when accompanied by the owner or another licensed person 18 years of age or over on such land, to persons fishing in ponds operated and maintained in an aquaculture operation, to persons hunting on a regulated shooting area, to persons under 16 years of age while fishing, to persons under 16 years of age while hunting when accompanied by a licensee 18 years of age or over, or to residents under 16 years of age while trapping when accompanied by a licensee 18 years of age or over.

I can't find a written law or rule addressing the need to have a licensed parent. But if you're helping them, then it's up to the F&G officer to decide if you are fishing or not.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:09 AM   #11
rander7823

Default Thanks for the info everyone

My first reaction was getting the 7 day license.....$35 bucks to catch a few blue gills.... that may require some more thinking.
Maybe a one day pass.......now I have to predict which day the weather will be good to take her. That and I'll be picking the Powerball number correctly this week.

Now I saw one comment about private property.....now if I am fishing from the shore of the condo complex we are staying at does that count as private property?

I am really glad she doesn't want to hunt turkeys
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #12
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Fist of all a Marine Patrol officer has never asked me for a fishing license. I expect only a Fish and Game officer will ask you.
Yes I have never seen the MP bug someone that is fishing. This is the responsibility of the Fish and Game officers. Now here is what my family was told many years ago, by a fish and game officer that my brother new.

As long as the adult doesn't touch anything (pole, fish, or bait) then there are no issue, and no worry about inturpretation. However if the adult helps out in anyway, it is up to the individual Fish and Game officer to decide what is going on. In short if the adult doesn't have a license, you are at the mercy of the Fish and Game officer that stops by to have a chat.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #13
Colt

Default There's the law and there's common sense

If fish and game see's an adult holding a sponge bob fishing pole w/a 4 yr old next to them he's not going to ticket you. Now if your 4 yr old is holding an 8' pole with a $100 reel and a tackle box that would make Charlie Moore proud...someone better have a license.
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #14
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
If fish and game see's an adult holding a sponge bob fishing pole w/a 4 yr old next to them he's not going to ticket you. Now if your 4 yr old is holding an 8' pole with a $100 reel and a tackle box that would make Charlie Moore proud...someone better have a license.

I would imagine in most cases they would just warn you, but would you want to take a chance? If you are going to pay a ticket anyway why not buy the license. I guess it was a one time fishing experience then maybe it would be worth taking the chance, but otherwise----. It would be my luck that the one time I helped a child without a license, the F&G would come and they would not give me a warning. LI was told exactly the same thing we were by F&G so that must be their official take.

I didn't know you could fish on your own land without a license. However, I imagine that does not include off you own dock because that is on state "land".

I would think if you live in a condo it would be your own land. Why wouldn't it? They just have more than one owner.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #15
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default Why would SpongeBob need a Fishing Pole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
If fish and game see's an adult holding a sponge bob fishing pole .......
I decided I had better check before making a crack about a SpongeBob Fishing Pole and whaddayaknow?

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #16
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I would imagine in most cases they would just warn you, but would you want to take a chance?
the question really becomes what is the fine as opposed to the price of the license........

An out of state license is what about 40 - 50 $........ what is the fine?
Old 06-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #17
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
I decided I had better check before making a crack about a SpongeBob Fishing Pole and whaddayaknow?

My son has the "Star Wars - Clone Wars" fishing pole...
Old 06-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #18
hoopdawg

I took the liberty of emailing my friend Lt. Robert Bryant a local Fish and Game Warden and giving him this situation

I need to know the rules/regs on this situation

you are either own your own property or public property and say your 8 year old is fishing and you are there, do you as the parent need a fishing license ?

this is the email that I recieved back from him

David ,

As long as you are not assisting you would not need a license. If you are only baiting the hook or taking the fish off the hook nobody would hassle you but what often happens is that the child loses interest and the parent ends up holding the rod while the kid is off doing something else, even though they might be right nearby. If an officer observes you holding the rod with the line in the water then you would be subject to a fine.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Lt. Robert Bryant

I hope this will help you all !!
hoopdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoopdawg For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (06-01-2009), Bear Island South (06-01-2009), rander7823 (06-03-2009)
Old 06-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #19
SIKSUKR

Now that sounds like a very reasonable and fair assessment of the situation.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #20
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Now that sounds like a very reasonable and fair assessment of the situation.
I didn't think it sounded like the official Government position either.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote