Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-12-2023, 10:07 AM   #1
The Real BigGuy

Default Battery Float Charger/Maintainer

I’m looking for a float charger/maintainer for my boat batteries. I keep them in a friend’s heated garage several towns over so it is a pain to go over there every several weeks to check them.

Every time I find one and read the reviews they are usually something to the effect of, “after leaving my battery on it over the winter my battery was dead flat.” Or, “a piece of junk. Don’t waste your money.”

Anybody use one of these that they can recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 10:38 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Battery Tender

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
I’m looking for a float charger/maintainer for my boat batteries. I keep them in a friend’s heated garage several towns over so it is a pain to go over there every several weeks to check them.

Every time I find one and read the reviews they are usually something to the effect of, “after leaving my battery on it over the winter my battery was dead flat.” Or, “a piece of junk. Don’t waste your money.”

Anybody use one of these that they can recommend?

Look at the "Battery Tender" line of smart trickle chargers. I use this one on all of my boats and have for years and never had issues. They have a quite a few different ones depending on your needs but only a couple that are waterproof / resistant.

https://www.batterytender.com/weather-resistant-800

I like it because it is water resistant and I can use it most anywhere inside or out. I keep a couple in my boat attached to the batteries with an SAE quick disconnect. My batteries last for years!

Dan
jbolty (12-12-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 11:05 AM   #3
Hillcountry

Dan is correct!
I have 3 of them…one is a solar charger on my shed that trickle charges my ZT BATTERY and have 2 on my wife’s ‘55 ford Fairlane which occupies her old garage space. The ‘55 has one 6v and one 12v battery. (Starter booster.)
Back when I had Harleys they all had a Battery Tender brand charger on them in winter storage. Walmart has a decent selection of them for different sized machines.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 11:33 AM   #4
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Look at the "Battery Tender" line of smart trickle chargers. I use this one on all of my boats and have for years and never had issues. They have a quite a few different ones depending on your needs but only a couple that are waterproof / resistant.

https://www.batterytender.com/weather-resistant-800

I like it because it is water resistant and I can use it most anywhere inside or out. I keep a couple in my boat attached to the batteries with an SAE quick disconnect. My batteries last for years!

Dan
I agree with Dan's recommendation of the "Battery Tender" brand of smart trickle/battery maintainer chargers. I have several of their "Battery Tender Junior" model, which is similar to the one Dan uses but is a wall plug-in model.

https://www.batterytender.com/junior

This particular model is not water resistant, but I only use them indoors.

Battery Tender models are fully automatic, use four charging stages, and cannot overcharge a battery. I have used them for years on a lawn tractor, compact utility tractor, boats, and motorcycle and have never had a dead battery in the spring.
Old 12-12-2023, 01:42 PM   #5
Woody38

Default battery minder

What is not needed is a trickle charger. these never stop charging, which is not good for a battery long term, great for short term. A battery minder is called for. These charge the battery until charged and then stop until needed again.
I have two of these on my car presently, one for the starting battery and one r the accessory. Then all will be good to go when I return. The battery on my John Deere is not on a charger as I have found it really is not necessary, I put the trickle charger on for a short while when returning.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2023, 01:50 PM   #6
gwhite13

I also use only the "battery tender" line of chargers.
Have tried others with terrible luck.
One for each battery lined up on a wooden board off the floor.
gwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 03:46 PM   #7
NHskier

Battery Tender brand all the way. I’ve used them on motorcycles and garden tractors and gotten many extra years of life out of my batteries. I have two of them, and one is pushing 20 years and still working just fine.
Old 12-13-2023, 07:21 AM   #8
The Real BigGuy

Thank you! I’ll check them out.

Old 12-13-2023, 08:42 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

+1 for Battery Tender. I bought one some years back after having to replace a series of lawn tractor batteries, and now I'm getting 4-5 years out of them.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 09:15 AM   #10
ishoot308

Default Ring Terminal Connector

What I do is I buy their ring terminal pig tails and attach them to all my toys batteries... boats, snowmobiles, Atv's, lawn mower, snowblower, etc, etc. then its just a simple quick connect to the battery tender when needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Dan
Hillcountry (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 04:54 PM   #11
NHskier

The ring terminal approach ishoot mentioned definitely makes it easier than the small alligator clips. You can have that pintail exposed so no need to get under a hood or maneuver to get to battery terminals. You can also get extension cables if needed.
Old 12-14-2023, 03:57 AM   #12
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
What I do is I buy their ring terminal pig tails and attach them to all my toys batteries... boats, snowmobiles, Atv's, lawn mower, snowblower, etc, etc. then its just a simple quick connect to the battery tender when needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Dan
Great tip. A lot of people do this with jetskis because the batteries are often tucked in tight and the posts are usually don't have much room to attach alligator clips.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 08:24 AM   #13
fatlazyless

Arrow ...... what, no battery?

Hey ....... snowblowers do not have batteries ........ you attach an extension cord to the electric start motor or just pull on the pull-start handle. Have never seen a snowblower with a battery?

According to Wikipedia, there is not a single snowblower in the world history of snowblowers, ever made, that has a battery! Not even the most expensive Ariens has a battery. .....
Old 12-14-2023, 08:43 AM   #14
AC2717

What about solar options, what do people like, I have older model ones on my boats, but last year I noticed they were struggling, so I was looking for reccomendations on ones I can leave on the boat when at dock or sand bar. U usually put one out on the swim platform while it sits, and small fishing boat I like one on the starter battery as well another on the deep cycle for the accessories and trolling motor. anything out there that does two batteries at once for that type of application?
Old 12-14-2023, 08:52 AM   #15
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
What about solar options, what do people like, I have older model ones on my boats, but last year I noticed they were struggling, so I was looking for reccomendations on ones I can leave on the boat when at dock or sand bar. U usually put one out on the swim platform while it sits, and small fishing boat I like one on the starter battery as well another on the deep cycle for the accessories and trolling motor. anything out there that does two batteries at once for that type of application?
Battery Tender has a full line of solar chargers from 5 watt to 35 watt charging capabilities. You can also get a simple splitter when needed for two batteries, obviously your charging rate is cut in half for each battery.

If you go over a 10 watt panel, I would recommend you also get their solar controller to keep your batteries from over charging.

https://www.batterytender.com/solar-...ater-Resistant

Dan
Old 12-14-2023, 05:45 PM   #16
The Real BigGuy

Thanks again for the input. I picked up a Battery Tender plus. I don’t use during the season as the batteries seem to keep charged from boat use. My need is over the winter while the batteries are in storage. Thanks for the input one more time.