Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2020, 01:20 PM   #1
Garcia

Default When do you open for the season?

With the warm weather and talk of ice out, I'm curious - when do you open for the season? Growing up my family opened a week or two before Memorial Day. Once I started doing it, we open, whenever possible, the first weekend the ice goes out. One of my neighbors is like me and opens as soon as possible. Others do so on a fixed weekend every year (Memorial Day for one, first weekend in may for another).

How about the rest of you?
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:59 PM   #2
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
It's hard to have an opening day if your there all year long. But it was always milestone when we put the docks in for the season. We always tried to have it all done before Memorial Day,
I look forward to the day! Unfortunately, retirement is years away and I will never be able to work 100% remote.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:19 PM   #3
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
We always seemed to do it over the course of two days ............. or 2 weekends. One day for the docks , and lawn furniture. Then the other days to put in the water toys.
I'm on an island so it's dock and mooring, water, then move boats and furniture that was stored in the camp so it can be tidied up (no mice I hope).
Old 03-14-2020, 02:45 PM   #4
Steveo

Default Opening the Camp

One of my most favorite days. Temperature isn't usually my stumbling block but since I draw my water from the lake I have to wait for all the ice bergs to clear. Usually occurs when Alton Bay clears about a week before Ice Out. Since I live in Mass. I usually shoot for Patriots Day weekend (mid April) but try really hard to make it the week before so I can watch the Masters for 4 days at the camp with no one bothering me (). Putting the water pipe into the lake and firing up the water pump in the boathouse is always fun but sometimes nerve racking. Will the system leak? Did the water line crack anywhere? Did I lose a faucet or two. Once the water runs and I can fill the toilets it is time for a beer (or two...) down at the dock and be thankful for another camp opening at the lake. Nothing better.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:25 AM   #5
Merrymeeting

With our permanent home now in the lakes region, the concept of opening up no longer applies. But when ours was still a 3-season cabin and the kids were in school, our opening weekend was always Patriots Day weekend. While I had a few nail-biting nights over the years, I always found that by mid-April, the danger of our exposed water pipes being frozen was past.

While we often woke up in the AM being able to see our breaths in the bedroom, I remember those first nights at the lake each season fondly.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2020, 10:55 AM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default self vs pro?

There's a progression here. My wife and I used to do it ourselves. Then we had kids so I had to at least get the plumbing operational before she and the young ones would appear. As long as the marina could get the boat de-winterized, we aimed for the first weekend after ice-out. The goal was to see if there was anything that required professionals, and get them scheduled before everybody else called a bout the tree that fell on the roof and took electric wires with it.
Plumbing, furniture out clean, wash windows, clean up windblown yard debris, clean the boats, all took 3-4 weekends before we were 100% ready for the season. Now, we call the professionals to do all this and all I do is buy plants and manage the flower boxes. I take that back. My daughter calls the professionals. When I get the bill, I know it is open and operational, and professionally cleaned..
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Flylady (03-19-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 11:21 AM   #7
WinnisquamZ

Being full time the question here is when can the dock go in. Looking like early April for sure. No boat pickup as those spring storms will toss it

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:24 AM   #8
RumGuy

Default Opening

My Father would never open the house until April 15, give or take. As I have gotten older, I have simply accepted the wisdom that he brought (probably by learning the hard way), so Mid April it is!
RumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:22 PM   #9
ghfromaltonbay

Default Alton Water Dept

Since we are on town water, we can't open up until late April after Alton turns on the water beyond the back bay bridge on Route 11.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:19 PM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Bucket Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
Since we are on town water, we can't open up until late April after Alton turns on the water beyond the back bay bridge on Route 11.
Time to get the bucket brigade working from the lake to the cottage then start boiling.

Dave
Old 03-19-2020, 03:04 PM   #11
ghfromaltonbay

Default No thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Time to get the bucket brigade working from the lake to the cottage then start boiling.

Dave
Staying in an uninsulated cottage with no running water to boot isn't my idea of a good time. Unless April is unusually warm, May 1 is soon enough to start enjoying the season.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:32 PM   #12
ApS

Red face Maybe Memorial Day Would Be Better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
Staying in an uninsulated cottage with no running water to boot isn't my idea of a good time. Unless April is unusually warm, May 1 is soon enough to start enjoying the season.
One season, the ice hadn't (yet) gone out, but the quiet of an early season encouraged me to finish my IRS obligations in early April. Water and woodstove were ready, but it didn't occur to me that "unquiet" sleds would still be out there.

Downhill, and fully loaded with provisions, my vehicle plowed the snow out of the way. Even after nearly two weeks of snow-melt, "D-Day" (April 14th) happened, and Florida tires couldn't get traction to reach the top of the driveway.

Lesson learned...
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:36 PM   #13
SAB1

I now have a 4 season house. Sometimes I miss that ”Opening weekend” lot of great memories there! With the seasonal camp on moultonboro bay and water from the lake we always opened the Saturday closet to April 15. Any earlier was a gamble.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:56 PM   #14
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Hopefully next weekend!

Dan