Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #1
wtibert

Default Passing Eagle Island

OK, I'm hopeful me this is a stupid question, but when passing to the north of Eagle Island, isn't there a really small "window" between the red and black markers that is safe passage? I don't know how many boats I saw today passing to the south between the black marker and the island.

Is there a channel or a passage that I'm missing that experienced lakers know, or are these just people gambling with their props?

Thanks.
wtibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Taking a Gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtibert View Post
OK, I'm hopeful me this is a stupid question, but when passing to the north of Eagle Island, isn't there a really small "window" between the red and black markers that is safe passage? I don't know how many boats I saw today passing to the south between the black marker and the island.

Is there a channel or a passage that I'm missing that experienced lakers know, or are these just people gambling with their props?

Thanks.
The only passage is on the north side is the narrow channel close to Pitchwood Island. If you pass south of that channel especially later in the season is it a real risk.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
wtibert (07-04-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 07:47 AM   #3
Rich

When questions like this come up, I like to look at a satellite view of the area, which can often show you what you're talking about:

Scroll around on this map and take a look. I know the satellite views don't show depth information, but it sure look dangerous to take any route other than through the markers.

If you're talking about what people are doing on holiday weekends, I tend to try to stay away from choke points and other areas where a lot of traffic can occur due to the crazy antics of others.

As a matter of fact I saw a family stop their small boat so they could put a small child in a tube right in the narrow 'S' shaped channel in this same area by FL44 in south of Pitchwood Island, I had to come off plane and slow down as I passed as there was a LOT of traffic coming through that area in both directions.

The operator of the boat waved and smiled at me as I went by. I just waved and shook my head and hoped that they would get out of the area before anything bad happened.

Last edited by Rich; 07-08-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
wtibert (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 08:12 AM   #4
Rich

Oh sorry, the bit about family launching a tube with a small child in the middle of a busy channel was a bit off topic for this thread.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #5
Bizer

Don't want to take a chance? Then pass to the north of this area, between FL44 and the black-and-white buoys.

I have spent many hours surveying that area. All the while, I've seen many boats pass through and I've never seen anyone hit anything. According to my notes, there is one rock less than a foot down near the red-and-white buoy. I've also found two rocks about 2.5 feet below the surface (using a fall lake level of 3.10). Anyone with a draft that's more than five feet has a good chance of running aground, especially later in the season.

There is also the remote possibility that I missed something. So as Harry Callahan said, you gotta ask yourself this question, "Do I feel Lucky?"
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bizer For This Useful Post:
wtibert (07-08-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #6
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizer View Post
Don't want to take a chance? Then pass to the north of this area, between FL44 and the black-and-white buoys.

I have spent many hours surveying that area. All the while, I've seen many boats pass through and I've never seen anyone hit anything.

So as Harry Callahan said, you gotta ask yourself this question, "Do I feel Lucky?"
Unlike Bizer -- I have (personally) witnessed, aided and/or towed more than a few who "weren't Lucky".

The most recent was this past weekend a 22' bowrider loaded with 20 something's shortened their skeg considerably and limped home on 2-1/2 blades.

Last Fall a larger 28-30' wooden cruiser wasn't so lucky either -- as it was in inboard, it sheered or bent the prop shaft rendering it inoperable --eventually Sea Tow had to get them back to port ... he was a bit large for me to help

I frequent that area (a LOT) and in my estimation 1 out of 30 (or so) boats cut right through incorrectly to my amazement and horror ....of those - 95% make it somehow with no issue .... the other 5% ?............... well to Bizers point -- "Do You Feel Lucky" ?

And as we all have said here many many times -- Don't follow the guy in front of you thinking he knows where he's going !!

Bandrews7 (07-14-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 07:49 AM   #7
wtibert

Default Appreciate the Feedback

Thanks to all. I'm new to the lake (about 75-80 hours on it), dont go anywhere without my chart, keep one at home to study when not on the lake, constantly check where I am and where I am going, and try to plan my routes carefully. The things I have seen in my short time there just blow me away.
wtibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:20 AM   #8
CrownRay

yep. I too was dumb one day and went through there in the wrong spot. Thankfully, I was paying good attention, and saw, at the last second, the hudge boulder that was less than 3 feet under my boat! I did some kind of move like the drifters do in the fancy race cars! Hard turn with the wheel, quick to idle...

I JUST missed the damn thing.