Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
joann721

Default Planes landing in Alton Bay

Hi.... My dad is 93 years old and he loves to see the planes landing on the ice. I know that is usually happens in February - but are there specific dates when the runway is open or do they announce it somewhere.
Thanks. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Frustration is trying to find my glasses without my glasses.
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
sum-r breeze

Default Alton Bay Winter Carnival

Quote:
Originally Posted by joann721 View Post
Hi.... My dad is 93 years old and he loves to see the planes landing on the ice. I know that is usually happens in February - but are there specific dates when the runway is open or do they announce it somewhere.
In the past years we have been down to Alton for the Alton Bay Winter Carnival (you can Google it up) They have the bed races on the ice and the FLY IN happens most of the morning. They also have helicopter rides around the bay part of the lake if you aren't too chicken to fly. It usually happens on President's Day weekend in Feb.

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default The ice runway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joann721 View Post
Once Alton Bay has frozen and those out fishing in the bay report ice thickness to be about 12 inches or more, the airport manager Paul LaRochelle will have some test holes drilled along the runway area, which runs from just beyond the bandstand in the bay to a point around 3000 feet north of the bandstand. If there is snow on the ice, they will then plow out the runway area, and hopefully some taxiways, plus the parking area which is between the bandstand and Irwin Marine in Alton Bay (formally Gillen's). They then get the FAA to come out and certify the runway, and at that point they will be able to declare the runway open and will issue a Notice to Airman (NOTAM) alerting pilots.

This all can happen in early January, but more typically late January and maybe even into early February. It truly all depends on how quickly the lake freezes, and how much ice is formed and when. It is then dependent on conditions being conducive to maintaining the runway in a safe condition, with rain or heavy wet snow being a killer. The word usually gets out the best right here on Winni.com's forum.

The big weekend, as noted in the previous post, is the Alton Bay Winter Carnival, held on President's Day weekend, and will be on the Saturday. Although the fly-in is not an organized event, if the runway is open and the weather conditions are favorable, it just seems to happen, and that is when there can be many airplanes land and park at the same time. It is quite a sight to see.

Hope it all comes together so that your Dad will get to see it again.

Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and we'll see you in February.
GBGX2 (11-28-2014), trfour (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts
Default Check the forum in January

As you can see from prior winter's threads there will be plenty of info:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ht=ice+airport

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...t=alton+runway
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
trfour (11-26-2014), upthesaukee (11-26-2014)