Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
miketerrain

Smile Moving to the area

Greetings To All,
My wife and I and teen are thinking of moving to the area within the year. For several years we have been coming to the Lake Region and we love it. We have checked it out in both summer and winter, so we know what were in for reguarding the snow. Were from outside the state, Long Island, NY to be exact. We work in NYC and soon were eligible to retire. N.H. seems to be more affordable. Our current property tax on L.I. are insane!!
Any how, Were not sure which area to focus on. We like Merideth and Wolfesboro as well, but were not sure of other places. We are in our late 40's and would like to be around other families, but not too close and not too isolated. We want to be in an area with resonable property taxes. Ten or fifteen minutes to the big lake would be great as well. We welcome any opinion. Thanks
miketerrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
LongBay

Default Tax Time

You may want to visit: http://www.revenue.nh.gov/munc_prop/...elatedData.htm

where you can compare the tax rates for the towns you are interested moving to. Tax rates vary greatly from town to town . NH government agencies get all or most of their revenue from property owners including city/towns, counties and state.

Also, Vision Appraisal does many of the valuations for cities and towns in NH. This is another good resource to research comps. http://www.visionappraisal.com/databases/nh/index.htm

Good luck in your search.
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LongBay For This Useful Post:
miketerrain (01-11-2012), O'Donnell (03-20-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
Lucky1

Moultonborough is a very friendly town with lovely people and activites and reasonable taxes as there is a lot of waterfront. Hope your search goes well and you find just the perfect spot for your family!! Moultonborough is right next to Meredith and all that that town offers. I never spent much time in Wolfboro but have some lovely friends who live there and seem to like it. Do you have a time frame? I looked for a while and was lucky to find a perfect place so spend a bit of time visiting and maybe staying in a few areas? When do you plan to move or are you flexible?
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lucky1 For This Useful Post:
miketerrain (01-11-2012), WakeboardMom (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 01:53 AM   #4
Greene's Basin Girl

My neighbor and one of my best friends moved from Long Island many years ago. She and her husband raised their children in Moultonborough. She will never go back to Long Island. She talks about the congestion, taxes, etc. When we walk along the lake she always states that she is so grateful to be here.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (01-11-2012), miketerrain (01-11-2012), WakeboardMom (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default South Down/Long Bay, Laconia

We currently live on Long Island and have a second home in South Down/Long Bay in Laconia. You are correct about the taxes, we have "waterfront" in NH and our taxes are still 25% of the taxes we pay in St James, LI. We love it here also and our long term plan is to move permanently to our second home. Were we are in Laconia I feel it is a very central location in between Meredith and Gilford and really not terrible to get to Wolfboro or Alton. Also plenty of resouces and shopping so you do not feel to removed from civilization. Southdown/Long Bay is a gated community and the complex is beautiful and constantly improving and upgrading the facilities and grounds.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
miketerrain (01-11-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

In addition to the tax data suggested by LongBay, you can view community profiles here:
http://www.nh.gov/nhes/elmi/communpro.htm

While we all can give advice, we tend to favor the town that each of us chose. In my case Alton for very reasonable taxes. As you travel around the lake, there is quite a bit of variation in things like: distance to stores and services; real estate prices and taxes; population density and so on. So it comes down to personal preference. In the end you will have to gain some first hand experience in each of the area towns.

Best of luck with your search.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
miketerrain (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Vote 2 for Alton

While we moved in with my mom here in Alton back in 1996 to be with her through her last years, I couldn't be happier with our choice. We have reasonable taxes (in comparison with other towns in the area), and is central to travel to the seacoast, MA, Concord or Manchester, west to VT, or up to the mountains.

You can live on the lake, in the village, or away from the hustle and bustle of Alton.

Good luck with your choice, and welcome to the Forum.
miketerrain (01-12-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
miketerrain

Smile moving to the area

Wow thanks for all the information. The government tax web site seems full of useful information. I'll research the other areas that were mentioned as well. We do want to be near the lake, but not to close. Flooding is a major concern of mine.
I haven't considered Moultonborough, but I'll look into that. The Alton area looks to be very cheap proprerty tax, which is a good thing.
Moving into the area has me uncertain about a few things. Although I do look at maps, looking and driving to the places pose a huge difference. My daughter will probably attend the Community college in Laconia, so I guess I should consider the distance to that facility. Another concern would be emergencies, like hospital and fire department. It's wierd that now I'm near 50 years old I think about the distance to a hospital and only twenty years ago I coudn't have cared less!! My wife whom is probably smarter then me, thinks we should rent for a year and really look around at each town and soak it in. Even though we do visit once or twice per year. I of course believe in buying and take advantage of the cheap mortgage rates. Oh, one more thing. I noticed that some homes are built off a public road and sometimes private roads. I guess in the case of the private road, the homeowner has to take care of the plowing and maintenance?? I imagine this homeowner would be at the mercy of the snowplow contractor. Any thoughts???
Old 01-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
CateP

Default Relocation Advice

Welcome to the forum. As a person who has spent the last year or so in a relocation quest from NJ, I can tell you that this forum is a great place to learn about the lakes region. I can also tell you that there is nothing like spending some REAL time in the area before deciding on the town that works for you. There are just too many variables to know what is going to feel right for you and your family.

I think your wife is spot on about renting. That's what I am doing and it was an excellent decision. It has allowed me to get involved with town activities and meet lots of people without being chained to a house and mortgage. It has also allowed me the time to really explore the area and find sweet neighborhoods that are tucked away among the hills. Places I would never have found if I had only been here for a week or so.

The other thing about hanging out for a longer period is that the perception of distance changes the longer you are here. Places that at first seem like they are over hill and dale become that short, scenic little drive away. Look at the clock in your car to see how long it really takes to drive some place. It will surprise you.

To help you focus your search, however, I would look at towns on the west side of the lake if your daughter is going to attend college in Laconia. You might want to start in Meredith (decent taxes) and work your way south--Gilford and then Alton. I would skip Laconia because of taxes.

C'mon up and see for yourself.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CateP For This Useful Post:
miketerrain (01-15-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
John A. Birdsall

Default emergencies

In the last three years we have had to call emergency services in, one for my son in law who fell while in the lake and had twisted his knee out of socket, (simple explanation) and within I would say 3-5 minutes the Alton Fire Dept. Rescue was there. They had to go into the lake and lug him out. and he is a big man.

Then my mom had a problem and they came and took her down the stairs and into a ambulance.

So my point is I think emergency services in and around the lakes region is good. and the Hospitals are good as well.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John A. Birdsall For This Useful Post:
miketerrain (01-15-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
miketerrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
Welcome to the forum. As a person who has spent the last year or so in a relocation quest from NJ, I can tell you that this forum is a great place to learn about the lakes region. I can also tell you that there is nothing like spending some REAL time in the area before deciding on the town that works for you. There are just too many variables to know what is going to feel right for you and your family.

I think your wife is spot on about renting. That's what I am doing and it was an excellent decision. It has allowed me to get involved with town activities and meet lots of people without being chained to a house and mortgage. It has also allowed me the time to really explore the area and find sweet neighborhoods that are tucked away among the hills. Places I would never have found if I had only been here for a week or so.

The other thing about hanging out for a longer period is that the perception of distance changes the longer you are here. Places that at first seem like they are over hill and dale become that short, scenic little drive away. Look at the clock in your car to see how long it really takes to drive some place. It will surprise you.

To help you focus your search, however, I would look at towns on the west side of the lake if your daughter is going to attend college in Laconia. You might want to start in Meredith (decent taxes) and work your way south--Gilford and then Alton. I would skip Laconia because of taxes.

C'mon up and see for yourself.
Your spot on. I know my wife is rite, but I need to have a garage to keep my motorcycle and of course it would be only a matter of time that I'll buy a snowmobile. Thanks Cate.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #12
SIKSUKR

Wow! Let me be the first to say congrats on being eligible to retire in your 40's
WakeboardMom (01-11-2012), wifi (01-12-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
Irish mist

Your wife has a good idea about renting. You should be able to find a place to rent big enough to store all your stuff. I like Meredith also.....low taxes, great location. Good luck
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Irish mist For This Useful Post:
miketerrain (01-15-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
Your wife has a good idea about renting. You should be able to find a place to rent big enough to store all your stuff. I like Meredith also.....low taxes, great location. Good luck
I don't think of Meredith as having low taxes?? I don't know the rates but think when we were looking, Meredith was one of the higher towns. Am I wrong? Is there a chart of the tax rates? I do know that Moultonborough is part of a group that gives to other towns. Not sure how this works but would appreciate information from someone. I think of Moultonborough as having cheap taxes in relation to some other towns?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lucky1 For This Useful Post:
Redwing (01-12-2012), WakeboardMom (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
gf2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBay View Post

...Vision Appraisal does many of the valuations for cities and towns in NH. This is another good resource to research comps. http://www.visionappraisal.com/databases/nh/index.htm

Cartographic Associates
http://www.caigisonline.com/

and

Avitar Associates
http://www.avitarofneinc.com/online.html

handle pretty much all of the other towns.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gf2020 For This Useful Post:
miketerrain (01-12-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #16
winnipiseogee

Congrats Mike and welcome -

My wife and I moved back here after 13 years in NYC and SF - although I miss the food sometimes I would do it again in a heartbeat. Its a wonderful place to live! Meredith and Wolfeboro are definitely my two favorite towns. Moultonboro is nice but it can be a little out there for day to day living (unless you don't go out much or you like to drive!) Absolutely listen to the wife - we have been through 5 homes in the 6 years we have lived here four of which we owned. Not a pleasant process and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Every town & neighborhood is different and they all have their pluses and minuses. Its just about finding what you like (or more importantly what your wife likes). Private dirt roads are one of those plus/minus issues. I thought I wanted to live in the middle of the woods with no neighbors in site. We tried that house and it turns out that neighbors are a good thing and wives don't like being left alone in the middle of the woods. Until you try it you won't know what works for you!

Although Moultonboro does have the lowest tax rate in the state (about $7 per $1,000 of value) Meredith and Wolfeboro aren't that bad at about $12 per 1000. Many of the towns around here are high teens and even low 20's per 1000. I find its a balance between taxes, driving distances, community, resources etc. All about what you and the family want at the end of the day.

Finally make sure you check things out in both the tourist and the off season. What's a quiet little area in April can be crowded with summer renters. A five minute drive in february can be 25 minutes on a saturday in august.

No matter what I'm sure you will love it up here. Just leave money in the budget to escape during mud season!
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winnipiseogee For This Useful Post:
miketerrain (01-12-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #17
Jumbie98

Default Congratulations!

I am sure you will find it to be a great move! Did you say you had a teen moving with you? If they are still in school, you may want to consider choosing a place with a great school system if so.. Otherwise, anywhere in the Lakes region is a great place!
Jumbie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jumbie98 For This Useful Post:
miketerrain (01-12-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #18
LongBay

Default Mud Season

Winnipiseogee makes a good point about the mud There is really no Spring up here. It goes from Winter to Mud then Summer and Fall. If you live in the deep woods or on a dirt road Mud can be a real drag unless you like to play in it .

On flooding, the "experts" say we just had the 100 year storm when Irene passed through. So, with any luck were are good for another 100 years.

There have been more winter ice storms lately (some blame it on global warming). So when you are scouting for a new dig, take into consideration the grade of the driveway. On snow removal, they do a great job plowing the roads. There are lots of folks who plow driveways and some offer snowblowing.

Earthquakes, yes California isn't the only place falling into the ocean. NH also gets them too. We had a couple couple small ones this past year. They say this is a good; it relieves pressure.
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LongBay For This Useful Post:
miketerrain (01-12-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #19
miketerrain

Smile moving to the area

Yeah I guess $12 per 1k is doable. Right now were paying 11k per year in property taxes on house that's worth much less then 400k. For what, I can't say except the cops are averaging 150k and teachers 100k per year. So union contracts can be a curse to a homeowner.
We visited Weirs Beach and the sea coast in July and there were plenty of tourist which didn't bother us at all. We still had plenty of elbow room. Working in the NYC I'm used to being around 10's of thousands of people concentrated in a small area at a time. Imagine being in Times Sq on New Years Eve with 1 million people waiting for the ball to drop. I've been doing it for over twenty years. Living on Long Island the rush hour traffic is extremly stressful too. People are always cutting you off and always in a rush. When we were in N.H. I noticed three things. People are very nice, driving is a pleasure and my stress was gone. It was so strange when we got to Connecticut I95 the stress meter went way up.
The only thing that I'll miss leaving the NY metro area besides family is Good Brooklyn Itailian bread. It's the best in the world!!
Were visiting the Lake Region area again in February to check things out further. I did notice that Moultonborough taxes are reasonable compaired to Gilford or Laconia. I think we may ditch buying or renting in the Wolfeboro area, I heard that Mitt Romney has a place there. If he becomes president and he decides to vacation there, it won't be fun to drive,walk or even boat in the area. Secret Service will make it a huge frozen zone. When Obama visits NYC for fundraising, it causes inconvenience to all.
Oh and as far as living out in the woods, I could do it without a problem. My wife is another story. She needs to see a porch lite close by. Perhaps it's all those scary movies that she used to watch.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #20
miketerrain

Smile Thanks Longbay

Yeah I know about mud. I used to have a cabin located upstate NY and after the snow melted in the begining of April, the mud was always a problem untill the begining of June when it dries out. Your right about the roads, I should make sure we find a place on a good paved road.
I experienced an earthquake last summer inside a highrise building. As it was happening I told people that it was an earthquake. I've experianced them in the Navy on the west coast.
The flooding in Vermont and some area's of the Lake Region made the NY news. They showed film of the Winnipesaukee railroad station and the soil damage. Believe it or not, we live within three miles from salt water and very little happened.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #21
secondcurve

Mike:

Please do tell, how have you managed to put yourself in a position to retire at age 50? That is pretty impressive. Congratulations.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #22
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipiseogee View Post
Congrats Mike and welcome -

My wife and I moved back here after 13 years in NYC and SF - although I miss the food sometimes I would do it again in a heartbeat. Its a wonderful place to live! Meredith and Wolfeboro are definitely my two favorite towns. Moultonboro is nice but it can be a little out there for day to day living (unless you don't go out much or you like to drive!) Absolutely listen to the wife - we have been through 5 homes in the 6 years we have lived here four of which we owned. Not a pleasant process and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Every town & neighborhood is different and they all have their pluses and minuses. Its just about finding what you like (or more importantly what your wife likes). Private dirt roads are one of those plus/minus issues. I thought I wanted to live in the middle of the woods with no neighbors in site. We tried that house and it turns out that neighbors are a good thing and wives don't like being left alone in the middle of the woods. Until you try it you won't know what works for you!

Although Moultonboro does have the lowest tax rate in the state (about $7 per $1,000 of value) Meredith and Wolfeboro aren't that bad at about $12 per 1000. Many of the towns around here are high teens and even low 20's per 1000. I find its a balance between taxes, driving distances, community, resources etc. All about what you and the family want at the end of the day.

Finally make sure you check things out in both the tourist and the off season. What's a quiet little area in April can be crowded with summer renters. A five minute drive in february can be 25 minutes on a saturday in august.

No matter what I'm sure you will love it up here. Just leave money in the budget to escape during mud season!
I am a wife and I love living in the middle of the woods where I can't see any neighbors.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
NickNH (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 03:20 AM   #23
Lucky1

I am not aware of flooding being a problem around the lake. Am I missing something? I do think it is important to see where the house is placed on the lot etc and what the slope is like if there is one. I have never had a bit of problem and am probably 50 feet from the shore. It is a flat area near the water so try not to worry about a lot of flooding. I know they sometimes lower the water level but am not sure why that is. I think it is too help those lower then where we are.

I know in winter the lake is quieter but it does not give you any feeling of being isolated. There are so many year rounders that it always seems like a cozy quiet hamlet when I am there off season. The people are very very friendly and have fairs and all kinds of functions. I have been to school fairs in winter and gotten a good meal for very reasonable money and purchased a couple of unique Christmas presents at the same time. People in places like banks and the post office remember you which is a nice touch. I see lights in houses all along my drive to my simple year round home that I visit in winter now and then when I am not down south. It does seem like a happy, peaceful place in winter though most of my time there is in season in the summer. You will love it! Just take your time as you are young yet and there is no fire. The prices are not going to sky rocket back to all time highs. "Act in haste, lament at leisure!" And don't forget that lovely saying, "Happy wife, happy life".
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucky1 For This Useful Post:
miketerrain (01-15-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #24
miketerrain

Default Retired before 50

I'm an NYPD civil service employee. It was a 20 year and old job when I signed up, but I'm a 25 year and out guy. Time flies!! This last shoulder operation that I went through as a result of a confrontation with the occupy Wall street Protesters seeled the deal for me. I've gotten stabbed in the past and went through two terrorist attacks. My nickname should be lucky. I'm getting to old to keep playing Russian rulet. The angel looking over me is telling me it's time. It's a young man's job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miketerrain For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (01-12-2012), Ropetow (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #25
miketerrain

Cool Thanks Green's Basin Girl

Yeah living in the woods with a few acres would be fine with me. My wife on the other hand!! Remember the show Green Acres?? That's us!
Old 01-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #26
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Retiring?

Mike, You do not mention that you are retiring (unless I read quickly and missed that), only thinking about moving to the Lakes Region with your wife and teen. Good luck to you as you consider various options! Will you be seeking another job in NH, or perhaps you actually have retired!! Redwing
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redwing For This Useful Post:
miketerrain (01-13-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #27
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
Mike, You do not mention that you are retiring
Post #1:We work in NYC and soon were eligible to retire.
Redwing (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #28
miketerrain

Smile Thanks Redwing

I may get a part time job dealing with the public or perhaps volunteer or something. If I stayed at home I'd drive the old lady crazy. Plus I'm not one to sit around, so I need some type of routine! I have an old muscle car that I should restore and that may keep me busy.
I see that you have been coming to the lake since 1952. I'm sure you have seen so much changes. I hope not too negative.
The Following User Says Thank You to miketerrain For This Useful Post:
Redwing (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #29
miketerrain

Smile Sorry SIKSUKR

Sorry about sentence in my first post. Reading it back is not too clear. I was eligible to retire 4 years ago, but stayed on longer. My wife is a teacher and can retire early on a reduced pension. Our daughter is in her senior year of High school and will be graduating this June. Were putting our house up for sale in the next few months.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #30
joey2665

Thumbs up Oceanside

Mike I am sorry I did not see this before, but how long have you lived in Oceanside? I grew up there and lived there for over 30 years and graduated from OHS in 1983.

Hope to see you around in NH.
miketerrain (01-13-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #31
miketerrain

Smile Small world

Thats funny Joe, I've lived here for 5 years. Grew up in the next town "village of the damned" , East Rockaway. So I've always lived near the water. I bet you miss the egg sandwiches from Farmer Joels!
Old 01-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #32
joey2665

Wow I used to hang out at Davisons Boat Yard, my friend Ken and his family owned it for years and my other friend Matt worked there up until last year.

Farmer Joels was good but I really loved Hank's across the street.
miketerrain (01-13-2012)