Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2016, 08:33 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Water Temp ?

Does anyone know the water temp in the lake?

I went to the 'Water Temp' link noted on Winni Home page, but that link showed last temp. reported as Aug 3.

Is there a link which shows daily temps, or more updated information?

Thanks !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
Dad sold the C * C

The DES link I use was flaky this week and down now.
But Winnisquam was 77 - 78 last Wednesday. That was on both my fish finder and the green alligator tied to the dock 2" below the surface .
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
fatlazyless

In June, the U.S. Geological Survey placed a floating buoy just outside the swim line at the beach at Weirs Beach that monitors the water for bacteria, water quality, temperature and other conditions.

You can access the temperature info 24/7 : https://www.usgs.gov/news/buoy-popul...ay-out-water-0 by going to the WaterQualityWatch link at the bottom, and then clicking on the small triangle spot in the center of New Hampshire, on the map. The water temperature is reported in degrees celsius, which is simple to convert with the internet ........ no more 'multiplying by 9/5 and add 32 = fahrenheit.'

At the moment it is reporting a water temperature of 24.3 c which is 75.74-degrees fahrenheit.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-14-2016 at 11:36 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #4
Barney Bear

Default Timely Temp

The water temperature at noon on East Bear Island today is 75 degrees. 🐵
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #5
fatlazyless

The Lakeport Dam in Laconia, 527-0071, NH-DES, says it is 79. Four degrees seems like a huge difference, so maybe the water gets aerated with warm air as it passes over the dam, or something?
Old 08-14-2016, 02:41 PM   #6
bigdog

Thanks everyone for your feedback, much appreciated !

Honestly, I don't care what the water temp is, I've swam in the lake many years before Memorial day, so water temp not a concern to this old dog.

Wanted to know to convey to my daughter who is participating in the Timberman Tri-Atholon next weekend. A swim is part of the event.
She was actually hoping the water would be cooler.....
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:17 PM   #7
Merrymeeting

It's been between 78 and 80 at most places for almost 2 weeks now. See related conversation in this thread
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=20084
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:09 PM   #8
NewHaHagirl

http://www.blackcatnh.com/index.php

You can check here too! My husband is also doing the race. Cooler is better to make the race wetsuit legal!
NewHaHagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:43 AM   #9
Merrymeeting

I see the water temps on the site are being updated again. Thanks!

I am wondering though. Today's temp is posted as 74.9. Mine is reading 75.0. Can someone explain the discrepancy?
Old 08-22-2016, 07:31 AM   #10
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
I see the water temps on the site are being updated again. Thanks!

I am wondering though. Today's temp is posted as 74.9. Mine is reading 75.0. Can someone explain the discrepancy?
Today's temp reported by the USGS WaterAlert is 23.8 degrees Celcius which converts to 74.84 Fahrenheit. I round the temperature up to the next 10th of a degree which gives me 74.9.

Beginning last Tuesday I am posting the USGS Wateralert temperature from the Weirs instead of the Dataphone temperature at the Lakeport Dam.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-24-2016), Rattlesnake Gal (08-22-2016), trfour (08-22-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 06:38 AM   #11
fatlazyless

Ellacoya State Beach closed due to high level of bacteria in today's Union Leader. Unusual for Ellacoya to be closed ....... usually, it is the beach at Weirs Beach....and recently.....it's been Gilford Town Beach that gets closed. Is it all about too many people urinating in the lake or what.....like the canada geese? Right now, the water temp is about 3-4 degrees higher than what's usual for August 23?
Old 08-23-2016, 08:49 AM   #12
znh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Ellacoya State Beach closed due to high level of bacteria in today's Union Leader. Unusual for Ellacoya to be closed ....... usually, it is the beach at Weirs Beach....and recently.....it's been Gilford Town Beach that gets closed. Is it all about too many people urinating in the lake or what.....like the canada geese? Right now, the water temp is about 3-4 degrees higher than what's usual for August 23?
They also just hosted the Timberman race so they had A LOT of people in the area and in the water doing who knows what. It is definitely shallower over there and with the warm weather and the combination of all the people I'm not completely surprised if it got tagged...

Although I don't see it listed on the States site as closed or with a warning? Do you have a link to the article?

http://www4.des.state.nh.us/WaterShe...BeachMaps.aspx
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Ellacoya State Beach and all NH state parks will be totally free on Thursday, August 25 because it is the 100th anniversary of the National Park System. It usually costs four dollars for adults.

Wonder what's up with the high bacteria warning from Tuesday, August 23...... is it safe to go in the water there? That could be an unusual situation if the beach there has those bright orange bacteria warning signs from the NH-DES posted at the waters edge ....... and the entry fee is free? Can that really happen? Like yes, it has high bacteria ...... but the price is free ....... so bring the whole family!

I know in Massachusetts, they would close the beach and swimming, but here in New Hampshire, they just post orange bacteria warning signs and leave the decision up to the individuals ........ live free or die? .... the decision is made by each individual town or in this case ... the state park.

Supposedly, according to a radio report yesterday on NHPR, you have to say 'Happy Birthday' to get in for free......regardless of any bacteria.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-25-2016 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:01 AM   #14
znh

Still don't see the 'warning' you are referencing. Nothing on the State site?

http://www4.des.state.nh.us/WaterShe...BeachMaps.aspx

Do you have a different link / source?
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #15
fatlazyless

No, there was a Union Leader article on Tues, Aug 23, about high bacteria at Ellacoya State Beach and then later on the same day, I couldn't locate it again in the Union Leader.

If you google 'unionleader.com, ellacoya bacteria' ...... it's the first article to show and is dated August 18.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...139&source=RSS

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-25-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #16
fatlazyless

Default ...... "Parameter monitored seasonally"

Looks like September 20 was maybe the last day for the USGS floating buoy at Weirs Beach that transmitted the water data including the temperature to the website below. The water temp daily listing in this Lake Winnipesaukee website, as posted by the Webmaster, stopped on September 21, the last day of summer.

Holy smokes....is the Weirs Beach area so totally a summer time, seasonal area, that even the United States Geological Survey's, water quality watch, floating buoy was shut down or removed on September 21?

Question: Is the buoy still floating in its' place just beyond the swim line at Weirs Beach, or has the buoy been removed from the lake?

In June, the U.S. Geological Survey placed a floating buoy just outside the swim line at the beach at Weirs Beach that monitors the water for bacteria, water quality, temperature and other conditions.

You can access the temperature info 24/7 : https://www.usgs.gov/news/buoy-popul...ay-out-water-0 by going to the WaterQualityWatch link at the bottom, and then clicking on the small triangle spot in the center of New Hampshire, on the map.

Go to the 'WaterQualityWatch' link above, click on the small Lake Winnipesaukee triangle and what you get is "Parameter monitored seasonally."

Hellooooo Congressman Frank Guinta....... https://guinta.house.gov/ ......is there any chance you can help the Winnipesaukee forum get this USGS buoy working again.....for all us poor locals who are stuck here all year around.....and cannot afford to escape the winter to Florida, or Arizona, or Saint Croix?

Believe the floating, USGS water monitor buoy, is located in the lake in the Weirs Beach, NH 03246 postal zip code area and is within our Congressman Frank Guinta's 2nd District of New Hampshire. Come on Frank, Buddy, come help us with the water temperature buoy ....... it was great while it was working....but it got closed on September 21......the last day of summer.....and we are still here.......boo-hoo!

Plus, do not mean to get political here.....but Frank.... buddy.....don't you have an election coming up next month? If anyone else is totally bored out of their mind, and has nothing better to do.....then maybe you too could send Congressman Frank an email of concern for our not working, USGS monitor buoy?

Looking at http://www.blackcatnh.com/index.php and it says the water temperature at two feet depth is 73-degrees. If that is really true....then it's time to get wet and go swimmimg! 73-degrees on October 2? ..... can that be correct? ......could be the warmest October 2 water temp here ever, ever, ever for the last 12,000 years.....just ask the Old Man on the Mountain!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-02-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:12 PM   #17
Winnisquamer

Don't know the temp but I swam yesterday and it was fantastic. Nice and warm still
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:03 PM   #18
Merrymeeting

Went diving off Rattlesnake today. It was still 60 degrees at 100', which is pretty amazing. While the surface is cooling, the temperature of the water column seems to be becoming more uniform, a prelude to the fall lake flip.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #19
Just Sold

Trexler's web site cam shows a temperature graph at the botton of the page. It shows a steady drop in water temp at the "Lighthouse" for the past 7 days. 63.61F today at the 11' depth.
http://www.winni.us/cam/