Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-21-2005, 11:20 AM   #1
Resident 2B

Thumbs up Very Warm Water

Based upon today's posted water teampaure of 79 degrees, I looked into some historic teamptures of the lake.

I found:

1)The lake has not been this warm since August 9th and 10th of 2001.
2)The lake usually peaks, as far as water temaptures, in the 5th to 12th of August.

I could not find a July water temapture of 79 degrees, but I am looking for data in the 1970-1999 timeframe. If I find it, I will post what I find.

Bottom line is the lake is very warm and if history repeats, as it offen does, it should even get warmer. Get out, get in it or on it and enjoy this somewhat unusual warm water.

For those sea coast residents, we know that warm water usually encourages shark attacks. We do not have this problem on our lake!

Last edited by Resident 2B; 07-21-2005 at 11:29 AM.
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 12:51 PM   #2
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Might encourage eel attacks though
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:51 PM   #3
fatlazyless

Besides being very warm, the lake level is very high. Last time that it got up to 80 which was in some August in the late 1990's, and the lake level was much lower. This year, there have been two large hurricanes down South and lots of humid & muggy weaather in NH.

There are news reports shrinking polar ice caps and ice breaking off in big chunks that fall into the ocean.

Does anyone out there bother to purchase flood insurance for their waterfront home? Flood insurance is something that never gets discussed for Lake Winnipesaukee because it is expensive and when was the last time that Winni had a serious flood with damages?
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 03:06 PM   #4
Bubba

Default Top warm, lower, not so much

It is interesting that you talk about the water being warm. Last week I was chatting with some friends and we were talking about how cold the lake is. It is really only warm for the first 20 feet. After that, it is very chilly. Last week I went to parts of the lake that at 25 feet were 60 degrees. The high water level may have something to do with it, a lot of water to heat. But below 25 feet, it is like June water temperatures.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 04:56 PM   #5
Pine Island Guy

Default sharks??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B
For those sea coast residents, we know that warm water usually encourages shark attacks. We do not have this problem on our lake!

As you can see from our most recent home-brew label (if i attached the photo properly), the warm water has indeed caused an increase in shark attacks in our beautiful lake!!!

PIG
Attached Images

Last edited by Pine Island Guy; 07-21-2005 at 05:01 PM. Reason: missed the quote
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2005, 05:02 PM   #6
Resident 2B

Bubba,

I do not dive and spend my time in the lake at 6 feet or less as far as depth is concerned. My guess is for most of us, the top six feet is our part of the lake.

Your point about the cool water down deep is interesting. The temperature profile as you decend must be unusually broad. This being the case, a few cool nights should drop the measured lake temp quickly. I hope it stays warm, but time will tell.

For those that fish for cold water fish, what are you seeing for set depths for your down riggers? Art they normal, shallow or deep?

Stay cool!

Last edited by Resident 2B; 07-21-2005 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:04 PM   #7
Resident 2B

Pine Island Guy,

Great label!

There go the tourists!

I hope the sharks are south and west of that red and white pin! The Marine Patrol will be all over them and their insurance will go way up. They also seem to be in violation of the 150' rule. Way above headway speed with 150'.

Being Irish, I am very impressed with the balance of the Leprechaun. I knew they could walk on the water, some even after the ice is out, but I do not see many with such great balance.

Very well done!

Last edited by Resident 2B; 07-21-2005 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:03 PM   #8
Lakegeezer

Default Lake Quality

The quality of the water seems to be at an all time low, at the same time that the temperature and level is high. Water clarity is terrible. Very yellow, perhaps brought on by the pollen, but things dropped in the water vanish quickly. The growth on docked boats is also heavier than normal. There is also a very strange algae growing on my dock posts - something I haven't seen before. It looks like a mass of green worms (I will try to take a picture, but lack the technology). Does UNH still measure water quality? What is the site? It would be interesting to see how their metrics compare with previous years.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:36 PM   #9
Mee-n-Mac

Talking The truth revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Island Guy
As you can see from our most recent home-brew label (if i attached the photo properly), the warm water has indeed caused an increase in shark attacks in our beautiful lake!!!
PIG
Aaah now that explains it ! No reports of rock bass this year, all eaten by the sharks ....
Old 07-21-2005, 08:14 PM   #10
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default New mosters in the lake...

A couple of weeks ago, we had one of our grandsons (the six year old) up for the weekend. While we were waiting for our breakfasts at Katie’s, I thought I would spin a yarn for him, just for amusement purposes of course.

I conjured up the dreaded “Blood Sucking Snails of Winnipesaukee”. These creatures are 12” in diameter and their shells are clear and you can’t see them sliming across the bottom lake. That is until they find an unsuspecting swimmer and latch onto them and then gorge themselves with blood then you sure can see them.

Just about at that point I got a swift kick in shin from under that table. If looks could kill I would have been severely wounded.

However, Andy is a chip off the ole block and his reply was “Cool Papa, can we go diving and catch one”. All that weekend he pestered me to show him where they live, so I guess you say I really did create a new monster.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:38 PM   #11
Rinkerfam

I too have been wondering what the warm water temperatures will do, if anything, to water quality. We spent yesterday afternoon anchored near Patrician Shores. I was pleasantly surprised to see how clear the water was. Usually on the weekends it's very cloudy (more agitation I assume). I was also amazed at how clear the water was at Paugus Bay Marina. I could easily see 15-20 feet down. What I am not so happy to see is all of the milfoil growth. Also there seems to be much more, and diversified, fuzz growing on everything below the surface. I wonder what the future holds for the health of the lake
Old 07-22-2005, 08:13 AM   #12
Grant

Default Watch out for Algae!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba
It is interesting that you talk about the water being warm. Last week I was chatting with some friends and we were talking about how cold the lake is. It is really only warm for the first 20 feet. After that, it is very chilly. Last week I went to parts of the lake that at 25 feet were 60 degrees. The high water level may have something to do with it, a lot of water to heat. But below 25 feet, it is like June water temperatures.
Much of the best diving in the Lake is within the top 30 feet. If the water above the thermocline is really pushing 79-80 degrees this early, we can expect record algae blooms for the rest of the summer, which is horrible news for divers. In recent years, the August blooms have been pretty bad. Over July 4th weekend, the top 20-30 feet above the thermocline were very nice...seemed a bit warmer than usual, but still nice. But the difference below the thermocline (20 feet some places, 25 in others) was huge. And closer to 60 feet, it was in the 50s.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:31 PM   #13
KBoater

Default Andy found a Snail on the beach with Grandma WD

I was sitting on the beach with Grandma WD watch Andy swim. He came up out of the water wairing his gogles and snokel and in his hand he had a snail.
It was the small variety. I told him it was a snail and he did look at me in a strange manner.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:39 PM   #14
Waterbaby

Default Warm Water

I remember the lake water being in the low 80s in July of (I believe) 1993....... Hubby and I were at our summer place in Lakeport every weekend and some weeks, that particular week the temps were close to 100 every day and we went nowhere unless it was by boat. Even jumping into the water was not refreshing, as the water temp was so warm.......... this summer has reminded me of that! (Although we haven't been lucky enough to get up to the lake more than once, on 7/3, which is a longggggggggg sad story!)
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 06:11 AM   #15
dpg

Be sure to shower after your swim, you know what they say about warm water!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:26 PM   #16
Bubba

Default Warm water

For Resident 2B - Deep.

For Grant - Surface is even warmer. Thermocline moving deeper. Except at Lady. Thermocline is still at deck level. Too many cold rocks inside.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:31 PM   #17
Bubba

Default Stories and more stories

Winni Diver, you are never at a loss to get your grandchildren going. And they always enjoy it. They always seem to have a positive reaction to you and being with you. (Assuming your other posts about time spent with them is true, which I'm sure it is.) Keep it up. With all the garbage going on in the world, always like hear about adults spending quality time and having healthy relationships with kids. Keep it up!!!
Old 07-27-2005, 05:42 PM   #18
KTO

This entire summer is much better than last summer. We've had great weather, which of course helps the water temperature. After that rainy dreary May, the weather picked up and hasn't stopped being perfect!
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:19 PM   #19
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default Thanks Bubba

Someone once said, the best thing about having kids is that you get grandkids... Yes, it is true we sure enjoy the kids, we look forward to having them up for the weekends and they are such great kids too, they enjoy the adventures and they are so eager to learn new things.

Although, when our kids were younger we never had a problem getting them to come up to the boat for the weekends either. Like me it was always something that they looked forward to every week, every time it was an adventure. Of course I cheated quite often and asked them to bring a friend, after all who wouldn't jump for the chance to weekend on a big boat and have fun. So many times I heard, “anytime you need a kid for the weekend, I’m available”. Heck, I still hear it today…

The only time I get a hard time from any of them is when the adventure is coming to an end and they have to return home... But I cheat there to, they are so worn out and they have had enough but just don't realize it, so I play the totally worn out grandpa and make them take care of me... Ya right, who's kidding who here...
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:21 PM   #20
Resident 2B

Default Looks like it is cooling down

We enjoyed a warm lake this summer with a peak in July of 79 degrees and a long run of 77 and 78 degrees from August 3rd to August 15th. However, it looks like the lake is now cooling down and the extended weather forecast does not predict any hot weather. So, although I thought we would get the water into the 80s this summer, we did not make it.

So let's enjoy the great visibility we have with the low dew point for a few days and look forward to great colors of fall.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:49 PM   #21
Grant

Default Good Viz

Maybe we won't see such horrendous late-August algae blooms. When I last dove the Lake, two weeks ago, the blooms were not nearly as bad as last year or the preceeding two summers. I'll check it out when I get back up there tomorrow. Amen for cooler temps!
Old 08-18-2005, 02:00 PM   #22
Bubba

Default Solid Thermoclines

Grant, the thermoclines remain solid. They haven't moved. See ya out there this weekend.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #23
Senter Cove Guy

Default Speaking Of Thermoclines

Two Sundays ago, the surface water temperature was about 77 degrees and the water temperature on "The Lady Of The Lake" was 72 degrees. On a second dive on the same day at a different location, the first thermocline was at 37 feet (72 degrees above it and low to mid-60's below it).

Fast forward to today. The surface water temperature was about 70 degrees and the water temperature on "The Lady Of The Lake" was 68 degrees. On a second dive at a different location, Capt. Pat reported that the first thermocline was at 61 feet. That's right, 68 degrees until 61 feet. I only dove to 49 feet and was absolutely amazed at no thermocline. The amazing dynamics of temperature change at work.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #24
Jonas Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy View Post
Two Sundays ago, the surface water temperature was about 77 degrees and the water temperature on "The Lady Of The Lake" was 72 degrees. On a second dive on the same day at a different location, the first thermocline was at 37 feet (72 degrees above it and low to mid-60's below it).

Fast forward to today. The surface water temperature was about 70 degrees and the water temperature on "The Lady Of The Lake" was 68 degrees. On a second dive at a different location, Capt. Pat reported that the first thermocline was at 61 feet. That's right, 68 degrees until 61 feet. I only dove to 49 feet and was absolutely amazed at no thermocline. The amazing dynamics of temperature change at work.
What was the water temperature below 61 feet?
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #25
HomeWood

I jumped in a week ago from Saturday. Yikes! It was nippy.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #26
gf2020

Senter Cove, you resurrected a 7 year old thread?
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #27
Senter Cove Guy

Default Seemed Appropriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Senter Cove, you resurrected a 7 year old thread?
Before I posted, I searched for threads with "thermocline" in them and this one came up so it seemed appropriate.
Grant (09-18-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #28
Gatto Nero

I went in yesterday and it was great. I had to do a free dive to about 20' to fetch the line I use to mark my mooring, and it a was a little chilly down there, but around the surface was fine.