Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #1
J9lake

Default Skiing this week?

How is the snow at Bretton Woods and Gunstock? I’m sure not great, but is it skiable?
J9lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #2
radar4401

Default Skiing this week

I live across the lake in Wolfeboro and we received almost 12” of snow/sleet. Gunstock may have less but should have good skiing. We have excellent conditions in Wolfeboro as we didn’t get rain,
radar4401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:49 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Try these links

Try these links

http://www.gunstock.com/

https://www.brettonwoods.com/alpine_...now_conditions

Dave
Old 01-02-2020, 08:07 AM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Holiday / Vacation Week

Usually avoid the crowd as I had a serious accident a decade ago when someone ran into me from the rear. I had my left humorus shattered into 13 pieces!
Also someone ran into me while I was waiting in the lift line resulting a coma for two days and massive migraines for years! I'm fine now.
Both happens in peak periods. So I avoid the crowds.
Due to advance snowmaking, I think you will find conditions surprisingly delightful at most ski areas. Gunstock been phenomenal in the past few years!
I ski at Gunstock weekdays and occasionally ski Cannon and WV. Usually spend a month at Bridger Bowl in Bozeman.
Haven't been to Bretton Woods in decades. Would like to spend a day there if its not busy. I hear it is crowded yet the conditions are great!
Old 02-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Hey, here's a good article with a lot of photos about snow-making ...... 'How Killington Makes its Snow' ....... Feb 21, NY Times.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:08 PM   #6
betterthanbacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Hey, here's a good article with a lot of photos about snow-making ...... 'How Killington Makes its Snow' ....... Feb 21, NY Times.
We love Lake Winni in the summer but Killington is our home. Killingtons snow making capabilities are outstanding which is why they are the first to open and last to close in the East. Picked up 7 inches today and still snowing. Put the new fresh on top of all the man made....Tomorrow is going to be a really good ski day.
betterthanbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:19 AM   #7
fatlazyless

Default ..... real snow is here!

Monday, April 27, 2020; hey there yo-yo-yo, check this out, on the www.waterville.com/cams ...... winter is back ..... the ground there at the bottom of the slopes has 2-4" of wet slushy new natural snow ..... is real natural snow, not to be confused with powered water and cold temps, generated expensive granulated ice pellets, "snow" cover.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:13 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Default ....... pray for snow!

Tuesday, December 1, 2020: 58-degrees and it has been raining very heavy throughout the last 18-hours with something like two or three inches of rainfall.

Enough rain so the 7-acre Corcoran's Pond, owned by the town, had three 4x8' sheets of heavy plywood held in place by about 5 steel pipes-each, five foot length, get knocked over by the over-full lake water. The four or five 2" or 3" steel pipes were all bent over 90-degrees+ by the water. It's a type of safety dam water release buffer on the top of the concrete dam so the plywood atop the dam will break out before the concrete dam itself suffers concrete failure damage, and it did what it is supposed to do. Is highly unusual, like a 5-10-15 year event for this to happen because usually someone will remove the 4x4" outflow wood blocks when a big rainfall is imminent. The wood blocks were apparently not removed by someone, and the plywood sheets and steel pipes broke out, releasing what had to be a whole heck of a lot of water going down Snow's Brook ...... water over the dam!

There is absolutely no natural snow cover on the ground anywhere, around here, and this www.waterville.com/cams is what it looks like after what was probably the warmest, no-snow-month of November for the last 11,000-years.
.................................................. ..................................

Saturday, Dec 5: Way-to-go Waterville Valley DPW ...... am very surprised to see the three washed-out upper dam panels have been totally repaired, and a dam good repair job it is, too ..... w/ same plywood, new plastic and new pipes. Was expecting the pond to be three feet below level for the entire winter but the water level is already pretty much back to where it should be. A ready to work dpw is a BIG IMPORTANT SERVICE for any town.
.................................................. ........................

Everybody ......... Pray for Snow! ...... so the Waterville parking lots will become filled with BMW's w/ Massachusetts license plates ....... Massachusetts - BMW big money ....... bring it here! ....... the skiing will soon be "totally excellent!"

Friday, Dec 4, 2020; 8:48-am, 38-degrees and overcast dark gray sky: Waterville opens, first day of the ski season, am seeing a few people with skis walking around and riding the chairlift in the moving webcam shot.

www.waterville.com/snow-report-maps The snow report from the ski area shows the temperature as 29-degrees and partly sunny while my thermometer, a mercury outside window mount about 1.5-miles from the ski area shows it as 38-degrees and very gray, total cloudy sky above Mt Tecumseh ..... so's who you gonna believe, here!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-06-2020 at 07:53 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:18 PM   #9
fatlazyless

Exclamation ...... WV electric power outage

From about 10:22 to 11:55 this morning, Saturday January 16, 2021, the electric power was down here in Waterville Valley most likely due to the wet, slushy snowfall and 20-mph wind. It was a somewhat busy day for this pandemic ski season with a pretty good number of skiers/riders hitting the slopes.

Apparently the two running chairlifts must have a back-up generator or something so's it can slowly unload everyone on the lifts when the power is down before it is closed to use.

It's 12:17 now and the lifts still are not running despite the local power having come back on at 11:55. Do not know why?

Talk about bad timing for the ski lifts and the power to go down, 10:22 - 11:55-am is like totally prime time on a holiday Saturday during this pandemic ski season. The timing for this Saturday shut-down and all could not get too much worse.

Oh well ...... there's always cross country skiing or hiking all the WMNF trails all around here as opposed to skiing a $102 non-refundable lift ticket. Got to wonder if that is totally true about being non-refundable?

And, thanks to a large back-up generator the town water system never ever stops working so the sink and the toilet will always have running water.

12:28: .... and the two lifts are running again. Looks like very few skiers/riders out there on the slopes so's people probably left, or something.

The temp here right now is 34 at altitude-1800' and the Forum weather page says it is 37 at Weirs Beach where it looks like it is raining, lightly, in Wolfeboro.

From the Town of Wolfeboro, Abenaki Ski Area website it says in red letters: "Saturday, January 16 - Abenaki Ski Area is closed today due to the combination of warm temperatures and rain. As much as we want to be open today, we do not want to compromise the base of snow we have to ensure we can continue skiing for the remainder of the year. We will re-open tomorrow Sunday, January 17th."

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-16-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:28 PM   #10
FlyingScot

Quote:
Oh well ...... there's always cross country skiing or hiking all the WMNF trails all around here as opposed to skiing a $102 non-refundable lift ticket. Got to wonder if that is totally true about being non-refundable?
Bummer. If I lost hours due to lifts being down, and the mountain told me to pound sand, I'd dispute the charge with the credit card company. Takes just a few minutes online or on the phone. The cardholder wins almost every time.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:51 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Default Gunstock, Cannon, WV

The skiing has been great for what the weather was worth.

I notice the crowd is up weekdays post-COVID. And the crowd is down on weekends.

I avoid the Panorama lift at Gunstock. People are not adhering to COVID restrictions. Cannon enforced the restrictions. WV skiers are more forgiven.

It would not surprise me if sales are better than expected at the resorts.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:27 PM   #12
Winni P

Default Disagree - not our experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The skiing has been great for what the weather was worth.

I avoid the Panorama lift at Gunstock. People are not adhering to COVID restrictions. Cannon enforced the restrictions. WV skiers are more forgiven.
Wow, I am surprised at your Gunstock statement as that has not been our experience. We have been multiple times and thought the staff was doing a good job reminding people to pull their masks up. It's unfortunate that it is their responsibility to remind people to mask up as people should be responsible for their own actions to help protect our ski season. The majority of the skiers we saw were masked up both on weekends and mid-week.
Winni P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:27 PM   #13
GregW11

This month, I’ve skied Cannon and Gunstock (weekdays only). At both areas, mask compliance in the lift lines has been excellent. There has been some crowding around the Panorama lift at Gunstock which seems to grow to a steady rate to about 11:00. Even then, the lines are not long by traditional standards, but for an old geezer like me with comorbitities, it becomes uncomfortable and I either move to the other lifts (which have generally been uncrowded) or I just go home and soak my weary bones.

Cannon today was great. No lines and they have a lot more snow up there. Some scratchy places in high traffic areas, but still very good conditions for Cannon.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
GregW11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:38 AM   #14
fatlazyless

Sunday, January 24, 2021, 10:40-am: Waterville Valley has temperature about 13-degrees and winds 10-20 with big gusts up to 30-mph.

The White's Peak main 4-seater quad lift is closed due to the wind.

The Valley Run 4-seater quad is running, is in use, with skiers/riders lined up to use it.

The Green Peak 3-seater lift has yet to run so far, this ski season.

Is WINDYVILLE VALLEY a happening name, or what, it sho 'nuf is windy out there, right now. .....
Old 01-24-2021, 11:16 AM   #15
FlyingScot

Sunapee and Wachusett (in Mass) have both been great for mask compliance
Old 02-13-2021, 02:36 PM   #16
betterthanbacon

Default The snow is so good right now

The skiing is extremely good right now. The snow is so good it gives you a huge desire for more and more. I cant remember when the skiing in New England has been this consistently great. If you ski and have not been out, get out there before Mother Nature takes it all away from us.
I wish all of our winters could be like this one.
Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!!
betterthanbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:07 PM   #17
fatlazyless

Default 1st snow: November 3, 2021; 4-pm

About 33-degrees and snowing kinda heavy here ..... no kidding! ....

www.waterville.com/cams ....

Exactly, what is this white stuff and what the h... happened to summer? .....

Doesn't that web cam shot, just off to the left there, look like a great location for a new luxurious hotel or what! ... a great big welcome to Hotel Waterville! ... ... in partnership with the White Mountain National Forest.

... build a road! ...

So, what's new at Waterville Valley?

Well, this item about removing the staircase in the main base lodge caught my eye. The November 1, 2021 Waterville Valley Wig Wag, a local monthly newspaper, has two paragraphs talking about the lodges in its front page report 'What will skiing look like this year?'

Lodges

"The base lodge is going through another renovation this year. The stairs to the second floor have been removed due to their age, but also to make more room on the bottom floor. This year the bottom floor can be used to boot up and place belongings into one of the 200 new lockers. Additionally, the resort is installing 100 day-use lockers into Top Dog Rental Shop. You rent a locker for a day and can open it several times a day. Seasonal locker rentals will be available again this season and can be found on the lower level of Top Dog Rental Shop. If all the lockers are full, belongings can be stored at a bag-check in guest services. Both of these are for-fee services.

Once booted up, you return outside to access the ski lifts. Second floor access is only via the courtyard doors or by the carpet lifts. There is no storage space on the second and third floor and all the cubbies have been removed. These two floors are for warmup and food service only."

So, what the heck does this all mean and how will it be different from last year? I do not really get it, especially about removing the staircase, and "Second floor access is only via the courtyard doors or by carpet lifts." ..... like, what is up with this? This removing a staircase seems at least a wee bit unusual? It sounds like maybe they removed the staircase to get additional room for PAY rental lockers on the first floor of the main base lodge, and the FREEBIE, open cubby wooden storage cubes in the second floor table eating area have been REMOVED.

If this staircase is the one that I think it is, then it was a very wide, large, and central staircase going from the bottom level to the second main level, and removing it will definitely change the functionality of the base lodge. Removing the main entry staircase is/was, has to be a major change to the base lodge so this is a big change.

On October 20, 2019, McDude posted a message with two photographs showing the old Waterville Valley base lodge, and the newer renovated base lodge in a general discussion thread titled "Turning something that was once nice into ..."

Say ....... hey ....... bring back all the old wood-working and lumber-jack tools of 125-years ago that used to be displayed on the walls of the second floor eating area. .....

So ....... after 55-years of use from November 1966 to November 2021 the free storage cubbies on the side wall of the second floor dining room have been removed and replaced with pay storage on the floor below, the first floor. These plywood bins got a lot of use as storage drops for shoes, extra clothes, and brown bag lunches and snacks and they were right there, close to the dining room/cafeteria tables. Must have been one of Tom Corcoran's ideas for storage from 1966 and they got a lot of good use over the years.

Me-thinks the numbers-cruncher upstairs at Team Sununu maybe saw a problem with the 2nd floor cafeteria free storage bins facilitating all those brown bag lunches and skiers enjoying their peanut butter and jam on whole wheat bread as opposed to paying for a nine-dollar cheeseburger. This was a problem-o that needed to get fixed so the staircase was removed! ...

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-05-2021 at 04:55 AM.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:59 AM   #18
mswlogo

Quote:
Usually avoid the crowd as I had a serious accident a decade ago when someone ran into me from the rear. I had my left humorus shattered into 13 pieces!
Also someone ran into me while I was waiting in the lift line resulting a coma for two days and massive migraines for years! I'm fine now.
Both happens in peak periods. So I avoid the crowds.
Due to advance snowmaking, I think you will find conditions surprisingly delightful at most ski areas. Gunstock been phenomenal in the past few years!
I ski at Gunstock weekdays and occasionally ski Cannon and WV. Usually spend a month at Bridger Bowl in Bozeman.
Haven't been to Bretton Woods in decades. Would like to spend a day there if its not busy. I hear it is crowded yet the conditions are great!
Yeah to many crazy’s. My daughter got hit while we were at the lodge at Loon. Lucky not to serious. Then a friend got his face mangled by another skier. And another friend had an accident (his own fault as far as I know) he was parallelized and died a few years later. We switched to cross country on the lake and near by trails. Better exercise, warmer and much cheaper
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (11-04-2021), trfour (11-04-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 09:40 AM   #19
fatlazyless

The Eighty-Eight Dollar, Super Senior, Cannon/Gunstock 2021-2022 lift ticket , super special deal partially (Gunstock) expires on November 30.

Cannon Mountain has a projected opening day for Friday, December 3, 2021.

New Hampshire resident skiers age-65 and older are eligible for a free lift ticket at Cannon Mt on Mondays to Fridays that can be picked up at Notchview Guest Services (NH-RSA 218:5c). Proof of residency is required and it MUST be reserved ON-LINE even though they are free. Must present ID upon arrival at Notchview Guest Services. For a $39-processing fee, seniors can get a photo i.d. pass good for the season and forgo the required on-line reservation and daily, Mon-Fri visit to Notchview Guest Services.

So, are you a real resident, or just a phony-baloney resident who's really from Methuen, Massachusetts? .....

Gunstock Mountain has a projected opening day for Friday, December 10, 2021.

If you are age-70+ like me, November 30 is the last day to take advantage of their super low price-$49 Gunstock super steal-of-a-deal $49 Golden Winter Prime(70+) ski pass that is the #1 highest level ski pass at Gunstock .... good for every day; weekends and holidays included, google 'Gunstock Mountain winter prime pass' to check it out .... if you want to finally give Gunstock a try for the first time since 1965, or something!

So, I have not skied here since 1965 and definitely want to ride that Poma platter pull lift ..... once again ..... where is it! .... and don't tell me it got replaced by an overly luxurious chair lift about 35-years ago! .....

Waterville Valley has no projected opening day and it says "Opening soon for snow reports".

The Waterville Valley Value Pass: good on Sunday to Friday, excludes Christmas, Saturday December 25 to New Years Day, Saturday January 1, Martin Luther King weekend-January 16-17-18, and February-Massachusetts ski vacation week, February 19-27. For Seniors, ages 65 to 79, it costs $620, SIX HUNDRED and TWENTY DOLLARS when purchased after October 12, 2021.

It is unclear to me whether or not Sunday, January 2, 2022 is included or excluded with their Waterville Valley Seniors, age 65-79, $620-Value Pass? .....

Cannon and Gunstock are 62.3-miles apart via Route 93 with a driving time of one hour and nine minutes. If I do this before November 30 when the Gunstock offer expires, I can ski both Gunstock and Cannon all the long winter for just EIGHTY-EIGHT dollars total, as a senior, aged 70 ....... weeooooooo ....... ...... hubba-hubba ..... such a great deal coming from Belknap County-Gunstock and the State of New Hampshire-Cannon.

At 62.3-miles and eighty-eight dollars ....... it's the Gilford NH to Franconia NH downhill ski, $88-connection ....... HOO-YAH! ........ a super steal of a deal .... ....... eighty-eight dollars!

Gunstock: base elevation-867', summit elevation-2267', vertical drop-1400' with a big skier's view on nearby Lake Winnipesaukee, surface elevation-504'
'Epic Day skiing at Gunstock in Gilford NH': Monday; January 11 2021, 11:50; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H2_MHoJ2-Q
'Gunstock Ski Trail Guide-Upper Trigger into Middle Trigger and Lower Recoil; Saturday, February 16, 2019, 4:49; www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5oDM0rKMZ8

Cannon: base elevation-1850', summit elevation-4180', vertical drop-2330' with a big skier's view on nearby Mount Lafayette, summit elevation-5249'
'Cannon Mountain Ski Resort, Franconia NH 2/20/21': Saturday, 3:00; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4t6zLKTDME&t=73s
'Cannon-Kinsman Glades (Disaster Style): Saturday, February 22 2020, 7:50; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04-bsvju-HM

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-22-2021 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:23 PM   #20
mswlogo

Drove past Canon today Nov 21, 2021.

Mix of grass and snow on almost all slopes (viewed from 93, if I recall those are expert slopes with no snow making)
Dusting along the highway.

Here is a photo of Canon from Polly's view point.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...6989c_5k_d.jpg
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:09 AM   #21
BroadHopper

Default Gunstock Cannon

Just for clarification, Cannon NH resident senior pass is M-F only for $39. Gunstock senior pass is any day in the season for $49. This year the BFF pass is excluded.

With the Cannon pass, I was able to secure an Indy Pass for $129 before prices went up. The pass allows two days at any Independent ski area in the US. I'm planning on a couple of days at WV and Saddleback.

Gunstock has no plans to join the Indy pass.

BTW, Gunstock had a great year. It was obvious as it was busy mid-week. They predict it will be busier this season. Looks like I will be skiing elsewhere after all! I hate crowds!
Old 11-23-2021, 11:51 AM   #22
fatlazyless

Quote:
Just for clarification, Gunstock senior pass is any day in the season for $49. This year the BFF pass is excluded.
I have no clue as to what the BFF pass was or is?

https://www.gunstock.com/on-snow/nor...dic-trail-map/

And, Tuesday Nov 30 is the last day to buy this $49 Gunstock everything pass. Most ski areas allow you to use snow shoes on their xc-trails as long as you stay off to the side edges. What the heck, 4"-wide fat tire bicycles now get rented out by some ski areas for use on their x-c ski trails?
Old 11-24-2021, 06:01 AM   #23
fatlazyless

Is 20-degrees, about 1/2" or less snow fell here yesterday, late afternoon, and there's headlights from two snow vehicles up there on Mt Tecumseh's Upper Bobby's and Utter Abandon trails. So, it looks like the first night for snow making at Waterville Valley is happening right now ...... think snow!

Back in 2010, the first year for Team Sununu, they actually ran the snow guns on the night of November 1 probably thinking it was totally doable until it all melted a day or two, later ...... oh well ...... today is Wednesday, November 24, I think!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-25-2021 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:30 AM   #24
fatlazyless

Default NOV 29 & 30 last chance $50 seniors Gunstock ski pass

Maybe it's it just my political leaning but the intimidation factor created by local Gilford-Meredith State Rep Norm Silber could maybe be the demise, next year, for this super low priced Gunstock $50 senior ski pass for age 70+ skiers which now includes myself.

Will the $50 everything, everyday ski pass still be here next year? What do you think?

Anyway, it's here right now for this winter, and today and tomorrow, Nov 29 & 30 are the last days for purchasing it for 50-bucks ...... eh ..... make that $49 .....even lower.

Google "Gunstock Mountain winter prime pass" to see what's what.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:19 PM   #25
John Mercier

I don't think so.
Silber is trying to promote the belief that should Gunstock be privatized that more money would be sent to Gilford and thus save Gilford taxpayers some money.
Since the property would always be owned by the County, and the County would not be willing to pay any more toward Gilford than it doe now... and the other members of the delegation have their own municipalities to answer to that are going to want that money.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:55 AM   #26
fatlazyless

Hey there ........today is Dec 4 opening day, 1st day this winter, www.waterville.com/cams, and the price for a one day lift ticket is $55., age 18-65.

Is it worth it or are you better off heading over to the nearby Livermore parking area, a one mile drive north of the ski area, and hitting the Livermore Rd for cross country skiing or walking/hiking or pedaling a mountain bike on the natural snow covered road-trail. "The area of Livermore is now an unincorporated civil township and ghost town, inhabited roughly from 1870-1930 where most of the logging was done in the winter by transient men. (Wikipedia)"

While the Livermore Rd is immediately close to the Waterville xc trail system, it is a U.S. Forest Service multi-use trail and it costs $5/car/day or a WMNF window $30-sticker/year to pahk your cahr, there, and hit that Livermore Rd-trail.

The Livermore parking lot seems to attract a lot of locals and people up from Massachusetts who know where to go plus it has a good view of the ski trails on nearby Mt Tecumseh-Waterville Valley ski area from about one mile distance, looking upward. ........http://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/ne...ore-road-trail ...... 219 photos along Livermore Rd/trail

Dec 14, 2021: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/14/t...ki-resort.html ...... ".... so much uncertainty"

Dec 15, 2021: Nat'l Weather Svce for Waterville Valley-03215; predicted high-49, low-36 with chance of showers .... and the price for a one day lift ticket is $65., age 18-65

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-16-2021 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:51 AM   #27
fatlazyless

Saturday, January 8, 2022: www.skinh.com reports the famous Wildcat Ski Area ... aka 'the Cat' ...... http://www.skiwildcat.com/the-mounta...tain-cams.aspx has just eight out of its 48 trails now open. A lift ticket costs $99.

So, if you go to Wildcat maybe you want to load up your car with fresh snow from southern NH and bring snow to Wildcat trails. .... .... which has 1/6 of their trails open, and 5/6 of their trails are closed ..... 5/6 closed! ...

Today is a very sunny Saturday with single digit temps, just a small number open ski trails on Wildcat, but what a super view across to Mount Washington with Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines .... https://www.mountwashington.org/prem...s/ravines.aspx ... today's Mt W cam shot is brite blue, sunny, not a single cloud ..... like a publicity promo, best shot.

A great day to go do a short planned day hike, on a trail in the huge forested mountain area ..... www.fs.usda.gov/whitemountain .... and say goodbye to the crowds of skiers.

Supposedly, Wildcat's lack of snow problem has to do with their old snowmaking system and with all the snowmaking employees banding together and walking off the job for unknown reason? So, what's up with Wildcat ...... anyone know? See 'Tough early sledding for Vail at Attitash, Wildcat' .... Jan 5, 2022: Conway Daily Sun.

Dec 31, 2021: The Colorado Sun; 'Epic crowds are colliding with epic labor shortages at ski areas' ...... www.epicliftlines.com

Saturday, January 8, noon: Wildcat ski area, Gorham NH-Snowcat triple chair injury; https://www.necn.com/news/local/man-...ntain/2649049/ ... "expect to close chairlift for about one week" while it is inspected by NH Fire Marshal-Tramway & Amusement Ride Safety

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-09-2022 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-01-2022, 06:06 AM   #28
fatlazyless

Friday, April 1, 2022: www.waterville.com/cams ..... has been raining pretty hard all night with temp at 40-degrees.

Looking at the cam shot, what you see? You see right now, a large yellow excavator digging snow out from a tree shaded, side area, just above the chairlift with a snow groomer nearby.

What's going on here? Have never seen this done with an excavator like this? It appears that Waterville Valley is MINING for SNOW .... apparently to find snow to fill in all the ground with NO snow that surrounds the bottom terminal area of their chair lift so it can be used this weekend ..... or something!???

So, how about that ..... is most unusual ..... and that's no April 1 joke ...... ha-ha-ha! .....

Maybe the quik-fix solution is ground up, white styrofoam for when the man-made snow has melted away ..... you know the stuff used to make cheapie coffee cups ..... and spread it across the brown ground to replace the needed snow .... as a quik-fix .... shredded styrofoam to the rescue! ....
Old 04-10-2022, 07:47 AM   #29
fatlazyless

Sunday, April 10, 2022: last day of skiing is today at Waterville Valley and the web cam shot shows the main quad lift now has NO cable, and NO 4-seat chairs as these have been removed. A completely new six-seat chairlift will be replacing the existing four-seat lift that was installed in 1988, when it replaced a two-seat lift that was installed in 1966 when the ski area opened.

www.waterville.com/cams ... live cam

The Waterville Valley CovidChair: with six seats and a large plexiglass flip-down cover to enclose and protect the six occupants from the wind, it seems like a good ride for catching a virus. The Corona virus thrives in a cold dry environment like an ice hockey rink so this is something to think about before getting aboard this new six seat, chairlift. .... .... and rots-O-ruck with it! ...

www.waterville.com/new-lift-updates .... new six person chairlift with a bubble

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-10-2022 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Correction; changed 1987 to 1988
Old 04-10-2022, 02:20 PM   #30
FlyingScot

Quote:
Sunday, April 10, 2022: last day of skiing is today at Waterville Valley and the web cam shot shows the main quad lift now has NO cable, and NO 4-seat chairs as these have been removed. A completely new six-seat chairlift will be replacing the existing four-seat lift that was installed in 1987, when it replaced a two-seat lift that was installed in 1966 when the ski area opened.

www.waterville.com/cams ... live cam

The Waterville Valley CovidChair: with six seats and a large plexiglass flip-down cover to enclose and protect the six occupants from the wind, it seems like a good ride for catching a virus. The Corona virus thrives in a cold dry environment like an ice hockey rink so this is something to think about before getting aboard this new six seat, chairlift. .... .... and rots-O-ruck with it! ...

www.waterville.com/new-lift-updates .... new six person chairlift with a bubble
Is it "progress" if there are 50% more people on the trail when you get to the top?
Old 04-11-2022, 09:52 AM   #31
SailinAway

Quote:
Sunday, April 10, 2022: last day of skiing is today at Waterville Valley
Any idea when the last day is at Bretton Woods? I can't find it at their website.

Update: Found it. They closed yesterday. Dang.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 01:45 PM   #32
fatlazyless

Slowly but surely, inch by inch, foot by foot, and yard by yard, this here new-fangled chairlift CABLE is slowly being installed onto the new cable towers, starting up top at the White's Peak summit area on this new six-pack bubble chairlift ...... www.waterville.com/cams .... that supposedly costs nine million dollars to build..... a big price?

All things considered, a 5000' long x 1/2" rope tow, surface lift, could be a heck of a ski lift ride back up the mountain and really put Waterville Valley on the map for installing an old rope tow. Like, rope tows made skiing much more fun riding up the rope tow lift ride than skiing back down the mountain .... ..... if you ask me ..... and this new bubble chair has way too much design technology! ...... sneer-sneer! .....

https://www.newenglandskiindustry.co...hp?storyid=926 ...... 'Waterville Valley Construction Ramps Up' ...... Waterville Valley opening day is scheduled to be 8-am, Saturday, December 3, 2022 ..... looks like Thanksgiving skiing will NOT be happening at Waterville Valley ....... will their new 6-seat, nine million dollar, enclosed bubble chair be running and usable on opening day, Dec 3 ..... or, will it be raining?

Was not too long ago, like the year 2005 and earlier that snow-making would start on Nov 1, and the ski area would open on or about Nov 15.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-20-2022 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-01-2022, 12:03 PM   #33
fatlazyless

Thursday, December 1, 2022 and it's looking and feeling maybe a little bit like winter with a temperature at 33-degrees and a very few, lonely snowflakes in the air in the aftermath of yesterday's heavy rain fall.

Hey, check out their new Waterville Valley six-seat, enclosed bubble chairlift ..... www.waterville.com/cams ..... scheduled to open for the winter on Saturday, December 3 despite the predicted rain and warm temps ...... so, wait and see what happens with that? Will it be open and operating or will it wait another week for some colder temps to be making the needed snow on the slope?
Old 12-01-2022, 08:59 PM   #34
SailinAway

Yay! Covid from strangers on a bubble lift!
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (12-02-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 09:06 PM   #35
LoveLakeLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Yay! Covid from strangers on a bubble lift!
haha No one cares anymore. The fad is long over. Take the risk, leave the house.

LoveLakeLife is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLakeLife For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (12-01-2022), TiltonBB (12-02-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 09:18 PM   #36
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
haha No one cares anymore. The fad is long over. Take the risk, leave the house.

Agreed. Covid's the new flu.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 05:15 AM   #37
fatlazyless

Friday, Dec 2, 5-am with temps at mid-20's: there's a line of snow guns making snow on the White Caps trail, top to bottom, under the new 6-seater lift so snow making is happening whenever the temperature is low enough. These snow guns were running all yesterday afternoon when it was above 32-degrees and it looked like they were spraying all water spray in anticipation of a predicted temperature drop at sundown.

A Waterville Valley decision was made to move back opening day by one week to December 10 to get through the predicted rain and warmth and hopefully all goes good with the snow cover now getting made, temperatures allowing, on the slope.

Prediction: seating six people in a small confined, tinted dark, plastic bubble enclosed chairlift for a seven minute chairlift ride will be a non-issue with regard to transmitting any airborne virus via cold dry mountain air. You can see from a distance the enclosed, 6-pak, bubble chairs on their webcam ..... www.waterville.com/cams

Time will tell?

This new Tecumseh Express 6-seater chairlift supposedly cost over nine million dollars to build it in 2021/2022.

Skiers and riders usually wear a face mask on a chairlift ride for staying warm from the wind, and now on this new 6-seater Tecumseh Express chairlift to stop the spread of the coronavirus while riding this chair inside a plastic bubble, and sharing close breathing space with up to five others. The great majority of skiers and riders are under age 30, and probably not at all concerned about it? They just want to hit the slopes. As Mad Magazine's Alford E Neuman ...... used to say ....... ....... "What, me worry?"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_phhPGuJjlg ........ Waterville Valley, snow season opening update #3: Thursday, Dec 1, 2022

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-04-2022 at 08:29 AM.