Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2023, 07:46 AM   #1
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts
Default Gunstock Commissioners

The delegation interviewed 6 applicants for the two positions. Two new Commissioners have been selected.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...ticle-nav-prev
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-21-2023), Descant (01-20-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 07:38 PM   #2
Cobaltdeadhead

I'll be curious what their positions are regarding modernizing and developing the resort.

I'm a Vail expat, having left their NH properties due to how poorly I feel they're being run plus extreme crowding due to their dirt cheap season passes.

Year two at Gunstock as pass holders with our 7 and 4 year old in seasonal programs and couldn't be happier. Gunstock runs the place almost exactly how I would if I were in charge. They make an abundance of snow when the temps allow, the staff and operations are extremely well organized and all deliver exceptional service. And the big thing is how they manage capacity such that the business hums, but it never feels overwhelming.

There are some things I like in the Master plan that was so controversial. Some seems a bit too much and could potentially really change the character to be something different from what my family has quickly grown to love.

The biggest emphasis of the master plan is more lifts, trails and a hotel to potentially increase visitation and revenue. It's what any ski business would probably choose to do given that's what the competition is doing.

My question is, rather than put out some grand plan? Why not just enhance what you have now first and see how that goes?

You feel the need for more terrain? Add snowmaking to Hot Shot and Upper Ram Rod. They ski great on natural snow, but it's such a rarity that they're open. A couple of weeks a season. Part of the Master Plan has a High Speed Quad replacing Tiger Triple and adds a trail from the top of Tiger down to Trigger. That chair plus the Ram Rod are just fine as is and actually do a great job segregating ability levels. I'd leave em and just add the new trail vs spending $5M on a new lift

But above all else, the mountain could really use more and bathrooms. That's right, if I have one complaint about the mountain, it's the bathrooms. They don't have nearly enough and what they do have are extremely small, rather dated and just not all that comfortable. Both base lodge restroom facilities need to be expanded and modernized. Will benefit both the ski business and summer business. Both buildings would likely need to add square footage to address this issue

Anyways, figured I'd share my views and who knows, maybe the commission reads this forum and my ideas inspire some plans.
Cobaltdeadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobaltdeadhead For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-30-2023), Leoskeys (01-30-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 10:20 PM   #3
John Mercier

Money.
The ''enhanced plan'' had outside investment.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:50 AM   #4
FlyingScot

Hey, Cobalt--you nailed it! The irony of "improvements" like those in the Gunstock plan is that they often make the mountain less enjoyable for longtime supporters
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-30-2023)