Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2023, 08:04 PM   #1
Cobalt 25

Default issues at State School near Paugus Bay

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/04/...nity-pressure/
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 08:31 PM   #2
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 View Post
Behind a paywall. Interesting. I didn't know anyone would pay for the Boston Globe!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
ITD (04-06-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 11:47 PM   #3
Cobalt 25

If you don't know why anyone would pay for the Boston Globe, why did you click on it?
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 05:24 AM   #4
FlyingScot

I used to grumble about the Globe--but under John Henry they have done an extraordinarily good job of maintaining local coverage while the vast majority of newspapers have just been crushed by the internet. I recommend an online subscription to anyone interested in Massachusetts, and I think they've recently increased their NH reporting. Here's the important piece Cobalt cited:

Police investigation into racist graffiti in N.H. comes months after it was reported and only after community pressure
By Amanda Gokee Globe Staff,Updated April 4, 2023, 6:11 p.m.

Laconia’s police chief said he started investigating incidents of racist graffiti on the grounds of the abandoned State School property immediately after receiving a police report in March, but records show the police department had a report on file months before the investigation began.

In a March interview, Chief Matt Canfield told the Globe the issue was brought to his attention early that month and that the Laconiapolice initiated an investigation as soon as it was reported. Canfield said the investigation would be difficult because of how old the graffiti is — it started occurring last summer on the abandoned State School property ― but some incidents were as recent as December.

Records obtained by the Globe show the graffiti was reported to the police on Dec. 25, 2022, about two months before the investigation launched. The police report said Tristan Chase reported finding racist graffiti at the school, where he works a few days a week as a groundskeeper. The state is in the process of selling the property.

Laconia Officer Beau Perras went to the State School to take the report. A pump house wall near the State School’s water tower had been tagged with a swastika and graffiti that read “Fascist 131 Zone,” according to the report and photos taken by Chase. Perras wrote that he then searched online and found it was possibly connected to the National Social Club NSC-131 based in New England. Three days later, Perras spoke with Chase and learned that the property has no surveillance cameras. With no leads on a suspect, Perras requested suspending the case until more information “is forthcoming.”

The police department had no reports on record from Lois Kessin, a Jewish resident of Laconia who has been pushing the town to hold the vandals accountable. In March, Kessin told the Globe she had reported the incident to the police in February.

Canfield did not respond to a request for comment on the Dec. 25 police report and the timing of the police investigation. Mayor Andrew Hosmer could not immediately be reached for comment.

David Stamps, the chair of Laconia’s Human Relations Committee, said he isn’t aware of additional graffiti incidents in Laconia since the investigation launched. The committee is working with Temple B’nai Israel on a Holocaust remembrance event May 6 at The Congregational Church of Laconia.

“I had a conversation with the chief and supposedly they’re going to take the next report that comes in a little more seriously,” Stamp said.

Amanda Gokee can be reached at amanda.gokee@globe.com.Follow her on Twitter @amanda_gokee.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Senter Cove Guy (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 06:27 AM   #5
John Mercier

Daily Sun carried an article on it weeks ago.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2023, 07:29 AM   #6
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

What a surprise that the Globe sees a racist behind every tree.
I really don't think any organized group would trudge up to the State School and paint graffiti where no one would be likely to see it.
Pretty clear that it was just some bored kids trying to stir the adults up.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Descant (04-05-2023), farechofisherman (04-05-2023), Longtimelurker (04-06-2023), Seaplane Pilot (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 07:30 AM   #7
TiltonBB

Quote:
If you don't know why anyone would pay for the Boston Globe, why did you click on it?
I would give a complete answer but that type of discussion is not what this site is for. I clicked on the link quickly before I noticed it was from the Boston Globe Democrat. My bad!

However, I will say that I lost interest in the Globe and questioned it's credibility when they fired long time columnist Mike Barnicle for his dishonesty, and it went downhill from there.

End of discussion.
Old 04-05-2023, 07:33 AM   #8
Major

Quote:
Probably because Tilton thought he didn't have to pay to read a news article.

Although I haven't been following this story, to the best of my knowledge they haven't caught the perpetrator. My first reaction when I read the story in the LDS was that it was a fake hate crime.

Unfortunately, the demand for stories about and examples of racism far exceeds its supply. Our media is quick to eat this stuff up. It is designed to further divide us, which makes for great copy.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
ApS (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 10:56 AM   #9
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post

Although I haven't been following this story, to the best of my knowledge they haven't caught the perpetrator. My first reaction when I read the story in the LDS was that it was a fake hate crime.

Unfortunately, the demand for stories about and examples of racism far exceeds its supply. Our media is quick to eat this stuff up. It is designed to further divide us, which makes for great copy.
All news media is guilty of this, whether it leans right or left!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 11:01 AM   #10
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
All news media is guilty of this, whether it leans right or left!
I don't disagree!
Old 04-05-2023, 12:31 PM   #11
WinnisquamZ

The story should be the recent purchaser of the LSS just got their Manchester property foreclosed on yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 12:49 PM   #12
garysanfran

I worked on The Globe city desk, both PM and AM editions from 1972-1976.

I was a "Globule" during Watergate. One of the most incredible experiences of my life. I never wanted to go home.

Tom Winship was editor. For six months I worked directly for him and was able to do some writing...Music reviews (Watkins Glen 1973, James Montgomery, Aerosmith, etc), editorials and an occasional obituary.

I am fortunate I chose to alter my career path. Back in the days of Woodward & Bernstein. journalism was a noble career. Not so much anymore.

Today, the front page of The Globe is far too WOKE for me. It makes me angry.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
ApS (04-05-2023), Longtimelurker (04-06-2023), TiltonBB (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 01:25 PM   #13
Cobalt 12
Banned

San Francisco, Detroit, Chicago, New York, Downtown Philly, Seattle will all be in the Lakes Region, and controlling it, with-in the next 3 years. Bend over and grab your boot straps, it's coming and their is No denying it. WOULD not of happen with one particular fella, but with this one...... YOU know what's coming. Those 5.7 Million Illegal Aliens need to go somewhere. What's better then taking over and living on Governor's island, and surrounding Summer attraction area. Wolfeboro will go vacant with because of them. I'm not looking forward to it, BUT will wait for it to happen. Just a matter of time. May GOD BLESS US ALL.

Even people with Green Doors.
Cobalt 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 01:43 PM   #14
garysanfran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 12 View Post
San Francisco, Detroit, Chicago, New York, Downtown Philly, Seattle will all be in the Lakes Region, and controlling it, with-in the next 3 years. Bend over and grab your boot straps, it's coming and their is No denying it. WOULD not of happen with one particular fella, but with this one...... YOU know what's coming. Those 5.7 Million Illegal Aliens need to go somewhere. What's better then taking over and living on Governor's island, and surrounding Summer attraction area. Wolfeboro will go vacant with because of them. I'm not looking forward to it, BUT will wait for it to happen. Just a matter of time. May GOD BLESS US ALL.

Add Boston and Minneapolis
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
Cobalt 12 (04-10-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 03:19 PM   #15
John Mercier

It would always happen.
People move to where they expect a better life.
The reason that the area is so active.

Capitalistic tendencies will always reign supreme.

What we expect to see is the changing of the guard... Millennials replacing Boomers over the next several years as the dominant socio-economic force.
Old 04-05-2023, 03:47 PM   #16
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 12 View Post

Massachusetts already has laws that multi family low income housing can override local zoning. People are buying property in upper class towns to tear down and build low income housing. So you work all your life to afford a nice place in a nice community and then.....Whoops! There goes the neighborhood!
Old 04-05-2023, 05:36 PM   #17
ApS

Thumbs down MS-13 Is Worse...

It may come as a surprise that MS-13 "tagged" the north end of the Wolfeboro railroad station--back about 15 years. MS-13 gang members were stopped north of Wolfeboro shortly after the vandalism appeared.

It sure surprised me, as the only other MS-13 "taggings" had appeared previously on Miami's street signs and walled enclosures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I would give a complete answer but that type of discussion is not what this site is for. I clicked on the link quickly before I noticed it was from the Boston Globe Democrat. My bad. However, I will say that I lost interest in the Globe and questioned it's credibility when they fired long time columnist Mike Barnicle for his dishonesty, and it went downhill from there. End of discussion.
Mike Barnicle should have received support from his allied "newspapers", The Washington Post and LA Times, but they weren't at all supportive. Fact-checkers did their jobs back then.

It's clear that he plagiarized heavily and wrote fictionized accounts:

https://www.southcoasttoday.com/stor...l/50559403007/
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 07:28 PM   #18
Biggd

Quote:
Massachusetts already has laws that multi family low income housing can override local zoning. People are buying property in upper class towns to tear down and build low income housing. So you work all your life to afford a nice place in a nice community and then.....Whoops! There goes the neighborhood!
I don't see many investors buying property in upper class towns to build low income housing. The only way that happens is if the town buys the property. But new projects do require a percentage of low income units to get approval, usually about 10 to 15%. As a matter of fact, most rental housing has been rehabbed into high end condos removing many rentals from the market.
The only way a new apartment complex gets built is if the numbers work. They have to rent the other 85 to 90% at top dollar prices. It's been just the opposite the past 12 years or so. Lower income areas have undergone complete rebuilding and sold at high prices driving out low income renters.
I live in Waltham which is considered a lower income city surrounded by upper class cities and towns. A typical multi family unit in Waltham sells and gets rehabbed into high end condo's selling just under a million each. Single family homes under $500K are being torn down and replaced by homes selling for 1.2 to 1.4 million.
I own a piece of industrial property that has an override for multi family housing. I could build 12 rental units giving up 2 to low income but the numbers don't work, not yet anyway.

Last edited by Biggd; 04-06-2023 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-05-2023, 08:21 PM   #19
TiltonBB

Massachusetts Chapter 40B encourage the production of affordable housing in all cities and towns. Many times developers have used it to negotiate the approval of quality affordable housing developments.

The program is controversial because the developer (a public agency, nonprofit organization or limited-dividend company) has the right to appeal an adverse local decision to the State in communities with little affordable housing (less than 10% of its year-round housing or 1.5% of its land area).

A developer appeals to the state and many times communities are forced to allow housing that does not comply with local zoning requirements and doesn't fit in with the character of the neighborhood.
Old 04-05-2023, 09:11 PM   #20
WinnisquamZ

All true about 40B, but it doesn’t assist a developer with the land purchase in which to build. That is why you never see a 40b project in the true wealthy towns

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-06-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 09:43 PM   #21
John Mercier

When they discussed ''affordable'' housing... it wasn't subsidized.

The State could move money from the ''wealthy'' towns to others simply by increasing the Educational Funding Grants and reinstating the redistribution of the SWPT.

I suspect that it will look more like SouthDown. After the war, they would do it more like Old Main Street... small lots with single family homes... but now they use high density to get the costs down and leave more continuous green space.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:10 AM   #22
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
All true about 40B, but it doesn’t assist a developer with the land purchase in which to build. That is why you never see a 40b project in the true wealthy towns

Low income housing in a wealthy town is equal to regular priced housing in many other towns. Low income in a town like Weston could be 80K where Waltham, which is right next door could be 60K.
There is no profit in building low income housing in wealthy towns, that's why it rarely happens unless it's on city or town owned property.

Last edited by Biggd; 04-06-2023 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:28 AM   #23
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Never? Lynnfield, an upper class town of about 13,000 residents 14 miles north of Boston, has two apartment complexes of over 200 units that were never allowed and wouldn't have been allowed under Lynnfield zoning until Chapter 40B became law. There are also a couple of other much smaller projects that were forced on the town.

The town had no choice but to approve these projects that did not comply with the then current zoning requirements. They have now fulfilled the 40B requirements until 2030.

If a developer cannot even afford the land for a development it is doubtful they can build anywhere without outside investors whether 40B applies or not.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:51 AM   #24
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

I often wonder why they don't develop all the abandoned shopping centers into affordable apartments. They already have water, sewer, power and parking which are key ingredients. I'm no developer but seems like it would be cost effective
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 07:58 AM   #25
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
I often wonder why they don't develop all the abandoned shopping centers into affordable apartments.They already have water, sewer, power and parking which are key ingredients. I'm no developer but seems like it would be cost effective
Most of those shopping malls are owned by hedge funds, they are in it to make money and there's not enough money in affordable housing.

Last edited by Biggd; 04-06-2023 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-06-2023, 10:01 AM   #26
Biggd

Quote:
Never? Lynnfield, an upper class town of about 13,000 residents 14 miles north of Boston, has two apartment complexes of over 200 units that were never allowed and wouldn't have been allowed under Lynnfield zoning until Chapter 40B became law. There are also a couple of other much smaller projects that were forced on the town.

The town had no choice but to approve these projects that did not comply with the then current zoning requirements. They have now fulfilled the 40B requirements until 2030.

If a developer cannot even afford the land for a development it is doubtful they can build anywhere without outside investors whether 40B applies or not.
If the apartment complex is big enough and the can make enough money on the 85 to 90% of the market rate rents then they will build it.
You make it sound like they are building "low income housing projects" in wealthy towns, which isn't happening in wealthy towns in Ma.
The average income in Ma is around 100K. Ma and NH are in the top 5 states for average income.

Last edited by Biggd; 04-06-2023 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-06-2023, 10:25 AM   #27
Woodsy

Bottom line is, you cannot have "affordable" or even workforce housing without having affordable land and affordable construction costs. Good luck finding that in the towns around the lake. The Laconia State School was a missed opportunity for that kind of development.

Woodsy
Old 04-06-2023, 10:52 AM   #28
John Mercier

LSS is being designed for that...
So it the project going in the south end.

I think the only issue was that it cannot be regulated for sale/occupancy to those under 55 (workforce).

Construction material prices have either returned to normal or are approaching a return to normal except for high-end finishes.

I think the ''issues'' at LSS are the ''secondary requirements''; those will likely be dropped should the project stall for too long.
Old 04-06-2023, 11:25 AM   #29
Woodsy

They plan to build 1900 housing units (good luck with that) on the LSS property.. Per the LDS...

"While it is the developer’s intention to build types of housing geared to a range of income levels, Trefethen stressed “this is not Section 8 or low-cost housing.”

Given current construction costs, Trefethen estimated that individual housing units could cost between $200,000 to $350,000."

No doubt those numbers have increased substantially. The developer that won the bid, just had a property go to foreclosure in Manchester.

The LSS is a missed opportunity... especially for low income types.

Woodsy
Old 04-06-2023, 11:52 AM   #30
John Mercier

Not sure when that was in the LDS...

But construction material costs have been falling...
Standard construction grade is about half the price of last year.
OSB is also back to normal... Plywood still has a way to go.
Sheetrock, plumbing, and electrical remain high... but proper design can limit those costs.

But a $200K - $350K home would fit into the current working class range for a couple in the area.
Depending on down payment, current debt load, and credit rating... it should fall between about a $65K-115K household income.
Old 04-06-2023, 12:45 PM   #31
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
If the apartment complex is big enough and the can make enough money on the 85 to 90% of the market rate rents then they will build it.
You make it sound like they are building "low income housing projects" in wealthy towns, which isn't happening in wealthy towns in Ma.
The average income in Ma is around 100K. Ma and NH are in the top 5 states for average income.
There was no zoning anywhere in Lynnfield for multi family housing. The developers that wanted large complexes had to set aside a certain number of units to be low income and that allowed the entire complex to be built. The remainder, after the low income units, could be market rate. The town didn't want them but knew with 40B they could be forced to take a certain number if it went to court.
Old 04-06-2023, 01:32 PM   #32
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default not low cost housing--

"low cost" housing like we did in the 70's is a staring point, but over time these houses get a second story added or other additions and it is no longer low cost to buy for entry level families.

We have mortgage programs for veterans. Why not make it rental assistance? I'm happy to help veterans. And getting more people to be veterans with recently increased service ages and maybe expanded reserve programs? If colleges can have ROTC then community colleges could have similar programs for welders and truck drivers and other trades that are in short supply. And nobody comes out of a CC with $50K in student loans that stifle financial advancement.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 03:27 PM   #33
LoveLakeLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
It may come as a surprise that MS-13 "tagged" the north end of the Wolfeboro railroad station--back about 15 years. MS-13 gang members were stopped north of Wolfeboro shortly after the vandalism appeared.

It sure surprised me, as the only other MS-13 "taggings" had appeared previously on Miami's street signs and walled enclosures.

Mike Barnicle should have received support from his allied "newspapers", The Washington Post and LA Times, but they weren't at all supportive. Fact-checkers did their jobs back then.

It's clear that he plagiarized heavily and wrote fictionized accounts:

https://www.southcoasttoday.com/stor...l/50559403007/
Adopting their verbiage, e.g., “tagging” just minimizes it. It’s graffiti, vandalism, trespassing. Same thing with “transitioning” for sex changes, “trans” for transsexuals, “drag green” for transvestite, “porn actress” for video prostitute, etc. lol

LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveLakeLife For This Useful Post:
ApS (04-07-2023), Cobalt 12 (04-06-2023), Hodge5 (05-17-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 03:30 PM   #34
LoveLakeLife

Quote:

Major I think you’ll agree that there should be no such thing as a hate crime. Motive is not an element of any other type of crime because it’s unconstitutional to punish thoughts. I’ve always been amazed who such laws withstand scrutiny.

The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLakeLife For This Useful Post:
Major (04-06-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 05:11 PM   #35
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
Major I think you’ll agree that there should be no such thing as a hate crime. Motive is not an element of any other type of crime because it’s unconstitutional to punish thoughts. I’ve always been amazed who such laws withstand scrutiny.

That’s an interesting aspect that I haven’t really thought of. My issue with hate crimes is that 1) how do you judge one group as being more aggrieved than another group, and 2) where is the cut off line for any group. Criminal laws are supposed to be objective, not subjective. It feeds into the notion that we have a two-tiered justice system.

I’m thinking that motive has no bearing. If it did I agree it would be problematic, not sure about unconstitutional. The issue is that we have based personal rights on a person’s affinity group. I can declare I’m gay and automatically have rights that I otherwise would not have. Criminal and civil. That doesn’t seem right to me.

Back to the original post, I have a high amount of doubt whether the graphiti was in fact a hate crime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2023, 06:24 PM   #36
Biggd

Quote:
There was no zoning anywhere in Lynnfield for multi family housing. The developers that wanted large complexes had to set aside a certain number of units to be low income and that allowed the entire complex to be built. The remainder, after the low income units, could be market rate. The town didn't want them but knew with 40B they could be forced to take a certain number if it went to court.
There is nothing wrong with requiring a small percentage to be lower income units. That doesn't equate with degrading the neighborhood or the town.
Every town needs apartments, not everyone can afford to buy a home and low income doesn't always mean government subsidies.
My oldest daughter just moved back to Waltham, which is considered an affordable city, and is paying $2600 a month for a small 1 bedroom apartment. Fortunately she is a RN in a Boston hospital making above average income.
Anyone making below 75K in metro Boston could be low income and have a very difficult time paying that rent.

Last edited by Biggd; 04-06-2023 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-06-2023, 09:09 PM   #37
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
"low cost" housing like we did in the 70's is a staring point, but over time these houses get a second story added or other additions and it is no longer low cost to buy for entry level families.

We have mortgage programs for veterans. Why not make it rental assistance? I'm happy to help veterans. And getting more people to be veterans with recently increased service ages and maybe expanded reserve programs? If colleges can have ROTC then community colleges could have similar programs for welders and truck drivers and other trades that are in short supply. And nobody comes out of a CC with $50K in student loans that stifle financial advancement.
It is less about financing than availability of product. A 5% vacancy in long term rentals is considered the norm... and a healthy supply of homes for sale should be about six months of inventory - Roche has us around 1.4

Lots of people have complained that the builders are not constructing affordable homes rather than higher end homes... but they really aren't doing any speculative homes at this time - only homes that the buyer has contracted to be built and is willing to wait for the contractor to have time to complete.
If someone contracted for an affordable home, the builder constructs it.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
Hodge5 (05-17-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 11:37 PM   #38
TFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post

So normally I go to reply to things I disagree with or find to be patently false on this forum but since I’m never logged in, the idea of actually remembering my user name and password stop me and I move on. However, reading this comment actually drove me to find my username and reset my password. To say “motive is not an element of any other crime” is incredibly incorrect. “Motive” is the difference between murder in the first degree, murder in the second degree, and manslaughter. The difference being that murder in the first degree requires “deliberate premeditation” aka motive. The thought in one’s head is the difference.

All that being said I do agree that, in general, the idea of legislating against the thoughts of citizens can be very troublesome. However we have come to the understanding, as a society, that it is required in particular circumstances.
TFP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TFP For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (04-07-2023), granitebox (04-07-2023), Newbiesaukee (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 08:15 AM   #39
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFP View Post
So normally I go to reply to things I disagree with or find to be patently false on this forum but since I’m never logged in, the idea of actually remembering my user name and password stop me and I move on. However, reading this comment actually drove me to find my username and reset my password. To say “motive is not an element of any other crime” is incredibly incorrect. “Motive” is the difference between murder in the first degree, murder in the second degree, and manslaughter. The difference being that murder in the first degree requires “deliberate premeditation” aka motive. The thought in one’s head is the difference.

All that being said I do agree that, in general, the idea of legislating against the thoughts of citizens can be very troublesome. However we have come to the understanding, as a society, that it is required in particular circumstances.
I am not a criminal attorney, but I think we are conflating "motive" with "mens rea." Every crime has some level of mens rea, which is a person's intent on committing a particular crime. I think you are correct in saying that "motive" is the difference between first degree murder and other types of homicides. However, as stated, every crime has some level of intent. Anyway, it's an interesting discussion, probably not suitable for the Forum.
Old 04-07-2023, 02:55 PM   #40
LoveLakeLife

Quote:
I am not a criminal attorney, but I think we are conflating "motive" with "mens rea." Every crime has some level of mens rea, which is a person's intent on committing a particular crime. I think you are correct in saying that "motive" is the difference between first degree murder and other types of homicides. However, as stated, every crime has some level of intent. Anyway, it's an interesting discussion, probably not suitable for the Forum.
You’re right Major. Motive vs. mens rea. Two different concepts. I’m glad the misapprehension got someone to re-up on the forum though!

Old 04-07-2023, 02:57 PM   #41
LoveLakeLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFP View Post

Welcome back TFP! It is incredibly correct for you to return!

The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLakeLife For This Useful Post:
Hodge5 (05-02-2023)