Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2017, 07:47 AM   #1
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Snowmobile fire - fire extinguishers?

Here's a link to a Union Leader item on a snowmobile fire in Wolfeboro.
Question: do you carry an extinguisher as part of your equipment when on a ride?

http://www.unionleader.com/Snowmobil...late=mobileart

Thanks

Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 12-28-2017, 08:11 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

I do not carry one as the chances of a fire occurring are slim to none. Not to mention, you have all kinds of snow you can throw on the sled if a fire should occur. Not so sure how well an extinguisher would hold up to extreme freezing temps as well. I do carry good insurance however!

Dan
Old 12-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #3
ITD

If my snowmobile catches fire, the only thing I'm doing is getting as far away from it as I can.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:07 PM   #4
Kamper

I think the advice given by my NHMP safety instructor, for PWC's, may apply here with some obvious modification.

'If you have a fire, throw your fire extinguisher into the water, then jump in after it.'

If you have a sled fire, you are probably going to need to have it dragged out regardless of it's condition. It may not be worth the risk of injury to minimize machine damage.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Thanks all. I was trying to remember back in the late 70's to the mid- late 80s snowmobiling with my dad. I remembered the tool kit, the bar to help change out the drive belt, tow straps, and for the long rides, the extra gas cans. Just couldn't remember if my super - safe dad had an extinguisher.
Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 12-28-2017, 04:38 PM   #6
sluggo

I took this picture about five years ago on the crossing the broads. bad day for this guy !
Attached Images

sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:12 PM   #7
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Here's a link to a Union Leader item on a snowmobile fire in Wolfeboro.
Question: do you carry an extinguisher as part of your equipment when on a ride?

http://www.unionleader.com/Snowmobil...late=mobileart
[/URL]
Personally, I have never understood the whole fire extinguisher safety equipment requirement. Unless I am in my kitchen cooking and a minor fire occurs, I am OUT OF THERE, and taking everyone else with me.

If a fire occurs in a situation such as a snowmobile, car or even a boat that is much above a smoldering mess, it's time to beat feet. Be safe and let the professionals put it out. As was said above, that is what insurance if for.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:02 PM   #8
Lakegeezer

Default A fire story

My sled caught fire because the brakes were sticking and things got hot. The flames in the engine started shortly after pulling into my shed, where there are several cans of gas, along with lots of "stuff". I ran to the house, grabbed a fire extinguisher from the kitchen and was amazed how fast it put out the fire. While yanking the sled out of the shed, the flames started up again and required another blast of the extinguisher. A total of less than a minute of flames, yet the 2-stroke oil reservoir and coolant hoses melted and emptied fluid into the yard. A lucky day in many respects. Now, there is an extinguisher in the shed, where it always should have been. Running away that day would have meant losing the shed and maybe the house, so the early stages fire fight was worth it. I gained a new respect for fire extinguishers and traded that 2-stroke stinker for a purring 4-stroke.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:30 AM   #9
ultrarider

If these machines are going to start going up in flames, than the manufacturers should start putting extinguishers in with the tool kits as standard equipment.
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:30 AM   #10
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I've run across several sled fires on the trails over the years, it's just as easy and if you think about it equally as dangerous to throw snow on them as it is to try to use a fire extinguisher on them.

Thing is a fire extinguisher is bulky to carry for starters and in a crash situation depending on where it is could be ruptured and that could be dangerous let alone explosive as well.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:12 AM   #11
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
If my snowmobile catches fire, the only thing I'm doing is getting as far away from it as I can.
And calling my insurance agent!
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #12
dippasan

Default My trail side cookout last year

My sled caught fire last March in the Carrabassett Valley in Maine. My wife and I had just filled up with fuel. That being said there was NO WAY I was going to make any attempt to put it out. I did not want to get close to it. We knew that once the gas tank was breached it would get bad and it did.
The heat was so intense it started to make the trail side trees smolder a bit. We backed away 50' or so and watched it go up in disbelief. It was gone in an hour. The only thing left was the engine, some suspension parts and 108 pics.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2018, 09:15 AM   #13
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippasan View Post
My sled caught fire last March in the Carrabassett Valley in Maine. My wife and I had just filled up with fuel. That being said there was NO WAY I was going to make any attempt to put it out. I did not want to get close to it. We knew that once the gas tank was breached it would get bad and it did.
The heat was so intense it started to make the trail side trees smolder a bit. We backed away 50' or so and watched it go up in disbelief. It was gone in an hour. The only thing left was the engine, some suspension parts and 108 pics.
Ouch, that hurts to see. Do you know what caused it?
Old 01-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #14
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarider View Post
If these machines are going to start going up in flames, than the manufacturers should start putting extinguishers in with the tool kits as standard equipment.
Cars go up in flames sometimes too. Do the car manufacturers put fire extinguishers in them?
Old 01-10-2018, 07:48 AM   #15
dippasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Ouch, that hurts to see. Do you know what caused it?
I can't really say for sure what caused it but I think the engine went into a lean condition and melted piston/cylinder. The flames shooting out the right side while I was riding melted my snow pants and boot. If the fuel filter on the injected sleds gets clogged the engine goes very lean. Lean means very hot which is catastrophic for a 2 stroke. It definitely was not the brakes being locked on as some think.
On another note I bought a Ski doo 800 etec this year to try something different. Not happy.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:32 AM   #16
ApS

Thumbs up Just Something to Live With...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I've run across several sled fires on the trails over the years, it's just as easy and if you think about it equally as dangerous to throw snow on them as it is to try to use a fire extinguisher on them. Thing is a fire extinguisher is bulky to carry for starters and in a crash situation depending on where it is could be ruptured and that could be dangerous let alone explosive as well.
As posted 12 years ago here, I've personally put out two vehicle fires. (And carry the extinguisher on the car's floor, just ahead of the passenger's seat).

If you've got one that's about to expire, practice spraying on an existing outdoor fire. They're surprisingly effective—just aim at the base of the flames.

A recent NH fire incident had a paramedic soak a trapped driver using a 2-liter bottle of Coca-Cola—shaken.

(Quite possibly saving her life).

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:59 AM   #17
ultrarider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarider View Post
I was being sarcastic.
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:47 AM   #18
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Amen, brother.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:59 AM   #19
ApS

Wink There's a Thought Process Involved...

'Not trying to out-do FLL, but thought I'd archive a forum quote from a few years back.

This quote actually has little to do with fire extinguishers!

Quote:
"Thus, I can tell you how it feels when you’ve lived a completely fire extinguisher-free life, and suddenly have a fire extinguisher under your roof. Your instincts tell you: we don’t need it. It’s threatening. Fires happen to people who own fire extinguishers."
Socrates would've approved.