Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
dpg

Default Residency

Is it really that difficult to claim residency in NH but remain in Mass? I understand you "technically" need to be there so much of the year or something like that. But who actually will/would look into this and if we're really there? I think I understand what needs to be done like receiving mail up there, etc. Have personal reasons to consider this not looking to take anyone in taxes or anything like that.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
AC2717

Default add on

Yes, how is it possible I can register my boat in NH but not my car in MA? By the way the registration for the boat gets mailed to my MA location?
Old 09-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #3
NightWing

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/.../21/21-6-a.htm

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/I/21/21-6.htm
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
VitaBene

Thanked 1,609 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
Yes, how is it possible I can register my boat in NH but not my car in MA? By the way the registration for the boat gets mailed to my MA location?
If I understood your question properly, you can register your vehicle in NH (car, bike, RV) as a non-resident but it is supposed to stay in the state for 350 days a year. My motorcycle is registered in NH as it stays here but my other vehicles are not because they are out of state more than 15 days. Keep in mind if you push the 15 days you will likely get caught- it is generally from your neighbors at home who are not happy with you not paying excise taxes, getting lower insurance rates, etc!

Even though I can legally claim NH residency, I have opted not to at this point- it would mess with my license to carry in MA (difficult to get) and other things.

261:46 Nonresident Registration.

Notwithstanding RSA 261:45, a nonresident who garages a vehicle primarily in this state may register such vehicle in this state as a nonresident. A vehicle is garaged primarily in this state if it is garaged in this state for at least 350 days of the registration year. No exemption from the payment of a permit fee shall be granted by reason of nonresidence except by the director, who shall in all cases require proof satisfactory to him or her of residence elsewhere, and of the liability of a nonresident owner, otherwise entitled to such exemption, to pay a property tax on the vehicle for the current year in the state of his or her residence
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
kjbathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
I understand you "technically" need to be there...
There's actually very little about it that's technical -- you either live here or you don't. We can all start counting days and splitting hairs about what "domiciled" means and what your real "place of abobe" is, but it's not complicated. Even if you have 3 or 4 houses, spend 6 months here, 6 months in Florida, the question is where do you live?

That you used "there" when asking the question, seems to indicate you don't live here.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
Winnigirl83

This reminds me of a story a friend of mine told me. She lived in Methuen, MA (just over the border). They were running a "sting" at the school down the road from her house. When the parents came to school to pick up their kid(s) and had NH plates, they got nabbed.
Winnigirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
NHKathy

Default is it just me?

how is this WEATHER related???
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
Skip

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKathy View Post
Well, back to the original post, I guess it comes down to WEATHER or not you want to "technically" be a resident of this great State!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:20 PM   #9
NightWing

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKathy View Post
If you get caught playing residency laws to your advantage, a s**tstorm will rain on you.
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:04 PM   #10
loony

I know this has nothing to do with weather,but....

What about a college student originally from Mass, studies in NH, and lives and works summers in NH. Spends xmas break in Mass. Is the domicile the college campus, or where he spends summers at our vacation home in NH? And what about the car registration?
loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:50 PM   #11
Airwaves

Default Maybe it's raining?

From my personal expereience, NH is not at all strict about where you live when it comes to registering vehicles.

The town gets the cash it's not like MA where there is a statewide RMV.

This in spite of what our resident LE folks say.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:44 AM   #12
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by loony View Post
What about a college student originally from Mass, studies in NH, and lives and works summers in NH. Spends xmas break in Mass. Is the domicile the college campus, or where he spends summers at our vacation home in NH?
This topic was discussed quite a bit here, http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...sident+tuition
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:58 AM   #13
kthy66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
From my personal expereience, NH is not at all strict about where you live when it comes to registering vehicles.
Yes generally NH is not strict.. Last I recall all that was necessary was a recent utility bill for your residence in NH in order to register a vehicle.

On the other hand if you drive in MA they are quite strict about driving a vehicle registered out of state..
This is an excerpt from MA Chapter 90 Section 3:
a motor vehicle or trailer, owned by a non-resident, that is in the possession or under the control of a resident of this commonwealth for a period greater than thirty days, in the aggregate within a calendar year, whether under terms of a lease, or otherwise, and such vehicle is registered in another state or country, shall not be operated on the ways of this commonwealth, unless registered under this chapter. Whoever operates or allows to be operated a motor vehicle or trailer in violation of this paragraph, shall be punished by a fine of not less than one hundred nor more than two hundred fifty dollars.
kthy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:22 PM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
If you get caught playing residency laws to your advantage, a s**tstorm will rain on you.
Nightwing about sums it up, when trying to play around with these laws to work things to a financial advantage one must always be very careful. I know people that have done it successfully.... but they where able to prove how much of the year the spent in the state they claimed as their residence...... I also know people that have played the game unseccessfully and been burnt and had a hard time catching back up on the back taxes owed to the state they where trying to claim non-residency in.....