Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2006, 07:44 AM   #1
beejhorton

Default Wanted: Romantic Lakefront Location For Engagement Proposal!

Here's your chance to be a part of the future of a young couple smitten by love and head over heels for each other.

I am a young man looking for a romantic location, preferably on an island, facing west for the sunset, to propose to my future wife on August 15th, 2006.

I will provide flowers, candles, boat and anything else for the few hours it will take to ask the girl of my dreams to marry me. The only thing I do not have is a location.

If you know of an island or lakefront homeowner with a well-groomed lawn or beach that would enjoy taking part in my future, please refer them to me.

Please call David at 484-888-8570 or E-mail IslandEngagement@gmail.com
beejhorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:45 AM   #2
Smith Point

Do it on the boat man, DO IT on the boat!
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:03 AM   #3
dpg

Don't...Run...Run fast...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:33 PM   #4
Phantom

Funny Smith Point suggested "on the boat" ---- I was thinking the same and didn't bother to reply!!

A cocktail basket of Wine, Crackers & Cheese, drift in the middle of say Merideth Bay (halfway between Wiers & Merideth) where the sunsets are great over the general direction of Paugus Bay --- Pop the question (if you haven't gotten cold feet by then) and have dinner reservations at Church Landing -- give them a heads up, for in August they probably wouldn't normally take a reservation for 2.

Another thought is a Friday nite (dinner?) cruise on the Mount, it's last sailing of the night -- be sure it's a Friday -- as the cruise comes to an end it ALWAYS is near Wiers to watch the "Fireworks" --

Two random thoughts from the peanut gallery!!
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
looniac

Just send her an e-mail saying "will you marry me". It's both romantic and cost effective..
looniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2006, 04:41 PM   #6
Misty Blue

Default Fireworks!!!

Phantom:

I like your idea about the Mount. Especially about the FIREWORKS!

Do you rember that old show from the 60s...

Looove, American style!

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:03 PM   #7
beejhorton

Default re:boat

I love the boat idea. However, I am hiring a wedding photojournalist to hide and shoot the surprise proposal. This task is a whole lot easier on land. Keep the suggestions coming! Thanks for all of the ideas so far!

David
Old 06-06-2006, 08:31 PM   #8
JasonG

Default Meredith, NH

My wife and I would Pick Meredith NH. It is one of the most beautiful towns on the lake. Specifically, I would do it in the Gazebo @ Church's Landing. it may not have the west sunset you were looking for, but it is by far a beautiful area. You can follow it up by a nice dinner at the Lake House. I am sure The Inn @ Mill Falls will accomidate any special requests you may have.

If my wife and I found Meredith BEFORE we were married, we would of hands down been married at the Inn @ Mills Falls.

Good Luck.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:36 PM   #9
Airwaves

My neice was just married a few weeks ago at Church Landing and I have to agree, it is spectacular!
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:47 AM   #10
Phantom

beejhorton -- the photojounalist could easily hide in plane sight on the Mount, amongst the other "tourists" taking pictures and also get random casuals of the two of you throughout the evening

Just thinking out loud again
Old 06-07-2006, 08:12 AM   #11
SIKSUKR

Default Cow Island

How about the restaraunt on Cow Island.Last year I had dinner there with a bunch of friends.They serve you on the big farmers porch outside.There was a cute little sitting area facing west right on the water. I can't remember the name,Mama something I believe.Seaplane Pilot,what is it called?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:35 AM   #12
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
How about the restaraunt on Cow Island.Last year I had dinner there with a bunch of friends.They serve you on the big farmers porch outside.There was a cute little sitting area facing west right on the water. I can't remember the name,Mama something I believe.Seaplane Pilot,what is it called?
Hey SS,

Official (or unofficial I guess...) name is Gus' Lodge. Some people refer to it as Mama Lucy's, because Lucy and Gus were the people that started it.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:46 AM   #13
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up Lucky Lady!

If you want a poetic proposal, you might want to reconsider the sunset to a sunrise.
The start of a beautiful day leads to a beautiful life.

The summit of Rattlesnake Island should be a great place to catch a sunset. If only you knew someone that lived there.
This idea does require a bit of hiking though.

Another thought would be Abenaki Tower or Castle in the Clouds. A photojournalist could easily blend in and catch the fun. DCR is a member of LRCT and might be able to point you to the perfect, off the beaten path spot on the Castle property.

A forum member took his lady out fishing and he (crazily) put the diamond on the end of the line. Proposing over near Spindle Point. Very romantic.

Good luck! Keep us posted on how you decide to propose.
(And how it goes! )

Sincerely,
RG
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:04 AM   #14
tricia1218

Church Landing made several accommodations for friends of ours celebrating an anniversary, which also involved a ring. We (me and friends husband) went down earlier in the day and asked for a window seat and a few other things and they said no guarantees, but they would try and they did, everything turned out great.

I think Church Landing is a great place, beautiful grounds and the paparazzi (photographer) might not seem as strange as they have a lot of weddings/parties. Good Luck!!
I also got engaged at the lake last June, not quite as glamorous, on the deck on the hottest day in June. When he got down on one knee I actually thought he fell 
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:16 AM   #15
Mr. V

It's not an island, and the view is toward the north, but this would be memorable...

Propose in the water, out a ways on the sandbar, at Ellacoya State Park.

Your photographer can capture the moment with a zoom lens from shore.

Pop the question then kiss and hug her with the lake in the foreground / background of the photo, the islands and hills behind you.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:20 AM   #16
Joanna16

You could proposed in your underwear in the middle of a trash heap - all she wants to hear is that you love her and want to spend the rest of your life with her.
But if you really want 2 cents - stay away from the the cliche' places that she'd expect (Castle in the clouds, Church Landing, the Mount, etc) Put the ring in your pocket for the weekend and the moment it should be will happen for you. It maybe just sitting on a bench in downtown Meredith.
Good Luck whatever you decide - she'll love you for the thought.
Joanna16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:48 AM   #17
dpg

Hey Joanna.....YUK.....
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:35 AM   #18
Merrymeeting

No matter where, hopefully neither she, her family, or her friends participate in this forum. Otherwise the surprise may be a moot point now!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:42 AM   #19
Seaplane Pilot

Someone I know did this - blew everyone away:

Arrange for a scuba diver to be part of the action. Anchor your boat out near the finger coves on the west side of Timber Island. At a pre-set time, have the diver pop out of the water next to the boat with a small wrapped package in a watertight plastic bag. Rest is a no brainer...(I'd recommend a cuddy cabin for obvious reasons)

or, anchor your boat and hire a Seaplane Pilot to drop in at a pre-set time and taxi over to your boat with a small wrapped package, a bottle of Dom Perignon and a dozen roses. Again, rest is a no brainer. Stay away from the public places or you'll have an audience of people gawking at you.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:48 AM   #20
Phantom

Cuddy cabin ??

Whatever for ??

Please gawd -- don't answer that
Old 06-07-2006, 11:56 AM   #21
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Talking Timber Island

There is a small cove South of Timber Island. There is a nice secluded beach. That is where I proposed to my ex. It was so lovely and exotic. Too bad the LRCT will not allow use of the land. Sooo, I guess I will have to find another spot.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:41 PM   #22
GTO

Default try.....

Try Beckys Garden...that would be interesting.

Off of the big lake, church Island is nice on Squam. Walk through the woods to the outside alter with Mt Chocura in the background. My brother was married there. Some great pictures.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:50 PM   #23
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
Cuddy cabin ??

Whatever for ??

Please gawd -- don't answer that
Simply to use the head (after drinking all that champagne) why else??
Old 06-07-2006, 03:57 PM   #24
dogboy

You only asked about engagement.... but a great place to exchange vows is the St. James On the Lake Chapel on Bear Island. The church has docks below. From the docks it's a rather step trek uphill as the chapel is on the highest point. Look at it this way .... you wouldn't have to worry about 'wedding crashers'!
dogboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #25
Smitty1

Default Seaplane Pilot

Hey Seaplane Pilot

Do you have a place on Bear Island? We see a Sea Plane there quite often heading to Meredith on the boat.

The kids get quite a kick out of it.

Smitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot

Simply to use the head (after drinking all that champagne) why else??
Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:58 AM   #26
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty1
Hey Seaplane Pilot

Do you have a place on Bear Island? We see a Sea Plane there quite often heading to Meredith on the boat.

The kids get quite a kick out of it.

Smitty
Hi Smitty,

That's a different Seaplane Pilot on Bear.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:34 AM   #27
SIKSUKR

I can tell you he doesn't live on Bear or keep a seaplane there.SS
Old 06-08-2006, 09:32 AM   #28
jkjoshuatree

Wink Seaplane On Bear And Someone Stole My Proposal Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot
Hi Smitty,

That's a different Seaplane Pilot on Bear.

Hey Smitty,

That seaplane belongs to my sister's boyfriends family. They live next door to us and it's amazing how many people swing by just to look at the seaplane.

I haven't been up in it yet, but most of my family has. They have a helicopter too that they land right on their raft. It's pretty cool.

I'll be up for a week in July, so hopefully I'll get to go up then. I do have a "connection" after all.

I've known for the last ten years how, where, and when I was going to propose to my girlfriend and someone has stolen my idea.

I'm not naming any names but if you know where I have a place (not too tough to figure out considering the above info), you know who you are-wink wink.

I just hope she never reads this because she won't believe it was my original idea.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:01 AM   #29
Bear Islander

Stonedam Island has a public dock and a trail to the top with a great view of the lake.

A friend of mine took his girlfriend there and climbed to the top. An accomplice had placed a small table at the top with champaign and flowers. She wondered what the table was, and went to investigate. He pulls out the ring and tells her "it's for us".
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:23 PM   #30
Cobalt 232

Default Proposal

I do not think the Mount Washington is the best idea for you, I simply can not see the romantic moment that you are looking for. I think it can ba a bit honky tonk at times. Don't get me wrong there is defiantely a good time to be had on the Mt Washington, but not for this proposal.

One of my favorite places on the Lake is the boat house in Senter Cove / Winward Harbor. I guess you would need a friend for that one. I have seen weddinngs there and the place is beautiful.

The grounds at Churchs Landing in Meredith really are lovely. I think that would be good if you need a photographer present. Quite frankly, I would avoid the photogropher and be out on the water, if you want a beautiful sunset perhaps off Long Island on the western side facing Braun Bay. Just you, her, the Lady of the Lakes, some nice champagne and strawberries....oh I almost forgot a diamond worth 4 months salary....

Good Luck
Old 06-08-2006, 06:49 PM   #31
Smitty1

Cobalt, I agree-The Boat house in Windward Harbor is awesome-There is a nice Peter Ferber painting of it.

Are you a Nashoba graduate? I was class of 85

Smitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 232
I do not think the Mount Washington is the best idea for you, I simply can not see the romantic moment that you are looking for. I think it can ba a bit honky tonk at times. Don't get me wrong there is defiantely a good time to be had on the Mt Washington, but not for this proposal.

One of my favorite places on the Lake is the boat house in Senter Cove / Winward Harbor. I guess you would need a friend for that one. I have seen weddinngs there and the place is beautiful.

The grounds at Churchs Landing in Meredith really are lovely. I think that would be good if you need a photographer present. Quite frankly, I would avoid the photogropher and be out on the water, if you want a beautiful sunset perhaps off Long Island on the western side facing Braun Bay. Just you, her, the Lady of the Lakes, some nice champagne and strawberries....oh I almost forgot a diamond worth 4 months salary....

Good Luck
Old 06-08-2006, 07:02 PM   #32
Smitty1

Hi JK

Thanks for the info.

You have to love "connections"!

Smitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree
Hey Smitty,

That seaplane belongs to my sister's boyfriends family. They live next door to us and it's amazing how many people swing by just to look at the seaplane.

I haven't been up in it yet, but most of my family has. They have a helicopter too that they land right on their raft. It's pretty cool.

I'll be up for a week in July, so hopefully I'll get to go up then. I do have a "connection" after all.

I've known for the last ten years how, where, and when I was going to propose to my girlfriend and someone has stolen my idea.

I'm not naming any names but if you know where I have a place (not too tough to figure out considering the above info), you know who you are-wink wink.

I just hope she never reads this because she won't believe it was my original idea.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:55 PM   #33
beejhorton

Default Thank you!!!

Thanks for all the ideas! I love them all! If anyone has any more great Winni ideas or locations or venues that would appreciate this sort of event, please post!

Side note: keep checking back for updates towards the end of the summer. I will post how things go!
Old 06-12-2006, 07:38 AM   #34
Winterharborway

Default propose at Castle in the Clouds

This is were I got married- you can't beat the views of the Lake and it would be a great place for a picnic too! Good luck!
Winterharborway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:57 PM   #35
beejhorton

Default She Said Yes!!!

Not that it was a huge surprise, but she said yes. I did it in the gazebo at Church Landing. After a gormet breakfast, a 50 minute massage and manicure at the Cascade spa, a picnic, a walk and a short dance, I proposed. I have a few pictures if anyone's interested. I hired a photographer to hide in the bushes and shoot pictures of it. Afterwards, a limo took us back to wolfeboro.

Thank you all for your input. You were a huge help.

DJ
Old 08-19-2006, 05:03 PM   #36
JDeere

Default 5 mile island

Seems perfect to me!
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:12 PM   #37
NHKathy

Default Congratulations!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!
Sounds like it was perfect! Excellent place!
Would love to see the pics - post them in the PhotoPost Gallery!
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:12 AM   #38
Waterbaby

Wink How Could She Not???????

Congratulations! Sounds like it was wonderfully romantic! Now, did you mention getting ideas from here or -- I hope, at least for now -- take all of the credit for yourself?
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:02 AM   #39
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Pictures?????????

Where are the pictures??????????
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #40
beejhorton

Default Sooooo it's been more than a few years, but here are the pictures...

My apologies for the delay, but better safe than sorry

Thanks to everyone who gave some great ideas and made this a fantastic memory for my wife and I! (on August 15, 2006)... hahah

Here are the pictures. Most were from a photographer hired to shoot while hidden throughout the day.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=4a5129b8ce
Old 03-24-2010, 10:27 PM   #41
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejhorton View Post
My apologies for the delay, but better safe than sorry

Thanks to everyone who gave some great ideas and made this a fantastic memory for my wife and I! (on August 15, 2006)... hahah

Here are the pictures. Most were from a photographer hired to shoot while hidden throughout the day.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=4a5129b8ce
Lol, I love this 4 years later. Good for you
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:57 AM   #42
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Wonderful "memories"

Better late than never, and the photos say it all! Belated congratulations to you both....I hope the past four years have sparkled for you both, with warmest, best wishes for your future together! Thanks for sharing your memories.
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #43
Ryan

Well done.

While I didn't get engaged there, we did take our engagement pictures there and they look VERY similar to some of yours!

Congrats.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #44
garysanfran

Default Save This Thread

Beejhorton:

May I suggest you save this thread for your album. I think this will become an important part of the story you tell in the future about how you proposed.

Happy future!
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #45
SLI

Smile Romance

What great pics! I wish you a long and happy life together!
Sue
SLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #46
tricia1218

All great ideas! I was engaged at the lake on our screen porch, I thought my boyfriend now husband had fallen when he was getting down on 1 knee.
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #47
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia1218 View Post
All great ideas! I was engaged at the lake on our screen porch, I thought my boyfriend now husband had fallen when he was getting down on 1 knee.
To funny, the reaction I got when I dropped to one knee was something a kin too "what are you doing, you look ridiculous".... followed by a repeat of the same line with the ring in front of her face.... followed by a OMG!!!!.... and last was the best line of the night..... " I think I am going to be sick " apparently surprising her at the front door was just way to much excitement. Don't worry my special lady didn't get sick, and we will be married in May......

Now back to the interest of this thread.... glad to hear things went well the pictures are wonderful... my you future together continue to prosper.....
Old 03-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #48
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Completely awesome. But 4 years? Dude! So where are the photos of the Wedding? Kids by now or what? Don't you dare leave us hangin'!
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (03-28-2010)