Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2021, 11:32 AM   #1
djones

Default Moultonborough Airport

Moultonborough Airport is up ticking in activity. Charter planes in and out and There is a new flight school there and rental planes, as well as scenic and fall foliage tours. Good to see them going again. Anyone been over there?
djones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:25 PM   #2
Denis D

Great to hear. I flew in there a few years ago and it was pretty dead. Good price for Avgas though.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:37 PM   #3
djones

Hopefully word will spread and it will continue to get busier. They are having a fly in on Oct 23rd
Old 09-15-2021, 01:40 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I looked for scenic flights last spring and couldn't find much out of Moultonborough. Anyone have a link? I gotta think there's a demand in that area rather than driving to Laconia.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:47 PM   #5
djones

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I looked for scenic flights last spring and couldn't find much out of Moultonborough. Anyone have a link? I gotta think there's a demand in that area rather than driving to Laconia.

Here's the company:

http://mocoaviation.com
The Following User Says Thank You to djones For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (09-15-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2021, 07:15 AM   #6
TomF

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

http://www.epicseaplaneadventures.com

They even come to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:17 AM   #7
djones

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
http://www.epicseaplaneadventures.com

They even come to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They’re not based out of Moultonborough Airport.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:36 AM   #8
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

It is a great little airport! I live on the other side of the pond from it and see a good amount of activity. My buddies have a private hangar at the end.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:25 AM   #9
djones

Default Moultonborough Airport Fly-In and Car Show

Looks like they are having a fly-in and car show in October. I asked for more info, sounds like AOPA will be there with a booth. Seems like they are trying to promote the airport, and bring it back to life. Really good to see. I hope they get support. I attached the flyer to this post.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf fly in flyer_v2.pdf (1.66 MB, 503 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djones For This Useful Post:
Denis D (09-18-2021), GregW11 (09-19-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 04:28 PM   #10
Denis D

Thanks for that, I'll have to fly in if I can.
It would be great to see more activity there.
GregW11 (09-19-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 06:58 PM   #11
C-Bass

I thought Moultonborough went private.
C-Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:32 PM   #12
djones

It did. But back public. State is going to repave.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:46 PM   #13
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
It is a great little airport! I live on the other side of the pond from it and see a good amount of activity. My buddies have a private hangar at the end.
You do realize small aircraft still run leaded fuel, right?
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 05:46 AM   #14
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
….But maybe not for long. Related article in this month’s AOPA Pilot magazine:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...fuels-unleaded
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
mswlogo (10-04-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 10:44 AM   #15
LikeLakes

Quote:
Curious how you meant this? I read the thread but didn't see any other fuel reference.
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:43 PM   #16
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLakes View Post
Curious how you meant this? I read the thread but didn't see any other fuel reference.
He was excited to live near a small airport. I understand and love small aircraft. But a lot of people don’t realize they are exempt of EPA requirements of lead free fuel. I was training for my pilots license about 15 years ago and when learned that they still used leaded fuel I couldn’t live with myself that I was poisoning the homes below for my pleasure and dropped out. I was flying out of a airport much more densely populated area. I was really bummed because it was an absolute blast.

It is low lead fuel (great improvement over the past) but it still has serious impact near the airports. Large Commercial planes do not use leaded fuel.
Old 10-06-2021, 04:01 PM   #17
ITD

Quote:
He was excited to live near a small airport. I understand and love small aircraft. But a lot of people don’t realize they are exempt of EPA requirements of lead free fuel. I was training for my pilots license about 15 years ago and when learned that they still used leaded fuel I couldn’t live with myself that I was poisoning the homes below for my pleasure and dropped out. I was flying out of a airport much more densely populated area. I was really bummed because it was an absolute blast.

It is low lead fuel (great improvement over the past) but it still has serious impact near the airports. Large Commercial planes do not use leaded fuel.
Hmmm, I think common plumbing is a far greater risk for lead exposure than a little airplane flying over head, but, feel good that a lead free aviation fuel has been approved for use as a replacement for 100LL, hopefully it will be in widespread use soon.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:25 PM   #18
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Hmmm, I think common plumbing is a far greater risk for lead exposure than a little airplane flying over head, but, feel good that a lead free aviation fuel has been approved for use as a replacement for 100LL, hopefully it will be in widespread use soon.
What will that cost per gallon? What's avgas cost now anyway? When I was flying, a long time ago, it was mostly local and i paid for an hour or three, fuel included, so I never paid much attention to price of fuel alone.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:17 PM   #19
FlyingScot

Quote:
If your plumbing has lead, you should pull it out, especially if you have children or grandchildren. Very serious, very dangerous. (Yes, I know it used to be common...)
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:03 PM   #20
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
If your plumbing has lead, you should pull it out, especially if you have children or grandchildren. Very serious, very dangerous. (Yes, I know it used to be common...)
Right. Pretty easy to solve. I love Pex.
There are towns with town water that have lead issues though.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:47 PM   #21
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
What will that cost per gallon? What's avgas cost now anyway? When I was flying, a long time ago, it was mostly local and i paid for an hour or three, fuel included, so I never paid much attention to price of fuel alone.
It's running between $4.50 to as high as $8.00 at Hanscom. Definite increase after 2020.

Edit:

Sounds like the new stuff will be about $0.75 a gallon more, but no one really knows.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
Descant (10-06-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #22
LikeLakes

Quote:

I honestly appreciate your approach and environmental awareness. I share it and am involved in renewable fuel through work. But the small plane unleaded fuel use is a drop in the bucket at most, and poses zero risk to the houses they are flying over. Yes, hopefully aviation will move to unleaded fuel, I assume Lycoming and other engine manufacturers have resisted, but it would not ever keep me from pursuing that if it was something I wanted to do.

Yes, jet fuel doesn't have lead (basically kerosene). But the pollution from commercial aviation is a real environmental issue, and a hard one to make a dent in, by comparison the small amount of leaded gas that is used is nowhere near the impact. JMO, I haven't done any research on this.
The Following User Says Thank You to LikeLakes For This Useful Post:
TomF (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 12:38 PM   #23
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default electric planes

There are several videos on youtube showing electric aircraft in flight. Coming to a small airfield near you.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:11 PM   #24
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLakes View Post
I honestly appreciate your approach and environmental awareness. I share it and am involved in renewable fuel through work. But the small plane unleaded fuel use is a drop in the bucket at most, and poses zero risk to the houses they are flying over. Yes, hopefully aviation will move to unleaded fuel, I assume Lycoming and other engine manufacturers have resisted, but it would not ever keep me from pursuing that if it was something I wanted to do.

Yes, jet fuel doesn't have lead (basically kerosene). But the pollution from commercial aviation is a real environmental issue, and a hard one to make a dent in, by comparison the small amount of leaded gas that is used is nowhere near the impact. JMO, I haven't done any research on this.
Approx 3 million children live within 0.5 miles of airports in the USA. Which have been shown that the children have elevated levels of lead in their blood. If you think that's a "drop in the bucket" then that's your choice. Obviously Commercial Jets have other forms of pollution that we should also work towards improving.

https://www.smgov.net/uploadedFiles/...ead%20Fuel.pdf

https://healthdocbox.com/Add/1175417...-hastings.html
Old 10-07-2021, 02:40 PM   #25
LikeLakes

Thanks for providing the links to more info. I don't have time to go through them right now, will try to do so in the next few days. I'm always willing to learn.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:21 PM   #26
ITD

Quote:
Approx 3 million children live within 0.5 miles of airports in the USA. Which have been shown that the children have elevated levels of lead in their blood. If you think that's a "drop in the bucket" then that's your choice. Obviously Commercial Jets have other forms of pollution that we should also work towards improving.

https://www.smgov.net/uploadedFiles/...ead%20Fuel.pdf

https://healthdocbox.com/Add/1175417...-hastings.html
I think that study makes some logistical stretches and I wonder why a study of this magnitude didn't include air sampling in these areas as part of it's data set. The study also mentions the increased lead levels in poorer neighborhoods where much older housing is used versus neighborhoods where newer housing is available and levels are lower.

But, as I said before, a substitute fuel for leaded high octane aviation gas has just been approved by the FAA and hopefully will be widely available quickly.

The sooner 100ll goes away the better everyone will like it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
DotRat (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 09:55 PM   #27
mswlogo

Quote:
I think that study makes some logistical stretches and I wonder why a study of this magnitude didn't include air sampling in these areas as part of it's data set. The study also mentions the increased lead levels in poorer neighborhoods where much older housing is used versus neighborhoods where newer housing is available and levels are lower.

But, as I said before, a substitute fuel for leaded high octane aviation gas has just been approved by the FAA and hopefully will be widely available quickly.

The sooner 100ll goes away the better everyone will like it.
Agreed. That paper is referenced by many other articles.

I love planes. I've flown RC planes (electric powered and gliders) for a while. Then I had the whole family take hang gliding lessons one summer. My daughter had a hard landing and dropped out. And my wife just couldn't take the "work" involved with learning. I made it to "Hang I" but never went further. That was an absolute blast until I came to my senses. Then I started taking the lessons, that was a lot of fun, I loved it. Latest craze is a drone, but that's not really flying, is it