Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2021, 11:00 AM   #1
pitosalas

Default Single "Combination Cover" Canvas

I have a 24' Four Winns bow rider. I need to replace the canvas. I have used the standard two piece (bow/cockpit) canvas for ages - and it's always somewhat of a pain.

I am considering having a single longer canvas made (I think they call it a "Combination Cover") - basically covers the bow, goes over the windshield and continues all the way to the back. It seems like it might be more convenient. Even though the single canvas is that much bigger and could actually be harder to handle.

Have you had experience with such a combination cover? DO you love it or hate it? Thanks!
pitosalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:19 AM   #2
AC2717

i have a 24 foot 95 Four Winns. had Canvas guys do a one piece from bow to Stern over winter before summer last year. I love it. water runs from windshield to the back, and to the front and down the side, and i do not puddle or pool anywhere. He also added snaps to bring it lower. the wind does not grab it, its easy to install (has a nose cone piece that wraps the nose of the boat

Love it, and will do it on any other boat I own in the future. No more rain water off the windshield and down under the bow canvas and water getting in. The boat has been bone dry and dust free since.

picture attached - note it is not tight as it was not snapped in on the backside and some on the other side. Just to show you what it looks like and where he put the snaps. there are no snaps on the nose cone, just the one on eitehr side forward of the cleats. Tension keeps that in place and the shape of it

Lakeside will do the same as well.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2021, 11:41 AM   #3
LakeTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
i have a 24 foot 95 Four Winns. had Canvas guys do a one piece from bow to Stern over winter before summer last year. I love it. water runs from windshield to the back, and to the front and down the side, and i do not puddle or pool anywhere. He also added snaps to bring it lower. the wind does not grab it, its easy to install (has a nose cone piece that wraps the nose of the boat

Love it, and will do it on any other boat I own in the future. No more rain water off the windshield and down under the bow canvas and water getting in. The boat has been bone dry and dust free since.

picture attached - note it is not tight as it was not snapped in on the backside and some on the other side. Just to show you what it looks like and where he put the snaps. there are no snaps on the nose cone, just the one on eitehr side forward of the cleats. Tension keeps that in place and the shape of it

Lakeside will do the same as well.
Thanks for sharing. Funny timing as I have the two piece with snaps. No complains taking it on or off, but will say it is frustrating when water runs down the windshield and gets the carpet wet inside. Have been tossing and turning about moving to a single cover exactly like what you have.

If you don't mind sharing - would love to know who did it as it seems you had it custom made and a rough idea of cost. My bowrider is a little bigger so obviously expecting mine to cost a bit more. I've been looking online for the past few months to start to get an idea of pricing and various models and can't say I'm very impressed with anything I've come across.
LakeTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:54 AM   #4
Sue Doe-Nym

Village Canvas in Meredith 279-6717. He is the best! He made a single cover canvas for our 24’ Cobalt in 2015, and it has been perfect. The one piece makes it a bit unwieldy at times, but that’s when grandchildren come in handy. 😎 we don’t have the leaks that you have with a 2 piece. Our neighbor always has a nasty mess with his 2 piece after any rains. Good luck.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
LakeTimes (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 12:07 PM   #5
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTimes View Post
Thanks for sharing. Funny timing as I have the two piece with snaps. No complains taking it on or off, but will say it is frustrating when water runs down the windshield and gets the carpet wet inside. Have been tossing and turning about moving to a single cover exactly like what you have.

If you don't mind sharing - would love to know who did it as it seems you had it custom made and a rough idea of cost. My bowrider is a little bigger so obviously expecting mine to cost a bit more. I've been looking online for the past few months to start to get an idea of pricing and various models and can't say I'm very impressed with anything I've come across.
The Canvas Guys in Gilford made this one - awesome work quality material, I had him make me a bigger bimini top frame and canvas as well as install the brackets for it and a boot for it, I want to say this one piece was under $1,000 out of the total bill but that was pre-pandemic.

Lakeshore Upholstery in Gilford and Village Canvas all great options for you as well to use.
LakeTimes (06-16-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2021, 07:39 PM   #6
Blue Thunder

I own a 2000 Four Winns 230 Horizon. I went with the all in one cover about 6 years ago. Best move I’ve ever made. The two piece was a pain to do and always leaked.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:06 AM   #7
jeffk

I started out with a bow and cockpit cover and changed for one reason. The sun beating down on the top edges of the boat, where the cover didn't protect, caused the fiberglass to go chalky and I had to have the finish restored. (Yes, I did keep it cleaned and waxed.) I had a mooring cover made (NOT one of those saggy models but a form fitting Sunbrella one with a front and aft support pole) and it has protected the upper surface well. The mooring cover has worn out and this fall I am having a new one made. But the fiberglass is NOT damaged.

As to ease of use, I find the mooring cover a bit easier because there are no snaps. A tension rope around the edge keeps it in place. It can be a little tricky getting the last corner into place but overall it isn't hard to put it on.

NO water leaks during rain.

Cost (22' boat) ~$2000
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:07 AM   #8
Lakegeezer

Default Miss the two piece

When the 2 piece OEM cover for my 17' FourWinns bow-rider wore out, I went with a full cover from Village Canvas. They did a great job and the full cover keeps the boat drier, but I miss the two piece. When it is chilly or extra windy, I liked riding with the bow cover attached. Getting the full cover over the windshield is a bit more complicated too. The ideal situation would be to have the full cover for mooring and a separate front piece for use as needed while riding.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:51 AM   #9
Jdarby

I had one made for my old 20ft Mariah cuddy cabin. I loved it! Wish I had bought it sooner!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Jdarby is offline   Reply With Quote