Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2020, 12:37 PM   #1
twentworth12

Default Expectations for boat repairs at Goodhue Hawkins?

I'm looking for a sanity check on an ongoing boat repair.

I bought a 2014 Cobalt R3 from Goodhue Hawkins in late May. The boat was in good condition but on my first trip I found two issues: 1) The fuel gauge and speedometers weren't working and 2) There were a bunch of blown speakers. Goodhue Hawkins offered to fix these for free.

So, I left the boat with them on May 30th for the repair and they've had it the entire time outside of one weekend. But today I learned that they still haven't made any progress and they can't give me a timeline.

- Does it usually take this long to get a boat fixed at a dealer?
- Is poor communication the norm with boat dealers? I've had to relentlessly call and text Goodhue Hawkins almost daily to get updates (and of course, there are none).
- Is there anything I can do to speed this process up?

I'm pretty frustrated with Goodhue Hawkins but I wanted to get some feedback before I escalate.
twentworth12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:48 PM   #2
burgerunh

I understand that you are probably frustrated with the marina.

If I were you I would schedule a date to have the items repaired. Bring the boat to them on the agreed upon date and get the items taken care of within a day or 2. No reason to waste perfectly good boating days when the boat can be used the way it is.

In the meantime enjoy your boat. Get yourself a bluetooth speaker and a GPS app for your phone. Fuel up the boat every couple of trips out. That will get you some music and tell you your speed and you shouldn't run out of gas. That will take care of the issues until the minor repairs are made to the boat.

Anyway thats my 2 cents.
burgerunh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:03 PM   #3
MeredithMan

Default Parts Delivery Delays

I've been in dry dock for over a month waiting for parts to come in. In my case, the boat is inoperable until the new parts arrive and are installed. Apparently, Big 'Rona is affecting how many people are working in the various factories, which is reverberating through the whole supply chain. At least, that's what I'm told by the marina, (whom I have no reason to doubt).

In your case, you can operate without a speedometer and fuel gauge, so I'd take the boat back and tell the marina to call you when the parts are in.

Good luck!
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:53 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Patience

Honestly, I think considering the times I would be more patient. It may not be their fault. If Covid19 has shut down any of their suppliers where they need parts from (speakers, etc, etc.) this could be part of the reason. Another could be their workforce...maybe they were furloughed, then called back but decided not to come back for whatever reason...

Goodhue and Hawkins has always had a good reputation. I would go see them in person and simply have a heart to heart with them to find out the issue.

Good luck!

Dan
Old 06-18-2020, 03:11 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default this is a tough year

I agree. Use the boat; no speedometer is ever needed. Carry an extra can of gas, or fill up every 'x' hours. When the work is satisfactory be sure to bring in some homemade cookies or a box of doughnuts. If you are really calling every day, stop.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2020, 03:31 PM   #6
Patofnaud

And if you find out that the speakers are in fact blown, and not an amp/wiring issue AND they will not cover them, don't buy any.

I've upgraded a few Benningtons from the stock Q-somethings and have some 6inch speakers laying around.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:27 AM   #7
marcucci

I’ve been boating on the lake for almost 3 decades. Nothing against the marinas but I’ve always found them overloaded. Really it’s not their fault, they are typically the most convenient so most people just go there. In all my years I’ve only not had a trailer for 2 and in that time I was one of those people who went to the marina for everything. Other than that I always tried to use off water services, in some cases 50 miles away from winni. (It was between winni and my winter home so it wasn’t out of the way.)

Anyway, what I’ve found (this includes when I bought a brand new boat at a local marina) is that the marinas are too busy to provide good communication and timely service to everyone. So what happens is they have to pick and choose who they focus on. Even when using the marinas I always call, request what I want, ask for when they can do the work and how long it will take and only bring the boat in during that prearranged time. I would NEVER just drop off my boat (unless it wasn’t running and was useless otherwise) because who knows when you’ll see it.

When I have problems with them getting the work done I remind them (typically the service manager) that we had prearranged the drop off and duration. If something new was discovered I understand and I have the whole when and how long conversation again. Often they tell me a story about how busy they are or some other boat took longer or someone quit or whatever. I explain that I understand but that, just like my work, that’s for me to worry about and not my customer and then I say, when will you start the work and when will it be done. I follow that up with, if it’s not started and done by then I’m going to have to take it elsewhere. Only once was I told to go screw. Typically they are willing to work with me.

Just my experience but I almost never have this type of experience with off water places. They seem to have lower volume so they can manager better. In fact right now I’m waiting for a date for some service from a local shop and I’ve received two emails letting me know they haven’t forgotten about me and will get back soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boat #3: Premier Sunsation 220 Tritoon
Boating on Winnipesaukee since 1989
Vacationing on Winnipesaukee since 1975
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:39 AM   #8
bobkatfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentworth12 View Post

I bought a 2014 Cobalt R3 from Goodhue Hawkins in late May. The boat was in good condition but on my first trip I found two issues: 1) The fuel gauge and speedometers weren't working and 2) There were a bunch of blown speakers. Goodhue Hawkins offered to fix these for free.

So, I left the boat with them on May 30th for the repair and they've had it the entire time outside of one weekend. But today I learned that they still haven't made any progress and they can't give me a timeline.

- Is poor communication the norm with boat dealers? I've had to relentlessly call and text Goodhue Hawkins almost daily to get updates (and of course, there are none).

I'm pretty frustrated with Goodhue Hawkins but I wanted to get some feedback before I escalate.
I had work done by G & H in May on a Cobalt that I purchased privately (Craigslist). I made the appointment in March to get in front of the spring surge. The work was done professionally and the cost was reasonable. Their communication could have been better as I had to call numerous times without a call back to find out if it was ready. Finally took a drive there on a Sunday and it had been sitting finished for a few days.
I get that springtime is busy but in your case especially, having purchased from them, you deserve better service. If you bought a new boat from them, I would guess it would have been different.
Was the purchase a consignment?

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:51 AM   #9
twentworth12

Wasn’t a consignment.

I’ll give them a pass. I just wish Goodhue Hawkins could have been more transparent.

And thanks to this forum, I found someone else who is coming over today to take a look.
twentworth12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:59 AM   #10
Descant

Consignment is a boat for sale by the marina that they do not own. Often called a broker boat since the marina acts as a broker
Old 06-19-2020, 09:51 AM   #11
iw8surf

I see too many people giving passes and making excuses for communication issues. It’s 2020 you can’t answer the phone? If it’s truly because your busy working, ok well than an email, text message or a call back isn’t asking too much. Take a walk into majority of the service centers marine or auto and I guarantee you’ll see atleast someone on their cellphone.

But- will totally agree majority of the marinas I have dealt with in the last 10 years are awful with exactly this.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:19 AM   #12
jbolty

It's not just marinas. Everyone has a hard time delivering what they see as bad news but it always makes the situation worse.

Most businesses, and especially seasonal ones, want as much business as possible so they say yes to everyone but then invariably get overwhelmed.

A simple call or email or text is so easy but hiding seems to be the default.

Maybe I'm old school but I have been working on a long term project and getting near the end but taking way longer than it should. Emailed stakeholders and said "this is way more complicated than I thought and is taking a lot longer than I thought. I can't give a good time estimate right now but be assured I am doing all I can. Let me know if you have any specific questions"
jbolty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:33 PM   #13
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post

Maybe I'm old school but I have been working on a long term project and getting near the end but taking way longer than it should. Emailed stakeholders and said "this is way more complicated than I thought and is taking a lot longer than I thought. I can't give a good time estimate right now but be assured I am doing all I can. Let me know if you have any specific questions"
Taking longer often means more billable hours.
I would like to see you add "The extra time is on me to do my best work. It will not affect our previously agreed terms."
Old 06-19-2020, 01:14 PM   #14
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Taking longer often means more billable hours.
I would like to see you add "The extra time is on me to do my best work. It will not affect our previously agreed terms."
Good point but my work is internal to company departments so there is no money involved, just moving deadlines. They still get treated like a customer otherwise.

In the original posting it might be "we have been swamped and have not been able to start on your work. We will do it as soon as we can or we understand if you want to take it elsewhere"

silence is never a good option
jbolty is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
Descant (06-21-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 02:18 PM   #15
Bootkie2

Have you tried emailing? I've found sometimes you can have more success and better results that way (especially if you go higher up the chain). I would write a kind but firm email telling your story.

Recipients should include your sales contact (whoever sold you the boat) and the service manager. If you still don't get a reply within a day, reply back to the same email this time with the General manager of the marina on CC.

If you spent as much $$ as you did on a boat they should make it a priority to help you.

They don't give you personal emails on the GH website but they give you a list of all the staff members and their roles within the marina and you can probably guess from there.

It's either :
firstname@goodhueandhawkins.com
firstname.lastname@goodhueandhawkins.com
Bootkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:36 AM   #16
Pricestavern

Default In Person

I would go there myself, if possible, to get this straightened out (Just don't go between noon and 1 as they are all off for lunch). G&H does fine work and they are reputable. If you speak with them, you'll get your answers.

I would not, however, email or call them. Our experiences over the years with them on this front proved to be very frustrating. They don't always pick up their voice mail. If the person on the phone at the front desk says they'll leave a note for so-and-so, for some reason that note never gets addressed. Email response can by quite slow.

Call ahead telling them you are stopping by, arrive, and they'll treat you with respect and expedience. As frustrating as communications can be with them, we continued to bring our boats there for service.
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:02 PM   #17
gokart-mozart

Default Check your bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentworth12 View Post

I used to go there a lot, when I was a new boater, because it was local.

I never had a service or repair that wasn't billed twice (the second bill sent after payment was received). Perhaps they have a lot of customers who have someone else pay their bills, and occasionally the double billing gets missed.

I've been a happy customer at Lane's End in Melvin Village for 10+ years.
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:08 PM   #18
rattlesnake dn60

Sorry to hear about your cobalt. They have planned obsolescence built into them. Sell it and buy something else while you can, that’s what I did!
rattlesnake dn60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:30 AM   #19
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default As for speakers

Seems like most boat builders stick in automotive speakers to save cost. They do not stand up to the humidity. I've seen many blown speakers and were replaced by water resistance i.e. 'waterproof' speakers. Speakers will be something I would replace personally. I can pick my own speakers and they are very easy to install.

As for speedometer, if you have a smartphone with GPS, you can use it as a speedometer.
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/turn-you...an%20analog%20