Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2020, 03:41 PM   #1
aydinlik

Default Impeller pump replacement

I am about the get my boat from storagefor the season. They told from the storage company that i need to get my impeller replaced every 3 years. I am thinking about getting it done but the price seems too high. I am quoted around $350. Is this a normal price for this job? It is an outboard engine. 90HP 4 stroke Mercury.

Last edited by aydinlik; 05-25-2020 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Details added
aydinlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:05 PM   #2
8gv

I cannot comment on the price because to me it's a DYI task.

I do not agree that the impeller needs replacement every three years.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:30 PM   #3
aydinlik

I bought the boat last year. It is 2014. I called the previous owner. They never replaced it. So i need to get it replaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Agree with 8gv

Unless you know for sure there was some damage, I think you could get away with another year out of it. Also agree its a DYI task.
Sent from my LM-V450 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 05-25-2020, 10:37 PM   #4
8gv

Yes, you should do it.

I was under the mistaken impression that it was only three years.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
aydinlik (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 09:13 AM   #5
aydinlik

Quote:
Me too,

The bigger question is how comfortable do you feel doing it yourself. The 350.00 dollar price tag is not outragous but still not cheap. Have you checked any of the You-Tube Videos on changing it out yourself to get familiar with what is involved. It appears it is about a 30 to 50 dollar kit that you need no matter what and would you have the strength to muscle it around, they are not that heavy but are awkward when trying to fit it up for final assembly. Not to mention do you have the necessary small hand tools. Personally I would do it myself because it is a pretty simple job, but every ones skill levels are different. Looks like a (first time) 3, to 4, hour job but a very small part of it might be a 2 person job.

Not to forget, will you be able to check it when done? They usually need a presure test when completed to make sure there are no leaks. I think they need to hold about 15psi for an hour. ( I usually test overnight)

Thanks for the good feedback. I don't think i can do this. I don't have a trailer to take the boat out of water. Storage company will put the boat in the water rand i will bring it to my mooring. I think i have to pay the the 350
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2020, 09:40 AM   #6
elbie

Better to pay $350 now than to overheat and loose the season later. I have changed them out in the past but would not do it now. Good Luck!
elbie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to elbie For This Useful Post:
aydinlik (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
Formula260SS

Quote:
Good luck

Your not getting screwed ........ nothing is cheap now-a-days. If you have never done it, its easy to see why you would shy away from it. Not having a trailer really puts the kibosh on this. Despite the fact that its work ,,,,, it should also be fun at the same time, rushing because of no trailer and being on someone else's schedule would take the fun out of it.
I agree with the fun part - until it isn't I do it myself, once I cross that bridge I open the wallet. Doesn't sound fun at all for you, it's not something you really want to put off. I've had them do mine in the fall when they winterize, that's not fun for me anymore.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Formula260SS For This Useful Post:
aydinlik (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 06:04 PM   #8
jazzman

It took several hours of labor to replace on my 2004 Sea Ray Sundeck. I can't imagine why Sea Ray / Mecury made it so expensive to change a cheap part that results in incapacation when it fails (thus the need to make it preventative maintenance). It was very low labor on my Chaparral / Volvo.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:09 AM   #9
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
It took several hours of labor to replace on my 2004 Sea Ray Sundeck. I can't imagine why Sea Ray / Mecury made it so expensive to change a cheap part that results in incapacation when it fails (thus the need to make it preventative maintenance). It was very low labor on my Chaparral / Volvo.
Alpha or Bravo in the Sundeck?
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:31 AM   #10
Taz

Default Impeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydinlik View Post
I am about the get my boat from storagefor the season. They told from the storage company that i need to get my impeller replaced every 3 years. I am thinking about getting it done but the price seems too high. I am quoted around $350. Is this a normal price for this job? It is an outboard engine. 90HP 4 stroke Mercury.
Parts and labor to replace impeller, spring 2019 for a Volvo sterndrive 8.1 liter, 375 HP Duoprop, $193.00.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:18 AM   #11
jeffk

Just paid $446 to have mine replaced. Bravo III drive.

I look at it as an insurance cost. Trying to squeak extra time out of it is penny wise, pound foolish, IMO.

Last edited by jeffk; 05-29-2020 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Additional information.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:28 PM   #12
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Just paid $446 to have mine replaced. Bravo III drive.

I look at it as an insurance cost. Trying to squeak extra time out of it is penny wise, pound foolish, IMO.
That number can very wildly depending on the engine and the boat. It's not in the drive on any of the Bravos and can be really difficult to get to if the engine space is tight. I did one once (the whole pump, not just the impeller) in 40 minutes or less on my old boat with a big block and a Bravo3, while drifting in Alton Bay. Access was OK at best on that boat and working on it while it was overheated was a real treat on a hot day...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote