Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2020, 12:01 PM   #1
WinnisquamZ

Default Boat Insurance

Wondering what vendor you all use for boat insurance. My bill from Liberty M came and was just under $700. Looked into BoatUS a geico company and same coverage was $202. Hesitant to try. Recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:10 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Wondering what vendor you all use for boat insurance. My bill from Liberty M came and was just under $700. Looked into BoatUS a geico company and same coverage was $202. Hesitant to try. Recommendations?

Progressive by far had the best price for our three boats.

Dan
Old 03-04-2020, 12:40 PM   #3
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Progressive by far had the best price for our three boats.

Dan
Agreed I use progressive also, they additionally give great rates for sleds and ATV's
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:57 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Progressive

I concur with Progressive as well. Good customer service and pricing.

Dave
Old 03-04-2020, 01:57 PM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Agreed I use progressive also, they additionally give great rates for sleds and ATV's
For my sleds, no one could touch Allstate...
Old 03-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #6
Woody38

We have had coverage with BoatUS forever. Price has been good and right now it is around $170 something. With no claims the deductible goes down every year. I don't recall but on the last boat (37' Egg) their price was way less than others. Not sure if AMICA will insure boats, they insure everything else and have been good. Homeowners is going up yearly. They gave me a commercial policy on condos we built on Cape Cod when they did not write commercial. They are good to perpetual customers. Maybe I should ask about the boat.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:29 PM   #7
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

We use State Farm for all our policies. I'm confident I could find cheaper alternatives, but my agent is awesome and they've always done right by me and my two brothers. I pay $152/mth. for two SUVs, our 20' pontoon, and a $1M umbrella policy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

I've been with USAA for over forty years, so I get a dividend in December and a senior member bonus in February. The USAA Brokerage places boats with Progressive, and Progressive always recognizes that relationship when I call, which is infrequent. To do a price comparison, you need to consider boat coverage ($10,00? $75000?, etc,) deductible, liability, additional coverages e.g. towing, med pay, personal equipment, electronics, lay-up clause and area of navigation. Some companies will add small boats to your homeowner policy super cheap. It's a little more complicated than car insurance, so just giving a $$ amount needs clarification. Service is really where to be, and that's hard to quantify.
I had a claim with Progressive several years ago. They did a good job. If you can qualify for USAA, it's worth a call to see.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 03:30 PM   #9
8gv

I have Progressive for all my boats.

They are easy to deal with as a paying customer.

I have no knowledge of how the perform with a claim.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:13 PM   #10
WinnisquamZ

Thank you to all who responded.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:52 AM   #11
feb

Default Another for Progressive

Had a tree limb fall and crush the side of my pwc over winter. Claims came right out and I had a check in my hands within a couple of days. Took it to a local auto body shop, pleased with outcome, and no out of pocket extra $$ needed.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:20 PM   #12
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

My Boat policy is through progressive, and I use an agent out of Wolfeboro.... I have found the cost very reasonable, over the years. And no where near the 700$ the op states...
Old 03-08-2020, 05:06 AM   #13
fatlazyless

Default ..... that zero deductible glass replacement highway!

Boats are just like cars, motorcycles, atv's and snowmobiles ...... you do not really drive a car, motorcycle, atv, or a snowmobile ..... what you drive is an insurance policy.

And, it doesn't really matter who you use for insurance ....... Geico, Progressive, Allstate or many other insurance companies ..... what matters is that you HAVE insurance (period).

Without good strong insurance ..... you simply should not be driving.

If you gonna be driv'n ...... you really need to be in-sured!

For windshield glass replacement ...... the best deductible amount is a deductible of zero .... because that Route 175 in Holderness and Ashland is so pot-holed and frost heaved ..... it will crack the windshield just from the vibrations. "Vibrations" is an accepted insurance reason for a cracked windshield. I hearby suggest that Rt 175 should be named the "zero deductible glass replacement highway" because driving that road will definitely crack your windshield!

The road has so many large cracks that it's tough to determine; are these frost heaves or are these pot holes?

So similarly, this applies to towing a boat that has a boat windshield on a boat trailer over that Route 175 in Holderness and Ashland ..... Route 175 will crack your boat's windshield, too. Is it possible to get a zero deductible for boat windshield replacement purposes?

Ok, so how does Allstate make insurance great again? Simple, Allstate makes insurance great again because Allstate has a local office in your town with a real person to talk to, as opposed to talking to someone over the telephone. Plus, Allstate will take photos of your boat after the collision ...... you just show up at their office with your boat! Like, what if you do not have a telephone, then how you gonna get insurance ....... you walk into your local Allstate office.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-08-2020 at 06:59 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:51 AM   #14
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Ok, so how does Allstate make insurance great again? Simple, Allstate makes insurance great again because Allstate has a local office in your town with a real person to talk to, as opposed to talking to someone over the telephone. Plus, Allstate will take photos of your boat after the collision ...... you just show up at their office with your boat! Like, what if you do not have a telephone, then how you gonna get insurance ....... you walk into your local Allstate office.
Years ago, I had some rental properties insured with Allstate. I consulted with a different insurance agent and he found better coverage and higher liability limits for $1,200 per year less. I switched, and within a few days, the Allstate agent called. I explained what happened and he said "I could have done that". Yes, but you didn't.

Starting in 1988,and for several years after that, Allstate wouldn't do business in Massachusetts because of the tough insurance laws. My agent suggested that Allstate should change their name to "49 State".
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:35 AM   #15
dt5150

i'm shopping around too. progressive jacked my rate up by $100 compared to previous years. i called and asked about the increase and was told it was basically due to their cost of doing business. i didn't care much for that answer so i'm going to get some quotes from other companies.
dt5150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:22 PM   #16
gwhite13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Years ago, I had some rental properties insured with Allstate. I consulted with a different insurance agent and he found better coverage and higher liability limits for $1,200 per year less. I switched, and within a few days, the Allstate agent called. I explained what happened and he said "I could have done that". Yes, but you didn't.

Starting in 1988,and for several years after that, Allstate wouldn't do business in Massachusetts because of the tough insurance laws. My agent suggested that Allstate should change their name to "49 State".
Mass. does have a great atty. general that watches out for the public. More states should do the same.
gwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:25 PM   #17
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhite13 View Post
Mass. does have a great atty. general that watches out for the public. More states should do the same.

Sarcasm? Please say yes

The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (03-10-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 06:31 AM   #18
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Sarcasm? Please say yes

You obviously don’t know much about Maura Heaney. If you did, you wouldn’t be questioning.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:03 AM   #19
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Thought we were talking about boat insurance.

But the twisted to auto insurance so what happened?

Had Met Life for decades for under $200, Comprehensive and work with your marina! Had to make two claims, one a tree branch fell on the boat, the second I hit a sunken log. Just call Met Life, make a claim and the marina and insurance company took care of everything behind the scene! Can't be happier!

My neighbor had another insurance company, $700 a year and they gave him sh1t when he tried to make a claim when his bilge pump failed and a downpour sank his boat. He has Met Life now!

As for auto insurance I switch ever two three years to take advantage of the teaser rates! Just be mindful of the coverage! Same goes for homeowners!
A lot of work but you save tons!