Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
Top-Water

Default Perhaps of some interest to cold water fishermen

Perhaps of some interest to cold water fishermen

Not really sure where to post this because it's really old video footage from New Hampshire Fish and Game I'm guessing from the very late 50's / early 60's from Lake Winnisquam with regard to the Black Brook Fishery in Sanborton that I think is somewhat abandoned now or had been for many years. I have not been up that way in a long time but remember it well from my early childhood memories and first years on Lake Winnisquam.

As a young boy I was fascinated with the brook outlet from the lake that leads up to the hatchery on black brook road. Honestly there wasn't a whole
lot to see there but it was a place to go in the row boat back then and eat candy that mom did not know about Not to mention the stories we heard from the old timers about what is was like before the hurricane of 1938 and how navigable it was before then. From what I remember it was a pretty famous place to go smelt fishing years ago, and attracted for lack of a better term tons of fishermen to Osborne's cottages and trailer park. Back in those days you could only get about halfway up to the hatchery by boat to the little hidden boat ramp at / behind Osborne's cottages, everything beyond that was all large downed trees that you would have to haul the boat over.

They Spawn at Night Video

Take a look back at the Black Brook facility on Lake Winnisquam and the management of NH Fisheries' forage base, smelt.

Last edited by Top-Water; 04-14-2019 at 05:46 PM. Reason: redundant wording @ text format and title
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post:
Woody38 (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 06:01 PM   #2
Woody38

Thanks Top-Water.

Does the state currently undertake this process.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:22 PM   #3
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
Thanks Top-Water.

Does the state currently undertake this process.
I'm not sure, I primarily fish for bass and know very little about cold water fish and their food supply.

Perhaps member ishoot308 could shed some light on your question.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:42 AM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
I'm not sure, I primarily fish for bass and know very little about cold water fish and their food supply.

Perhaps member ishoot308 could shed some light on your question.

I do not believe this program still exists, if it does I am unaware of it. I do know the smelt population are monitored at least annually by hydro-acoustic and trawl net surveying in the managed lakes as well as dip net surveys in their tributaries. It is monitored more so in the coastal areas where freshwater rivers run into brackish area bays and smelt runs occur. No hatching and stocking that I am aware of...

As an FYI...all smelt sold at bait shops in the state of NH come from Maine...

Dan