Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2018, 09:12 PM   #1
sledneck

Default Gluten Free Options

Has anyone had any experience with gluten free options at Akwa Marina or anywhere else on the lake? Recently my sister was diagnosed with a severe gluten allergy and I was looking for some feedback. I know from past experience the manager at Akwa had stated his kitchen was allergin friendly but clearly was not and even confirmed he would be in the future. Maybe this will be the year Teddy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Go Patriots.
sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
camp guy

Default Gluten Free

It is my understanding that Hobbs Restaurant and Tavern, Route 16 (just north of the Rt 25/Rt 16 lights), Ossipee, has a gluten free section in their kitchen.

The main number is 603-539-2000, and it might be a good idea to call and double check before traveling.

Each time my wife and I have eaten there we have enjoyed it very much.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:38 PM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default From One Who Has Been Burned (So to speak)

From one who has been burned badly, (So to speak) any restaurant is risky. Too many servers and establishments do not fully understand what gluten free really means. I do recall a thread that had an owner that has Celiac’s Disease, I would try that place. Tavern 27 perhaps? (Pretty sure.) Try a search here on the Forum. Good luck. If you have success, please share your experience.
Thanks,
Celia
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #4
FlyingScot

I'm with Rattlesnake Girl. My son's fiancee has a severe nut allergy. One of the things she's taught us to do is evaluate the server's knowledge, expertise, and sensitivity with respect to handling an allergy. If the wait staff does not understand allergy issues, it's because they have not been trained by the kitchen; so that's an indication that the kitchen is not sensitive to the problem.

Some restaurants, such as my beloved Hart's Turkey Farm, just for example, are obviously at sea on allergies; so we stay away when she's with us. Others, such as Town Docks, have a much more knowledgeable staff, so it's stress-free (and nut free) for her to dine there.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

One of the most surprising things when we went into the 110 Grill in Rochester was that after greeting us and asking how many were in the party, we were asked if anyone in the party had any food allergy concerns. Liked that, not that we do, but thought that was nice. Our server, after introducing herself, also asked if anyone had food allergy concerns, a nice backup plan just in case it got missed at the door.

Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 01-08-2018, 07:14 PM   #6
greeleyhill

Default Knowledgeable and Caring Staff is Key

Not that this example helps us up here in the lakes region but the best, and most surprising experience we had was in Disney when we visited a restaurant on property with our daughter who is sensitive to gluten. Our server was first to ask us about allergies and we explained that our daughter was alergic to gluten. Minutes later we were visited by the head chef who came out from the kitchen to meet us and find out more about her allergies to make sure he had a great understanding of what it was. He was awesome - made her feel very comfortable which was key because this allergy was new for my daughter and she was very shy/self-conscious about it. He put all of us at ease - it was awesome - we were very grateful. He conveyed that he would personally oversee ever step of her food prep. It was deeply appreciated.
greeleyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:07 PM   #7
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeleyhill View Post
Not that this example helps us up here in the lakes region but the best, and most surprising experience we had was in Disney when we visited a restaurant on property with our daughter who is sensitive to gluten. Our server was first to ask us about allergies and we explained that our daughter was alergic to gluten. Minutes later we were visited by the head chef who came out from the kitchen to meet us and find out more about her allergies to make sure he had a great understanding of what it was. He was awesome - made her feel very comfortable which was key because this allergy was new for my daughter and she was very shy/self-conscious about it. He put all of us at ease - it was awesome - we were very grateful. He conveyed that he would personally oversee ever step of her food prep. It was deeply appreciated.
Wow! THAT is service!
Hillcountry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:16 PM   #8
Winopt

Default Six Burner Bistro

I have gluten allergies and agree that dining in restaurants can be challenging. If I get the feeling that the staff has no clue, I settle on a salad. However, most restaurants are sensitive to the issue. I recently dined at Six Burner Bistro in Plymouth (great take). The server was very knowledgeable about gluten. I can't remember, but they may have even had a separate menu. The big surprise was when they delivered bread to the table. They served me separately my very own gluten free bread. I've eaten in tons of restaurants, but this was a first. In some ways, if you have gluten issues, in a way, you get penalized, like no bread or I'll settle for a salad. Kudos to Six Burner Bistro for taking the issue, service and sensitivity to a new level!!!
Winopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #9
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
From one who has been burned badly, (So to speak) any restaurant is risky. Too many servers and establishments do not fully understand what gluten free really means. I do recall a thread that had an owner that has CeliacĀ’s Disease, I would try that place. Tavern 27 perhaps? (Pretty sure.) Try a search here on the Forum. Good luck. If you have success, please share your experience.
Thanks,
Celia
Thank you for the mention RG, Fact is; The tavern 27 commitment to accommodating and individuals dietary preferences stems from the dining relationship Leslie and I have shared with my mother. My mom has MS and has learned to control exacerbations with diet. We've witnessed her interrogate waiters and waitresses about the ingredients in the food for better than 20 years now. From day one, here at the tavern we expected our frount-of-the-house staff to be prepared for my mother's arrival. We maintained an approach in the kitchen that includes a dedicated gluten free Fryolater.

The medical community has learned that Gluten, is among a large number of ingredients that when removed from certain individuals diet can result with a better state of being. Our mission is to accommodate a guest regardless of dietary needs or preferences. We believe that it is a chefs responsibility to pursue education beyond culinary arts to include an understanding for the nutritious values as well as potential contamination associated with the food we serve.

I've been being treated for Lyme disease since March 2017. Does anybody remember that saying " i'm not only the hair club president, I'm a member " i've been out and about dining in this community in search of gluten free food on Monday and Tuesday nights when our restaurant is closed. As I mentioned in another post the dish that stands out for me is chicken tenders at Patrick's pub.

Findmeglutenfree.com is a wonderful resource with the opinion of many to help steer people with hopes to avoid gluten.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote