Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
Greene's Basin Girl

Default Music Around The Lake

Do you know if there is a band playing this evening? My forum friends and I would like to listen to some and possibly dance? I live here year round and I am baffled on where to go.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
ironhorsetim

Default Weirs Beach

Tower Hill over in the Weirs or the Paradise just up the road always have live bands and dance.

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ironhorsetim For This Useful Post:
Greene's Basin Girl (05-29-2011)
Old 05-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
Argie's Wife

Depends on what you're looking for...

There's several restaurants/bars with music that I can recommend, like Heat and Crazy Gringos - both in the Weirs. There's also Meme's, Cactus Jacks, and Christmas Island... lots of places, really.

Some local churches do choral arrangements/concerts from time to time.

Many of the towns have music in their town square or other public areas, and those are free. For example, there's usually a band in Alton Bay at the gazebo there every Saturday night from mid-June through Labor Day - and it's anything from country music to blues to rock'n'roll...

Then of course there's the bigger venues, like Meadowbrook or the concert series in Wolfeboro or The Flying Monkey... the types of places where you have to buy a ticket...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post

There's several restaurants/bars with music that I can recommend, like Heat and Crazy Gringos - both in the Weirs. There's also Meme's, Cactus Jacks, and Christmas Island... lots of places, really.

Many of the towns have music in their town square or other public areas, and those are free. For example, there's usually a band in Alton Bay at the gazebo there every Saturday night from mid-June through Labor Day - and it's anything from country music to blues to rock'n'roll...

Then of course there's the bigger venues, like Meadowbrook or the concert series in Wolfeboro or The Flying Monkey... the types of places where you have to buy a ticket...
I often go to Meadowbrook and The Flying Monkey. I was just looking for something tonight and you have given me ideas. Thanks so much for your suggestions.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post

I've been wishing that the music/group choice for the Wolfeboro bandstand Saturday nights was a better quality, but it is put on mostly by volunteers I think, so there is no budget to speak of. It is a great venue, super place to have a picnic and watch the sun go down.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Argie's Wife

One of the best outing experiences we've had like that was going to Barnstead.

Argie plays in a band and they'd been hired to gig at the center of town, at the gazebo. The gazebo was in the middle of a nice lawn, with lots of room to sit, bring a cooler, etc., and the kids could run around in the center of the lawn area, around the gazebo - and could be watched at the same time. (The kids ran in packs and had a blast!)

There was a concession stand, too. ("MOM! Gimme some ice cream money... er, PLEEEZZzZEEE???)

That's one of my favorite places to go for music - nice family atmosphere there and not wild at all... met some nice folks...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:43 AM   #7
Greene's Basin Girl

We stopped at Tower Hill Tavern and the Paradise Beach Club. Both had good music except it was very loud ( especially at Paradise).
Old 05-30-2011, 07:06 AM   #8
ironhorsetim

Hope you had a good time

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #9
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Buckeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
Do you know if there is a band playing this evening? My forum friends and I would like to listen to some and possibly dance? I live here year round and I am baffled on where to go.
GBG, Buckeys has had a lot of good bands. Check out their site for the schedule and info http://www.buckeys.net/
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Bands in the area

GBG, GBG's sister, and I went out last night as she indicated and really enjoyed the music. Bands were terrific. We will have to try Buckys as we all live in Moultonborough. Are there any venues that have a mixed age group....I noted last nite everyone was in their 20s and 30s. Mind you, I enjoy that age group but I felt as if I were with my son's contemporaries...and not mine!! Any suggestions?
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:33 PM   #11
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
GBG, GBG's sister, and I went out last night as she indicated and really enjoyed the music. Bands were terrific. We will have to try Buckys as we all live in Moultonborough. Are there any venues that have a mixed age group....I noted last nite everyone was in their 20s and 30s. Mind you, I enjoy that age group but I felt as if I were with my son's contemporaries...and not mine!! Any suggestions?
I was at the Paradise on Saturday night. Tiger Lily was playing. The group was mixed ages. I'm 54 and had a nice conversation with a 63-year-old gentleman. I was there with my kids and their friends who are all in their twenties. They're very good to me...! ; ) The Paradise is a hoot.

Maybe the band who played Sunday night draws a younger crowd? Was it Jimmy's Down or Fighting Friday? My kids have said that I would enjoy those bands; but Tiger Lily for sure draws a mixed crowd.

I hear the Lobster Pound has some good bands as well. Haven't been there yet, but I think we'll be trying it soon. I believe that Mama Kicks is scheduled to play there.

LOL...let me know the next time you guys are going out, Redwing, and I'll get a group of "grownups" together. That would be fun! : )
Old 06-01-2011, 08:26 AM   #12
Shore Driver

Quote:

If you head down to Meredith, Giuseppe's now has the new grotto with live music.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #13
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Thanks!

Thanks to you, Wakeboardmom and Shore Driver for your information. Is there dancing at Giuseppe's, Shore Driver? Wakeboardmom, I will be at the lake frequently this summer, as I need to "use-up" some accumulated vacation time, and what a better place to spend it!! Would love to get together with a group of your "adult" friends, as well as a group of mine. We'll have to plan something.....wonderful suggestion, and it's always nice to expand my circle of Forum friendships. What town are you in? As I mentioned, Moultonborough is where my cottage is located. Looking forward to getting together, and dancing the night away!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #14
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Thanks to you, Wakeboardmom and Shore Driver for your information. Is there dancing at Giuseppe's, Shore Driver? Wakeboardmom, I will be at the lake frequently this summer, as I need to "use-up" some accumulated vacation time, and what a better place to spend it!! Would love to get together with a group of your "adult" friends, as well as a group of mine. We'll have to plan something.....wonderful suggestion, and it's always nice to expand my circle of Forum friendships. What town are you in? As I mentioned, Moultonborough is where my cottage is located. Looking forward to getting together, and dancing the night away!
We are in Moultonborough as well, at the end of the Neck road, not far from Trexlers.

(If you have friends who'd like to rent, we have a very nice cottage available. ; )
Old 06-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #15
Redwing
Deceased Member

Our cottage is on Wentworth Shore Road, off of Shaker Jerry, so we are very closeby. I'll be at the lake during the first two weeks in July (and again in early August), but will also be up every weekend. It would be great fun to get a group together and hopefully we will overlap with vacation time. I will PM you and we can decide where and when to go! Sarah (aka Redwing) P.S. Thanks for suggesting your cottage rental.... I'll ask around.
The Following User Says Thank You to Redwing For This Useful Post:
WakeboardMom (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #16
Just Sold

With all the talk about music around the lake it reminded me of the Allen “A” Resort in Wolfeboro. It was a great place with many well known musical personalities performing there. When we visited the Boat Museum last year I realized that it was the Allen “A’s theater where these acts played. One of those who played there every year was Salvi Cavicchio from Melrose, MA who also played in my parents living room and patio with my dad when I was young. I bet there are many forum members with memories of the Allen “A”.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #17
tis

Thanked 1,386 Times in 960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
With all the talk about music around the lake it reminded me of the Allen “A” Resort in Wolfeboro. It was a great place with many well known musical personalities performing there. When we visited the Boat Museum last year I realized that it was the Allen “A’s theater where these acts played. One of those who played there every year was Salvi Cavicchio from Melrose, MA who also played in my parents living room and patio with my dad when I was young. I bet there are many forum members with memories of the Allen “A”.
Oh, yes, wonderful memories. I was very small when we went to those things and can just barely remember. THey had dances in the hut and I think even a circus. They also had the circus in the field where the motel is now.

Allen Albee was one of a kind to build a place like that!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:29 PM   #18
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post
I believe that Mama Kicks is scheduled to play there.
Lisa Guyer kicks some butt!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #19
ishoot308

Thanked 4,953 Times in 1,920 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Lisa Guyer kicks some butt!
Yes she does! We have hired her and her band for the last 5 years for our company Christmas party. Always a great time and great music!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #20
Lucky1

Default Those gals can really dance up quite a storm!!

Green's Basin Girl, her sister Diane, Redwing, myself, and a few others all went off dancing after a fund raiser dine around town in Laconia last winter. We then stopped at that new Tapas restaurant called Tavern 27 and had some very nice appetizers.

BELIEVE ME. THESE GALS CAN REALLY DANCE!! It would be nice to know of some places that have music for dancing and food? I had heard that to have food, a band, and a license to serve alcoholic drinks was just too expensive to make a profit. What is the story on that? Is it possible to have both food, alcohol and a band for dancing? Thanks for any ideas.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #21
Redwing
Deceased Member

Default Fun!

Lucky1... You will join us when we all go out in July!! And yes, we all do love to dance! I've been thinking of you and hope all is well and that I'll see you soon. When will you next be at the lake?
Old 06-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #22
WakeboardMom

^^"Like."^^ : )
Old 06-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #23
Lucky1

Default When will you next be at the lake?

Quote:
Lucky1... You will join us when we all go out in July!! And yes, we all do love to dance! I've been thinking of you and hope all is well and that I'll see you soon. When will you next be at the lake?
From your lips to God's ears on when I can be at the lake next. Working on FL!!! I went up for a nice weekend in April. Trying to find your number but do not see it around. Say Hi to Jill, Diane, NH Escape and the other Wallingford gals whose names I forget at the moment. I really really wish I was there. This is going to do me in if I miss my lake as it is where I get my energy!! Will PM you.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #24
Lucky1

Default I wish I had been there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
That fund raiser and then the dance was really fun as I had not danced in DECADES! Am in FL doing work on the unit. Hope I can get to the lake but not at all sure when that will happen. Will certainly be an abbreviated summer for me this year;} Hope I can still get to try the ski do! I don't seem to have my NH numbers here. Hoping to find them or hear what they are? PM me if you can. I miss you all. Will try Googling for the numbers.